Forums

Topic: The Unofficial Steam Sales Thread

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 3,310

kevohki

Fallout 3 GotY Edition is very tempting.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

Platypus

Nothing my computer can play today except worms. I would get it, but I wanted it on the PS3 so I can play multiplayer.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

komicturtle

It does have multiplayer... Unless you just want a PS3 Worms game.

komicturtle

irken004

I broke down and got the map packs for Defense Grid with some of my tickets. What I didn't know is that it was for ALL the map DLC

Platypus

irken004 wrote:

I broke down and got the map packs for Defense Grid with some of my tickets. What I didn't know is that it was for ALL the map DLC

I think I'll get this then since I plan on getting the game once I get a better computer.

edhe

I don't know whether to buy Universe Sandbox.

It's on my wishlist, it's only £3.99, and smashing Earth into Neptune does look fun for a short while, but I don't know whether it would last.

For those on the fence.

I'm sure there's more to it than this video shows, but I'm worried I'll only be able to appreciate it if I'm heavily into astronomy.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

reborn

Does anyone recommend Mount&Blade? I wasn't able to buy it when it was a daily deal and I wish I have done it. I hope they put it on the Encore deals :/

Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden (Vita), Persona (PSP), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS).
Recently finished: Pokémon X (3DS), Persona 3 Portable (PSP), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Virtue's Last Reward (3DS).
FC: 0748-1618-4432

edhe

I recommend Mount and Blade, although the problem is, which one do you buy...

• Mount and Blade vanilla is fairly basic.
  • Mount and Blade Warband fixes issues in the first one and adds new mechanics to the game.
  • Mount and Blade Fire and Sword adds guns and fixes things further. You can download a free mod for this, and save yourself the cash. The developers encourage modding since you can earn an achievment for loading a mod.

I personally own Warband with the Floris mod. It lacks the guns on the Fire and Sword standalone, and it has some outrageously stupid town and city names - if that sort of thing bothers you (Reyvadin, Jelkalla, Tshibtin......), but it's the definitive experience.

The game itself is pretty unforgiving, and looking at the Youtube videos, you can be riding high on a fortune of thousands of gold coins and a personal army of a hundred, but wander into the wrong battle or make a slight misjudgment and you lose all of your troops, and if you're unlucky, a sizeable chunk of your fortune and a few decent armaments.

It mixes strategy and RPG elements as you probably know, but unlike most strategy games like Total War (where large armies are involved), the battles are more hands on. You time each swing of the warhammer yourself, and timing is crucial.
If for example, you opt to fight by foot (or your horse is made lame), and you are charged by cavalry, a well timed jab will dismount the rider

And in first person/over the shoulder third person, this is very satisfying.

Otherwise, you can opt to fight on horseback, whizzing past huscarls swiping at them with your sword or slowly advancing within your ranks as a footsoldier, aiming your strikes at their faces to take them down that little bit faster.

And like I said, it's much more satisfying to perform each blow yourself than to box-select some troops and direct them towards the opposing group of soldiers.

But it isn't perfect - otherwise it would be much more widely celebrated. It suffers various bugs and poor design choices, the aforementioned learning curve (it can be overcome - partly through skill building/armament improvements, partly through tactics), the graphics are pretty poor (not to mention there only being about 5 different face types for each gender) and (probably due to limitations) the battles aren't quite as epic in scale as your everyday strategy games, but for the price, it's a pretty good deal.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Ravage

Mount and Blade: Warband is awesome. The UI sucks big though.
I am on the fence over Universe Sandbox, but I think I'm just gonna stick with Celestia and Space Engine.

Edited on by Ravage

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Ravage

Portal 2 will be mine!

edhe

The X Superbox collection looks like my sort of games, but I can't find any information on it. The price is quite tempting though.

I'll get Portal 2 at least.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Platypus

I think I'll buy Terraria anyone else have it?
This sale reminds me I still have my PS3 Portal 2 code.

Edited on by Platypus

Ravage

I hear that the X games are incredibly complicated and confusing. Maybe read up a bit more on the forums.

reborn

@edhe Thank you so much!! I've found quite interesting your review. I think I'll go for the same choice than you. M&B + Warband + Floris Mod!
@ soccer686 I've got Terraria and I'd say it's an amazing game. People argue it's a copy of Minecraft, but don't believe them (at all) It's a game with its own personality and it's quite charming, especially if you like games of the 16th-bit era. If you like Minecraft and games such as Metroid (which deliver action and adventure); you'll definitely enjoy Terraria. It has a multiplayer mode too which can be PvP or cooperative, but I haven't tried it yet, and, at least in the previous patch; it wasn't as perfect as it's supposed to be.

One question, which day is supposed to be over the sale? When will be delivered the "Encore sales"? The tenth day? Thanks in advance (I can't wait to get M&B!! )

Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden (Vita), Persona (PSP), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS).
Recently finished: Pokémon X (3DS), Persona 3 Portable (PSP), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Virtue's Last Reward (3DS).
FC: 0748-1618-4432

_mikero_

Gonna have to get Terraria I think!

_mikero_

Platypus

Alright I'll get Terriaria.
To let everyone know I changed my community name to Nintendodude686 and friended a bunch of people.

V8_Ninja

It's nice to see everyone has decided to throw their $2.50 to Terraria. I might actually play online now.

@soccer686 I was wondering who Nintendodude686 was...

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Ravage

reborn wrote:

@edhe Thank you so much!! I've found quite interesting your review. I think I'll go for the same choice than you. M&B + Warband + Floris Mod!
@ soccer686 I've got Terraria and I'd say it's an amazing game. People argue it's a copy of Minecraft, but don't believe them (at all) It's a game with its own personality and it's quite charming, especially if you like games of the 16th-bit era. If you like Minecraft and games such as Metroid (which deliver action and adventure); you'll definitely enjoy Terraria. It has a multiplayer mode too which can be PvP or cooperative, but I haven't tried it yet, and, at least in the previous patch; it wasn't as perfect as it's supposed to be.

One question, which day is supposed to be over the sale? When will be delivered the "Encore sales"? The tenth day? Thanks in advance (I can't wait to get M&B!! )

Just to clarify, you do not need the original M&B, just Warband.

edhe

V8_Ninja wrote:

It's nice to see everyone has decided to throw their $2.50 to Terraria. I might actually play online now.

Have you ever played anyone over the web?

I've played quite a bit with my brother over a local network, and it was simple enough, but I've yet to play online.

I bought Portal 2 by the way. Now begins the slow download.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.