Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,841 to 8,860 of 16,083

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Of course. Which is what they should've included in the game if they needed to fulfill some corporate checkbox of having a female character.

Listen to yourself.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

Of course. Which is what they should've included in the game if they needed to fulfill some corporate checkbox of having a female character.

Listen to yourself.

No need to listen to me. Listen to their own developers trying to explain it and notice how they give no artistic justification at all. They just rattle off corporate buzzwords like "inclusivity" and "diversity". When someone just responds like that rather than actually addressing the complaints, it looks to me like corporate policy running the decision making. If it was artistically driven and the actual developers cared about having female characters in their game, why on earth would they choose WW2 as a setting? Makes no sense at all. They'd do something more like what Bioware do instead, which is choose settings that don't have those kinds of in-built constraints.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CanisWolfred

@Dezzy Oh good, I was starting to wonder if anyone else remembered this game was still published by EA. Corporate mandates at the expense of artist and moral integrity are their calling card. That's a big part of why they bleed so much talent and effectively kill off any studio they buy out in less than a decade.

So yes, there's a chick with an anachronism for an arm featured on the cover because some suits would've thrown a fit if they actually tried to be truthful to the time period they were representing, at least on a superficial level...because let's face it, this game will be just like every other Battlefield game, reskinned and repackaged. It's just that now it's come full circle.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 Actually I've found that Switch gives me weird trouble when I locate it on my one longer/complicated HDMI signal chain. I installed one of those Christmas light remote control on-off switches onto one repeater that seems to only take the Switch after a restart. XBox has no problems in the same location, and I haven't tried PS4 over there. My PS4 location (closer to the output) sometimes has flaky display issues as well though, so you may be right. If so, though, it's Switch and PS4/Pro that are weird with only X1X behaving well.

@Ralizah (moved here from the Switch thread) Yeah yeah, you say DS is the best layout for 2D + 3D games, but how many 2D games that need a D-Pad have you actually played on a PS4? PS1, sure. Any true retro game I'm likely to play on Switch instead, other than PS1 classics and such. But any game from the last 15 years is going to be made for analogs first. Except for "8 bit inspired retro" type indies...but again, those seem most at home on Switch, which also doesn't have a good D-Pad ) It just seems silly unless you're a hardcore retro obsessive to compromise the input 90% of games/gametime use to make it more balanced for the other 10%. And if you're a hardcore retro obsessive that plays 90% or even 50/50 retro modern, wouldn't it make more sense to buy two controllers, one ideal for retro games one for modern than have a compromise controller that's kind of so-so for both? Plenty of 3rd party retro controllers exist that are way better than either the DS, X1, or Switch Pro for old stuff. For everyone else, the D-Pad is a menu navigation tool. Located right where the thumb should rest.

@Ryu_Niiyama Maybe so, but the game is clearly Edo.... It just smacks of "lets be sure to include everyone with their own pseudo avatar" more than "hey this fits the story world well!" Only trouble is there are female-only and male-only character classes....so if I want to play a speed character....like I tend to in fighting games, I'm forced to be female, and if you want to play a bruiser, you're gonna' be a dude..... Twice as weird is that you can pick your avatar for the medium classes. Nothing says "our focus group determined we must target the sentiments of the following market segments regardless of your game design and story intents" quite like that setup.

Anyway, back to the controllers. This is coming from somone that owns 3 $150+ controllers excluding the HRAP: That Scuf is expensive!

I loathe the DS4. As Ralizah knows The Scuf is the 3rd licensed controller. The Nacon Revolution is now on V2, and STILL has quality problems. They're supposedly working on V3. It's an XBox layout, but with button breakage issues. Then there's the Razer Raiju. Not licensed for sale in the US for some odd reazon, but it's easily available. Just no warranty. I really like that controller. A lot. It's not perfect though. The sticks are AMAZING. They're in the PS4 orientation unfortunately...BUT, when I use it I tend to not even notice! It has proven to me one thing: It's not JUST the position of the sticks that are the problem on the DS...it's the sticks themselves. High resistance, short, stumpy, minimum throw, and a deadzone the size of Lake Superior with an excessive centering spring. It's like the worse version of a Joycon stick. After using the Raiju, I like the XBox layout more, BUT quality sticks in the DS position are totally fine....the DS sticks just suck, in addition to being badly located. Replace them with quality and the layout is functional. The Raiju also has tactile ABXY/AXOD whatever buttons and bumpers. I.E. rather than rubber dome, they are microswitches...mouse buttons. Once you get used to these, mushy rubber buttons will always feel wrong. Now the bad side. The D-Pad. It is without question the single most awful D-Pad I have ever been forced to experience. Even the OG X360 D-Pad is great next to it. It's meant for eSports FPS. It's meant for "solid press to change weapons." It's 4 separate hard to press high resistance buttons. You CAN'T use it as a D-Pad. Think Joycon but with deep actuation points and stiff domes. Also, like the Revolution it's wired only if that matters.

I also have an X1 Elite that I paid half price for used and it has a badly drifting right stick I can compensate well for with a hard delay curve and applying some pressure to the stick. They FEEL so good. Best FEELING controller ever. Sadly the build is garbage. They are guaranteed to fail by way of stick drift, bumper self ejection, or at minimum, the rubber grips falling off (seems discontinued, rumor is v2 at E3.)

My favorite (of all time) controller? X1 Razer Wolverine Ultimate. If they made that thing for PS4 (why do they not?!?) I'd buy it instantly. Wired only of course. But swappable sticks and dpads like Elite, GREAT textures, light, and the microswitch buttons and lovely sticks, plus 6 extra buttons, 2 mappable in software to a hard accel/decel for the sticks......the rapid switch to precision aiming is almost cheating. Hunting in AC:Origins is a breeze. Sadly, PS4 only gets Raiju, a PS4 version of the Wildcat. Boo. At $160 that's extreme though.

Now onto Scuf. $180 (+$10 shipping) for a wired only version of what's basically a suckier Raiju with a working D-Pad. Or you can get the only wireless 3rd party controller for $200 (+$10 shipping). But if you pay $230 you get free shipping and can customize it, so $20 diff for custom or not. It looks nice. Wireless is nice. It still has a non-replaceable battery (it will fail, or at least wireless mode will fail at some point), it still has no gyros, and it still has no light bar (meaning it can't work with PSVR still, and it won't work with the few games that use the gyro.) All for nearly the price of the console itself.... Plus, while Nacon has SEVERE design problems still it seems, and Razer seems to be good design, spotty QC (you get a lemon it's a lemon, but if it's a good one it's well made), I've heard Scuf has reliability problems. Performance over durability. I can't say, but like the Elite when you see the same complaints often (stick drift, grips falling off, paddles breaking) there might be something to it. I can't help but wonder if Scuf is the OEM behind the Elite itself. But a $200+ controller that has high risk of failure seems a little distressing, even to me

I haven't ruled it out, but I have a hard time getting super excited for it either. Scuf tends to be the most expensive and most associated with eSports (and consequently eSports gamers with piles of "worn out" Scufs. ) If the price were better I'd love it, but there's a certain point where even the insane like me have to step back and say "wait...what am I getting for this money?" $160 seemed "almost ok".....$200 seems "not almost ok"

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

Bethesda is hinting at a new Fallout project and Obsidian denied involvement. Uhuh. new Vegas remaster then? Seems too soon for 5

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

Strange that I still haven't played a FO game. I hope whatever they announce will be a good starting point

TuVictus

Haruki_NLI

@MisterPi From what I've heard New Vegas really is like the prime jumping in point

redd214

The Bethesda fallout stream hasn't moved in hours and they still have 100k people watching lol. Not really into fallout games but I love the hyping Bethesda does!

redd214

Haruki_NLI

@redd214 That's because no one in that stream realised its a looping gif yet.

redd214

@YummyHappyPills no they've changed a couple things and had some people walk in. Pete Hines popped in to.

redd214

KirbyTheVampire

@YummyHappyPills It's not. There have been things such as a dabbing puppet, a hand giving a thumbs up, balloons thrown into frame, a guy walking past the camera drinking a coffee, etc etc. Whether it's just a gigantic troll or they're actually gonna announce something during the stream is up for debate. I'm sure they have something to say, but I'm not sure how important the stream actually is.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia Since my previous comment I have learned more about the issue and have found it happening with more devices. It has made me give up on HDMI switch devices after having the issue with 2 of them on 2 different TV...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Dezzy

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Dezzy Oh good, I was starting to wonder if anyone else remembered this game was still published by EA. Corporate mandates at the expense of artist and moral integrity are their calling card. That's a big part of why they bleed so much talent and effectively kill off any studio they buy out in less than a decade.

Exactly. I know for a fact EA have meddled with the design decisions in their other developers. My ex-girlfriend used to work as an interpreter for Bioware when they'd focus group their new projects (she spoke french and spanish)
The people she worked with at Bioware made it quite clear that Mass Effect becoming more and more shooter-like was a corporate decision from EA. And releasing Dragon Age 2 way too early was also an EA decision. Neither of those were creative decisions from the developers.

Edited on by Dezzy

redd214

@Heavyarms55 perhaps the brand of the switcher is the issue? We use 2 hdmi switchers in our game room and haven't had a problem with them before and they're from 4 or 5 years ago.

redd214

Haruki_NLI

New Fallout for PS4/Xbox One/PC:

TuVictus

A whole new fallout already?

TuVictus

Octane

''Hey Microsoft, we're thinking about making a new Fallout game, Fallout 5 perhaps.''
''No, that doesn't make any sense, that's now how numbers work. It should be Fallout... err... 76!''

Octane

Haru17

The Final Fantasy numbering joke is solid, but 76 is actually a vault in-universe. In Fallout 3 it was detailed in a computer entry as the control vault, i.e. no testing.

Haru17

Anyway, why'd everyone pick today as game news day? Is the penultimate Wednesday before E3 really that big of a mark?

Dezzy

Reminds me of when I thought FF7 was the first final fantasy game because it was the first one released in europe and it wasn't that easy to find information about such things back then. We got the internet in our house in 98 I think. So until then I just assumed the 7 meant something else.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic