Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,881 to 9,900 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Zuljaras Until now that's been true. This year we're seeing a spike on consoles where games are starting to exceed the limits of a standard BD. BLOPS 3 for now is the only confirmed one. Destiny 2 also does not fit with the full Forsaken package. But as Octane said, both are online-only games so it's kind of irrelevant for preservation, only for bandwidth/storage issues: the game only exists on the servers regardless. RDR2, I know the X1X size, but not the PS4 Pro size yet. It's pre-loaded on X1X, but PS4 doesn't do the preload thing for it. If it's similar to X1X it won't fit. But it might be smaller without the ultra high res textures.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia What's the size on Xbox? IIRC the PS4 bundle said it required 105GB or something like that.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane 111GB (so far) on X1X. Sometimes these preorders add more content in a giant patch on release day so it could get larger. So yeah sounds only a few GB smaller on PS4.

That's just gross that these companies have moved into these sizes. Even in PC gaming that's gross. They seemingly have no understanding of the state of the internet.

NEStalgia

redd214

When do you guys find time to actually play games in between constantly griping about them lol

Anyways, don't know if it was posted but November plus games leaked. Bulletstorm and Yakuza Kiwami. Always wanted to try that series so as win from me!

redd214

diwdiws

Bulletstorm and Yakuza:Kiwami for PS Plus for November! Been wanting to play Kiwami

diwdiws

Octane

@Zuljaras Blu-rays are already dual-layered. Single-layered discs are 25GB. 100GB Blu-ray XL discs exist, but I don't know if the current systems are compatible, and how expensive they are to print (a pack of 5 discs is about €50 at retail, though to be fair, they are re-writable, read-only discs are generally cheaper).

Octane

Zuljaras

@Octane I read and can say that PS4 Pro and Xbox One X does NOT support BDXL game discs

However I would love to see big games that come on more than one disc just for the installation. Just like Shadow of Mordor for the Xbox 360 or Fallout 3 or Any other games that come with DLC on the disc or it is simply too big.

Otherwise there is no point of the physical releases other than store shelf for marketing purposes.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Octane

@Zuljaras Yeah, two discs may be a bit cumbersome, but if there's one for installation only and a second disc for installation and play, it's better than nothing. And that wouldn't be a lot more expensive than having just one disc. It's definitely an option, but I'm not sure a company like Rockstar cares about game preservation.

Octane

Mew

own one. not a fan.

the official callie of nintendo life

Nintendo Network ID: SmasherMew

Octane

@Zuljaras The ''base game'' requires 50GB of free space on PS4, so it's a little under 50. That's all on disc; however, all the patches and DLC aren't on disc obviously. I believe the PC version was a little bigger than 50GB. I don't own the game by the way.

Octane

NEStalgia

@redd214 If we didn't have anything to complain about we'd just play games and never have time for NL!

Cool list of games for November! (Which makes up for the most dismal October I have ever imagined ) I already have both games, unfortunately, but both are fantastic games. I'm amazed they're giving away Kiwami. Bullet Storm is an old PS3/360 remastered game, but Kiwami's pretty new (ok it's a PSX title but it's a new total remake ) FWIW, 1/Kiwami isn't the strongest of the series, but it's pretty darned good.

@Zuljaris Why spend another $.75 on the disc when all copies combined would add up to $2m or more saved and the imbecile gamers will just shut up and take it? Though I do admit, with what's likely to be the most popular game of the year by individual sales, that means a lot of people that don't have the bandwidth to download 50GB are going to be downloading 50+GB. A lot of ISPs are going t be strained beyond capacity and ground to a halt in a few weeks.... They're not designed for a mass dump of 50GB+ There could be some backlash this time due to how mainstream the game will be and how a huge portion of that base is woefully unprepared for that kind of DL. 2K maybe didn't think that through so well, getting complacently used to their "core gamer" base. And Comcast is going to make a fortune as they charge people $10 per gig over 1TB up to $200.......... If someone's been streaming a lot of 4k video this month and buying other games, there's a good chance that physical copy will cost $50+ in download fees. $110+ for digital buyers. Lots of fun. "The future is digital(as long as publishers don't have to pay for it.)"

But unfortunately it seems like even though only about 30% of the US population has appropriate internet for such things, the gaming industry feels it can make enough profits off just that 30%.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia It's going to be even worse for XB1 owners because sometime before RDR2 launch there's that big system update which was detailed in last month's Inside Xbox. Even with good internet, XB1 system updates take a while. Switch OS while extremely boring is a lot better than PS4 and XB1 OS.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Octane @Zuljaras Yeah that's a good point I forgot about: PS4 doesn't have a UHD BD player. X1S & X1X do, but OG XBone does not, so it's not really a useful print. And it's much more expensive.

Presumably the PS5/X2 will have games printed on UHDBD, but it's getting kind of absurd. If games are 100+GB standard now, by 2-3 years will they be 200GB? 500GB? And how do they expect to keep pushing digital if their file sizes keep growing 800% faster than internet speeds. Worse, the file sizes are pushing beyond reasonable even for transferring over local storage..... These are the kinds of storage problems people working with AutoCAD and with virtualized environments used to deal with and had crazy expensive storage solutions to deal with. Now they want it for video game consoles. I suppose thats why they want it all in the "cloud" and streamed. Screw input processing in under 30ms, we want 200MB/inch woodgrain panels on the saloon wall!

It's so funny, because these companies were well on their way to pushing digital as standard and eliminating physical as their dream. And their egregious file growth may be the thing that cements them into boosting physical as the primary medium again. Heck, maybe even on PC. These sizes are rapidly becoming unworkable. Even with UHDBD they may have to go to 2 discs next gen. They skipped out this gen because "a few gig patch is normal" but 50+GB isn't going to fly forever for physical games. Physical "matters" as a download booster but nothing more. They prefer not doing 2 discs at any cost though. It's doubling the cost of the media, it requires a more expensive case, and it adds 20% or so to the weight of each box. 20%+ more weight for an entire cargo container is a LOT of money added to transport the games, let alone per-case shipped to retailers.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano The X1 OS updates are certainly "huge" but no moreso than a Windows 10 PC. 1-2GB usually. Which is far too huge for what it does by a factor of 1000, but it's not a contest with the game sizes...and...well...it is a Win10 PC (so all my win10 PCs will have to deal with the same problem ). They take forever to install properly but the download isn't the worst of it. Then again, PS4 does OS updates like microtransactions. Every single time I turn it on "A system update is required"...... Now I have it automatically do it in Rest mode even if it loses my game progress since I'm so sick of running the updates and waiting for them. 200MB here and there and again, add up to probably the same

@Zuljaras Hardware is hardware, so mechanically it could do whatever, but the OS likely doesn't allow it (and it shouldn't as long as the OG model is supported since you can't sell discs that only work on certain models of a platform...that would be a disaster! )

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Zuljaras For a while I think PS4 was giving it a run for it's money though

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic