Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Why not have a unified console platform?

Showing 21 to 40 of 64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

21. Posted:

Hy8ogen wrote:

It's not a hard comcept to grasp really. Brother works with each other but at the same time compete with each other through sibling rivalry. Competition drives this world, it's human nature. Unless all of us got turned into peace making hippies.

yup, a friendly rivalry is a healthy way to find improvement.
drugged hippies and communists are wrong(no sarcasm I really dislike commies)

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OdnetninAges

22. Posted:

As long as we still got games from different series, and it wasn't just limited to the "big sellers", then I'm all in for this idea.

Console Usernames: Rc

LOL, HASHTAG

I got my 3DS back from repair!!

Can't wait to use Lucina and Pac-Man in the new SSB.

Miiverse Profile

My Anime List

NSLU Playthrough with friends

Check out Ninten-Times!

The Pinnacle of Human Achievement

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

23. Posted:

Hey guys where I can buy a MSX10 or a 7DO?

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CaviarMeths

24. Posted:

Because competition drives creativity and innovation. Look what happens with FIFA and Madden with EA having virtually no competition in online sports games. Every new game is basically just a roster update.

Courage is the magic that turns durrr into reherrdurr.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SethNintendo

25. Posted:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Because competition drives creativity and innovation. Look what happens with FIFA and Madden with EA having virtually no competition in online sports games. Every new game is basically just a roster update.

PES used to compete with FIFA but everyone seems to have gone to FIFA lately (no clue why because I don't play soccer games but I believe FIFA started becoming better than PES).

However, take a look at NBA. EA can't compete against 2K in NBA (hence why they abandoned NBA Live for many years). Last year they released Live on PS4 and xbox one) and it got terrible reviews and sales. I bet they will abandon Live again within another year or two. Simply put... EA can't compete worth a crap against 2K in NBA.

Edited on by SethNintendo

Nintendo + PC combo

Nintendo Network ID: SethNES | Twitter: twitteristheworst

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MercifulLemon7

26. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Competition only benefits us as consumers. Makes companies want to offer better products and try to sell them at a lower price. It's basic economics.

Prettt much what I was going to say^

I dislike the word cake specially the k in it.
was TheKungFuMaster got demoted to Batchu then evolve to MercifulLemon7
Lemons shall rule all on earth.

3DS Friend Code: 4811-7194-1590 | Nintendo Network ID: MercifulLemon7

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CaviarMeths

27. Posted:

SethNintendo wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Because competition drives creativity and innovation. Look what happens with FIFA and Madden with EA having virtually no competition in online sports games. Every new game is basically just a roster update.

PES used to compete with FIFA but everyone seems to have gone to FIFA lately (no clue why because I don't play soccer games but I believe FIFA started becoming better than PES).

However, take a look at NBA. EA can't compete against 2K in NBA (hence why they abandoned NBA Live for many years). Last year they released Live on PS4 and xbox one) and it got terrible reviews and sales. I bet they will abandon Live again within another year or two. Simply put... EA can't compete worth a crap against 2K in NBA.

EA can't compete for crap with anyone really, which is why they like having a monopoly.

Courage is the magic that turns durrr into reherrdurr.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shaneoh

28. Posted:

Untitled

Where else can you play Nintendo/SEGA/Atari/Playstation on the one system?

shaneoh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CaviarMeths

29. Posted:

^ I refuse to believe that anyone does any serious gaming on an HP. :P

Courage is the magic that turns durrr into reherrdurr.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

30. Posted:

I tried to use an HP for gaming.

Now I use a Samsung netbook.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CaviarMeths

31. Posted:

I gave my HP laptop to my brother when I got a real laptop. Sadly, he attempted to use it for more than Microsoft Office and emails, and it died on him within a few months.

I think my mom had moderate success in getting Candy Crush to work on her HP though.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Courage is the magic that turns durrr into reherrdurr.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ZeroZX_Dev

32. Posted:

After plenty of pondering, gaming, searching, meta-physical philosophy, eating and (not) going outside (it's overrated anyway), I got it:
What do you mean by "one" gaming platform? Like one game console? One tablet format and OS? One handheld system? One PC?
Right there is the problem: gaming isn't one thing it never has been and has come to far to go to that point. There's different types of gaming, each with different types of platforms: iOS and Android, Windows, Linux, and many others, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo, the list goes on. If you've been for as long as I have or longer, you should know this already. Heck, even PC isn't uniform. Gaming isn't one thing new gamers, it's multiple. We should be treating each type (Arcade, Console, Handheld, PC and Mobile) like their own thing, it saves us time and headaches.

TLDR: This is impossible because gaming isn't one form, it's multiple.

Edited on by ZeroZX_Dev

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account
This is a video game
先輩くん、俺を 心付いてください。

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter: ZeroZXDev

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

33. Posted:

Exclusives are pretty much always bad for the consumer (10:56 onwards if the link didn't work)

The funny part is that this behaviour is present in the Tombraider thread. On the first page already we can see people bragging about owning the platform, and others trying to say that they don't care about it anyway, or even calling the game bad before its out!

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ZeroZX_Dev

34. Posted:

Actually exclusives, 1st party or not, are good for the consumer. It's not limiting options, it's opening more for the open minded. The consoles have to be different to sell, and this is done through more than just looking different. TB himself also said all the consoles aren't equal, so why provide the same exact products for both? The Xbone isn't the PS4, and PS4 isn't a Wii U. That's not even touching on the creative decision to stay on one platform.
"Everything 3rd party should be multi-platform" is, quite frankly, a poor new gen way of looking at things in more ways than one. It's like people don't remember this is the way console gaming has been since the early days.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account
This is a video game
先輩くん、俺を 心付いてください。

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter: ZeroZXDev

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

35. Posted:

ZeroZX_Dev wrote:

Actually exclusives, 1st party or not, are good for the consumer. It's not limiting options, it's opening more for the open minded. The consoles have to be different to sell, and this is done through more than just looking different. TB himself also said all the consoles aren't equal, so why provide the same exact products for both? The Xbone isn't the PS4, and PS4 isn't a Wii U. That's not even touching on the creative decision to stay on one platform.
"Everything 3rd party should be multi-platform" is, quite frankly, a poor new gen way of looking at things in more ways than one. It's like people don't remember this is the way console gaming has been since the early days.

If you were talking about a platform that offered something exclusive like the Wii U does Gamepad functionality then I would agree with you to an extent, but neither the PS4 or XBONE do that in any real capacity, so how do those platforms having third party exclusives help consumers? You also don't need to provide the same product on all platforms to have a simultaneous release. Having to force consumers to buy a new platform or wait a couple of months to get a game isn't opening up options for the open minded - it is by definition limiting them. Not everyone can afford to buy a new platform, and in that case it doesn't really matter how open minded they are.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralek85

36. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

If you were talking about a platform that offered something exclusive like the Wii U does Gamepad functionality then I would agree with you to an extent, but neither the PS4 or XBONE do that in any real capacity, so how do those platforms having third party exclusives help consumers?

Well, it really depends on the exclusive, but I think it helps in that, if it is an exclusive, the platformer owner puts his support behind the game. Most of the time, at least among others, this means money, money and more money. I think, not so long ago, P* Games said, that if it weren't for Nintendo, Bayonetta 2 would likely not have happened. I guess the same is probably true for Scalebound and Microsoft. I don't know about TR, but obviously Square Enix is getting paid enough to make it worth their time ... who knows maybe we got spared an episodic TR entry, or one riddled by microtransactions, by Microsofts' money.
I think it depends than, what you consider "good" in this context.

EDIT: I wanted to add, in regards to the first post, we have an unified system. It's just a matter of patience.. any game ends up on PC sooner or later, if only by the means of enough processing power and emulation, so it really seems like a mood point to me.

Edited on by Ralek85

3DS Friend Code: 2809-7989-1816 | Nintendo Network ID: Ralek85

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

37. Posted:

Ralek85 wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

If you were talking about a platform that offered something exclusive like the Wii U does Gamepad functionality then I would agree with you to an extent, but neither the PS4 or XBONE do that in any real capacity, so how do those platforms having third party exclusives help consumers?

Well, it really depends on the exclusive, but I think it helps in that, if it is an exclusive, the platformer owner puts his support behind the game. Most of the time, at least among others, this means money, money and more money. I think, not so long ago, P* Games said, that if it weren't for Nintendo, Bayonetta 2 would likely not have happened. I guess the same is probably true for Scalebound. I don't know about TR, but obviously Square Enix is getting paid enough to make it worth their time ... who knows maybe we got spared a episodic TR entry, or one riddled by microtransactions, by Microsofts' money.
I think it depends than, what you consider "good" in this context.

It means money for the company, not the consumer. I'm arguing that exclusives are always bad for consumers (Exclusives are of course always beneficial to a company, and it's why they still exist). Bayonetta 2 is an understandable case, whereby the game wouldn't have happened otherwise, but this was obviously not the case with Tomb Raider. The game was multiplatform, and sold over 6 million copies. I know Square Enix claimed it didn't make enough, but you can bet they would have released it simultaneously on all platforms if there wasn't any agreement anyway. You cant just assume that the game would have been worse for everyone if Microsoft hadn't payed Square Enix for a short exclusivity period - the first game was highly well received!

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

38. Posted:

exclusives are cool, without them everyone would just buy the cheapest console of the gen since all the games would be the same anyway and the gaming industry would become a race to take the price down since neither power nor innovation would make any difference, the quality would definitely drop a lot.
also only the first parties and the third parties that get an exclusivity deal benefit from exclusive games, basically an exclusive game only happens if the first party is willing to have it(every rule has exceptions, especially when it comes to Nintendo)

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralek85

39. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

It means money for the company, not the consumer. I'm arguing that exclusives are always bad for consumers (Exclusives are of course always beneficial to a company, and it's why they still exist). Bayonetta 2 is an understandable case, whereby the game wouldn't have happened otherwise, but this was obviously not the case with Tomb Raider. The game was multiplatform, and sold over 6 million copies. I know Square Enix claimed it didn't make enough, but you can bet they would have released it simultaneously on all platforms if there wasn't any agreement anyway. You cant just assume that the game would have been worse for everyone if Microsoft hadn't payed Square Enix for a short exclusivity period - the first game was highly well received!

I'd argue more games, means more more choice and competition, and that is certainly a good thing for the consumer.
As for TR, I think in fact, not only can you assume that Square Enix would have found a way to make more money with Tomb Raider, but you can almost be certain of it. What else would they do?
Make basically the same game, market it the same way, use the same business model and keep their fingers crossed that this turns out more profitable? That's not how the industry works, and it'S the very reason why we ended up, where we are right now. That's how DLC replaced Add-Ons, what gave rise to F2P, what brought on the focused on mobile and micro-transactions ... you don't have to be clairvoyant to see where this is going, do you?

3DS Friend Code: 2809-7989-1816 | Nintendo Network ID: Ralek85

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ZeroZX_Dev

40. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

ZeroZX_Dev wrote:

Actually exclusives, 1st party or not, are good for the consumer. It's not limiting options, it's opening more for the open minded. The consoles have to be different to sell, and this is done through more than just looking different. TB himself also said all the consoles aren't equal, so why provide the same exact products for both? The Xbone isn't the PS4, and PS4 isn't a Wii U. That's not even touching on the creative decision to stay on one platform.
"Everything 3rd party should be multi-platform" is, quite frankly, a poor new gen way of looking at things in more ways than one. It's like people don't remember this is the way console gaming has been since the early days.

If you were talking about a platform that offered something exclusive like the Wii U does Gamepad functionality then I would agree with you to an extent, but neither the PS4 or XBONE do that in any real capacity, so how do those platforms having third party exclusives help consumers? You also don't need to provide the same product on all platforms to have a simultaneous release.

Games define the platform. Xbox? FPS and sports games. PlayStation? JRPGs and Western support. I can't play Persona 5 on my Wii. You can't play Mega Man Star Force on your PSP*. I can't play Final Fantasy XII on my Gamecube. This is the way consoles work. You should the console of your choice based on games are present for it. Even in retro: MM 7 wasn't on SEGA Genesis neither were any of the SNES Final Fantasy games or a crap ton of RPGs. If I like RPGs that means I should want a SNES to play them. But here's the thing, I don't have to. It's all about choice, you don't have to buy that platform if you don't want to. Just keep in mind you aren't playing that game. This is how you console game, these are the rules of console gaming, this is how console gaming has always been.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account
This is a video game
先輩くん、俺を 心付いてください。

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter: ZeroZXDev