Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Tomb Raider sales mistake.......

Showing 41 to 60 of 65

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

41. Posted:

That graph contributes to this discussion as much as this picture of this dog scooping up feces does.

Untitled

Edited on by Aviator

When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

42. Posted:

What a nice, accurate graph.

Just kidding.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

43. Posted:

Beyond being fanboyism what is that Graph even trying to say.

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

44. Posted:

Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 seem to be abandoning that graph posthaste.
and who could blame them

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

45. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pikminboy

46. Posted:

Eien1239 wrote:

Tomb Raider did not sell 3.4 million that was the expectations. it actually sold 1.63 mil as of 23rd of may. Digital sales can't make up that amount.

Fantastic story bro

Pikminboy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamer83

47. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

IAmNotWill

48. Posted:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

...What the hell? Where'd you get this info from? Many Wii U only gamers will buy a 3rd party game if they can get it on their system.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

49. Posted:

IAmNotWill wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

...What the hell? Where'd you get this info from?

Find me a non-casual 3rd party Wii title that sold 1,000,000 that isn't Sonic. Or anywhere near. That is your answer.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cheetahman91

50. Posted:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

Agreed. By the time Bayonetta 2 comes out, some Nintendo game like Mario Kart or whatever will have come out, and a lot of the ones who were talking about getting Bayonetta will have forgotten about it thanks to the Nintendo game. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way it usually goes.

As for not caring about third party games, I think it also has a lot to do with them just not having any interest in those types of games in general. I know that's how I am. I couldn't care less about 99 percent of these Western AAA titles like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite or the upcoming ones like GTA V. Like I said earlier, I think that a lot of Ninty fans feel the same way as well and the third parties know this. Once again, nothing wrong with this but it puts a lot of pressure on Nintendo to deliver great first party titles. Personally, I know that they can do it, but they need to take their time on their games and not do rehashes like the NSMB series. Of course, that means that the amount of Nintendo games coming out will be more spread out over time, which means that the Wii U could take longer to sell in the long run. This is going to be a very interesting generation for them in the home console market.

...aaaaaaand with that long post concluded, it's time for bed :P

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

51. Posted:

Waymores_Blues wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

Agreed. By the time Bayonetta 2 comes out, some Nintendo game like Mario Kart or whatever will have come out, and a lot of the ones who were talking about getting Bayonetta will have forgotten about it thanks to the Nintendo game. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way it usually goes.

As for not caring about third party games, I think it also has a lot to do with them just not having any interest in those types of games in general. I know that's how I am. I couldn't care less about 99 percent of these Western AAA titles like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite or the upcoming ones like GTA V. Like I said earlier, I think that a lot of Ninty fans feel the same way as well and the third parties know this. Once again, nothing wrong with this but it puts a lot of pressure on Nintendo to deliver great first party titles. Personally, I know that they can do it, but they need to take their time on their games and not do rehashes like the NSMB series. Of course, that means that the amount of Nintendo games coming out will be more spread out over time, which means that the Wii U could take longer to sell in the long run. This is going to be a very interesting generation for them in the home console market.

...aaaaaaand with that long post concluded, it's time for bed :P

I'll have to agree with your stance on Nintendo fans' views on western titles, because in my case, that's definitely true.

I've enjoyed a number of big western titles in my day, and I don't deny that games like Tomb Raider & Bioshock Infinite are probably great, but for some reason, there's nothing about those games that truly excites me.

I get much more excited about big name Japanese titles, such as Ace Combat, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of, Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive, ect. (some even garner more excitement from me than Nintendo titles. Really the only Nintendo titles I get that excited about are Zelda, Metroid, Mario RPGs, and Smash Bros).

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamer83

52. Posted:

Waymores_Blues wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

Agreed. By the time Bayonetta 2 comes out, some Nintendo game like Mario Kart or whatever will have come out, and a lot of the ones who were talking about getting Bayonetta will have forgotten about it thanks to the Nintendo game. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way it usually goes.

As for not caring about third party games, I think it also has a lot to do with them just not having any interest in those types of games in general. I know that's how I am. I couldn't care less about 99 percent of these Western AAA titles like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite or the upcoming ones like GTA V. Like I said earlier, I think that a lot of Ninty fans feel the same way as well and the third parties know this. Once again, nothing wrong with this but it puts a lot of pressure on Nintendo to deliver great first party titles. Personally, I know that they can do it, but they need to take their time on their games and not do rehashes like the NSMB series. Of course, that means that the amount of Nintendo games coming out will be more spread out over time, which means that the Wii U could take longer to sell in the long run. This is going to be a very interesting generation for them in the home console market.

...aaaaaaand with that long post concluded, it's time for bed :P

I have no problem if somebody prefers Nintendo's games, it's just annoying when people act like a great game like Tomb Raider isn't relevant simply because it's not the kind of game they like. I couldn't care less about the Elder Scrolls series, but I certainly respect it for what it brings to the industry. It's just not for me.

I agree with your last statement, this will be an interesting gen for Nintendo but I think in the end it will, fairly easily, win the hardware sales battle again because its console will be the least expensive and obviously millions of people (myself included) want to play its big first party franchises. I'm going to get a PS4 first but I will definitely be getting a Wii U at some point after that to play the next 3D Mario, the next Zelda, the next Metroid and lots of other PS4 and next Xbox owners will do the same. That's the one advantage Nintendo has, no matter how many things people may say the company is doing wrong, the vast majority will still buy its consoles eventually because the AAA franchises it has are awesome and can't be missed.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

53. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Waymores_Blues wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

Agreed. By the time Bayonetta 2 comes out, some Nintendo game like Mario Kart or whatever will have come out, and a lot of the ones who were talking about getting Bayonetta will have forgotten about it thanks to the Nintendo game. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way it usually goes.

As for not caring about third party games, I think it also has a lot to do with them just not having any interest in those types of games in general. I know that's how I am. I couldn't care less about 99 percent of these Western AAA titles like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite or the upcoming ones like GTA V. Like I said earlier, I think that a lot of Ninty fans feel the same way as well and the third parties know this. Once again, nothing wrong with this but it puts a lot of pressure on Nintendo to deliver great first party titles. Personally, I know that they can do it, but they need to take their time on their games and not do rehashes like the NSMB series. Of course, that means that the amount of Nintendo games coming out will be more spread out over time, which means that the Wii U could take longer to sell in the long run. This is going to be a very interesting generation for them in the home console market.

...aaaaaaand with that long post concluded, it's time for bed :P

I'll have to agree with your stance on Nintendo fans' views on western titles, because in my case, that's definitely true.

I've enjoyed a number of big western titles in my day, and I don't deny that games like Tomb Raider & Bioshock Infinite are probably great, but for some reason, there's nothing about those games that truly excites me.

I get much more excited about big name Japanese titles, such as Ace Combat, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of, Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive, ect. (some even garner more excitement from me than Nintendo titles. Really the only Nintendo titles I get that excited about are Zelda, Metroid, Mario RPGs, and Smash Bros).

I want to say fair enough on your preferences, but you should really try to I dunno, expand your horizons or whatever. Try something new. I mean, this logic is why 3rd parties don't have a great reason to go to Nintendo in the first place. And maybe not Tomb Raider since from what I've seen it's mostly just Uncharted + other AAA gaming ideas, but Bioshock Infinite (and the original Bioshock) are kind of games that you kind of have to play. Both because of how for lack of a better word, "important" they are and just because they offer something that is ultimately (relatively) a unique gaming experience.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

54. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Waymores_Blues wrote:

Gamer83 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Do you honestly believe a Lego game and a port of a Niche game in the west have caused the fortunes of the Wii U to change so Dramatically.

Apparently Tomb Raider, DmC and Bioshock Infinite have not only failed to moved any consoles on either platform but all three would have sold more copies substantially on Wii U. (Even though the install base is so tiny.)

The userbase is small and on top of that Nintendo fans generally don't care about third party games unless it's exclusive and even then they do more talking about the game rather than buying it. I'd be surprised if Bayonetta 2 has great sales.

Agreed. By the time Bayonetta 2 comes out, some Nintendo game like Mario Kart or whatever will have come out, and a lot of the ones who were talking about getting Bayonetta will have forgotten about it thanks to the Nintendo game. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just the way it usually goes.

As for not caring about third party games, I think it also has a lot to do with them just not having any interest in those types of games in general. I know that's how I am. I couldn't care less about 99 percent of these Western AAA titles like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite or the upcoming ones like GTA V. Like I said earlier, I think that a lot of Ninty fans feel the same way as well and the third parties know this. Once again, nothing wrong with this but it puts a lot of pressure on Nintendo to deliver great first party titles. Personally, I know that they can do it, but they need to take their time on their games and not do rehashes like the NSMB series. Of course, that means that the amount of Nintendo games coming out will be more spread out over time, which means that the Wii U could take longer to sell in the long run. This is going to be a very interesting generation for them in the home console market.

...aaaaaaand with that long post concluded, it's time for bed :P

I'll have to agree with your stance on Nintendo fans' views on western titles, because in my case, that's definitely true.

I've enjoyed a number of big western titles in my day, and I don't deny that games like Tomb Raider & Bioshock Infinite are probably great, but for some reason, there's nothing about those games that truly excites me.

I get much more excited about big name Japanese titles, such as Ace Combat, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of, Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive, ect. (some even garner more excitement from me than Nintendo titles. Really the only Nintendo titles I get that excited about are Zelda, Metroid, Mario RPGs, and Smash Bros).

I want to say fair enough on your preferences, but you should really try to I dunno, expand your horizons or whatever. Try something new. I mean, this logic is why 3rd parties don't have a great reason to go to Nintendo in the first place. And maybe not Tomb Raider since from what I've seen it's mostly just Uncharted + other AAA gaming ideas, but Bioshock Infinite (and the original Bioshock) are kind of games that you kind of have to play. Both because of how for lack of a better word, "important" they are and just because they offer something that is ultimately (relatively) a unique gaming experience.

Yeah, the first Bioshock looks too gloomy for my tastes, but I'll check out Bioshock Infinite when it goes down in price, in the next couple years.

BTW, some of the western titles I've enjoyed are Portal: Still Alive (actually one of my favorite 360 games), Call of Duty: World at War (Wii), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360), InFamous (PS3), Ultimate Spider-Man (PS2), and Goldeneye 007 (Wii).

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

55. Posted:

IAmNotWill wrote:

...What the hell? Where'd you get this info from? Many Wii U only gamers will buy a 3rd party game if they can get it on their system.

There's no way to determine that. the Wii U hasn't been on store shelves long enough nor is there a user base to take notes of to determine whether or not this is factual. Judging from Nintendo's history, fans don't enjoy third party offerings.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mickey

56. Posted:

@MadAussieBloke Wow! With an extra wink in two posts that gives his posts a whopping 102.00% winking ratio in this topic!

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter: TheMercuryMouse

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cheetahman91

57. Posted:

Gamer83 wrote:

I have no problem if somebody prefers Nintendo's games, it's just annoying when people act like a great game like Tomb Raider isn't relevant simply because it's not the kind of game they like. I couldn't care less about the Elder Scrolls series, but I certainly respect it for what it brings to the industry. It's just not for me.

Agreed. It's also annoying vice versa when the Sony/MS/PC fanboys disregard the Nintendo games. I respect the big franchises I mentioned as well. My earlier post makes it sound like I completely disregard AAA Western franchises, but I really don't. Respect that the game companies that make the Western AAA games are going in new directions for their games, but I personally don't care for this new direction.

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

IAmNotWill

58. Posted:

@kkslider5552000
Many of the big name 3rd party games didn't make it to the Wii for obvious reasons, so the list is short. But there were some that sold pretty good, like Call of Duty, The LEGO games, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4, Monster Hunter 3, and House of the Dead. My point is that good games will sell on any platform because they're good games, not because "Nintendo fans don't like 3rd party stuff."

@Chrono_Cross
What "history" are you looking at here?

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

59. Posted:

IAmNotWill wrote:

@Chrono_Cross
What "history" are you looking at here?

Look at the sales of third party games on Wii, Gamecube and N64.

It's disappointing to say the least. Since the N64, there have been so many great third party exclusives and multiplatform releases that have had an enormous wealth of quality, yet most of them sold in an underwhelming fashion.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

IAmNotWill

60. Posted:

@Chrono_Cross
You are right, but I wouldn't say it's the fans not enjoying third party games. It's really Nintendo's own fault because the hardware was either not up to the current standards or they just didn't attract much third party stuff in the first place. I think if all the circumstances were correct, a good title party game could succeed if it's good and people are aware of it. Just look pre-N64 sales and the handhelds. There is plenty of good third party software that sold well on those systems.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture