Forums

Topic: Why people aren't respecting Nintendo?

Posts 161 to 180 of 237

Juma009

Hey guys, Im pretty new to posting on forums and this site but I been a nintendo gamer for a long long time, I would like to add my 2 cents, I dont believe Nintendo's main problems are old IP's or hardware weaknesses, I think Nintendo's decline is being caused by the image gamers have of Nintendo, Nintendo isnt a "cool" company anymore, Sony took gaming from a past time or family entertainment (NES Slogan) and made it into an activity, a hobby and a hobby that anyone could jump into regardless of age, just like what we did to Atari (excuse me adding myself to Nintendo but I do feel like they are my team to cheer for) This has happened all around, why people chose facebook over myspace, who knows, why people buy dre beats over any other headphone? its hard to explain or predict peoples opinion of whats cool, but I do know that Sony, Facebook, Dre beats and more aimed directly at teenagers, and teenagers lead the way now a days, back in my day it was kids and teens copying adults now is adults and kids acting like teens, Nintendo needs to refresh their image, kinda like Apple did, many of you might not remember but before the first ipod Apple was a long gone memory, Nintendo needs to separate themselves from the whole "gamer world" like instead of calling it mp3 apple called it Ipod, intead of a pc its a mac and aim to the leading consumers now a days, its not an easy task, apple succeeded but god knows how many companies failed, but Nintendo still has the talent, the licenses and support from 4-5 million true loyal fans, (thats all there is really) The Wii was an interesting idea, I wished they'd have treat it more as a long project than a gimmick, The Wii U's fate is sealed, it will be the third place console, it's ok, as long as it breaks even or brings a little profit or even a minor loss, Nintendo can take it. but next console Nintendo must change their image, new ideas must be presented, for example an MMO Pokemon somehow linked to the portable version as well, Pokemon is still hot, find clever ways to advertise it and people might start finding it interesting, support indies the way they are now, find some exclusives, convince Sega to do a new Phantasy Star online exclusive to us, invest in a sports division, how is it that we cant play a football/soccer/basketball/baseball game in a Nintendo console and pls dont put Mario in it, stop milking Mario and platformers, its a dying genre, we need a first person shooter to at least put us in the game, bring back RPG's. there has to be a way.

Juma009

Doma

@GuSilverFlame @Samurai_Goroh

• Where i live their games are overpriced to hell, and they never get reduced regardless of age.
  • I said dumbing down or ignore. Other M is a dumbed down POS in every aspect, imo. The series was ignored by them thereafter.

As for Fire Emblem, the dumbing down applies to more than just a difficulty setting. I could provide you a huge list of how exactly, but nevermind. I'll just state a couple of the main issues: Game balance (many things affected this), storyline (almost non-existent, it didn't engage me in the slightest) and shallow characters.

• I mean communication as in two-way. They barely respond to, or give customer the opportunity to ask questions of them. Nintendo direct are one-way.

I hope that clarifies my points better.

Edited on by Doma

Doma

3DS Friend Code: 1676-4095-0912

SCRAPPER392

@Kodeen
3rd iteration? Wii and DSi weren't going to have an account system, period. 3DS and Wii U are technically their first attempt at offering an account system, which they are slowly and uninformatively implementing.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Caryslan

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Doma wrote:

Here are few examples, OP. Do you think Nintendo deserves respect for any of the following practices?

• Region locking
  • Overpriced games
  • Lacking a proper account system
  • Making no effort whatsoever to communicate with their customers
  • An almost constantly barren game line-up
  • Dumbing down or ignoring games/series that had any depth to them (Metroid, Fire Emblem etc.)

ok 3.5 points that are off the mark here:
Nintendo games are cheaper than Sony and Microsoft games, at least where I live(NOT COUNTING DIGITAL)
they have Nintendo Directs, if that's not an effort to reach out the costumers I don't know what it is
their lineup isn't barren so often(or at least wasn't until some years ago... >.>)
Fire Emblem isn't ignored and the only real dumbing down I've seen is the 100% optional casual mode in Awakening, can't talk about Metroid because I haven't played Other M.

In the US, its the reverse. I think there is a point to be made about the price of Nintendo's games. While I don't think they are overpriced when it comes to new games, Nintendo is pretty much the only one of the big three that does not matain a budget line on their systems. The Player's Choice label is long gone, and the Nintendo Selects were very limited in scope, and did not cover the DS and 3DS systems.

Sony and Microsoft games tend to get cheaper as time goes on, and when you also factor in the fact that both of them have a budget line, and tend to do releases that bundle older games in a single package or bundle DLC content with a game, and it kinda puts Nintendo's pricing in perspective.

Now, the most common argument I see people use is that Nintendo has no reason to drop the price of older games since they still keep selling. That works for evergreen titles like Pokémon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and games like that. But I have trouble believing that's the case for every single Nintendo game that comes out.

Not to mention, Nintendo had a full-budget line on the SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo 64, and Gamecube. The one on the Gamecube was pretty comparable to the budget lines on the PS2 and the Xbox. But during the Wii and DS era, Nintendo killed the Player's Choice line, and developed a terrible habit of keeping much older games at full price.

That's where this argument comes from. In terms of new games, all three are comparable. But when it comes to older games, especially the ones put out by Nintendo, their games tend to be overpriced compared to the older games on Sony and Microsoft platforms.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

DualWielding

Nintendo games are overpriced, they are the same as the other at launch but Nintendo never discounts them...... they may be justified in that people keep on buying them at full prices years after release but that doesn't change the fact that the prices alienate budget concious gamers...... Sony just had an amazing sale where I got Tokyo Jungle, Back to the Future and Braid for 0.99 each, the sum for all three games was less than Nintendo charges for a NES VC titile even when they are on sale.......

PSN: Fertheseeker

bezerker99

ferthepoet wrote:

Nintendo games are overpriced, they are the same as the other at launch but Nintendo never discounts them...... they may be justified in that people keep on buying them at full prices years after release but that doesn't change the fact that the prices alienate budget concious gamers...... Sony just had an amazing sale where I got Tokyo Jungle, Back to the Future and Braid for 0.99 each, the sum for all three games was less than Nintendo charges for a NES VC titile even when they are on sale.......

That was such a great sale! I also got Back to the Future and Tokyo Jungle over the weekend~

Dave24

Why people aren't respecting Nintendo? Well, there is barely any communication with them - I mean, after years of begging, they finally brought Earthbound, and that was probably only because the WiiU wasn't selling that well, so they wanted to bring something to play, so why not something that wasn't released in EU at all? Same with Operation Rainfall - they say it's not the reason they released these games, but I think without it, the games would never brought any attention to themselves without this.

Region lock is another story and really stupid idea. Same with account system - tying purches to the console is horrendous. It could be good in 2005 or even 2007, but in 2012 people expect better.

Prices are not that big of a deal to me, though - in my opinion, the games are worth it. At least they're awesome and have replay value, so you get your money's worth.

Dave24

SCRAPPER392

@kodeen
Purchases aren't tied to 3DS systems, anymore. They are working towards it. I don't see what the rush is, as long as they are actually working on it, which they are.

Cross-buy isn't even standard. PS Vita and PS3(not sure if PS4 does it) do it, but not all the games are even compatible. Notice how PS2 and some potential cross-buy games, aren't cross-buy. Even though PS has more cross-buy software, the type of cross-buy everyone is expecting from Nintendo, is alot more fleshed out.

PS Vita can play PS1, minis, and a few cross-buy games.
Everyone expects Nintendo to allow NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, GBA, etc. to run on both, and have potential eShop download games be cross-buy.
Guess which situation would be harder to accomplish? The answer is Nintendo's, because even PS hasn't offered as much as you all expect from Nintendo.

Qwest

DualWielding

@SCAR392 purchases are still tied to the system in the 3DS as well as on the Wii U, yes now they are tied to the NNID, but NNID is tied to console so the NNID does nothing for you in case you don't have access to the console or can't send it back to Nintendo... and I still waiting to hear any official statement from Nintendo saying they are working on the issue.... at this point there is no indication that Nintendo doesn't plan to untie games from the consoles.....even worst they launched the Pokemon Bank system which is supposed to be a 'cloud' storage system for your pokemon, but your pokemon are also tied to your hardware just as digital games...... if they feel its o.k to charge for a 'cloud' storage system for pokemon that does not even do what 'cloud' storage is suppose to do (allowing you to access the content on different systems) then Nintendo really seem to have no respect for consumers......

Edited on by DualWielding

SCRAPPER392

@ferthepoet
Dude, if you lose your console, they'll activate the new one, if you call them and tell them the new serial number. They wouldn't have done this, a few months ago, so that proves they are working on it. There have been a couple people, here on the boards, that have confirmed this. I'm not BSing you.

The only issue, is that it's not available for Wii U(as far as I know), and you can't do it, without calling Nintendo.

They've been saying that they are listening to what consumers want from an account system. That's why if someone is telling you info, and you still don't listen, then it's pointless to even talk about the subject.

Qwest

DualWielding

@SCAR392 if that is true then that would be a great improvement..... but when have Nintendo said they would transfer your account just by telling them the serial number over the phone, I have not heard anything about that

SCRAPPER392

@ferthepoet
Nintendo never said they would, publicly, but people call them and they get you taken care of. Allowing you to transfer your account isn't something they will ask Nintendo Life or any website to publish, but I can assure you that it is happening.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Socar

@Juma009
Ok to defend the milking of the Mario series here since I'm a huge Mario fan.......

First of, Nintendo only makes one type of a Mario game in only one system so don't expect 3D land's sequel to come on 3DS anytime soon. Secondly every Mario game is a completely different one and most of them are the ones that people really want like Mario Kart, Golf, RPG's you name it!

So seriously stop saying that milking term because its ridiculous. How come no one complains about COD, GTA, or Pokemon even?????

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

SkywardLink98

They've kind of shifted audiences. Anyone remember when Nintendo made a system more powerful than Sony did? That was the Gamecube actually, but Nintendo has shifted it's focus back from that and onto a more casual side of gaming. The other guys are doing big, gritty, adult-oriented games (Though my 8 year old sister loves the inFamous games, lol) like Titanfall, Killzone, Dead Rising, etc. and Nintendo is sticking to family friendly stuff (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc.) so it's gonna be branded as a "kiddie" simply due to the fact they are the only ones making games that I'd let a kid play (though the fact parents buy their 8 year olds CoD is another thing). When you cater to the family centric audience like Nintendo does, it's no doubt going to affect how people looking for less family oriented games will look at you.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

SkywardLink98

Artwark wrote:

no one complains about COD,

What world do you live on where no one complains about Call of Duty? Pretty much everyone who doesn't buy it complains about it.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.

JakeOfAllTrades

@SkywardLink98
I think the bigger meat of the problem is that we played Nintendo as kids. As we grew up, a good majority of us decided it was a "good thing" to abandon what we liked as kids. Younger generations now want to look like they act maturely, so they look to the "mature" people, and see them playin' the higher ESRB rated games, and ninty's left with it's true fans.

Go ahead and play, it's okay.

3DS Friend Code: 1032-2563-3798 | Nintendo Network ID: AlphaGamer10

DualWielding

@Artwark the problem is not too much Mario but the lack of everything else..... on the 3DS it doesn't matter because there is third party support but its really hard selling a Wii U to someone who hates Mario

MAB

I'm still waiting for all this 3rd party support on 3DS everyone keeps bangin' on about

MAB

SkywardLink98

JakeOfAllTrades wrote:

@SkywardLink98
I think the bigger meat of the problem is that we played Nintendo as kids. As we grew up, a good majority of us decided it was a "good thing" to abandon what we liked as kids. Younger generations now want to look like they act maturely, so they look to the "mature" people, and see them playin' the higher ESRB rated games, and ninty's left with it's true fans.

I'm in the younger generation, and all of my friends that play games play Nintendo. Out of all of my gamer friends only two of us even own a console that isn't Nintendo (myself and one other), and those that do own more Nintendo consoles, so it seems that the majority of 14/15 year-olds play on Nintendo consoles.

RobbEJay

JakeOfAllTrades wrote:

@SkywardLink98

Its not just looking mature, its the allure of the forbidden fruit. The fact that those games are rated M means means they're 'not for them' and that allure isn't just tantalizing by itself it make you feel mature cause your doing the "grown up" thing. After all what kid hasn't gotten curious about coffee, alcohol, or whatever else they see the adults enjoying? Its not a younger generation thing, its a growing up thing, and its not just children who do it. Modern games just happen to be much more detailed than ones many of up grew up with.

RobbEJay

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.