Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,021 to 9,040 of 16,083

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Anyone else disappointed by the reveal trailer for Cyberpunk 2077? I was hoping for something dark and atmospheric, like Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell, but this reminded me more of something like Watch Dogs 2, down to the generic-looking protagonist.

Yep. That's what I said in the other thread when it was shown. Looked a bit like a Ubisoft game.

Still, I remain hopeful that it was just that particular trailer. I was never overly interested in the Witcher 3 to start with either. Basically had to force myself to play it originally.

I was really hoping for a permanent nighttime setting though. That's what I imagine when I think Cyberpunk.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Octane I think it'll probably still be a good game. Maybe even with fantastic story-telling that dramatically affects the world around you, if their reputation via TW3 is on the money. And it definitely can't always be nighttime. But... yeah, it was lacking in a certain gravitas. A certain feeling that you were watching something special. There was no atmosphere or character to it. I was picturing something haunting and alien, like Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell, where jaw-dropping visual design and skillful use of music were used to make the viewer feel like they were looking at a terrifying, alienating, but also spectacular future world.

@Dezzy It could still salvage itself for me if it offers a lot of interesting and unique ideas in the gameplay department. It'd be insanely cool if you could be, say, a hacker, or work as a mercenary, and have multiple storyline altering decisions to make across various factions. I'm definitely not giving up on it... just disappointed that I wasn't wowed by the aesthetic qualities of the trailer.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Nothing to salvage really, it was just 1 trailer to show the world. We still know almost nothing about it. We still don't know if it's 3rd person or 1st person, character creator or predefined cast, etc etc.
And it's obviously not going to be daylight for the entire game. It'll have a day/night cycle.
So I'm still very enthusiastic about it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Not sure how I missed that there's a friggin HD version of Metal Wolf Chaos coming State-side!

Pity it's not on Switch, though.

They're marketing it with the slogan "Mech America Great Again" XD

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Thanks. What everyone else said about it it sounds great, but since you tended to think similarly to me on Soulsborne I figured your experience would translate well to me. My take-away is it's probably a game I'd enjoy but not be enthralled with. I'll get it someday if it's cheap or cheap-ish, but not at moderately near-full pricing. 50% off or less.

As for Cyberpunk, I'm unfamiliar overall and went in with no expectations beyond everyone being hyped for it, and I came away impressed. I love Blade Runner worlds, but other games already do that, and in a way, Crackdown does that (in a bombastic comic book way), and there's always Batman...noir, not cyberpunk, but it gives samey vibes. Like Canis said, Deus Ex kind of set the bar on that world already. I agree that I thought of Watch Dogs 2 a few times, but most importantly what I saw was more of a Larry Niven book in real life. If so, don't let the cheery environment trick you.....the horrific dystopian things being so normalized they happen in the light of day, casually, are even more horrifying than when they're in the cover of night. The dystopia isn't a criminal underground running beneath the norm of society...it is the norm of society, and that's what makes it so dismal. I have high hopes, though I'm not familiar with an existing universe for it, so my entire view is shaped by that one trailer.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia It's on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy right now, actually.

I'm not really worried about Cyberpunk being "cheerful." I'm just disappointed by the mainstream, modern aesthetics of it.

Edited on by Ralizah

TuVictus

Sony needs to impress, though I think that's an impossibility at this point considering they've already tempered our expectations beforehand.

one thing that will get me to perk my ears up would be footage of RE2 remake with optional VR mode like RE7

TuVictus

Octane

@MisterPi Four games, that's all

Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II.

Anything else and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Octane

TuVictus

@Octane "Sony's conference will 'have stellar announcements from third-party publishers and independent developers' as well."

I just hope what they do show off isn't just a repeat of the third party trailers from MS. I gotta hand it to them, they knocked it out of the park.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Ralizah

So, for a manufacturer to have a "good conference," they apparently just need to show a bunch of upcoming third party games that are releasing on multiple platforms instead of focusing on games that can only be experienced on their own platform.

I guess it's not like Sony's strategy of showing a kickstarter game and a multiplat FF7 remake that likely won't see the light of day for another 8 years during its "year of dreams" E3 was any better.

I like their current strategy of relying on the strength of four exclusives to carry their show. Now we just need to hope the games themselves are up to snuff.

TuVictus

Yeah, Id say so. Like it or not, if you get the trailers and announcements in your conference, regardless if it's multiplatform or not, it's still a big win. Especially for Microsoft, who have had to claw their way back for good will. I would much rather a conference like MS with multiplatform games than a conference that says "we'll be focusing on these four things".

So yeah, surprises > focused attention on known games.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Good catch! $16 for me with GCU still (another 1.5 years of it thankfully!) Technically a game like that I'd MUCH rather have digital though.....I see myself dropping in and out, not enthralled like Detroit or such. Hard call. Oh wait, that's without the DLC....I didn't compare the digital price to that.

@Octane Spider Man "meh but decent", Ghost, TloU...not for me.....Death Stranding...is it for anyone? Who knows. I kind of got turned off MGSV right after the fire demon in the hospital. Kojima's lost it. Yeah yeah, I get that that almost certainly is a Mantis story.....but it's just.....the whole thing just turned me off it.

@MisterPi I think it had to be assumed MS would do great. It's their first meaningful E3 since the doomed X1 launch after years of almost not being present. Meanwhile Sony's been cranking out the hits for 2-3 years and can't possibly sustain that forever.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah You mean the strategy Sony borrowed from Nintendo? (Again)

That sells the MS show short. Yeah they did tons of 3rd party multiplat games (as though Sony hasn't done that for years.) But they actually showed a lot of exclusives, and at least more importantly a large initiative for future exclusives. Sony won E3 years ago by showing two Squeenix games, one exclusive, one not. Maybe not as "cool" exclusives as Sony (through the eyes of a Nintendo/Sega gamer who doesn't 'get' GTA and EA popularity....) but there's finally some meat to their catalog coming.

I really don't get the point of "world premiere" though. Why have Todd Howard come out to show the same Fallout trailer he's going to show at his own show 4 hours later and announce that Fallout 4 is now in the subscription bundle? That's cool (it would have been meaningful if it weren't $10 last week....) and the timesuck that was The Division 2 seemed out of place in the MS show, when it's a full Ubi demo without context. But I can't fault MS for it. Sony's done that since forever, and everyone claims they win E3. A few years ago KH3 was what half of people loved Sonys show for. Shouldn't they have loved Squeenix's show instead? Sony had Detroit for the first time that year. That to me was a winner.

Edit: I also think the message MS is sending is "all these games are for PC and XBox One X. But they'll also run on a Playstation if that's all you've got." It's subtle, but that's always been their approach and I think that showcase signals that. Lets be real, with what AAAs are targeting now, the PS4 Pro is kind of required for decent framerates. Not for exclusives, but lazy AAAs.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

TuVictus

@NEStalgia Honestly I had no expectations from them. I thought they were at a point where they would modestly ride out the rest of the generation, but they went the other way and doubled down. I gotta respect them for that

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@MisterPi Yeah, I'm so glad to see it. I thought for years they'd exit and sell off at the end of the gen. It was a meltdown. The competition is the only thing that's keeping us from getting totally screwed by one or the other If we ended where PS5 was the only console (non Nintendo) it would be $800 with DRM out every oriface, Gaikai only, $120 games and mandatory DLC. Even Sony's getting complacent with their unchallenged first place pedestal. It's good to see the competition fire up again!

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia I'm looking forward to all of them. I liked Infamous, and Spider-Man seems to be in that vein, super hero in a big city. Sucker Punch doing a feudal Japan game? Yes please. And I really liked TLOU. Death Stranding could disappoint I guess. Kojima was talking about online feature, I just hope they're not too intrusive, that could kill the experience for me. I like the world/visuals though.

Since you mentioned Detroit, have you played the game already? If so, what do you think?

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane I'm a huge Infamous fan (shame that series seems to be going nowhere ) and I still don't get the feel for Sucker Punch Japan Style. TLOU....zombies still not for me. I actually did just buy the first for $10....will I ever play it? Doubtful

Kojima....not holding my breath. The 90's were not kind to him apparently

I haven't opened Detroit yet....may be a loooong time until I get there. South Park, AC: Origins, probably Ys first, at least. I'm looking forward to it...I loved it from the first reveal.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

I liked Sucker Punch's approach to stealth, but I need to see some actual gameplay of their game before I get excited. I'm reminded that inFamous had a story so pitifully boring that I spent the entirety of the series just making my own story as I went, because it felt like they went for the absolute most boring routes possible with the ones that were in the games.

So yeah, story trailer's not going to do anything for me.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TuVictus

Congrats to Sony for managing to still have a respectable conference despite MS hitting it out of the park. Not sure why people seem so down on it, I think it did more than was promised. I can't wait for the legendary week that'll be re2/kh3 assuming no more delays happen

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic