Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 8,061 to 8,080 of 10,232

RancidVomit86

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-ps4-hac...

Sounds like Sony could had made the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS2 but chose not to so they could charge for the games on PS store.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Octane

@RancidVomit86 Did you even read the article?

The PS4 can't be BC with the PS2, because they don't even share the same architecture. Popping a PS2 disc in a PS4 won't do anything. What's happening is that hackers managed to reverse engineer the software that runs the PS2 Classics on PS4, and by dumping their own ROMs onto the system, they can make more PS2 playable on the PS4 (note: the article also mentions that not all of the games run very well using this method).

Octane

PikPi

Yeahh, I figured that's why PS2 classics weren't more plentiful. I always assume that they take a fair bit of work to run properly. Similar to how a hacked 3DS can't really run backup DS games consistently for all games.

PikPi

Dezzy

Looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm still getting Last of Us vibes from it.

I'll probably wait and see how it reviews. Looks like it could be anywhere from 7/10 - 9.5/10 type quality.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

RancidVomit86

@Octane You're missing the point. The PS2 games on PS4 run off of emulation. So, Sony could had easily taken the Xbox route and gave us bc for free.

On God of War, this video sums up my thoughts.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Octane

@RancidVomit86 ''However, others do not fare so well, and with no specific tuning, graphical gitches or other artefacts may intrude.''

It's not backwards compatible if you have to emulate or port the software. Don't know what Xbox is doing, but I do know that every game requires a lot of testing and fine tuning. It takes resources. And last time I checked, not all games are available yet. If Sony just dumped a bunch of ROM files on their store, people would complain that half of the games don't even run properly, and rightfully so.

Whilst I agree that the VC-style drip-feed release trickle of their PS2 Classics is awful, I don't think you can expect them to make those games available for free.

Octane

RancidVomit86

@Octane Xbox is doing it through emulation as well.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

Knuckles-Fajita

@Octane You played Jak X on PS4?

Frame issues. Not just lowerFPS thsn the OG, but bad pacing too. Visible jumping, frequently.

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

CanisWolfred

@RancidVomit86 Hah, "God of Bore"...

I will say that I'm conflicted. On the one hand, my biggest problem with God War was always its protagonist. He'd make a great villain in any other game, but I just can't get behind him as the character I'm supposed to play as. Combine that with simpler action mechanics, and I usually found that God War didn't have much charm or replay value to it compared to others of its kind.

...But after watching that, I'm reminded that there's barely anything else out there these days. Just Platinum's games, Nioh, and whatever Ninja Theory spews out of its gaping orifaces...I actually wanted to play God of War after seeing that. It looked fun. I almost forgot what that felt like...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Ralizah

The Last of KratUs.

Naughty Dog of War.

etc.

The game... I mean, obviously I can't say it looks terrible. Look how much money has been thrown at it. What I can say is that it looks ENTIRELY unappealing. Not even kinda-sorta unappealing in that "I'd play it if I found it for cheap or got it free" sort of way. It doesn't even look like something I'd want to try.

I mean, I always thought that GoW games were overly brutal and puerile with their perpetually angry protagonist, but... that was better than whatever this is supposed to be.

@Octane I'm up to 103 puzzles completed. It's... interesting. Spent most of my time with it today messing around with tetromino puzzles. Honestly, I've spent more time copying the puzzles on paper and solving them there than actually figuring them out in game. One thing I like about it is how wonderfully fast it boots up. I double-click the icon, tell it to start... and ten seconds later, I'm in.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Dezzy

Yeah Mr Vomit has a point. They could do the PS2 program in the same way Microsoft are doing Xbox 360 games.
They'd have to do it game-by-game but then once they release a patch, you could just put the original ps2 game into the console and it'd play. The PS4 can read regular DVDs, which is what the PS2 games are.
Obviously Microsoft are doing this to cover for their lacklustre first party lineup though. That's why they're doing it for free I'm guessing.
That's kinda working actually. I'm gonna get an Xbone at some point, at least in part because I never had an Xbox 360 or an Xbox so the backwards compatibility would really make it good value for money (they're dirt cheap to buy used already)

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Ralizah Have you done any of the lasers already?

@Dezzy You're right, they're about €100/€120 used, even the S isn't a lot more. But you can get a new one for less than €200 as well, and its price will drop even further this year's holiday season. Now, if I could find a game or two to play on it... There's Sunset Overdrive, but that's all I can think of unfortunately.

As for God of War, the new art style looks a bit more appealing to me, and I couldn't stand the old Kratos look. He's... fine now. I think Sony wanted Santa Monica to do another IP, or try something new after the last one, but they convinced them to do at least one more in the GOW franchise, and this is the result. We'll see how much the cut-scenes there are in the game, trailers are often heavy on the cut-scenes, but the game is supposedly 25-35 hours long, so it could go either way.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Up to 131 puzzles now. But no lasers yet. I've also stumbled across a puzzle that seems impossible atm. Not because of some difficult logic, but because it has a big metal bar across the middle preventing me from moving my lines as freely as possible. So I left it.

While I admire the way the game teaches you rules without explicitly tutorializing, I sometimes feel like not every rule is established well enough for the game's logic to jump in difficulty like it occasionally does. The puzzles are a lot of fun when you know all the rules, or when it feels like the rules are introduced gradually enough, but sometimes it twists the logic of a puzzle sequence before it has fully explained a crucial aspect of the design, leading to frustration.

But I'd still say the game does a mostly admirable job of teaching the player by exposing them to, and making them engage with, a gradation of increasingly complex examples of its logic languages.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Interesting! By your puzzle count and the fact that you haven't encountered any lasers yet, I assume you're roaming the island BOTW style solving puzzles all over the place.

I think the game wants you to mess around with the tutorial panels, and try out different combinations to see what's possible. Then it throws a difficult puzzle at you that can only be solved if you fully understood the rules.

I don't recall any puzzle that can't be solved because of a physical obstruction. Try solving it from a different angle perhaps?

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I free-roamed the island during my first day of play. Encountered a lot of puzzle types, and spent a lot of time in a treetop area until I got to puzzles that were frustrating me. The next two I spent completing everything in the Tetrisy area with the gates and flooded rooms (which was strangely anti-climactic: I'm pretty sure I completed all of the puzzles, including the one with a gigantic grid and dozens of tetris shapes in the last unlockable room, but after beating it... nothing changed. Whereas, in previous rooms, I unlocked something somewhere else in the area.).

Right, I just think certain rules aren't... established enough by some tutorial panels. Not a huge deal. I muddled through with enough experimentation.

At the moment, I'm exploring some facility where I have to separate different colored shapes into their own discrete areas (never figured Blow for a racial separatist, but there you go ).

It's a clever game. And the fact that it's so easy to log in and out of, combined with the fact that a lot of the puzzles seem to be solvable "out of game," means I can keep playing it throughout the year.

If I come across the puzzle again, I'll snap a screenshot and share it. It just doesn't seem possible to complete as is.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Dezzy

@Octane

Most of their exclusives seem pretty good to me. Gears of War, Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Cuphead, Forza, Ori and Blind Forest, Quantum Break, etc etc.

They're just fairly clearly inferior to Playstation and Nintendo's exclusives.

Octane

@Ralizah I can safely say that there's more to the tetris swamp area!

If you're talking about the greenhouse with the coloured lights, I loved that area, it was very clever.

@Dezzy Not into shooters and racing sims, and I can play Cuphead and Ori on my PC if I wanted to. Sunset Overdrive is the only one that's left.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I'm pretty sure I completed everything in the purple section of tetris swamp, but I'll go back to the red section and see if I missed anything.

Yeah, that sounds right. I'm not as big on the color puzzles so far, but perhaps they evolve into something interesting.

Ralizah

CanisWolfred

Oh, before I forget: EA's Anthem might be delayed to 2019...to the surprise of no one, I'm sure. The 2018 date was "Never realistic," apparently, and it's a big, complex game with a lot of moving parts. Still, the bigger question is, "will it launch with a ton of game-breaking bugs and balance-swinging microtransactions?" Oh, and "will they rip out important sections of the game so they can sell it later as DLC, because Destiny did it (and clearly no one got angry at Bungie for anything with that game, am I right?)?"

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic