Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 8,741 to 8,760 of 11,284

PikPi

Geez. That's way too excessive

PikPi

CanisWolfred

MisterPi wrote:

Geez. That's way too excessive

Hahaha I know! There's another game for me to outright ignore until a complete edition is out. Eidos really should've learned from their Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-order fiasco - instead they're doubling down on the issue! What a joke.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Ryu_Niiyama

Why wasn't Laura Croft that cool when I was growing up?

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama Because it took Square Enix quite a while to discover ludonarrative dissonance.

Octane

Dezzy

Game looks good. I've enjoyed the first 2 immensely. The 2nd one especially is really underrated and deserved to sell more.
My one complaint would be they're not really on par with Uncharted in terms of the interesting and varied environments. This image could easily be from the first game. Not saying it doesn't look good. It just looks too familiar. There's nothing as interesting as the Madgasgar plains in Uncharted 4 or the openworld exploration of desert islands in a boat in Uncharted 4.

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy That screenshot looks like it was taken out of the final rainy level in Uncharted 4 for heavens sake!

As a fan of the original four games, although I only managed to complete the first and third one, I find the reboots utterly charmless and a poor intimidation of the Uncharted series, which is slightly ironic given that the first Uncharted game shared some similarities to the original Tomb Raider series in parts, and has a pulpy Sunday afternoon Indiana Jones feel about it too.

It seems that they are quite successful so, what do I know... and Lara looks totally different from the previous two games too - why can’t they stick to one face? The story, dialogue and character building is terrible compared to Uncharted as well. And hearing Lara orgasmic screams in the reboot every single time she was in danger or when she died was really, really grating.

Look at her faaccceeee!

Untitled

I think I’ll stop now!

p.s. The game is coming out at the worst possible time too; Dragon Quest XI, Spider-Man, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shenmue I & II all come out in a space of three weeks.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

@Peek-a-boo It feels like most 3rd parties on PS4/XB1 are doomed in the 2nd half of this year because of RDR2 meanwhile all 3rd parties on Switch are doomed during the same timespan because of Smash (and Pokemon if it's a 2018 game).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Peek-a-boo

I think they're deliberately changing her face because she's supposed to be getting older between games.

Peek-a-boo

@Octane You finished?

Just finished myself.

I have an incredibly hard time thinking what other game is going to sit amongst - let alone perch above - God of War this year. As someone who wasn’t overly fussed about the previous games, of which I only played God of War 2 and the majority of Ascension, this one is a complete revelation.

The combat system is meaty, weighty, and reliable. I feel engaged and alert in every single encounter, in full control of an avatar where every hit, dodge, and counter matters.The level design paces encounters in such a way that they're yet to feel repetitive or ‘grindy’ - short enough to avoid outstaying their welcome, long enough to provide a challenge.

With exception of a few overdrawn places so far, the game rarely doubles down on tedium, instead carefully balancing the exciting highs of action with tempered exploration and world building. The pacing welcomes being able to stop for a little while, and soak in the setting and the overall mood without overwhelming (the player) with intensity.

There's a somberness to much of the exploration and tone.

Yet in the same breath when the action does peak the tone returns to Kratos' blood soaked roots and embraces the carnage. Kratos has lost no identity and his fury is there in force, the game just a much better job than its predecessors in highlighting these moments instead of desensitizing them. The narrative equally balances these themes - Kratos' history and persona undeniably conscious in the writing, but equally consciously subdued.

It draws so much from what I consider to be the Resident Evil 4 school of design, which The Last of Us did too. The pacing, level design, structure, encounter flow, quasi RPG system, inventory and loot, etc. There's so many design parallels, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I shall talk about the story if you are done too, but finding out about Atreus/Loki and knowing that he is also very possibly the last Giant made me feel positively giddy at the prospect of the eventual sequel!

The last seven or eight games I have given thee FULL 10/10 to are Metroid Prime, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Hotline Miami, Journey, The Last of Us, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Bloodborne. For me, a ten isn’t necessarily a perfect game, but one that does so, so many things right and is a wholly memorable experience.

And that’s what God of War is in a nutshell, which is why, for me, it’s a 10.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

PikPi

It really is a masterpiece. Even as someone whose only experience with the franchise before now was the first PSP game, the story does a great job of making me feel included.

PikPi

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Not yet! I'm at the part where you return to Hel for the second time, I just got back and did a little exploring around the lake. So I won't look what's underneath that spoiler tag of yours

I agree with everything you say though. The Lake of Nine is brilliant, and I love how it opens up as the story progresses. It's kinda unique, and there's context behind it too. The only wish I have is that we could explore the other realms a bit more, but by the looks of it, that won't happen. Seeing a tiny bit of the map unveiled, but the rest covered in thick clouds makes me a little sad!

The amount of side content isn't comparable to The Witcher 3, but this game feels like it's quality over quantity (that's not to say TW3 didn't have quality side quests!). The story bits that play during the side quests, the unique dialogue and animations, it feels like I'm doing a main quest at times! There's a lot of attention and detail in the side stuff, it's pretty remarkable. Then again, this isn't even a traditional open world game, so it's the right amount of side content for this kind of game, and from what I've seen, you can spend as much time as you want on some of the side challenges.

Anyway, I'm eager to play more. Last time I played was on Thursday last week! A pretty cool thing happened, as I had a revelation of some sorts. I was thinking a bit about the game on Friday... knowing that Baldr gets killed by a spear made of mistletoe in Norse mythology, I figured that, when Kratos learned that Baldur does indeed have a weakness, I'm getting a third weapon: a mistletoe spear. Completing the trio of weapons, a blue ice axe, the red chain blades and a green mistletoe spear (I figured you could throw it too!). Anyway, the following day, that's when I recalled the green arrows Atreus had, and Freya telling him those are dangerous. I think I sat there for a good few seconds with my mouth wide open! I think I've figured it out, haha! Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing whether I was right or not, so I'm going to play some more right now!

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I wonder, if RDR2 was to be delayed for whatever reason would other games get "delayed" back to their normal positions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

Which games were delayed from an original release of October?

Does anything get delayed that far ahead?

Dezzy

Game looks excellent. I'm still waiting til I get an Xbone next month before I get to play the first one.

link3710

@Peek-a-boo Man, I was so set on not buying God of War before it came out after having tried the previous ones. With everyone giving it glowing reviews like that, I don't think there's any way I can avoid it. Just one question for you, how bad is the gore? I have trouble dealing with games like that myself, but I recently made it through Doom and Bayonetta so... getting better at handling it.

link3710

PikPi

@link3710 If you're okay with DOOM, which really maximizes the amount of ripping and tearing, I doubt you'd find anything wrong with GoW. There's blood, sure, but only for certain enemies. Most regular ones are elemental in nature and so usually explode in ice or a ball of magma

PikPi

Octane

@link3710 If you can handle DOOM, you can handle God of War for sure. Like @MisterPi already said, most enemies explode in a bunch of orange or blue. It's more flashy and cartoony than realistic and gory.

Octane

Octane

@link3710 Last year's E3 trailer had a 30 second compilation of combat clips. It gives a good impression of what the game is like in terms of gore:

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic