Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,841 to 9,860 of 16,083

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

RDR2. You know, I'm looking forward to it. I'm interested to see what it is, but I still feel like it's 65% hype, 35% game. Looks good, but nothing still says "ZOMG IT'S A MASTERPIECE" from anything I've seen. Just looks like a pretty good game.

Obviously gameplay and story stuff will only become clear when we play it but I think from the videos alone, it looks like it has one of the most detailed and interesting 3D worlds we've ever seen.
Only a few games like Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn look on the same kind of level imo.
Of course that assumed you're someone who cares about world building. Which is one of my main focuses in games. May not be everyone's though.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy TBH I think I would be more excited for RDR2 if it wasn't on hype overdrive. The hype for a game often ends up overshadowing its reality with fans trying to make it into something it's not because that's what they want it to be.

A detailed and interesting 3D world is all good and fine - but that alone can't make it a revolutionary or goty, or even particularly memorable game. It can be fun to explore, but "interesting 3d worlds to explore" is a dime a dozen, and why not just make virtual tourism software if that's the focus? Unless the gameplay is highly addictive, the story riveting, etc, it'll still be forgotten.

I'm not saying RDR2 is that, I'm just saying basing "goty" on "really interesting looking empty 3d landscape on non-VR system to explore" is hype, not substance, that'll be immediately overshadowed and forgotten the next moment tech makes a more interesting 3d empty landscape. I'm still expecting "high quality, fun game" maybe even "definitely one of the better experiences in a few years." But I still haven't seen anything that screams "this changes everything, wow!" out of it. (So far.) Seems no more genre defining than AC: Odyssey. I welcome being pleasantly surprised, they already have my money so I've not nothing to lose But my expectations are firmly grounded on this one.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah @redd214 Ok, I'll concede the DS layout in one key area. There are certain older games that feel "right" with the DS. Older Kingdom Hearts, older FF (though I'm moving those to Switch anyway), all feel right with the DS layout to the point I'd actually prefer it there. So ok, you'll win a point there Not a single first person games feels right with that layout. Not a single "over the shoulder, near the shoulder" game feels right either. But those old distant-camera 3rd person games do feel made for that design

@Ralizah btw, how do you grip the handles....fingers wrapped all the way around the handle almost but not quite touching the palm or fingers on the rear of the handles? That could be one key difference too. I wrap my fingers all the way around, and give it a death grip. Chunkier grips (including Razer Raiju which still has parallel sticks) prevent that feeling of needing a death grip on it.

I'm actually starting to like the Hori Onyx. It feels so cheap, and the triggers are iffy but it's actually really comfortable. Shame about the battery life and cheap feeling. I've heard those new Raiju wireless models (not for North America!! have input lag issues for now. Could get patched out. )

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 NEVARRRR!

It just bugs me, because it's always bugged me....I need to figure out what it is I dislike about the DS4 and what makes that ergonomic difference. It's not OCD at all....

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I wrap my fingers around the grips of the controller. Not tightly, though, unless it's a stressful game or something. It rests easily in the hands thanks to Sony's excellent controller design.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

The Dualshock is ok, the worst part is both analog sticks being at the bottom of the controller instead of diagonal like Switch/GC/Xbox or both being at the top like Wii U. Nowhere near as bad as stuff like the N64 controller though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Hmm, "rests" in the hands implies not wrapping around it. I tend to grip and choke down on it. All I can think of is maybe palm width and thumb extension have something to do with whether the sizing works or not. Raiju has thick grips that are longer, but the sticks are spaced noticeably farther apart and sit higher. Still standard PS layout but with real trigger type triggers and a wider stance:

Untitled

Still bummed about the wireless ones.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano For most fans of it the sticks being at the bottom is the best part of it, they hate the asymmetrical sticks. I used to think I mostly favored asymmetry. For 1st person games I do. But overall I've discovered (thanks to the above Raiju) that's not really the key factor that makes me dislike the DS as the Raiju is perfectly comfortable to me, and I can adapt to the symmetrical/asymmetrical sticks just fine (though I prefer asymmetrical in most games still)....it's the DS specifically that feels awkward, both in stick reaching, and in the triggers/bumpers.

All that said, the fact that Sony has succumbed to offering a variety of licensed controllers with asymmetrical sticks, yet neither Nintendo nor MS have felt the need to offer symmetrical sticks makes me still think there's a wider audience preferring asymmetry.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

The only complaint I can level against the DS4 is the battery life. Otherwise it's pretty much what I wanted after the stupidly cheap feeling/tiny DS3 and its horrid sticks.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@MisterPi Much as I dislike DS4 I've given it from day 1 that it's waaaay better than DS3. Those things were horrendous.

NEStalgia

link3710

I think the DS4 is probably one of my favorite controllers to be honest. I use it exclusively for PC gaming, between the high build quality, built in gyro, and me using it as a USB controller I don't have any issues. Not sure if I'll switch to the Switch pro controller now that that's an option though, the gyro was the main reason I used DS4 over an Xbox controller.

link3710

CanisWolfred

redd214 wrote:

@NEStalgia wow it's just personal preference man, let it go lol

This. If it's so bad, just keep an eye out for third party controllers. I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't found any controller unusably bad since the Gamecube (there were some games where the button layout and tiny C-stick became a problem), so I have nothing to complain about besides battery life.

diwdiws wrote:

@CanisWolfred replayed it around 4 yrs ago. It was good when it was first released but honestly it didnt holdup well.

It looks like it has some control issues, but I'm hoping it'll at least be fun - something I couldn't say for its immediate and often-praised successor.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@link3710 switch pro is very comfy, even more so than stock x1 imo. The triggers are worse, but the rest is better (elite is better yet though, as are Razer controllers.). Wired sucks though

@CanisWolfred yeah, i would if, you know, Sony could get off their high horse and licence them in North America..... Which they keep refusing. Ive imported the above razer which is great but wired and thedpad isn't a dpad. I imported hori onyx which has worse battery than stock, feels incredibly cheap, and the triggers are iffy but it's really comfirtable. Input lag is an issue. The new raijus are wireless, but also not for sale in the us and may have input lag issues. That leaves scuf vantage. At $215 shipped, for a brand infamous for quality issues and a generous 90 day warranty i think I'll pass on Sonys only licensed us wireless controller and keep complaining that Sony refuses to let me buy controllers that done suck.... They actively block them from North America! Heck that's half of why i bought an x1! It's have been happy with ps alone otherwise.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

KidRyan

CanisWolfred wrote:

Speaking of Red Dead, I finally looked into Red Dead Revolver...that actually looks like the kind of game I was hoping RDR would be. I'll have to remember to grab that one someday.

I recently bought the PS4 version of this game...alot of people say it's too cheesy and old school, but why does that have to be a bad thing?

Long time no chat btw Canis, I miss you on AnimeNation/PushSquare.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

Switch Friend Code: SW-1940-0332-6335 | 3DS Friend Code: 4141-7621-4210 | Twitter:

Gamer83

https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/01/rocket-league-cross-platform...

Once again proving developers, as well as PlayStation haters, are full of sh*t. 'It only takes a flip of a switch!' 'MS and Nintendo are for the gamer, this is pro-consumer.' Every time I see a story like this, just says the me the people who spouted that nonsense can piss off. Cross-play was never about being a good thing for gamers, it was people wanting to see Sony lose a big selling point for its consoles (having to buy a specific platform to game with friends, a selling point that has been around since game consoles came into existence). The fanboys have especially been exposed since I still don't see any articles or cries on twitter calling for an end to the XBL paywall for free-to-play games.

Gamer83

TuVictus

? Crossplay is only a good thing, regardless of the developers lying or not. I don't see how it can be bad, at least.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Gamer83 Not necessarily. Between Psyonix, Bethesda and others, we don't know the details but I'm getting the feeling Sony has put some barriers up making life difficult in the process. Obviously there's only speculation but I get the sense that Sony is dragging their feet and throwing obstacles in the way that make what should be a simple process something other than simple, either because they want to stall it, or because they really just never gave it much thought in their accounts systems and it's kind of convoluted how they did it. Sony's sheepish start with just Fortnite gave off a "yeah, yeah, yeah, we're doing it, we'll get to it, whatever...." kind of vibe. Part of the issue may well be they have to open up their credentialing APIs to outside vendors to do this, and given their history, I imagine their security is based more on obscurity than actual security so they may be reluctant or extra cautious about how they do that.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

@Gamer83 Yeah, no, we don't have nearly enough information to come to any kind of conclusion, and like NEStagia pointed out, there ould be paperwork involved. They need Sony to be involved to pull it off, but that could just as easily mean that Sony is dragging their feet. However, we just don't know yet what those challenges are...you know, I'm starting to get annoyed as to just how cage-y some companies can be about technical hurdles.

KidBoruto wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Speaking of Red Dead, I finally looked into Red Dead Revolver...that actually looks like the kind of game I was hoping RDR would be. I'll have to remember to grab that one someday.

I recently bought the PS4 version of this game...alot of people say it's too cheesy and old school, but why does that have to be a bad thing?

Long time no chat btw Canis, I miss you on AnimeNation/PushSquare.

Actually, the cheesiness and old school influence was purposeful, and part of what made me interested in the first place. It was originally supposed to be a reboot of Capcom's Gun.Smoke, but turned into its own thing. Now I really want that reboot, but I guess I'll settle for the next best thing.

Also, I still lurk on AnimeNation every once in a while, but it's a lot harder to discuss anime than it is with video games. Video games are just more complicated and have more technical aspects that can ground a discussion. I've been meaning to bring this up in the anime/manga thread, but I very rary have anything to add to any specific discussion. I don't know enough about the animation process to talk about the behind-the-scenes stuff, or properly critique the technical aspects. Anime is a passive visual medium, so the most important aspects that can be easily discussed are highly subjective, and now that there's no modern equivelant to FullMetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop that everyone has to see so we can all get a baseline on what equates to good anime...I have no context for anyone's taste, unless I know them incredibly well, or they explain themselves in incredible detail that you rarely encounter on any forum. This also means anime recommendations are usually worthless - in fact, my personal biggest problem with anime vs. video games, is that every anime I watch is a gamble, and I am rarely rewarded for breaking out of my comfort zone. Most games, however, usually figure out whether out whether or not I'm going to like it just by going off of some gameplay footage, combined with an explanation of the controls and gameplay progression. Mix it with some review skimming to make sure there are no unexpected pitfalls, and I usually have all the info I need to know about a purchase in the time it takes to watch one episode of anime...so my viewing are ultimately very restictive, and that also limits what I can discuss.

Now, I could try to use a certain show or scene as a jumping point for a broader discussion, however, again, I have to make sure to give as much detail as possible, because there's a pretty good chance that no one else reading has seen whatever my examples are. I gotta get better at that, I know most of my attempts in the past have confused people at best, and at worst, caused me to waste several hours on a massive wall of text that no one else wants to read...

Mind you, I could focus on the latest shows that everyone else is already watching, and it also makes the conversation more inclusive!...but for me, personally, I don't discuss shows I'm still watching in any detail, since any outside input influences how I percieve the experience, and a show I was enjoying could be ruined before I even see the final episode, and I don't just mean spoilers. Darling in the Franxx, for example, was a disappointing show that could've at least joked about later, but all the memes, waifu discussions, and Eva comparisons and arguments just compounded its issues and wittled down whatever will I had left to finish - meaning now I'll always remember Darling in the FranXX as a waste of my time that I couldn't even finish, instead of what it should've been remembered as. By the time I can forgive it, everyone will have moved on, and there'll be no jokes left to be made.

So that only leaves the end any given season, but by then, there's so many discussions that it's impossible for me to keep up.

...So yeah, I really would like to post on AnimeNation again, but the anime community at large has changed too much for me really engage with anymore. Even on AN I was usually posting in the video game section just because it felt "safer".

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

link3710

@Gamer83 I mean, if Nintendo managed to pull it of with their utter lack of understanding of online, I'd think Sony could manage it far faster.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic