Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 9,341 to 9,360 of 11,947

darkfenrir

@Knuckles-Fajita All until Ending E. Because if you stop at Ending A... that's seriously a lot like stopping at the first Arc of a book.

It's really not the end of the story.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Nah. The way people describe it, the game is structured around multiple short playthroughs that come together to create a whole experience. Like Virtue's Last Reward. Saying you have to "beat the game twice before it gets good" is disingenuous, because an actual playthrough comprises multiple, shorter playthroughs.

As someone else said, you could think of each playthrough as a chapter and your problem would disappear entirely.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah But that's not how a playthrough is defined!

As @darkfenrir just said a playthrough is until Ending E, so how can you have smaller playthroughs within a playthrough?

Whatever, I'm done with this conversation. Y'all gonna get arsey because I'm confused about the structure of a game because the English language is absolute ass.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@Knuckles-Fajita I still don't get the whole "it gets good after your second playthrough" thing I often hear....I can't help but thing it's a bad representation of a Bravely Default type situation (which....was bad...but also because of how grindy endless boss battles became. It would have been less awful with trash mobs instead of just bosses like a Mega Man game gone horribly wrong) I think people don't discuss it right like diwdiws said....I don't know how it actually works but my interpretation before experiencing it is that, "second play through" does not mean "new game" but "continue" to a new part of the story after the credits roll. Like Phantasy Star games that set it up like a TV series that the credits roll after the boss and you have to sit through the themesong again I don't know myself yet, but I think maybe that's what people mean. It makes no sense that new things happen on a second "new game" play-through....so clearly it's not actually a new game even if it's re-using maps. I get the sense there's a Groundhog Day kind of thing going on in the game and eventually the character has a "wait....this isn't right....I've been here before..." kind of moment. That's only my theory though....I've played one full hour of the game.

@darkfenrir Haha, well I don't feel so bad turning on auto fire auto dodge easy mode now I tried 3 times to get through that first hour...they game says "play the game to find out how to save" so I kept waiting for a Moogle or something to tell me to save. Instead after each hour I got that stinking tower boss and got butchered. I finally turned on easy only at the end of it though.....and turned it off once I got to save

NEStalgia

darkfenrir

@NEStalgia Yeah, it's fine to turn on those Autos, they are for helping after all

Also if you want to do side quests, I would say wait until you get the fast travel system (I think this is fine to spoil right?), that way you won't trudge the same map a lot of times.

darkfenrir

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita It's not really that confusing.

A full playthrough is achieved when you see a certain ending. But, to get to that ending, you have to play through multiple small campaigns that have their own endings.

Those smaller campaigns and endings coalesce to form one larger experience, one fuller playthrough.

Ralizah

diwdiws

Just to add, i think people started to call it a playthrough simply because there is a credits at the “end” and that the game doesn’t really indicate that you should replay it. It’s basically a mind f*ck.

Edited on by diwdiws

diwdiws

darkfenrir

@diwdiws Nah, after Route A, there's a message from the SE PR person to replay it actually.

darkfenrir

Octane

I mean, it's not that confusing. Gravity Rush 2 had a similar thing with credits in the middle of the game. But you just continue and there's more of it. You can stop if you want, just like you can stop playing any game at any point.

Octane

NEStalgia

@darkfenrir That's a good tip. Yeah that's not a spoiler. An RPG without a fast travel system would suck pretty awfully At least it's not Xenoblade levels of confusing that most of the side quests you can't actually DO when you get them, you have to travel back later after the story makes it sound like you can't I sometimes feel like playing Xenoblade games requries you to understand the game design and how to predict what the designers expect you to know by having played other similar games.

@Ralizah @Octane Seems to be a thing Japanese devs do when they want it to feel like you're playing an anime. with the episodic campaign. "Stay tuned for the next episode, thank's for playing! roll credits) Do all your skills/stats/protagonist remain between "playthroughs" or do you reset your skills/stats/protagonist each time and work from zero?

NEStalgia

diwdiws

@darkfenrir huh, watched my wife finished 2 playthroughs and never saw that. I learned something new.

diwdiws

darkfenrir

@NEStalgia Xenoblade is a little weird like that, but to be honest... when I see that I can't defeat a side quest? I decide to put it off and do it at latter date usually.

And to answer your other questions, everything stays, including items and levels. The one's gone are the things that are locked behind story progression.

@diwdiws Yeah... it only appears at the end of Route A (And I think you can search it with "Nier Automata Square Enix message")

darkfenrir

Octane

@NEStalgia I think they're maybe going for a ''shock'' effect. You think you're done, but then there's more left to do. And not some tedious post-credit content, but actual story content. Whether it works or not is hard to say. I knew there were multiple chapters in Nier before I bought the game, so the internet spoiled me before I could discover it myself.

Or it's some Japanese thing I don't get, that wouldn't surprise me either

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane Well this is a game made by this guy:

Untitled

I would think eccentric ideas of creative artfulness would be the minimum expectation. It might be the shock thing, but if they need to put a message to tell you specifically that it's not done even though it looks done, I think it missed the mark It would be shock if it automatically flowed into the continuance of the game (like a post-credit bumper in film), maybe. Or the old trick some games uses that the credits roll, and part-way through reverse, or the screen corrupts and the enemy interferes, or some such, indicating it's not credits.

So in this case I feel more like they're going for "tv series" effect maybe. Or it's just Taro being Taro.

NEStalgia

Octane

Playing Killzone Shadow Fall, it's funny seeing how the game influenced Horizon. Not in terms of gameplay, but aesthetics.

I really enjoyed the third chapter. Very Metroid Prime-y.

Octane

redd214

@Octane I thought the same thing when I Revisited KZ recently. Definitely inspired the look of the robot dinos/animals. Game had some dips but I think it was pretty harshly received at launch. I found it to be an above average shooter, nothing special but nothing terrible either.

redd214

Octane

@redd214 I'm not a big fan of the endless waves of enemies, like some chapters have. But when the game doesn't throw enemies at you at all times, it's pretty good.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

It's probably just the only style their graphics people were good at!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Hah, probably! That reminds me, Sucker Punch had a bunch of people that worked on the particle effects in the Infamous games. So when they started Ghost of Tsushima, their question was; ''well, what's out job now that it's set in a realistic universe?'' And they went nuts with the leaves and fire it seems!

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic