Forums

Topic: The Unofficial Steam Sales Thread

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 3,310

ToastyYogurt

edhe wrote:

If someone could walk me through how exactly you are supposed to host an online Terraria game - particularly in regards to finding the right IP address.

I doubt it would take too much internet power.

Google "How to set up a Terraria Server". It's also best if you try to set one up without using Hamachi. If you have a router and access to it's configuration settings, you should be able to make a port forward. Guides are around that can help you.(information such as the IP that your router is located on and router login information might be on the bottom of your router, unless you changed them from the defaults)

P.S. Some guides might tell you that you need one instance of Terraria open for hosting and another instance open to play on the server, but that's no longer true thanks to an update, and you can host and play at the same time. There's a program called "TerrariaServer" inside the game's program folder that can host the server separately from the actual game should you want to be able to leave the server and come back without killing the server.

Edited on by ToastyYogurt

I'm pretty okay.
Formerly Destroyer360, Destroyer64, DestroyerInsertYourFavoriteRandomNumbersHere.
"Purple is a color." - Waluigi
Wait, quotes should be meaningful? Ugh, fine.
"I'm useless, but not for long. The future is coming on." - Gorillaz

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4642-6622 | Nintendo Network ID: ToastyYogurtTime

Ravage

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Battlefield 3 will require Origin. Now officially stated...

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Blink

Swiket wrote:

Excellent, loved the turret part. C:

3DS FC: 3780-9141-3051 (Scott)
Steam user name: Blink the Conjurer
I believe in the power. The power of GRAMMAR! Huzzah!
Binary solo! 1000101 1000101

ToastyYogurt

Ravage wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Battlefield 3 will require Origin. Now officially stated...

I can see it now: PC version of Battlefield 3 fails at market due to the requirement of a Steam alternative.

Seriously, though, that is pretty lame for those Steam-using Battlefield fans out there (I'm not much of a fan of war games :/), but Origin is free, so I don't see why it would be a huge problem to just have Origins installed for one game. Besides, I'm pretty sure this is for a good reason; the only good reason I can come up with is Battlefield 3 uses Origin's network for online play, like how Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2 required Steam because it used Steam's network for online play.

Yeah, I know I sound like I support Orgins, but I don't (I'm a Steam fan ) I just think it's not something to get mad about if one needs to install some free software in order to play the game. I get that it would be irritating to not be connected to all your Steam buddies through Origin, though. Unless there's a game I want that requires Origin, or Origin decides to copy Steam's business strategy and bring out wicked sales that are even better than Steam's, I won't use Origin.

I'm pretty okay.
Formerly Destroyer360, Destroyer64, DestroyerInsertYourFavoriteRandomNumbersHere.
"Purple is a color." - Waluigi
Wait, quotes should be meaningful? Ugh, fine.
"I'm useless, but not for long. The future is coming on." - Gorillaz

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4642-6622 | Nintendo Network ID: ToastyYogurtTime

edhe

The problem with Origin will likely be EA's inflated prices. They'll have to do something about that if they hope to compete with steam, and I don't mean 'take every EA game of Steam'.

Destroyer360 wrote:

Google "How to set up a Terraria Server". It's also best if you try to set one up without using Hamachi. If you have a router and access to it's configuration settings, you should be able to make a port forward. Guides are around that can help you.(information such as the IP that your router is located on and router login information might be on the bottom of your router, unless you changed them from the defaults)

P.S. Some guides might tell you that you need one instance of Terraria open for hosting and another instance open to play on the server, but that's no longer true thanks to an update, and you can host and play at the same time. There's a program called "TerrariaServer" inside the game's program folder that can host the server separately from the actual game should you want to be able to leave the server and come back without killing the server.

If had a good look through those guides already, I've (to the best of my knowledge) been able to port forward my computer for Terraria, but when it comes to finding my IP address, I can't work it out.

Some guides tell you to use the cmd.exe console, but when I input a command, I keep getting errors. I've followed guides on how to fix it so I can see my IP address, but they don't work either.

I've got access to the IP address that allows my brother to play Terraria with me on the local network, but all I need to know is the name of the IP address (and how to find it) to be able to play over the Internet.

Of course, this isn't a problem if I join any of your games, but I'd still like to know for future reference.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

V8_Ninja

Swiket wrote:

Apparently a new Counter-Strike game will be announced later today.

Apparently...

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

_mikero_

@edhe I think there's a site like whatismyipaddress.com you can use.

Edited on by _mikero_

_mikero_

Aviator

Anyone who has TF2, get you behind onto a TF2Ware server.

So much fun.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Xkhaoz

Sweet, new CS game. Also, I just now noticed that Portal 2: The Final Hours isn't in the Valve Complete Pack......wtf?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

kevohki

irken004 wrote:

V8_Ninja wrote:

Swiket wrote:

Apparently a new Counter-Strike game will be announced later today.

Apparently...

Untitled
But I just got CS: Source!

Don't worry, the hardcore CS fans will try out the new game, hate it, and move back to CS: Source immediately, lol.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

irken004

Also, Bastion is coming out very soon. I'd like to get it but $15 sounds like a lot. Supposedly a demo will be available right around launch time.

V8_Ninja

For anyone wondering a bit more about CS:GO, Rock-Paper-Shotgun has a detailed article that explains some things that Valve is trying to do with the game.

V8_Ninja

So, for those who have 1-2-3-Kick-It!, you may have noticed that about 12 days ago there was an update to the game. The updated added the "?" City, which is Dejobaan's first real step into procedurally generated content powered by music that doesn't play like a small edit of another level. I shot an email off to Dejobaan today giving my thoughts and they actually replied! Here's the text my email and then the reply:

The Original Email wrote:

While the city is a step in the right direction for Kick-It!, I feel that there are some major issues with it and the game itself;

#1. At least give an option for W-A-S-D-key controls for the movement of the player. After a few months of playing the game, the mouse-to-move controls still feel weird and clumsy. Now, I understand why you initially made the controls this way: it allows the player to move in a direction and choose how fast they go in said direction, but with a game like Kick-It! stop-then-move-quickly strategies are a key to getting high scores, and with the mouse you can never quite stop going in a direction besides downward.

#2. Limiting the player to a 1x3 space in a first-person game where they have no control of how fast they go seems a bit...well, cruel. It would be nice if the least amount of space was a 2x2 area.

#3. It would make the city more fair if blocks started popping in farther down the level rather than about 2 seconds before the player passes them. It would be greatly appreciated if the blocks were just in the level before you started playing, but I don't know the code, so maybe I'm asking for the impossible with the last one.

Either way, thanks for making reading this email and thanks for making awesome games.

The Reply wrote:

Yo!

> #1. At least give an option for W-A-S-D-key

Yup. Planned for a future release. I had problems with this; can't calibrate right. I'll get it eventually.

> #2. Limiting the player to a 1x3 space

I axed that. Everyone hated it! HATE!

> #3. It would make the city more fair if blocks started popping in farther down the level

I was thinking of adding difficulty modes, so that this happens (but that won't be in for a while). When I upload the new build in a few weeks, though, let me know if the few difficulty tweaks I've made makes things more enjoyable. Or if it's worse!

Have a great day,
Ichiro

So there's some "Exclusive" news for Kick-It! players to enjoy.

Xkhaoz

Well, i have decided to save up a bunch of money for components for my new gaming PC. I'm planning on using this guide. It seems like it will fulfill my certain gaming needs. I may change a few things down the road, but I'll probably stick to the guide for the most part.

Edited on by Xkhaoz

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

Ravage

Kid_Khaozarus wrote:

Well, i have decided to save up a bunch of money for components for my new gaming PC. I'm planning on using this guide. It seems like it will fulfill my certain gaming needs. I may change a few things down the road, but I'll probably stick to the guide for the most part.

They are recommending the H61 with the 2500k? That doesn't make any sense. You are buying an unlocked processor for a locked chipset. You will want a p67 or z68 chipset unless you go for a locked processor. The K indicates if it is unlocked by the way. Also, the 6670 is not a good graphics card. I also disagree with the 4 cores comment. If you can afford it, the i5 processors can get a lot of benefit from new games. The i3-... whoa! They're recommending for the cheaper processor the old i3's, which will not work in the motherboard they have selected (with no alternative it seems). Find a guide from someone that knows a little more than this guy

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

irken004

Lots of stuff on sale:
Prejudice series, Prototype, Front Mission Evolved
And Bastion has a demo. Very nice game

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.