Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,461 to 8,480 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Hmm, I don't know to me R&C is pretty innocent. It's the standard fare of what pretty much all kids cartoons were when I was a kid. I mean it has a disco-ball grenade and a Sheepinator gun Space aliens and space ray guns are meat & potatos for kids entertainment. At least here. That's the beauty of it with the deep shooter gameplay but without the shooter "seriousness". Not unlike Splatoon in that regard.

FFX doesn't seem particularly less violent....those are some mighty big swords, and the summons are terrifying Technically there are more "disturbing" scenes (to me) in FFX than in R&C (where the big bad is a caricature corporate CEO and mad scientist) versus that.....thing....Seymour summons

But yeah, that's a nice collection I love the console layout too!

How are Yonder and WoFF? I was going to get WoFF on Vita but skipped out with my Switch backlog. I almost got Yonder on a PSN sale a few months ago, but I just couldn't tell what it was like to justify it.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Yeah, it's always a shame when you buy a game and it ends up for sale (or worse, for free). But I can find copies for less than €20, so it's tempting. R&C, and the two Tomb Raider games for about €60, and I still have a €20 gift card left. Three games for the price of one. But God of War is on the horizon, so I think I'll wait another month or so.

Octane

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
I will Double Dip for Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles Switch version, so i will not play my PS4 version since my loyalty is really Huge toward Nintendo.
I had tried for first time the PS4 version, it was a Fusion of Animal Crossing with Zelda Breath of the Wild vibe, WITHOUT Violence, because Yonder is Not a Violence or Combat games. It was like Animal Crossing / Stardew Valley meet Zelda Breath of the Wild vibe, even your character can gliding with their Parasol, just like Link using his Glider. That's why i chose that game. Games WITHOUT Violences. I recommend that titles for you.

For World of Final Fantasy, actually.... it was not really satisfying as my expectation.
If i have to describe about that game, from my opinion, as from my experience about Tetsuya Nomura games, i felt the SAME vibes from Kingdom Hearts but With some FF XIII Linearity. It was Not really interesting as i noticed from Tetsuya Nomura habits when he made their characters development. As i know from him, he tends to create Characters who always Mysterious and Know everything with Mysterious purposes (Organization XIII, Erna Kros) And the Main characters, usually portrayed as Victim of Naiveness, Lost their Memories, etc. Kinda typical of Tetsuya Nomura, well... not really interesting actually. I'm bored with those ideas.

And about FF X-2, actually i prefer FF X-2 than X for one reason, Slumber Party time !
FF X-2 was like Girlie Popstar RPG with Charlie's Angel vibes.
The gameplay was quite interesting, not because of their Fancy outfits for every job, nor even the Le Blanc's boobs.
But the story of X-2 was Terrible and Pageant. It was soooo.... FAKE during Yuna's concert at Luca Stadium. Le Blanc disguised as Popstar Yuna, Rikku & Paine was looking for their stolen Sphere, Yuna was disguised as Moggle Mascot, then they got involved into FAKE Battles. Like, OMG, that was sooooo.... Pageant.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Oh, that sounds pretty cool...that's not the vibe the trailer gave me for Yonder at all!

Though Breath of the Wild is pretty violent.... Link's more brutal than Ratchet....spears swords and dropping weights on things....

Thanks for the description of WoFF....something about it although it looked good, kept me away. It sounds like my doubts are true. I know what you mean about Nomura's games and the "mysterious" type all knowing characters. The concept can work, but his characters tend to be less interesting and more "exposition boxes" that could serve the same purpose if it were a mere narrator than a character fitted in. I like mysterious characters if there's something to learn about them...but his are never explained. They're just there, just to deliver story/task information.

Ahh, yeah, X-2...I played it long ago.....the Dressphere kind of annoyed me, level wise, but it's hard not getting roped in at the start....at first I liked it because of the big song and dance opening and completely odd vibe for an FF game after the annoying shift in tone to brooding, angsty characters for the FF series. But the battle/level system didn't really click for me, and I realized what I liked most about the game was Kumi Koda's single, not the game, so I determined I'd just do better with her concert videos. All the fun without the bad leveling system.

Still, while the gameplay paled to X, at least the story wasn't a depressing slog with too-serious characters! Like most FF games after IX....

NEStalgia

-Green-

@Octane Yeah, I think it’ll play fine too. Just don’t really have interest in it.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Ralizah

Dragon Quest XI is really interesting. It feels like an artifact from an alternate universe where JRPG gameplay and design didn't change as home console power grew. It feels like a classic PS1/PS2 era JRPG, with all their unique and archaic trappings, translated into a gorgeous, modern-gen presentation.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Playing the import?

I'm still waiting to hear SOMETHING about the Switch version.....assuming it's coming before the next generation of Nintendo hardware launches.....

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

It's rather ironic that the first announced Switch game is in such a position that it may not even come to Switch.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Nah, but I've watched a lot of footage at this point. It really is DQVIII+. I didn't think they were willing to make full console experiences this traditional anymore. I mean, even Persona 5 makes some concessions to modern game design, but DQXI is a full on retro JRPG with a ton of money poured into the presentation.

Granted, there are some optional changes to make it seem less archaic when it comes to the West, but still, it's really interesting. Not sure if I'll have the time for it this year, though: SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Y's VIII, Octopath Traveler, and Dragon Quest XI all in the same five month period is a brutal JRPG blitz.

Considering I'm currently juggling Etrian Odyssey V and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I have to question how many more JRPGs I can play in one year before I just get burned out on the genre for a while.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Dragon Quest XI is really interesting. It feels like an artifact from an alternate universe where JRPG gameplay and design didn't change as home console power grew. It feels like a classic PS1/PS2 era JRPG, with all their unique and archaic trappings, translated into a gorgeous, modern-gen presentation.

Good! There was never any real reason to change that formula. It works incredibly well.

It annoys me when people change stuff just for the sake of it but it doesn't really improve anything. JRPGs really haven't improved since the PS1 era. They're just different now.

It would be far better if people stuck with a formula once it works and tried their new ideas in separate games instead. As much as I like FF10, FF13 and FF15, none of those were really necessary. FF9 nailed the JRPG formula and they should've stuck with that setup.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

I am glad Dragon Quest XI is staying true to its old fashioned roots. It if works, and works well it does, then there is no need to change the fundamental core of the series. It is loved for what it is.

Anyhoo, God of War is receiving lots of 10s and 9s as we speak, with a handful of reviews uttering the phrase ‘Game of the Generation’.

I reaaalllyyy cannot wait!

p.s. Try to avoid spoilers as the story is supposed to be a cracker too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

redd214 wrote:

God of War sitting at 94 on metacritic.com with over 50 reviews! I was expecting a great game but to see so many 10s is crazy!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/god-of-war

Yup! And a 96 on OpenCritic based on 42 reviews!

The last few paragraphs (no spoilers) of PushSquare's review make me want to play the game even more. I've wondered how they're going to handle the optional areas, side quests and optional boss fights in a mostly linear single player game, but apparently it's more of a Metroidvania in structure. And all of this in a game that will take at least 40 hours to complete. Sign me up! I'm even more excited for next week right now!

PushSquare wrote:

Perhaps the most impressive thing is that the game starts like a rocket, and rarely takes time to breathe. There are a handful of very minor lulls, and the odd climbing sequence may grate in subsequent playthroughs, but for the most part it’s meticulously paced. The title does a brilliant job of constantly introducing new mechanics, meaning there’s always something new to play with before you’re ushered along to the next big thing.

And this will extract the completionist in you, as areas are revisited in Metroidvania fashion, opening up new pathways and secrets that couldn’t be accessed before. It’s a wonderfully designed game that never feels like it’s short on ideas, and its core story has more than enough surprises to keep you engaged throughout its substantial running-time. With multiple difficulty tiers and a hearty helping of side-content too, this is as fulfilling as single player releases come.

God of War is a special game. This reimagining of the famous PlayStation franchise elevates the series in unexpected ways, without forgetting the core tenets that made Kratos a fan-favourite to begin with. This is a sprawling single player epic with an abundance of secrets and a storyline that keeps you hooked from start-to-finish. While it borrows liberally from other action adventure greats, its unique combat and outstanding artistic direction separate it from its immediate peers. A truly impressive achievement.

Octane

redd214

@Octane never knew about opencritic.com before, thank you! 😊

redd214

Dezzy

redd214 wrote:

@Octane never knew about opencritic.com before, thank you! 😊

Opencritic are great. Way better than metacritic. They use a standard mean for their scores. Metacritic use a weight average and don't tell us what the weighting is, meaning they could just change it constantly and not tell us (e.g if a game naturally got 89.4, they might secretly allow a developer to pay to bump it up to 89.5 which rounds up to 90). Metacritic are also the same company as Gamespot and Giantbomb. Clearly some dodgy conflicts of interest there.
They also allow you to tailor which sites contribute to your personal average. So if some sites are routinely awful you can just remove them from your personal list.
Oh and they're not owned by one of the 5 big media conglomerates that control most of what you think. So that's good.

(I don't work for opencritic)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah In a way I think that's partly because DQ has always been more modern and accessible as an RPG since day 1....that's always been what made it great, back in the days of clunky old FF and SMT with all their idiosyncrasies, DQ played much more like what we'd consider "modern." So in the modern age there's just less to change to make it "modern" that wasn't already that way. It's always kept it simple and logical rather than getting lost in its seas of archaic overly complicated mechanisms and crafting systems. And simple never goes out of style.

Persona, and/or SMT by contrast is almost archaic by design at this point....so Persona probably needed some concessions....the crafting in that whole franchise is a little ridiculous, at minimum. I love it to pieces, of course, but it's kind of the mirror inversion of everything DQ.

Heck I'm still stuck on DQ Builders.....not a Minecraft fan per se but DQB addictive and I haven't had much gaming time lately. And it's put me in a DQ mindset.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Well, the thing with Dragon Quest is that it's an incredibly conservative series that rarely tries anything new, so people don't want or expect innovation from it. As long as these games keep selling well, they'll stay "JRPG 101" in terms of design. But that produces an interesting effect when contrasted with the game's very modern and expensive-looking presentation.

link3710

@Octane You just hit my weakness.... a giant metroidvania? Maybe I'll have to get this game after all.

link3710

Octane

@link3710 Yeah, I thought it was going to be a straight forward linear game, with optional ''side chapters'', but apparently the game doesn't lock you out of areas, so you can go back at any time.

The combat and Norse mythology were two reasons for me to get it. Knowing that it's structured like a Metroidvania, well, I already pre-ordered it earlier today, so I can't say it sold me on it, but it did do so anyway!

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah No need to try new when it's still one of the kings Though I have a suspicion that the SNES/PS1 styled 3DS version is really the main version in the Japan market, another reason to keep the good old gameplay. Is it odd that I don't find the old gameplay to be a clash with modern graphics? Is it odd that TMS#FE remains one of my top 3 RPGs?

@octane Never expected a Metroidvania element. I'm not a GoW fan so I've been just side eyeing this one, but maybe (on the inevitable PSN sale or freebie giveaway?) I'll give it a go.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic