Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,521 to 9,540 of 16,083

EvilLucario

Boy that blows. Rip. That basically makes physical titles lose a lot of space convenience.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Octane

@EvilLucario Eh. I don't see why. I doesn't really make a difference to me to be honest. If it's the installing you're worried out. I usually pop in the game, go to the toilet, grab a drink and a snack, and once I'm back the game is ready to play.

For funsies, I just checked. 41 games, and they're about 715 GB combined. Should be enough to fit the rest of the games I want to buy for PS4. Assuming they don't announce God of War 2 or whatever. I mean, PS5 has to be early or late 2020, and they've got enough games to fill another year and a half. Then again, games like TLOU and Death Stranding aren't going to be small games. We shall see if they all fit!

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah "'m willing to bet it's a lot less likely than flooding, house fires"

Location specific problems aside like living in the Mississippi Delta or a volcanic wasteland, the odds are a lot worse of your account being compromised. Most people will experience compromised accounts or lockouts due outside influence, "risk" analysis (like the time Amazon locked me out for 5 hours because they believed someone unauthorized accessed my account.....and the timing was suspiciously when I was buying digital games quickly so I'm guessing I was the "intruder" the locked out of my account....or the time when Microsoft alerted me my MS account was possibly being accessed by unauthorized users (before I had digital games on the account...)...or that time when Sony...lol...yeah... )

Most people will experience account compromise/lockout on one or more accounts in their life. Most people aren't going to be flooded/burned into homelessness. Some will, but hopefully not on the scale of data breaches (outside California wildfire zones....)

@redd214 Ahh, heh, I haven't followed it physically, only digitally (though to be fair, the freebie is digital, so it still compares to the $35 sales only....)

@EvilLucario Certainly faster than digital ([strong]Fast internet can make digital faster.....but that's apparently an XBox One/PC exclusive feature ) but then the patches are getting more and more massive. A few years ago 7GB was a monstrous patch. These days 25+GB is "normal".

But yeah, all games are PC style digital installs on PS/SB....the disc is just a physical license dongle and a partial or complete installation repository.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Impressive! I wonder what the actual numbers are. I'm certain it's been a huge success for them, considering the budget was quite small.

I've calculated it based on comparing their last sales announcement (which was around 10 million in March 2016) and comparing that to the distribution given in this previous graph.

My calculation is that by the end of 2017, it had sold about 17 million.

So slightly below Skyrim but above any Final Fantasy or Bioware game by quite a way.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@NEStalgia ''These days 25+GB is "normal".''

That's why you don't buy EA/Ubisoft games

Jokes aside, I don't agree with the ''physical license'' part though. You still own the game, and you can always play it, regardless of whether the online is supported or not (online-only games and completely broken games aside). The HDD is going to fail at some point – a matter of when, not if – in the coming years. If it's not within the next five years, it will happen when the online store isn't supported anymore. Your digital games are gone if that happens. With physical you can ''just'' install a new one and play the games from there. Save files are lost for sure, but I don't really care about those anyway.

If you do have a big collection of physical games, make sure to upgrade to an SSD sometime in the future (when they're bigger in size, and a lot cheaper). That kinda mediates the problem I guess.

Octane

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I don't keep payment information on PSN and have 2-step verification enabled. Even if my account is breached, what exactly are they going to do with it?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Octane most games today need a patch to really work, first party aside, and many don't include the whole game (la noire was the same in ps4 and switch.) So physical sadly doesn't save is anymore, though is so better sometimes.

As for the hdd, yeah, for ps4 and switch that's true. For x1 and pc you can back up your games (patches and all) so in that regard you can have an array of off site backups with the patch. Though you still need the licensing server at least once per new console.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah seize your account (or get it banned) and thus your paid games are stolen.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia ''most games'' I guess I'm just fortunate that I strongly gravitate towards the games that also happen to be playable without patches I guess

It's true that most of the PS4 games I own are first party Sony games, but I don't recall any issues with games like NieR or Monster Hunter World. I think the only game, in my possession, that truly got a lot better with patches is TW3, but I also own the GOTY edition that comes with over a year's worth of patches and DLC. Hurray for complete editions!

But it does feel like I live in a different world sometimes

Octane

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I don't see how that happens unless they hijack the SMS messages sent to my phone as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah well, i don't trust 2fa with sms either. It's plain text, but also another way to get locked out of something about your phone number changes suddenly. It's such a risky system. I avoid it unless i am forced into it as something breaking your ability to get the messages is even more likely than getting compromised which is likely enough.

Outside chances always seem like problems for someone else until it happens

@Octane nier is broken, it's just that there's no patch to fix it. . That engine is seriously awful in all platforms

Mhw... But isn't that primarily an online game? (I might break and buy it for x1... It's on sale. Digitally.. But undecided... I enjoyed the demo but know I'd rarely play it not being handheld.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Nier: Automata? No, that's a completely single player game.

Octane

iKhan

@Dezzy

It kind of helps. My big issue is the camera turning around so fast without my head moving. That makes me dizzy.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

EvilLucario

@iKhan Would VR potentially help with that? Just curious because I don't get motion sickness from first-person games so I can only ask and not experience for myself.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

I think the only game, in my possession, that truly got a lot better with patches is TW3,

Don't forget FFXV. A patch completely fixed the awful penultimate chapter.

Octane

@iKhan What about turning the sensitivity down?

@Dezzy Yeah, but I don't own FFXV. I'm still waiting for them to finish the game

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Yeah, but I don't own FFXV. I'm still waiting for them to finish the game

All you need to know is the original Chapter 13 got rid of all your weapons and made you dodge bad guys for about 1.5 hours whilst adding almost nothing interesting to the story.
They later patched it so that you don't lose your weapons, it only takes about 30 minutes AND it includes key story scenes as well.
It really can't be understated how much this improved the game.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

Some people are claiming that they've downgraded the graphics in Spiderman. The devs claim it's just the position of the sun. Hmmmm I don't think I care enough either way to let it affect my opinions of the game although it does look like they might've downgraded a bit.

CanisWolfred

@Dezzy Uh, it still looks good, so it really doesn't matter. It's open world, so you'd expect that they'd have to adjust things over its time in development in order to further optimize it and shore up any rough edges. If it turns out things are noticeably scaled back across the board, I'd be worried - bullshots have been common enough that I stopped paying attention to technical feats until the games are actually out, in most cases, and Sony is no stranger to getting people hyped about graphical quality that clearly isn't possible for the final game.

...Nothing in that video shows anything major. Just minor details that you really need to squint to notice. Water effects in particular are strenuous, so yeah, reducing puddles when you can? Or really toning down anything shiny that might honestly just blind players? Go ahead, even better if you get a bit of a performance boost. I think we'll live so long as the game is fun to play.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic