Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 9,261 to 9,280 of 9,964

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

@Knuckles-Fajita

It was only really RE1 that was campy horror. RE2 was always quite serious.

Anyway I'm completely hyped for this remake. It looks like just a better version of the Revelations games, which I thought were both excellent games (underrated for some reason I can't explain)

Just because it was trying to be serious horror doesn't mean it was effective. RE1 wasn't trying to be that campy, as far I know, either...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

roy130390

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

@MisterPi I agree 100%. Only people who have played Kojima games and enjoy them can possibly be loving the "mystery and beauty" behind these trailers. The rest of us are just bored and want to know what the game actually is. Hand prints, pregnant Norman Reedus, and footage of Norman Reedus walking around is not going to excite anyone unfamiliar with Kojima. It's gotten so old.

In my case I'm a huge fan of the MGS franchise but I'm really tired of not knowing. Other than getting angry or frustrated, I'll simply won't buy the game until I actually watch gameplay that doesn't involve walking. That being said, the guy has done outstanding projects outside of MGS like Botkai and Zone of The Enders so he definitely has my faith, but his game isn't a priority to me until he actually shows the gameplay behind it. He does have the habit of taking his time with games though, and personally, he does deliver.

CanisWolfred wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

THIS is the sort of game RE4 should have been.

I don't agree, but only as someone who is very much not a fan of Horror. Just like with the latest rendition of REmake and RE7, I think it's safe for me to say that Resident Evil no longer has a place in my library going forward. Good for Horror fans that get the REmake X2 they undoubtedly wanted, but I'm honestly just glad that the cheesy Cop Action-Adventure with Zombies in it for Some ReasonTM that I liked so much is still readily available to me.

I don't know if I'm from some alternate dimension, but when people said that the RE games weren't "scary" anymore, I just asked myself if they played the same games that I did. I mean, sure, the first RE games where scary when I was 7-8 years old, but they were always cheesy and full of ridiculous stuff and dialogue and an even more absurd story. When the gameplay was improved in the next games, I have to say I couldn't even go back to the first RE games. That fixed angle and gameplay that everyone calls "survival horror" is simply too slow paced, lacks precision and feels overall tedius and boring. I actually enjoyed RE 6 quite a lot, and couln't believe how much it was hated and suddenly people were talking as if the RE games were masterpieces with amazing dialogue and incredibly terriying atmosphere.

roy130390

Dezzy

CanisWolfred wrote:

Just because it was trying to be serious horror doesn't mean it was effective. RE1 wasn't trying to be that campy, as far I know, either...

Are you telling me the person who wrote "you were almost a Jill sandwich" thought it was a serious line?

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Are you telling me the person who wrote "you were almost a Jill sandwich" thought it was a serious line?

They didn't. Or rather, it was lost in translation, you could say. Resident Evil never really used Japanese voice actors, though the first one almost did...it's just that it was too cheesy/poorly acted. I'll bet my bottom dollar that the English VA only sounded better due to the game's creators not being familiar with English to tell it was poorly acted. Plus, it made more sense to them to have everyone speaking English due to the setting.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Dezzy

@CanisWolfred

That's awesome. That's one of my favourite facts about gaming. So basically the translator and the person who directed the english voice acting hijacked a serious horror game, probably without the Japanese devs knowing, and completely changed the tone of the game.

Maybe accidentally. But it's funnier to imagine they were kind of intentional 'localisation terrorists'.

Edited on by Dezzy

MisterPi

I hope NG+ for God of War arrives, soon. Would love an excuse to replay the game

MisterPi

NEStalgia

Been getting into Nioh (I don't get it, I have the complete edition but the 3 story DLCs still show as listed at full price....aren't they supposed to be included? The icon is properly for the complete version....I fear Sony screwed up and I don't have the DLC.) Finally got out of the tower of London.....that final boss was kind of frustrating, but overall the game is addictively fun so far. I'm surprised how cool it is. Feels more Ninja Gaiden than Souls...I get flashbacks of Sigma with this. Though I guess Souls really copied from Gaiden then this is Team Ninja copying FROM who then again copied Team Ninja with their new game.

Only thing I don't get is Purify....I did the same thing a dozen times in the tutorial and it failed. Then it worked once and I don't know why.

@Dezzy "Getting excited about something you don't understand makes no sense to me." Yet people have been excited for Kojima games for decades....I don't get it either

I started trying to play MGSV....the hospital intro was slow and awkward....then the fire demon happened and I was just like "ok, screw it, Kojima's lost it." Maybe there's a great game behind that but given how the end of Ground Zeroes went, I fear Kojima is still Kojima, and thus, I have such little interest in Stranding. The best thing I can say about it is at least it's not TLoU2 or RE2 with all that gore.

@CanisWolfred heck the cheese RE is too scary for me But I could get the appeal. These new ones, I still don't understand why people pay money to experience that. I'd pay money not to have to.

NEStalgia

Tsurii

@NEStalgia for purifying you have to wait for the moment your ki gage fills after an attack/a combo and hit R1. The timing is a little finicky, if you wanna wait for it to fill completely, but you can basically hit the button the second you stop attacking

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

NEStalgia

@Tsurii There's the two different R1 ki actions. The one that you do it right after you stop attacking, it was working, dinging, glowing blue. But wasn't solving the tutorial requirement/purifying. I'm not quite sure the difference. Purify supposedly happens if you get the timing right....but not sure what the right timing is.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Yep that's it. It first teaches you to do the R1 just after attacks to replenish Ki. Then it brings in the Yokai (that thing is freaking so not Jibanyan.... ) and teaches you to do it again, somehow differently at the right time to get rid of the puddle. I would get the blue flash each time showing I did hit R1 with the blue lights....but....it wasn't enough to clear the puddle the way it wanted.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

I still haven't played MGS5 (or MGS4), but the rest of the series is brilliant so it's ok when you know you're getting more of the same-ish.

I plan on replaying MGS1 (gamecube version) and Peace Walker before I finally get to 5. And I guess I'm skipping 4 entirely because I don't have a PS3.

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

@Dezzy To be fair, I think Kojima was kind of losing it as Konami pushed him around and messed with him, but that was also partly his fault for spending unlimited amounts of their money for unlimited amounts of time with no return....he's a one man development-heck. I wonder of Sony does a better job reigning him in.

4, IMO was just kind of "meh"......4 was supposed to be the conclusion, but I think after 1-3 he started going off the rails (Peace Walker was ok...but I played it on PSP so that limited my enjoyment as the flesh was rended from my thumb ) I felt like I was playing 4 to see more movies rather than the movies being a compliment to the game. 5....the opening was REALLY out of place and didn't belong. Ground Zeroes was good until the ending went waaaaay off the rails (and it was a $40 prologue), from what I've heard from spoilers of 5 the story goes even MORE off the rails (I take it as Kojima's middle finger to Konami for not wanting to do MGS anymore), but the gameplay is very well designed for the first half...then clearly stapled together from scraps when the budget ran out in the second half.

Kojima's too ambitious. I think he was at his best pushing limited systems to do big things rather than pushing big systems to do really big things. Which makes me very wary of Stranding. A game already years into development, and that demo wasn't terribly inspiring so far.

NEStalgia

MisterPi

Does it even have a release year? Or release gen?

MisterPi

Octane

@NEStalgia Two-and-a-half years so far, so I'd say it's pretty impressive what they'vd got so far. Especially since they got the current engine a bit later. If it's a 2019 game, it has been a pretty short development cycle.

Octane

Ralizah

NEStalgia wrote:

Ground Zeroes was good until the ending went waaaaay off the rails (and it was a $40 prologue)

This is why I wait for sales.

It was my first purchase on my PS4 in 2014, and, for me, it was a $6 prologue.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@MisterPi I don't think we got a year. I imagine it's PS4 though since this was a PS4 showcase and it was introduced for PS4 originally. Even if it also releases on PS5 Im certain it will play on PS4 (like P5 on PS4/PS3.)

@Octane If it were a 2019 game we'd have seen a lot more footage....and it's Kojima.

@Ralizah I think I paid $20...but I was desperate for SOMETHING to play on my PS4 that had no games. But all's fair in love, war, and video games. I paid them $20 for the prologue, and $0 for the final release thanks to XBLG/PSN

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

LOL Sony's sales evoke those same feelings of reckless consumerism that Steam sales used to inspire in me. And then I remember that those games would go straight to my backlog and I'd just be out some amount of money that I could have used on a newer game that I'm actually excited for.

@NEStalgia $0? I have to know where you're getting free PS+ subs.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I went the other way around.....Sony has so many sales, but I've kind of converted to :Sony for Exclusives, Nintendo for everything I can get for it, and X1X for everything else. So I ended up rebuying things I bought on PS4 in January's sale on XBox's summer sale BUT I'm more confident my purchases are in for the next gen with them...I even picked up some OG XB games I last played on PC 13 years ago since they're now enhanced....so I'm going BACK through my backlog, adding all the game I missed in the last 5 years and all the games I miss from 13 years ago (I really want to play AC 1 and Jade Empire again.) BUT There's not that much more from that backlog timeframe I want, so I figure I can now coast into the end of the gen on what I bought, and by the time the new gen comes out all the new E3 games will be $15 and I can rebuild the log! I can hold off on this gen until the inevitable mid-gen refresh comes out for the X2/PS5! (Plus $60 for everything Switch because Nintendo Tax.)

Hah, not a free PS+ Sub, but I've saved enough on PS+ discounts that they've already paid me to take it Not as much with XBLG, sadly.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic