Forums

Topic: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

Posts 21 to 36 of 36

WebHead

ShadowFox254 wrote:

Nice. An old game that people already played on their system. PS4 and Xbox One needs more ports.

This happens to just about every platform early in its life. Happened to 3DS, WIi U, Vita, 360, etc.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

kyuubikid213

DISCLAIMER: I do not own a PS3 or PS4. I also do not own a 360 or One. I am looking at this as a GAMER.

I just looked at the comparison video by IGN. While I will admit the PS4 version looks significantly better, I hate the hair on the PS4 version. The comparison video gives a great many shots where the hair just looks awful. The simple, clumped nature on the PS3 version works. I would have preferred they kept the hair like that and touched it up like they did the rest of the game. However, by making the strands of hair more independent, the strands that stand alone stick out. And not in an interesting or realistic kind of way. It just looks bad.

First of all, they look really blocky compared to the rest of Lara's character model. Second, they just look awkward and some stick out at funny angles. Third, what was wrong with the hair to begin with? If they had just touched it up like everything else, it'd still look great. But no, they didn't like the hair they had before because they changed it so dramatically with the PS4 port.

Say what you will on whether or not you think this is nitpicky, but if they would have left it alone, it'd still look FINE.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

rallydefault

I played the game on PC with the TressFX on, and it really does look cool in motion as you play the game. Maybe it's not for everyone, though.

rallydefault

sub12

I fell in love with this game right away, one of my favs from 2013, easily, I haven't played in since April or so of last year on the Xbox 360, and since I have some disposable income, I can't wait to pick it up for the PS4. That being said, I can understand wholesale why a lot of people would rather wait for the price to drop, etc.,

I just wish Crystal Dynamics would have focussed the DLC on the single player game vice the multiplayer (which should have been axed from the start and the resources used to help build upon the already stellar single player experience.)

sub12

SCRAPPER392

@kyuubikid213
I completely agree. They did a better job on her face/skin, but hair doesn't really look like that. I wouldn't buy this again. Maybe they think it will sell in the long run, because most of the people who cared, already bought it on Xbox 360/PS3/Steam, and it still wasn't enough.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

retired_account

I think I actually prefer the old graphics. The hair effects look weird and I don't like the changes to her face.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite games of all time so I definitely recommend picking it up one way or the other.

retired_account

Tasuki

I have to agree, I actually prefer her old look to her face. About the only thing I like what they did to her face was not make her look so pale. But I think she looked more natural and like an ordinary girl originally which is nice since she's not suppose to be the Lara we know.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JaxonH

Blast wrote:

That game is only benefitical to those who refuse to buy the game cheap on 360, PS3 and PC.
But... if a PS4/Xbox One user is in a dry spell for games then they will buy this game.
Square Enix better not charge 60 bucks!!!

They're charging 60 bucks.

I'm buying the game, but only due to the fact there is literally NOTHING ELSE to buy on the PS4 right now. There's Rayman Legends, but I own that on Wii U (where is belongs, where is was built ground up for). There's CoD Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4, and Injustice, but again, I own all those games on Wii U, where the online is free and there is Gamepad and Wiimote support. Tomb Raider is the first PS4 game that I haven't played, that isn't on Wii U, that looks fun. So I'll begrudgingly pay the $60 (although I pre ordered from Newegg where it's tax-free and free shipping at least)

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

shingi_70

@SCAR392

It was enough the game so pretty damn well, its just the game had been in development hell that made the budget go up

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Blast

JaxonH wrote:

Blast wrote:

That game is only benefitical to those who refuse to buy the game cheap on 360, PS3 and PC.
But... if a PS4/Xbox One user is in a dry spell for games then they will buy this game.
Square Enix better not charge 60 bucks!!!

They're charging 60 bucks.

I'm buying the game, but only due to the fact there is literally NOTHING ELSE to buy on the PS4 right now. There's Rayman Legends, but I own that on Wii U (where is belongs, where is was built ground up for). There's CoD Ghosts, Assassin's Creed 4, and Injustice, but again, I own all those games on Wii U, where the online is free and there is Gamepad and Wiimote support. Tomb Raider is the first PS4 game that I haven't played, that isn't on Wii U, that looks fun. So I'll begrudgingly pay the $60 (although I pre ordered from Newegg where it's tax-free and free shipping at least)

@JaxonH I don't have anything against the PS4. I want one in the future. BUT... I've been hearing so many PS4 owners say that they don't have any interesting games to play and the next big game coming is Infamous: Second Son. Do you feel the same way?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
Square Enix's games still didn't sell that well. That's why they're porting TR, and why FF13 keeps getting sequels. Their still putting work in, but they don't have to build much of anything from scratch. New monsters, new areas, new story, new weapos, same game engine, characters, and most of the same game mechanics.

It's the CoD formula. I just look at them as expansions, honestly.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

shingi_70

SCAR392 wrote:

@shingi_70
Square Enix's games still didn't sell that well. That's why they're porting TR, and why FF13 keeps getting sequels. Their still putting work in, but they don't have to build much of anything from scratch. New monsters, new areas, new story, new weapos, same game engine, characters, and most of the same game mechanics.

It's the CoD formula. I just look at them as expansions, honestly.

Huh Tomb Raider sold pretty well and hit profitability toward November of last year. IG not for being remade a few times the game would have been profitable from the start like the rest of Edios Games. I'm expecting more games that came last year/gen to get snazzy next gen ports.

I will agree in the subject of final fantasy. I think square already said that XV is going to have spin off games. I don't mind unless they hurt the development of main line games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kkslider5552000

Yeah but one of the main reasons Tomb Raider is on next gen consoles is likely because that version was being worked on in order to make the game profitable before the original version of it was profitable yet. Rayman Legends being the other port coming out soon certainly helps my theory (btw: why does Ancel keep putting up with Ubisoft releasing his games at the worst possible times? This has happened THREE TIMES now, it's ridiculous.)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

@Blast

Well, in my honest opinion, I've always had more fun on Nintendo consoles than Sony. Now, that's not to say I don't enjoy Playstation because I do. I wouldn't have bought the PS4 and Vita if I didn't. But, if I had to choose, it wouldn't be hard for me. I play my Wii U more than my PS4, Vita and 3DS combined, and that's really saying something.

My PS4 has been sitting idly for the past 2 months. I've played it twice. Resogun for an hour and Killzone for about 4 hours. Then I lost interest. So in my opinion, no, you're not really missing much right now. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a console with less to offer at the moment. Having said that, there is a reason there isn't much to play- the same reason that not much was available on Wii U in it's first half year. The games will come, and I'm sure by this time next year it'll be a different story.

As for Infamous Second Son, I'll say this: I'm not really expecting much. My brother is a Playstation fan to his very core, and he told me on good authority that the Infamous games are not what the hardcore Sony fans crack it up to be. He said they're mediocre at best, and he's not interested whatsoever in Second Son. I watched at least an hour of gameplay vids for the first two, and while it looks ok, I'm inclined to think my brother was right. Open world can be fun, but it can also get boring really fast. The games don't look bad, per se, but they just don't seem to be really fun. Now, beauty is all in the eye of the beholder of course, and what's dull to me could very much be a triumph for the next guy.

After careful consideration, I did actually decide to pre order the game, as well as Metal Gear Solid 5. After Tomb Raider, which is the first PS4 game I'm actually somewhat interested in, there's only MGS5 in March and Infamous in April. That's it. So I'm really buying them because, well, I paid $400 for the console and it'd be nice to have a few games to play on it. Hopefully, my brother is wrong and Infamous turns out to be amazing fun. We have had differing opinions in the past. But for the most part, he's usually spot on. So it's fingers crossed on that one. We'll see.

As for MGS5, it does look great. No denying that. But it's only going to be a small portion of a regular sized game, seeing as it's a prequel to Phantom Pain and is selling for half price. In fact, at first, they weren't even planning a physical release on PS4. Thankfully they've remedied that. Now, not everyone is a fan of Metal Gear Solid. I've tried Twin Snakes on GC, MGS4 on PS3, and MGS3 on 3DS. And to put it bluntly, I suck at those games. As in, I have trouble even getting past the first hour or so. The stealth gameplay just doesn't click with me, and if it weren't for my recent success with Splinter Cell Blacklist on Wii U (albeit on Novice Mode), I wouldn't be giving MGS5 the time of day. If I can't seem to get the hang of it, I'm writing that franchise off for good.

So yeah, there's not much at the moment. Tomb Raider on Tuesday, MGS5 in March, and Infamous in April. It is what it is. But keep in mind consoles aren't bought for just right now, they're investments for the next 6-8 years. And I have no doubt in my mind that PS4 will deliver the goods in due time, just like the Wii U.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Blast

@JaxonH Interesting... thanks for sharing your input. I've just been hearing so many PS4 users tell me that they barely have anything new to play and they are frustrated. I wanna get a PS4 in the future so thanks for sharing your thoughts

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Ralizah

Blast wrote:

I've just been hearing so many PS4 users tell me that they barely have anything new to play and they are frustrated.

I don't understand this. Are these people new to video games? New video game system launches almost always suck in terms of software line-up. The first few months, at the very least, are usually very slow periods for the systems. They're new, and thus, don't have established software libraries yet. This is the price of being an early adopter: you buy the system at full price when it has almost nothing good to play on it.

This is why I never buy a system until a game comes out that I am interested in. I waited to buy a 3DS until September 2011, when the price drop kicked in, but, more importantly, when Star Fox 64 3D was released.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.