Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 16,083

ultrakatie64

Supermarioman wrote:

So umm... yeah anyone else getting that launch failure anxiety about now? http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-s...
I don't know a whole lot of details and I know a couple of people who have had trouble have had their issues resolved, but it wasn't until today it dawned on me the reality that of any next-generation console PS4 is most likely to have hardware trouble. Nintendo has long understood how to make quality products and using less means less heat output and Microsoft learned their lesson with 360 and just made the Xbox One huge with a crap ton of fans and it seems to me would have learned from experience. PS4 on the other hand is attempting to be compact and isn't using a power brick so I'm at least a little scared about the potential for hardware failure more so than I ever previously was. Probably just pre-console jitters, but it's still something that is concerns me.

We have to all remember that these are complicated electronic devices and are guaranteed to fail. Nothing is perfect and things don't always go our way. I had my Wii U go out on me in the middle of New Super Luigi U. Thank goodness for the second screen. I called Nintendo technical support and while I was on the phone with them, the system went back to normal.

No one in this community can expect that things will work perfectly day one. Severs will act up, HDMI ports will not cooperate, some games will be 720P and some will be 1080P, etc. It's just life. Fortunately these are all luxury items and not items of necessity. If a life support machine starts acting up at a hospital, or a smoke detector doesn't work when there's a fire, then that's a problem. If a Playstation acts up right out of the box, then that's just a mild inconvenience.

If Sony wants to play the "What warranty?" game, then we have a legitimate reason to be angry. But, it sounds like all the people affected by this are getting replacement units and an apology.

There's no reason to be nervous. If it works, great! Have fun. If not, then you have to wait a few more days. We've waited all this time. What's a few more days? And I'm right there with you guys. My Playstation is paid off and shipping soon from Amazon. With all the 3DS and Virtual Console games I have, I won't be bored at all waiting for a replacement.

"Whatever you do, don't blink."

Steam ID: sailorkatiev
FC 0490-5351-9441

Gamer83

Supermarioman wrote:

So umm... yeah anyone else getting that launch failure anxiety about now? http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-s...
I don't know a whole lot of details and I know a couple of people who have had trouble have had their issues resolved, but it wasn't until today it dawned on me the reality that of any next-generation console PS4 is most likely to have hardware trouble. Nintendo has long understood how to make quality products and using less means less heat output and Microsoft learned their lesson with 360 and just made the Xbox One huge with a crap ton of fans and it seems to me would have learned from experience. PS4 on the other hand is attempting to be compact and isn't using a power brick so I'm at least a little scared about the potential for hardware failure more so than I ever previously was. Probably just pre-console jitters, but it's still something that is concerns me.

I've owned a PS2, 3, PSP and Vita and all have been beasts so I'm not too worried but these are electronics so I'd be lying if I said there isn't a little bit of concern in the back of my mind. I'm sure I'll be getting the store warranty tomorrow when I pick up my system just to be on the safe side.

By the way, amidst some of the bad news and the above average but not great reviews for my most-anticipated PS4 launch game Killzone, I'll add some good news. It seems AC IV (which was no. 2 on my list of most anticipated games for any system this fall) is reviewing very well for the PS4 with an 82 metacritic score and the best part it's 'only' a 20GB install.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Gamer83

Blastoise-san wrote:

I am surprised you guys aren't talking about how PS4's Knack is getting slammed by so many reviewers (check out IGN and Rev3Games). The only average score I've seen it get was from GameInformer (8.00 then got pushed to a 8.25 strangely). Everyone else is trashing this game. Killzone: Shadowfall is being called a generic shooter with just pretty graphics and the occasional interesting element (look at IGN and Rev3Games). Adam Sessler didn't exactly sound impressed by Killzone: Shadowfall at all.
Now why am I bringing this up?
We all are looking forward to the PS4 so thats why I brought it up. I REALLY WISH THAT INFAMOUS: SECOND SON was a launch title. That game look insanly good. It also sucks that Watch Dogs got delayed. I would've love to play that game on PS4's launch day at a friends house.

Knack never looked good, and I think all except the most hardcore of the hardcore PlayStation fanboys/girls would admit that. I like Japan Studio, I think it can do great things for PS4, but Knack was a poorly conceived idea. As for Killzone, the reviews have been, sadly, about what I've expected. I actually thoguht reading Colin's review and watching the video along with it that he was going to give it a 9 instead of an 8 but that is still a nice score and I trust his reviews above most others. He's brutally honest eventhough he's a big Sony fan and I usually agree with his reviews. The guy from Polygon who gave it a 5 seemed ready to hate no matter what and on the opposite end, Destructoid, which is usually insanely hard on games gave it a 9 so I really don't know what to think. I do know I've liked each game in the series a lot and the only one that got near universal praise is 2 so my anticipation still remains high.

inFamous looks like it will be the first real 'must have' though, I agree. I think it's better to wait until after launch though, can't fire all the bullets at once. Assuming it stays on track for Feb./March, it gives Sucker Punch a little longer to polish it and it's the perfect game to release as that post-launch, post-holiday season drought is about to set in. It'll ensure early adopters have something to keep their attention.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

WebHead

Broken PS4s news is not good. I understand systems at launch tend to have a bug or two, but the system should not be breaking like that imo. If this occurs regularly, then I will not be purchasing a PS4 for at least 8 months.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Ryno

Now this will be tempting...
Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

shingi_70

@Gamer83

I dunno I think Knack is Average at best but he videos I've seen make it look more fun, The Giantbomb quicklook does a good job. Still much below the standards of the team who put out Gravity Daze, Puppeteer, and Rain. I wouldn't call it a poorly conceived idea its just that doing a Mascot Platformer not named Mario is pretty hard these days and doing one in the vein of a PS1 game instead of the more open PS2 varient was a hard sale. I think if it had been a PSN title Knack would have gotten a bit more praise.

All of the live streamed I've seen on gaming sites the press seem to like it more than reviews say. I mean most of the reviews complain about the game being too hard among other things, The worst thing the game suffers from is that it looks like the dreamworks of Platformer game. its a very 6-6.5 game. But than again I have alots of Playstation 1 Nostaglia as Crash and Spyro were my first console games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Ryno

From that video, Knack looks pretty fun to play though I'm not a fan of the character design.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

UTXGamer

Reasonable to expect some issues at launch. This is the first time these companies will have real data from systems "in the wild." There are bound to be issues that flare up.

There are also bound to be issues with the units themselves. We are talking about millions of mass produced units.

Remember for the first few months how many Wii U owners were complaining of bricked consoles? And Nintendo typically makes great hardware. The more advanced and complex the technology, the more chance of error/failure.

It does sound like Sony is on top of it for customer service though. Every story about a bricked console comes with a story that the customer service was great, apologetic and would get a new unit to them as quickly as possible.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/AgentCarmichael

Nintendo Network ID: AgentCarmichael

WebHead

UTXGamer wrote:

Reasonable to expect some issues at launch. This is the first time these companies will have real data from systems "in the wild." There are bound to be issues that flare up.

There are also bound to be issues with the units themselves. We are talking about millions of mass produced units.

Remember for the first few months how many Wii U owners were complaining of bricked consoles? And Nintendo typically makes great hardware. The more advanced and complex the technology, the more chance of error/failure.

It does sound like Sony is on top of it for customer service though. Every story about a bricked console comes with a story that the customer service was great, apologetic and would get a new unit to them as quickly as possible.

I thought Wii Us only bricked because people shut them off during the system update.

WebHead

Ryno

WebHead wrote:

UTXGamer wrote:

I thought Wii Us only bricked because people shut them off during the system update.

No, no you guys are confused. The complaints of Wii U's being "bricked" was actually do to the fact that it had no gamez. I kid by the way.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

UTXGamer

WebHead wrote:

UTXGamer wrote:

I think that was one problem during launch but I remember posts on other forums in the post-launch months about bricked consoles. Definitely far fewer than during the initial launch.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/AgentCarmichael

Nintendo Network ID: AgentCarmichael

Blast

Knack looks like a cross between God of War, a wananbe Pixar movie, and Sonic's gameplay when he becomes the Werehog. Its not getting trashed because of the difficulty like Wonderful 101. Its getting trashed because of APPARENTLY (WHAT MOST REVIEWERS CAN AGREE UPON) bland characters, bad story and poor execution of gameplay at times. Apparently there is a very stale multiplayer mode with Time Attack.

Adam Sessler is smart. He didn't review COD:Ghosts because he would've gave the game an incredibly low score, He knew his low score for that game would cause turmoil so he let another reviewer in his team do it. He didn't review Beyond: Two Souls because he doesn't quite like David Cage's writing style. Someone else on his team, Tara Long, had wayyy more antcipation for that game than he did so she reviewed the game. He talked about how Killzone: Shadowfall can't overcome the generic syndrome that most shooters face. He talked about how the multiplayer loses suspense and eventually becomes stale.

Adam Sessler also talked about how there isn't any launch games for PS4/Xbox One that are extraordinary or amazing. Both companies are playing it safe for both launch lineups and he advised people to wait and watch what happens instead of buy a new console. But he also talked about how there are some people who can't wait to have the new toy so they are gonna get it anyway.

His view on the Wii U is very interesting, too.

I think Adam Sessler is awesome and really smart... but thats just my opinion.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CanisWolfred

Blastoise-san wrote:

He talked about how Killzone: Shadowfall can't overcome the generic syndrome that most shooters face.

That line sounds more like someone who is burnt out on shooters than anything else. Not that I don't understand, I'd be burnt out too if I had to play the volume reviewers do. Heck, I've been tired of them for 2 whole years just from what I've played. But still, I'd recommend taking that with a mountain of salt, so long as you still care about shooters.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Blastoise-san wrote:

Knack looks like a cross between God of War, a wananbe Pixar movie, and Sonic's gameplay when he becomes the Werehog. Its not getting trashed because of the difficulty like Wonderful 101. Its getting trashed because of APPARENTLY (WHAT MOST REVIEWERS CAN AGREE UPON) bland characters, bad story and poor execution of gameplay at times. Apparently there is a very stale multiplayer mode with Time Attack.

Adam Sessler is smart. He didn't review COD:Ghosts because he would've gave the game an incredibly low score, He knew his low score for that game would cause turmoil so he let another reviewer in his team do it. He didn't review Beyond: Two Souls because he doesn't quite like David Cage's writing style. Someone else on his team, Tara Long, had wayyy more antcipation for that game than he did so she reviewed the game. He talked about how Killzone: Shadowfall can't overcome the generic syndrome that most shooters face. He talked about how the multiplayer loses suspense and eventually becomes stale.

Adam Sessler also talked about how there isn't any launch games for PS4/Xbox One that are extraordinary or amazing. Both companies are playing it safe for both launch lineups and he advised people to wait and watch what happens instead of buy a new console. But he also talked about how there are some people who can't wait to have the new toy so they are gonna get it anyway.

His view on the Wii U is very interesting, too.

I think Adam Sessler is awesome and really smart... but thats just my opinion.

It seems your just parroting reviews as fact. Like I said before the quick looks and livestreams have people playing it saying compltetly different things than those reviews. Even in the livestreams guys were saying the game is hard and precise. I will agree that Knack is an age appropriate God of War spliced with some PS1 platformers. The game is bland as hell on a artstyle level, with Giant Knack looking stupid. (I like medium and Tiny Knack myself).

I feel that I give the art style alot less criticism than I should because it reminds of the 09 Astro Boy film; and I kind of understand where they were trying to go with the Art Style in which they were going for how the modern dreamworks films look.
Untitled

It's a bit sad when Sony's recent Japan studios games and the other Action Platformers really great.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

WebHead

I think the focus genre for PS4 and XBO will be open world games. We're getting AC4: BF, Watch Dogs, Infamous, DR3, etc. So I think this gen open world games will be in the spot where shooters were with the PS360.

WebHead

Jazzer94

I'm waiting 6 months to a year before I purchase a PS4, I think it will take awhile before games I really want start arriving (Infamous Second Son being a exception that game looks nuts).

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

shingi_70

WebHead wrote:

I think the focus genre for PS4 and XBO will be open world games. We're getting AC4: BF, Watch Dogs, Infamous, DR3, etc. So I think this gen open world games will be in the spot where shooters were with the PS360.

Maybe. I think just due to the easy to develop for the systems were going to see a ood amount from each genre. Plus Open World isn't really a genre, but more of a mechanic these days.

WAT!

CanisWolfred

Jazzer94 wrote:

I'm waiting 6 months to a year before I purchase a PS4, I think it will take awhile before games I really want start arriving (Infamous Second Son being a exception that game looks nuts).

I'm trying to wait until Final Fantasy XV comes out, personally. In the meantime, I might improve my PC so I can play some Mech games.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

10000mario

I would be saving to get a ps4 right now if it weren't for the lack of E and E-10 rated games. I mean, the console looks great, the UI looks great, and the price isn't bad, it just doesn't have the games if like to play.

10000mario

RR529

Lol, South Park is taking the "Console War" all to literally, lol.

Last night's new episode saw Cartman & Craig building up armies (Game of Thrones style) to battle it out on Black Friday, to get inside the mall first for their 80% off promotion.

Cartman had like 90% of the school kids siding with Xbox One as the better choice, but Sony heard that they're losing favor, so they launched the "Brack Friday Bunduru" (remember, this IS South Park) to turn the tide.

They might both lose out though, to the legion of parents building up to buy the new Elmo toy.

We'll have to wait until next week to see how it ends.

Fun fact, the characters are all wearing the medieval gear they'll be wearing in that upcoming game.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic