Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,981 to 9,000 of 16,083

Dezzy

Dead or Alive 6:

Looks good. Seems like all of the fighting franchises are doing the same slow-mo up-close finishing move thing nowadays.

Oh well, this is one of the few fighting games I usually enjoy. For me it goes:
Mortal Kombat>Smash Bros>DOA=Soul Calibur>>>>>>Tekken>Street Fighter>Everything else.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Days of Play sale is live on PSN. Some great deals, like Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition and Shadow of the Colossus for roughly $20 a pop. The Last Guardian is down to $15.

12 Months of PSN is also $50 right now, although personally I'd wait until it drops to $40 again.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah I can get PS Plus for €37 right now. It seems tempting because it's usually €60, but I'm not sure if I need it lol.

Octane

NEStalgia

I just have to gripe about Sony's online billing one more time. So I went to buy Last Guardian (which they wouldn't let me add to my cart for last week's sale, that the endlessly refused to bill my paypal for), and, of course, it rejects my paypal. I removed my paypal and readded it. Twice. In two browsers. Nope, still errors several times. So I finally wade through their horrible support pages to try to contact them, only to discover that if I use Edge, a Chat option appears, if I don't, I get YouTube and Twitter as their official support solutions. So I go to chat, it gives me a list of topics, and then dumps me back on the FAQ. I go through again and find that if I hit the button about existing cases, it takes me to the chat info prompt. I then, after about 40 tries and fails to buy something over the past month, hit the checkout button again to grab the error code before going into chat support.........and it successfully buys Last Guardian. WHAT is going on with that cart? 40-ish tries in weeks, and then once I open the chat support window in another tab it suddenly works.

**$#@$@$

Fix your freaking broken cart, Sony!! This is part of the reason I've just bought about 20 games on XBox that I may have bought on Playstation. They actually let me buy things! Between the X1X being the "more powerful", having a nicer (to me) controller layout, having much better digital library management features (copying games, copying games between units without a "system transfer", seeing download sizes) (credit to Sony though, it's MUCH friendlier to disc buyers which until now has been me...if I were on my old internet I'd be Sony all the way), I think my Pro is now an "exclusives box." Of which there are a worthy number (and quite a number in my backlog, both disc and physical.) Plus Deus Ex and Andromeda that have a Pro patch and not a 1X patch. Funnily even as an exclusives box it accounts for half my non-Switch library.

If only Skyrim SE and Skyrim VR could share save files, I'd have bought that on the Pro though.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Thanks for the tip on PSN and waiting for a $40 drop. PING ME when it drops to 40 somewhere! (Amazon doesn't even have 12mo subs ATM....) I was tempted at 50 but I have until January, so I've got time. And it probably woudln't bill me doing it on PSN anyway.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia I've bought plenty of digital indie games on PS4, and I've never had an issue.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane I suspect if you use a CC instead of Paypal it's easier. However since giving your CC to Sony is like leaving it on a table at McDonalds, and the last time I trusted them I spent months trying to piece the chain of fail back together, I'm not inclined to do it again They introduced PayPal BECAUSE their CC security involves a screen door and a "No Looking" sign taped to it to get people to buy from them again. But apparently they weren't too enthused about doing it right.

@redd215 The problem with pre-paid cards is you end up buying more than you might actually spend....or you might not have enough for what you intend to spend best option would be a $20 card. It works, but it's an odd solution that lets Sony hold onto your money for longer for future buys rather than giving it to them when you buy something. Now, Peek-a-boo saves some money buying cards at less than sticker price. If I could routinely do that it might work.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia We don't really use credit cards over here... I don't own one at least. It's weird, but the bank card I have isn't a credit card, and we've got a completely different system than any other country as far as I'm aware. But it's either that or PayPal, both work fine for me!

Octane

redd214

@NEStalgia meh I don't see that as being a problem really as I know I'm going to spend it eventually anyways. Having change in my SEN wallet doesn't keep me up at night lol. You could also go the prepaid visa/mastercard route. Will cost a couple bucks extra but would help you avoid the PayPal problem and you would spend the exact amount.

redd214

NEStalgia

@Octane Technically the credit card system is incredibly stupid to begin with "a string of numbers anyone can use is valid billing info"....who thought of that system? But there are bank cards here that are and that aren't usable as CCs. But since the internet is based on CCs by and large...it's kind of important. Interesting PP isn't rejected for you. I've had issues with PP at times but never ANYTHING like with the PSN store. Even MS's store had a weird thing that adding and reusing a few times cured....I thought it was equally bad, but once it got fixed it's been ok (knock wood.)

@redd214 Very true. After a while it becomes a convenience/principle thing. Nintendo takes my PayPal. Microsoft takes my PayPal. Gamestop, Newegg, and nearly everyone else but Amazon takes my PayPal. If I have to jump through hoops to use it on Sony, I'll just use it minimally and buy more for XBox and Switch, problem solved I mean I have most of the PS exclusives...a few a year won't kill me (and I'll want some of those physical.)

Still bummed about Horizon complete for $20 after I spent full price last year I wonder why that game tanked in price SO quickly after supposedly good sales. Other exclusives retain better value for Sony. I grabbed the DLC pack on the Jan sale though, so I have "complete" with the disc.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@Haru17 Maybe though given how unpredictable Capcom is, I could see them limiting Nintendo to 4th gen.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@NEStalgia It's always a hassle if I want to order something elsewhere. I don't do that very often, but it means I have to borrow someone else's credit card (fortunately my parents have one). Our system seems a lot more secure, I never understood why most of the rest of the world uses credit card

Octane

Dezzy

Why wasn't RE2 Remake listed on the Capcom thing. It's surely gonna be shown this E3. It was announced a few years back and remakes generally don't take as long to make as original games (FF7 not included) Maybe as part of one of the other publisher shows? Playstation maybe?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Yeah, Amazon has been weird about PSN stuff lately. You can't buy any of the smaller PSN cards on Amazon, either.

Regarding Horizon dropping in price so drastically: this is why I only ever buy niche Japanese games and Nintendo games at launch (except for Gravity Rush 2, which I mainly just wanted to support at full price). Western third party games and ESPECIALLY Sony first-party games will drop in price drastically over the course of a year or so.

I suppose Rockstar games would also be worth getting day one, as their games also tend to retain their value. Not for me, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah, honestly I've never understood the love of CCs either. The system is pretty much honor system based from start to finish. I guess that was fine when it started in the US only and it was mostly an honest population here with a seedy underbelly that wasn't really participating. I always preferred cold hard cash. But once we opened it up to an internet where anyone anywhere can use any of those numbers anywhere.....it stopped making any sense. Yet, still, the #1 theft of card data is restauraunts....you hand the card to the waiter/waitress who takes it back to the register/back room. As though they can't steal that. Yet everyone pays in CCs in restaurants. I pay cash. You can count the pennies. They always talk about cashless societies.....replaced by what, CC's hackable from Beijing and PayPal that "may or may not work depending on the interface written by the web designer?"

@Ralizah Amazon's been weird about a lot of stuff lately....It's making Walmart look appealing. But yeah I noticed that oddness of smaller PSN cards. "Ohh, TLG is $15, I guess I'll buy a $50 card!" They're so manipulative of their vendors, no doubt they're throwing their weight around like the incident that had them not selling 3DS's for most of the life of 3DS. I'm starting to feel dirty when I buy from them.

I haven't seen other games, even Sony, drop quite like Horizon did. I suspect GoW will not drop that fast. Detroit will (but I bought it full price because it was a 2 year old preorder). Spidey will. Still, Horizon sank like a rock as though it was a failure. I haven't seen that before. Even Ubisoft PRETENDS to keep their prices high for a year or more....FC4 is still $50 but often on sale for $30. Heck Watch_Dogs 1 complete goes on sale for $20.....that's way older than Horizon. And much less well received.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia They take your card?! What kind of nonsense is that?

My card is protected by a card number (four numbers), and an account number (10 numbers, with an additional 8 numbers specifying country and bank). And there's a four-numbered password. For online transactions we have these fancy card readers with a camera that can scan a QR-code-like image, after you entered your card and account number. You need to enter your password on the reader, it scans the image and provides you with a randomised eight-numbered code, and that's the one you enter in the secured check-out page of your bank. It sounds complicated, but it's a quick process in practice. If someone steals your card, it's still safe because they don't know your password, if they know your card and account number, they still don't have access to your card, etc. You need all four in most cases. They've recently introduced that NFC payment thing, where you don't need your password anymore for small transactions, but you can opt out of that stuff if you want to. Anyway, no restaurant can take my card and complete the payment without me, and that's a good thing!

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane I don't do it myself, but I watch people merrily do so. I'd say probably 70% of restaurant customers I see pay with cards (can't give up those free travel points!) (while I leave a pile of coins on the table )....the little billfolds they give you the bill in have a slot to put your card in, of course so they can take it all back with them cleanly. It also is the #1 point of theft of stolen card numbers in the US. Now that we've adopted chips a decade after you did, it's harder for them to just get clone cards made for PoS, but they can use the number online just fine.

Here cards are just your 16 digit card number, your 4 digit expiration date, and your 3 digit CVV code (all printed on the card in plain text.) For retail terminals that use the chip, it does use that. For online, it's just those 3 fields and away you go (tied to billing address...which Sony freely handed to the criminals with a bow on top.)

WOW, that card reader thing is cool. Those don't even EXIST on this continent AFAIK. I've sure as heck never seen one. Ever. Complicated which is probably why they don't do it here (American consumers demand "one click instant buy" after all....because a cart checkout page is too much to handle, let alone two and a device!)

But yeah, restauraunts, they take the card, swipe it in the back, and bring it back with your receipt...,.and you trust they didn't copy the data. Even though they often do.

And yeah for online here.....well, I had my CC, and date and address on PSN. And PSN got hacked. And not long after I was suddenly buying hundreds of dollars of WoW currency in Thailand, and Walmart goods in Chicago. Needless to say, PSN is NOT getting my CC number again even if Yoshida shows up in my bedroom and threatens me.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@NEStalgia Yeah, Amazon has been weird about PSN stuff lately. You can't buy any of the smaller PSN cards on Amazon, either.

...wait what? Then what were all of the $10 PSN codes I bought back in May?

Also, Dead or Alive 6 was announced: https://gematsu.com/2018/06/dead-or-alive-6-announced-for-ps4...

I loved DOA 5: Last Round, but the endless parade of DLC (and remember, Last Round was supposed to be the "definitive edition" wih all the updates and DLC up to that point...) really has me wary of what they're planning to do with it. Is it just gonna be DOA Core from the onset, a bare-bones platform to build on later? Or are they gonna do the right thing and not bilk their fanbase for every last coin they can muster this time around?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic