Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Why the PlayStation 3 is better than the Xbox 360.

Showing 121 to 140 of 342

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ricardo91

121. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

It's not even about that though.

Quantity doesn't matter, Wii games are basically required to incorporate motion controls in some way.

It's about the games that control great. Flower has shown, when done right, the Sixaxis can provide a better controlling experience than all Wii games that just use the Wii remote.

The Sixaxis is actually more accurate motion wise than the Wii remote when it's without its little buddy, Motion Plus.

Wii fans seem to think the Wii remote alone is great and all and Sixaxis is flat out terrible. That's not true at all.

That's a valid point about Flower proving that the Sixaxis is better than a standard Wii remote, but keep in mind that it took 3 years for Sony to find the true potential of it, just as Nintendo took 3 years to create the Motion+ and show the Wiimote's true potential. Now that the potential of both has been found, the two controllers can finally compete neck-and-neck, but Flower can't wow people forever. The Motion+ will go on to be supported for many games, and Sony hasn't been using the Sixaxis muxh lately. Unless Sony or other companies continue to make games for the PS3 that control as well as Flower, it's gonna be left in the dust.

Just Because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!- Homer Simpson
Nintendolife Chat. I'm never in it, but it's good to ptomote these things.
VC-Forums. We're desperate. Please join.
My Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

122. Posted:

Ricardo91 wrote:

Motorstorm and Wipeout may work decently with the Sixaxis, but I'm positive that they would control better traditionally. And FlOw is barely a game from what I heard. Don't you just randomly wander around and eat bugs or whatever the whole time with zero challenge?

Many games have attempted to add Sixaxis support, with mixed results. Some managed to use it functionally, while other have been disasterous. But almost all of them were better-controlled with traditional controls.

No, Wipeout and Motorstorm don't control better with traditional controls.

And Flow was a really groundbreaking game that made a lot of noise and won a lot of awards. You could reduce Pacman to such a silly concept, but it doesn't make it less of a fun game. Flow does provide challenge, but the challenge is dynamic. You can be sent back levels if you do poorly.

Most games on Wii that have tried motion controls have been awful. Even Nintendo's games have been a mixed bag, and pretty much no other company has gotten it right. Both systems have undergone an awkward learning stage with motion controls akin to the N64 era when everyone was still trying to figure out what to do with 3D to mixed results.

Last I checked, Flower and the other games named came out before Motion Plus and did not require an attachment that's an extra $20 per controller to use. Saying that each platforms motion controls are on even ground is certainly not without bias.

If that's not much to you, fine, but that doesn't discount the strength of Sony's controller. What I like about it is, unlike Wii's controller, I can use motion controls and traditional controls at the same time. No compromising over here.

Not to mention no paying $20 for M+, $20 for a nunchuk, $20 for a classic controller, or any wheels or zappers or balance boards. Even the Wii can be an expensive system if you want to get the most out of it.

For the record, I'm not saying PS3 is better, just that it is not worse. I see no point in such an argument to begin with.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Deadlax

123. Posted:

these videos do not prove anything, they are just one man's beliefs. After owning all three, I do have to admit that the Playstation is a much powerful performing machine and the fact that Blu-ray is on it makes the console great for many forms of entertainment. On the otherhand, Microsoft's XBL is great in itself because of Netflix and the amount of great arcade games, and add-ons for GTA IV and Fallout that strecth the normal playing life of games. In terms of exclusive games, the only one for ps3 that is even worth naming is MGS4, and Xbox even though I hate them is Halo and Gears which suck. In terms of the internet browser that really should make no difference because everybody has computers and why would anybody pride themselves on a browser, you did not buy the system for that .

There is no verdict because they both are great systems and both have alot of different things that they offer, unfortunatly they both do not have the virtual console so that sucks. This is an opinion piece and there is no expert that can decide any of this, but I just find it funny how far people take this.

Deadlax

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

124. Posted:

Apparently some new 360 games aren't in full HD?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/07/31/modern-warfare-2-halo-3-...

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bahamut_ZERO

125. Posted:

This is gold, I leave for a while, and I come back and this thread is 7 pages long :D

I hold by my personal preference of the 360. Online is superior and more fluid (yes, you have to pay ,but you get what you pay for), XBLA, better controller (comfort), and most importantly, my friends. Playing with my friends hands down the most fun I've had with video games in years. The ease and quality of XBLA allows us to do this, not to mention the fact that we all own 360s while only a few own PS3s. Halo is win with my friends, we can goof off and do whatever the hell we want (try building a complex way to kill a Mongoose in MAG). Though in terms of single-player exclusives, the PS3 appeals to me more since I don't like a lot of "manly" games like Gears. However my friends make it far superior.

And to the people saying RROD is an argument, it isn't with the newer consoles. The wireless adapter, even with that added is still the same price as the PS3. As for Live, you get what you pay for. That's one less game a year, big whoop.

This thread is hilarious. It's a console war, on a Nintendo site. I laugh so hard :D

Edited on by Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

126. Posted:

For the record, I do not undestand why some people think Halo is the greatest FPS ever, it is VERY overated. The Xbox 360 cannot handle big RPGs without problems, like Star Ocean:The Last Hope. Even the online is worse on the Xbox 360 then the PlayStation 3. For example, BlackBUSTERCritic said in another video that the X360 version of Soul Calibur IV has lag. But the PS3 version has almost no lag, the online is nearly perfect. I can tell you that he is right, because I own the PS3 version of Soul Calibur IV, and the online connection is nearly perfect. Why pay for Xbox Live when it is worse than the PlayStation Network?

@Bahamut ZERO-I know, it is hilarious, isn't it? :P

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KDR_11k

127. Posted:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

But the DualShock didn't NEED to adjust in any huge way, because it's already so great!

It hurts my hands because of the grip shape. The terrible d-pad should've been fixed long ago (the split is perfect for hurting your thumb) and I have no idea why the sticks remain down there.

That's my opinion, anyway. I'd like to understand yours better, such as what this is all about with "retarded" button names?

The symbols. I believe they made those only so they could trademark them and prevent third parties from making controllers with the symbols on them. The shapes are terrible to remember.

But one thing you have to admit is that Sony's controller setup is REALLY convenient for backwards compatibility. :D

Gonna help them a whole lot when they've removed the backwards compatibility already... IMO they should've dealt with that like Nintendo did, just let people plug in old controllers, don't force your new system to use old designs like the analog sticks in the secondary position when almost nobody still uses the d-pad for movement.

battledevil789 wrote:

360 Controller is a hell of alot better for shooters and more people have 360s so simple as that

FPSes still control like arse on it no matter how much better it is than the Dualshock. Analog stick aiming is like trying to move a loaded supermarket trolley with precision. It can be done as long as you're not in a hurry. Of course in most games you are.

irken004 wrote:

Apparently some new 360 games aren't in full HD?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/07/31/modern-warfare-2-halo-3-...

It's really the story of the whole generation, first they advertise HD big time and then no games actually manage to run at the full resolution. Almost all games run at reduced resolutions on both platforms AFAIK, often even with framerate issues thrown in that have no business being on a system that's so much more powerful than the PS2.

Edited on by KDR_11k

Raincoat whore!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

jbrodack

128. Posted:

Many people like to argue for their favorite team, or console in this case. Nothing wrong with that as long as people don't go too crazy about it. Though I think its funny that some people say the thread or whole console war thing is stupid yet still post a lengthy response on the topic.

wii code: 2630-2655-0027-8482
onslaught friend code: 1977-7779-8949
bomberman blast: 1634 2282 0930

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Firkraag

129. Posted:

I knew I should have avoided this thread like the plague, it's like explaining evolution to christian fundamentalists. But it's amazing what a bit of boredom and lack of sleep will do to a person.

Have fun wasting time arguing with each other about which console is 'the best' while any sane person is off having fun actually playing on theirs and minding their own business. Cheers!

Edited on by Firkraag

There he goes, Firkraag. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. - My VGscore

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bahamut_ZERO

130. Posted:

@Firkraag: Eh, I like arguing. I don't know why, it's just fun :)

@SuperSonic: Halo is not the best FPS ever, CoD4 has that honor, but Halo is super-uber-mega-fun with friends. Halo has a shitty campaign, boring online (almost no sound effects), horrible story, clunky level editor, and horrific load times.
But Custom Games + A bunch of Your pals + A creative game mode = Win.

SCIV doesn't have a lot of lag really. The versions are identical from what I was able to tell. And PSN is not as good as XBL (if money was not taken into account). The party system is simple and fluid, you can just jump right into a game with friends, etc. The "lag"-ness is nonexistent in either console (unless it's a problem with the game), so I have to look at the rest of the features. Like I said, the party system and such is great. Also, with XBox, everyone will have a headset, but with PS3, you never know.

Really though neither console is "better" than others, and people think so really need to think more carefully. It's what you prefer what appeals to you! If Halo appeals to you more than MGS4, you'll like the 360 more. If you want a more fluid online, you'll prefer the 360. If you want higher quality exclusives, you'll go for the PS3. Really, no console is better, it all comes down to opinion. The problem with this thread is it says that the PS3 is better than 360, it is not, the person prefers the PS3 for those reasons. It's like saying somebody is wrong for liking Chocolate Ice Cream while you prefer vanilla. They're not wrong, they just have different opinions. It's like saying someone's wrong for liking hamburgers more than fish. They're not wrong, they just like different stuff about the burger. If you look at most of the stuff I've typed it says "To me, 360 > PS3" or "I like the controller better." I never (if I did it was accidental) say "The Xbox 360 is better than the PS3" or "Halo 3 is better than MGS4." It's all opinionated! Seriously.

Edited on by Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

131. Posted:

@Bahamut ZERO-That's like somebody saying that Halo 3 is better then Super Mario Galaxy or the Xbox 360 is better then the Wii. While I agree people have different tastes in gaming, that doesn't deny the fact that some games/consoles are better than others. The point is that the PS3 is better then the Xbox 360, and there is a ton of proof. I know this more than you guys because I own both consoles. I owned a Xbox 360 since late 2006, and this is my second X360 since my first one crashed. I owned my Wii since late 2007, and except for my Wii not reading Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it has worked nearly perfectly. The Wii is supposed to be techinally inferior to the X360, but the X360 has techinal problems galore. The X360 was released to soon, Microsoft released the X360 a year earlier to get a head start on the competition, but it backfired on them. I used to thought that the X360 was superior then the PS3. But after I bought and played my PS3, I understood how wrong I was.

Play the PS3, and you will understand. Oh, and choclate ice cream is better then vanilla ice cream. :P

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

132. Posted:

As if. Chocolate, vanilla, banana, strawberry swirl is the best. Get your act together, Super Sonic. :D

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

133. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

As if. Chocolate, vanilla, banana, strawberry swirl is the best. Get your act together, Super Sonic. :D

That's true, I have sadly have never tried that special treat. I'm on a diet, diets suck. :P

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

134. Posted:

@Deadlax: Hey, don't go dissing the web browser! I use my PS3 browser every day (I'm using it right now as I type this), and it's a HUGE feature to me (Wii browser just sucks, 'cause the point-and-click with the Wiimote doesn't work so well). Logically, Microsoft should've been able to have the best game console browser ever because they of all people would know how to optimize their own browser for their own console. The fact that they didn't bother is simply pathetic.

@KDR_11k: "Secondary" position? On the Playstation controller, it's primary, and it works. It's actually far superior for some games, like Katamari. And I don't care how much you diss the PS3 D-pad, it's got the 360's beat hands-down! Nothing wrong with the shapes, either. They're easy to learn and use if you actually use the controller. You're starting to sound like you outright refuse to do so, and as such are speaking out of ignorance. I apologize if that is no so, but that's what it sounds like.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bahamut_ZERO

135. Posted:

@SuperSonic: What gave you the idea I don't own both?
And someone can say Halo is better than SMG, we like SMG better because it appeals to our tastes. The PS3 may have more ups than the 360, but the ups the 360 has may be what the person is looking for in a game console. See? Opinionated.

@Adam: Ew. Banana ice cream? No thanks.

Bahamut_ZERO

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

136. Posted:

Actually, I was thinking of milk shakes, now that you mention it. I'm not sure if I've even tried banana flavor ice cream. But the rest of my swirl applies to ice cream just as readily as milk shakes. On this I will not bend.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KDR_11k

137. Posted:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@KDR_11k: "Secondary" position? On the Playstation controller, it's primary, and it works.

No it's not. The resting place for the left thumb is naturally where the d-pad is located, moving to the a-stick bends it more.

And I don't care how much you diss the PS3 D-pad, it's got the 360's beat hands-down!

They both suck total arse and I have no idea why they won't finally admit defeat and accept that Nintendo's design is just the best now that the patent on that expired and anyone can use it. At least the 360 tucks the dpad away into a position where it can't do much harm.

Nothing wrong with the shapes, either. They're easy to learn and use if you actually use the controller. You're starting to sound like you outright refuse to do so, and as such are speaking out of ignorance. I apologize if that is no so, but that's what it sounds like.

I use the controller for games, not button matching sequences. I memorize button functions by position, not the symbol on them that I can't see while playing anyway. Works perfectly fine until some designer runs out of ideas and decides the only way to implement something is by showing a button prompt on the screen which then leads to a game of frantically trying to remember which button looked like that before the reaction time window ends. To be fair it's terrible on all systems, the PS* just makes it worse because letters and primary colors are easier to remember than shapes and secondary colors, especially stuff like A/B being on the lower row and X/Y on the upper. I hear in God of War 3 they'll try to fix that mess by showing the button prompt on the screen edge that corresponds to the button position but that still doesn't fix the root issue of button matching sequences being utterly retarded.

Edited on by KDR_11k

Raincoat whore!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stuffgamer1

138. Posted:

@KDR_11k: You clearly don't hold the PS3 controller the same way I do. The way I hold it (when playing games that use the analog stick or web browsing), it's a stretch upwards to reach the D-pad, not vice-versa.

How can you say they BOTH suck? I've heard a TON of complaints about the 360 D-pad, but very few about the PS3's (pretty much all of them on this thread, in fact). At least it offers precision, which the 360's D-pad DEFINITELY lacks. It also works better for button functions on analog-based games because they're separate buttons and you're less likely to accidentally press the wrong one. Even the Nintendo D-pad is worse for that than Sony!

You memorize button functions by position on a game-by-game basis without ever bothering to learn what the buttons ARE? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. It took me almost no time at all to learn the Playstation controller. Matter of fact, I found the Xbox one much harder because it moved the letters about relative to the way Nintendo does it.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bahamut_ZERO

139. Posted:

@Stuffgamer: The 360 d-pad sucks, but that only hurts in 2-D fighters, which I hate :P
Anyways, I also memorize the button functions on a game-by-game basis. I didn't even give my method a second though. I thought it was normal :(

Bahamut_ZERO

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Slapshot

140. Posted:

Competition is what runs our gaming industry. All systems have their weakness and high points. I loved my XBOX but grew very tired of schmups quickly after Halo 2 and Black though the controller is excellent for the schmups over the sixaxis. I have a PS3 only now because of its very long life cycles and BluRay capabilites. Oh I read today that future game releases on multisystems will start having to be multiple disc for 360 compared to single BlueRay on PS3, not really a big deal but the developers will have to use multiple disc to store all the data to put the games on 360 instead of PS3 exclusive. I cant remember what game its goin to be that will have this but they said it will be 3 disc on 360. FF13 Maybe but not sure.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82

Sorry, this topic has been locked.