Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,921 to 9,940 of 16,083

CanisWolfred

Grumblevolcano wrote:

There's an upcoming Kingdom Hearts bundle called "Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far" releasing on October 30th which contains 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 for $40. It would be nice to see this bundle on XB1 (and Switch if KH3 was to come to Switch).

Sigh Every time I get a Kingdom Hearts compilation at a decent price, another one comes out with more content and a better base pricepoint. Guess I'll get it, since I never bought 2.8....but I also never opened 1.5 + 2.5....

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@PikPi yeah, I'm uncomfortable with it, but it's not the most aggregious microtrans gets. If they shoved the store in your face the way destiny2, gta, and the worst: for Honor etc do id worry. But as it is you have to go menu trawling to even know there is a store which tells me they don't expect people to be buying. Polygon complained about the grind on late game and the store, but it all sounded like typical rpg fare..... And critics hate rpgs that require side quests for xp.... They bee line for the main story. Maybe I'll change my mind when i get there but so far, im not too unhappy with the implementation. "Pay us if you're lazy, impatient, and can't even be bothered to play easy mode right and then well just make ita movie" isn't the end of the world . Hopefully il it's nota legit balance issue designed to promote the store.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@CanisWolfred what compilation did you get with less?

I feel awesome buying the complete edition now..... It was digital only though. . And 8 wish it was x1.... I don't trust Sonylong term digital back compatibility.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@Tsurii Simple, most of the games in between KH2 and KH1.5 were for not for Sony systems. Between that and Chain of Memories being GBA you end up with a situation like how Sony fans reacted to the Crash trilogy coming to XB1/Switch or Bayonetta 2/3 being exclusive to a Nintendo console.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@CanisWolfred oh, Capcom.... Nevermind bump collection is good at least

@Tsurii @Grumblevolcano it's not really about what system, i mean i main Nintendo, and it was forever. But the series had now spanned, what, 6 different consoles? Ps2, psp, gba, ds, 3ds, ps4/multi. That kind of spread and the fact that many of those games were very different games, kind of leaves 2 and maybe ddd as the last actual kh games. And ddd was just weird. I loved it at the time, but going back in the collection now, it's pretty off. It wants to be sunset Overdrive or Spiderman but just isn't...

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Crash went multiplatform in 2001 (only 5 years after the first game) yet Sony fans still acted this year as if the entire Crash franchise had been exclusive to PS for decades just because the first few games were PS1 exclusive.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CanisWolfred

NEStalgia wrote:

@CanisWolfred oh, Capcom.... Nevermind bump collection is good at least

...The what collection?

Also, RE: Assassin's Creed Odyssey's microtransactions: I've been following that for a while. It's a Ubisoft game. It's what they do. I honestly wish people would stop making excuses for it, because they basically run F2P mobile economies in $60 games that they keep pushing out year after year, with less and less care for how they're designed. Sure, Activision-Blizzard is worse about it, but that just means Ubisoft has precedence to get worse, and people are letting them get worse with every game. It's not even a slippery slope argument, it's they trend they've been setting for a long, long time now. The amount of stuff they want you to buy for a game that'll be obsolete in a year is insulting, the amount of stuff held behind expensive special editions is downright criminal, the DLC that you can only get by purchasing a 120 pack of Totino's Pizza Rolls at Wal-Mart is utterly embarassing, the way the storefront doesn't make it clear what's available in-game or not is dubious to say the least, and the fact that they are willing to call simple XP Boosters "time savers" just adds credibility to the claims certain news outlets have made that the game is too grindy, and it was a better game when played with a booster - and that, I feel, just crosses the line. If they're willing to sacrifice the pace of their game to pressure you into paying money so your levels progress at a reasonable pace - something you can determine by looking at other RPGs, as well as other entries in the series - then it's a problem with the game that can't be ignored or separated from the rest of the stock. If nothing else, it begs the question as to why they need all of this money and attention when there's a potentially huge sign that it's not going into making better games.

I already threw my hands up a while ago and decided I wasn't gonna buy anymore Ubisoft games, so I already know how I'll be voting with my wallet. But it still annoys me to see that some people seem willing to turn a blind eye to something that most would unanimously agree has ruined mobile gaming - having games designed around pressuring gamers into spending money to fix a fundamental problem with their game (usually pacing, playability, difficulty, etc.) - getting repeated in our AAA, $60 console games. It's not okay, and there are too many options that don't fall into this trap that are so well-acclaimed that it really shouldn't be exuseable in my opinion. At the very least, I certainly don't tolerate it anymore.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano well, the first few games are the only ones that really mattered. . But yeahi don't always get the ps fan base. Nintendo has a problematic fan base at times too, but they usually aren't as....Aggressive? And Nintendo is so separate from the industry it's usually more deserved.

Still i feela little bad for the ps hardcore. I'm a light core fan. I've had every ps but the first one (got the 2 when i got three 3 though, so i was late to the party, but played some 1 games on pc with an emulator.... i have stack of like 20 psx games and never had a psx ) but this year ps feels kind of gutted. Crash no longer being brand synonymous, and then ff, probably more synonymous with the ps of old than anything now available everywhere..... It does feel like the ps identity is gone. The new games are amazing of course but they feel more transient and "of their time but will pass" than iconic brands. Not that crash was still exclusive (or mattered) but for the "Sony is life" crowd it's got to feel like Zelda is now on CDi

@CanisWolfred beat em up collection. It's some obscure arcade games you had to have been there to "get" but they dida good job on the bundle.

I agree with a lot of what you said about ubis model and the feeling ofa is if focus on aspects of games asa result. Some of them are nonsensical messes in the ui as a result. I'll have to write more ata keyboard.

However I'll also say the press can sometimes take the appearance and ignore the reality. I've bought most ubi games. I never buy currency, and I've never felt the need to. The games are balanced if not easy without it. For Honor excluded, but that'sa failure anyway. Maybe Odyssey finally breaks the camel's back but I'm going to use my own prior ubi experience asa guide for now. Maybe it's an f2p economy but *so far" it's in the fortnite and elite dangerous model of being optional things that the games doesn't need. Hopefully Odyssey is the same.

I'll agree about the dlc/gold edition though. They, and squeenix had now set $100 as the base price to get the full game. Then they end up discounting it to $60 in 3 months. Funny, that. The dlc thing is gross, no argument. At least fc5 and aco include a second full retail game in that price though?

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

NEStalgia wrote:

Maybe it's an f2p economy but *so far" it's in the fortnite and elite dangerous model of being optional things that the games doesn't need. Hopefully Odyssey is the same.

Except Fortnite is a fully free-2-play game, where its model only seems fair because they need to make money somehow, and the compromises to the game that support it could've been more egregious just by taking a look at most other F2P games out there.

And Elite: Dangerous is not a model to strive for - they took a $50 sci-fi game, they basically charge for updates every year or so, locking them behind "expansions" that were basically season passes, and then still charging for ship parts in their store like a F2P game. It has been divisive, and it sure as hell turned me off it, especially now that No Man's Sky NEXT basically does the things I wanted it to do without charging extra for it. While it's arguable that Frontier Development needed to do this, that they aren't a big enough company to support the massive updates they've been making for free, and churning out sequels would take longer and possibly have diminishing returns, I still found that it resulted in a more frustrating experience as a player. Destiny 2 also has a similar model, and there have been very thought-out arguments as to why it only hurt the overall playerbase rather than helped.

I'm just saying: Ubisoft's games being close to Fortnite or Elite was already a warning sign that I don't think should be ignored. Storefronts are always a compromise, and you should always be asking: what are you gaining in return? Could this game really exist in this format without microtransactions? And what am I losing with its presence?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Zuljaras

I just found something interesting. The PS4 Middle Earth Shadow of War Definitive edition is different for USA and the other regions. The USA version comes with only 1 disc and all dlcs are on voucher code. The PAL and the Asia versions come on 2 DISCS! And everything is on the discs.

So I found one game that uses 2 discs for the PS4

This difference is amazing. USA is unfortunate for this game. I wonder is there are more games that do this?

Edited on by Zuljaras

Octane

@Zuljaras And that's Warner Bros.! Maybe there's still hope after all

Octane

Dezzy

Saw my first Red Dead 2 advert today. The marketing machine is revving its engine!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Cobalt

@Dezzy

Pfff, I dunno if people realize how crazy this period is ?

Just in some weeks, Dragon Quest XI, Zone of the Enders 2, Shadows of the Tomb Raider, Spiderman, Ken Fist of the North Star, Soulcalibur 6, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Valkyria 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Moonlighter, Hitman 2, Fallout 76, Darksiders III, Biomutant, Metro Exodus etc...

New big games every week, it's insane !
Impossible to be bored with a PS4... o_O

Cobalt

FragRed

@Octane @Zuljaras I am emailing Warner Bros as we speak that they got it all the wrong way round. It's the US whom are supposed to receive everything on disc and us Europeans that get it all in digital format.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Dezzy

@Cobalt

Yep, some of the big games released this Q4 are just gonna fail massively. The competition is too heavy.

My guess is that Biomutant, Battlefield V and Darksiders 3 will all fail. I hope Darksiders doesnt but I think it just doesn't have that devoted an audience because it's quite a derivative series.

Dragon Quest XI, Spiderman, Assassin's Creed and Red Dead 2 will all do very well.

CanisWolfred

@Dezzy I'm sure Biomutant will do fine, since it's been delayed to Summer 2019.

I'm guessing you meant Mutant Year Zero, which I know I'm greatly looking forward to, but I'll admit that it's coming out during a crowded period. There are currently 12 games coming out between now and March 31st that I want, and my tastes don't include stuff like Battlefield V and Red Dead Redemption that apparently everyone else wants, to the point where nothing else can survive if their released within a month's period of them, as foretold by the internet.

And that's without mentioning any remakes or re-releases, which I never buy on release day anymore (and haven't for years. If I'm gonna buy an old game, it better be cheap, otherwise its sucking away time and funds from potential new games I could get instead). After this past summer, it really feels like they crammed way too much into an increasingly narrow time period. Gotta get those Xmas dollars, I guess....

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

@CanisWolfred

Ok so Biomutant wont fail for that reason. It may still fail for being highly derivative and generic-looking though.

Edited on by Dezzy

CanisWolfred

@Dezzy I strongly disagree, but I also don't care if it fails or not financially. After all, the most successful games are usually the most boring, appealing solely to the lowest common denominator. I just want a good game that does things that appeals to me.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy There's not much of an option either, early 2019 is already packed so developers have a choice between potential holiday sales with fierce competition, fierce competition without the potential holiday sales or delaying to around summer 2019. All 3 options are pretty bad.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic