Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,981 to 10,000 of 16,084

link3710

@NEStalgia No, I though they were pretty clear in their branding at E3 that Fallout 76 isn't a main series game? At least, that's how I interpreted it.

link3710

CanisWolfred

link3710 wrote:

@NEStalgia No, I though they were pretty clear in their branding at E3 that Fallout 76 isn't a main series game? At least, that's how I interpreted it.

It's a spin-off insofar as they are probably still gonna make a new Singleplayer game down the line, maybe. It's "story" still sounded canon, and obviously it's different enough that they can either milk it for half a decade and still make other Fallout games, or make sequels to it without directly alienating fans. It is, however, very different and I know I won't be bothering with any more of Bethesda's online outings. Sure, it seems better than the boring, generic MMO with Elder Scrolls lore sprinkled in here and there that is ESO, but I can't think of anything less conducive to a building experience than PvP. I am not gonna waste my time in a game with no structured singleplayer mode just so I can get trolled incessantly. I already dealt with that in Demon's Souls until I just stopped logging in, and I can't even do that in Fallout 76. Nuh-huh. You want me to build and/or contribute to a town? Then don't let my fellow team mates nuke whatever point on the map they want with impunity, because there's a good enough chance that all of my efforts will go up in smoke. No thank you...wake me when Fallout 5 comes out, okay?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@link3710 they kept stressing single player adventure and that it's still a normal fo. Todds presentation seemed to stress it was normal fo despite the connected aspects and that it was all an experimental new way of doing fo. But the more i see of it it seems like a really weird spin-off, like sea of theves: wasteland edition, not not an actual fo game (and honestly I'm not even sure it looks fun)

That said it makes me more hopeful that it'sa spin-off and that there last great wrpg maker hasn't gone full mmo.

NEStalgia

link3710

@NEStalgia Huh, guess I forgot that part. My impression coming off of E3 was that it was a game I was completely uninterested in due to the online aspects so... that might have tainted my memories.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

It sounded like how Let's Go is a main series Pokemon game. That it's a main series Fallout game with changes but if it does well enough you may see more of this changed style.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@CanisWolfred yeah, pretty much that. I've read they havea decent punishment system in place to discourage griefing. It may even work. Being able to coop in a fallout game sounds fun. But the implementation with strangers and pvp..... I'm not convinced it's with the trouble. I guess it'll be popular with the fortnite Zeitgeist crowd? I can't imagine much of the core fallout crowd will be interested.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano true, though lgp introduced changes to the already boring, grindy, obsolete wild catching system by meshing concepts with another Pokemon spin-off and people went ape. 76 takes the story driven immersive rpg the brand is synonymous for and turned it into a pvp mmo with no npcs and the crowd roars.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

@NEStalgia Yeah, not really sure who exactly Fallout 76 is supposed to be for, it just seems confusing and nothing about it seems appealing in the long term. I mean, yeah, Co-op Fallout or Skyrim sounds cool, but there's a distinct difference between taking something that already works, and then building upon it to allow for co-op, which some people will find to be an improvement on its own...instead, this kind of throws out what I always thought were Fallout's strengths: It's sense of immersion in its desolated world, which were supported interesting characters, factions, and locals to explore. Sure, looting, shooting, and the slowmo glory kills were cool, too, but plenty of games already did that better, it was only how interesting enough to keep me exploring. By making players characters, they've reduced a key factor in maintaining my interest. I already gave up on Fallout 4 (albeit prematurely) because the writing could be really bad at times - particularly when it came to the Commonwealth Minutemen, who I just wanted next to nothing to do with after an hour or so of hackneyed writing and threadbare reasons of even being accepted by them. Turns out, just like New Vegas, the interesting factions were a ways in, I just needed to ignore the freakin' Minutemen and move the heck out of there.

Now there's no interesting faction to fall back...just a bunch of unpredictable strangers protected by anonymity - the type of monsters storybooks villains usually portray. I think I'll listen to Mother Goose and just sit this one out. Hopefully for Valve, they can put out Fallout 5 before someone talented spots the conveniently sized power vacuum and sets about Wastelanding it up with a Fallout Clone that's slightly less buggy, at least to the point where you don't need mods just to finish it, thus rendering their entire franchise obsolete.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@CanisWolfred Personally, I'm in many ways neither surprised nor disappointed, in that I was a Fallout fan from the first one. IMO Bethesda bought the license and proceeded to kick it, step on it, urinate on it, then throw it in a dumpster then set the dumpster on fire. Nothing they have done with the series really rings true to the tone, narrative, or structure of the originals, nor the dark satire the entire thing was meant to be, instead turning it into a quasi ultra serious apocalyptic game. Elder Scrolls in a radioactive wasteland. So as an original FO fan, they've already kicked me in the head with 3 (And I say that a as huge TES fan!)

But it's another leap to just take the whole RPG, remove the RPG, and turn it into some weird MMO PvP. I suppose it could still have it's redeeming elements and I'm passing judgement too early. It was one of those few E3 moments where the more Todd talked about it, the worse it sounded, talking about all this PvP that's not an MMO but not a solo adventure but is still at its heart a solo adventure from the man that stands tallest in the RPG world. And then the more previews come out, the weirder and more bland it still looks. It's Destiny/Division in the Fallout world I guess? Weird trend in games. But I never though it would strike Bethesda.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Well I'll just use my Xbox for a few weeks to make sure I don't catch anything.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

KidRyan

CanisWolfred wrote:

Actually, the cheesiness and old school influence was purposeful, and part of what made me interested in the first place. It was originally supposed to be a reboot of Capcom's Gun.Smoke, but turned into its own thing. Now I really want that reboot, but I guess I'll settle for the next best thing.

Also, I still lurk on AnimeNation every once in a while, but it's a lot harder to discuss anime than it is with video games. Video games are just more complicated and have more technical aspects that can ground a discussion. I've been meaning to bring this up in the anime/manga thread, but I very rary have anything to add to any specific discussion. I don't know enough about the animation process to talk about the behind-the-scenes stuff, or properly critique the technical aspects. Anime is a passive visual medium, so the most important aspects that can be easily discussed are highly subjective, and now that there's no modern equivelant to FullMetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop that everyone has to see so we can all get a baseline on what equates to good anime...I have no context for anyone's taste, unless I know them incredibly well, or they explain themselves in incredible detail that you rarely encounter on any forum. This also means anime recommendations are usually worthless - in fact, my personal biggest problem with anime vs. video games, is that every anime I watch is a gamble, and I am rarely rewarded for breaking out of my comfort zone. Most games, however, usually figure out whether out whether or not I'm going to like it just by going off of some gameplay footage, combined with an explanation of the controls and gameplay progression. Mix it with some review skimming to make sure there are no unexpected pitfalls, and I usually have all the info I need to know about a purchase in the time it takes to watch one episode of anime...so my viewing are ultimately very restictive, and that also limits what I can discuss.

Now, I could try to use a certain show or scene as a jumping point for a broader discussion, however, again, I have to make sure to give as much detail as possible, because there's a pretty good chance that no one else reading has seen whatever my examples are. I gotta get better at that, I know most of my attempts in the past have confused people at best, and at worst, caused me to waste several hours on a massive wall of text that no one else wants to read...

Mind you, I could focus on the latest shows that everyone else is already watching, and it also makes the conversation more inclusive!...but for me, personally, I don't discuss shows I'm still watching in any detail, since any outside input influences how I percieve the experience, and a show I was enjoying could be ruined before I even see the final episode, and I don't just mean spoilers. Darling in the Franxx, for example, was a disappointing show that could've at least joked about later, but all the memes, waifu discussions, and Eva comparisons and arguments just compounded its issues and wittled down whatever will I had left to finish - meaning now I'll always remember Darling in the FranXX as a waste of my time that I couldn't even finish, instead of what it should've been remembered as. By the time I can forgive it, everyone will have moved on, and there'll be no jokes left to be made.

So that only leaves the end any given season, but by then, there's so many discussions that it's impossible for me to keep up.

...So yeah, I really would like to post on AnimeNation again, but the anime community at large has changed too much for me really engage with anymore. Even on AN I was usually posting in the video game section just because it felt "safer".

I've never played Gun/Smoke before so have no opinions.

What's your reasoning for vanishing from PushSquare then?

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

Switch Friend Code: SW-1940-0332-6335 | 3DS Friend Code: 4141-7621-4210 | Twitter:

Dezzy

Red Dead 2 main campaign is 60 hours long.

Yeesh, that's about 3 times as long as the previous game. Getting into serious RPG territory.

NEStalgia

@CanisWolfred I don't get it. Everyone wants all these "social" features on their consoles, and all this connectivity on everything, and then you have to go out of your way to disable all of it because it only serves as a nuisance with spam etc. You know what didn't have that problem? PS2.

@Dezzy Wow, for a Rockstar games that's beyond impressive. That's a serious step up from the 8 hours of GTAV

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

I've been playing the Jak HD trilogy again for the first time since Vita. It's actually better than I remembered. Yeah the game design is still terrible, and the camera is horrendous, but the world is fun still.

I gave P5 a spin for the first time. WHOA that is an even more impressive game than I was expecting. I'm so looking forward to that!

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

GTA5 was 30 hours long according to howlongtobeat.com

I still haven't actually played it. It's sitting on my shelf.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy I suddenly distrust HLTB.

GTA5 was maybe 30 hours long if you're trying to do as much weird side stuff as possible, and longer if you're doing all the pointless time waster sandbox stuff like the flying stuff and all, but the actual campaign was like 5.5 missions. They forgot to put the game in the box.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

KidBoruto wrote:

I've never played Gun/Smoke before so have no opinions.

What's your reasoning for vanishing from PushSquare then?

Oh, PushSquare? Because I have strong disagreements with their cheif editor (Sammy), every article is presented like a clickbait opinion blog post, and I really don't enjoy interacting with the vast majority of their community. I mean, I have issues with NLife as well, but at least its community is mostly fine. Comment sections can be toxic, but that's just the nature of article comments in general. There's a good reason why the only other video game websites I visit are either ones where I can disable the comment sections via NoScript, or they don't even have article comments, since they know it's more trouble than they're worth.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KidRyan

@CanisWolfred No worries I can see why you'd think that. Btw can you add me on PSN?

I was hoping to get you on Discord if you're not already there.

PSN is ToddlerNaruto

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

Switch Friend Code: SW-1940-0332-6335 | 3DS Friend Code: 4141-7621-4210 | Twitter:

Cobalt

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be on 2 discs ! o_O

Untitled

Cobalt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic