Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,961 to 7,980 of 16,083

Tasuki

@CanisWolfred Right, I know how fads can be and completely agree with you. I mean I can see where the studio is coming from. For one thing it's hard to establish Paragon in an already flooded market that is the MOBA market. You have so many other MOBAs like DotA and LoL not to mention Smite and Blizzards Heroes of the Storm that honestly the company probably felt that it was a losing battle to stand out from the others. Where as Fortnite at this time only has one real competitor, PUBG and thats really only on PC and Xbox. PS4 there is no competition and if they are looking into a Switch version...

Also if what I read was correct, Paragon saw a huge drop in player base once Fortnite Battle Royal came out.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

CanisWolfred

@Tasuki Eh, it's not that Fortnite took player's attention away so much as it took developer time away. The game had issues as far as retaining new players...I think I've lamented the lack of decent tutorials on here already, and after listening to more feedback from the community, I don't think Epic was at their wits end about this. The point was to make it a more accessible and distiguished entry into the genre, yet that didn't seem to be enough to keep players coming back, and some have even argued that their attempts to make it more appealing from a base gameplay standpoint lead to too many changes that divided the community.

Simply put....I think I personally underestimated how difficult a situation this was for a lot of players. I never had trouble with queue times. Like, ever. Usually in a match in less than 90 seconds. I've had longer waits when I was playing Smite. I always had people to play with...I guess that wasn't good enough, and the people who were actually good at, and dedicated to, the game were an increasingly small figure.

So, sure, they cut their loses. I get it...it still really hurts, though. There was still so much potential, so much fun still to be had...I just wish it didn't have to end this way...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@Octane Well, I get why you kept mentioning lasers now. And I'm pretty sure I understand the general structure of the game.

It's no so much an open world as an interconnected network of different areas, like in Dark Souls. Each area has a series of puzzles that grow in complexity until you activate a laser that shoots a beam of light at the same large structure that will presumably be explorable in the endgame. To activate the endgame, you activate all of the lasers in the different areas. Gotta tell you, I'm getting major divine beast flashbacks from all this.

So far, I've cleared the treehouse (which was clever with its branching routes based on alternate puzzle solutions), the greenhouse (which was annoying, because it took me ages to figure out why I couldn't beat that second group of puzzles...), and the swamp (went back to activate the laser, which I had somehow missed. I'm now at the last puzzle in the keep (which I can tell has a trick to it, based on its positioning, so once I figure out how to properly "read" that it shouldn't be too hard).

At 171 puzzles now. I'm probably going to take a break from it.

BTW, why are there piles of tires everywhere? I feel like I'm wandering around the world's most elaborate trailer park.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah The greenhouse had me stumped as well, but I looked through the coloured glass and I saw how it changed the colours of the flowers, that's when I understood what they were going for. The lift, while very easy in hindsight, was pretty fun to figure out as well.

I think you'll figure it out eventually

Octane

-Green-

Finished Bloodborne and its DLC entirely. Very much a Souls game. Even with the whole cycle stuff that goes on in it. The story is there and the lore is as vague as ever but it was interesting to finish.

Ripostes/Viscerals completely break the game, just like backstabs and reposting in DS. Loved the game though. Even if my PlayStation sounded like it was dying while playing it.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Dezzy

@-Green-

I'd hardly say they completely break the game. Most bosses are incredibly hard to riposte.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

-Green-

@Dezzy Really? The only bosses who I can’t riposte are the ones who are the massive ones and exceptions like Gehrman. The only one who I find difficult to riposte (who is possible) is Kos. Logarious, Gascoigne, Blood Starved, Gehrman and even Maria are made trivial by understanding how to riposte. I would basically just wait for them to raise their attack and shoot momentarily after and it would work well.

Orphan of Kos is strange. He has more unique frames where he can be riposted which makes beating him with a Bloodtinge build more difficult. The backstab is a bit more difficult but also completely wrecks bosses who normally I wouldn’t use ripostes on.

It’s not bad, but when I finally got a new PS4 controller that actually worked, it made the game significantly easier. It’s a very rewarding system though. High risk, high reward, but does lower the difficulty of a lot of battles.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

PSN seems to be down. Glad I started playing Warframe last night instead of waiting for the morning. That game seems interesting, btw. I was wondering why the tutorial was taking so long to finish until I finally realized it's a full-fledged campaign I was playing. Been a while since I've seen that in a Free game.

Also, I know we're already getting Gundam Breakers 2, but damn...I still want this: https://gematsu.com/2018/01/mobile-suit-gundam-battle-operati...

It just looks so awesome. Been waiting to play a full-on Mech w/ soldiers and land units Gundam game like that for over a decade! I always liked the idea of Mechs being incorperated into a military instead of the entire military replaced with Mechs, like a lot of series tend to focus on. Hell, most of that is One Year War era, since Gundam also forgot that Mobile Suits were just one component of a larger whole after a while...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Yes, that’s one; Manifold Garden.

As for Detroit: Become Human, I can take it or leave at the moment.

It is a strange one though because April, May and June already looks quite busy, especially if Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spider-Man comes out in the latter most month, and I am kind of struggling to think which month would suit Detroit best, in terms of having good exposure and healthy sales.

And yes, we hoping to move into a little rural village in spring. Already got our eye on a few locations!

As for Breath of the Wild, it’s hard to begin that when my Wii U is currently boxed up, all nice and tidy.

@Ralizah I love reading your posts about your time with The Witness. A bit of a shame you couldn’t join myself and Octane when the game first came out, as we were bouncing puzzle hints and solutions off each other from time to time, but at least you have given it a fair old crack.

I intend to replay it one of these days. There’s actually an iOS version of The Witness!

@-Green- Bloodborne remains my favourite game of this generation, and even I agree that the riposte is a little bit overpowered and a little bit too easy to pull off on certain bosses, mostly the more humanoid-ish ones that you have described. Again, it depends on what weapons you use and how you juggle your stats.

If you do not mind me asking, who was the toughest boss for you to vanquish? I actually found Darkbeast Paarl and the Blood-Starved Beast the hardest, mostly because I was still getting used to the comparatively fast pace nature of the combat after coming off the back of both Dark and Demon’s Souls.

I really wish I could erase my memory of the game and play it again with a fresh perspective...

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Thanks!

I don't think I'm going to end up as enamored with it as you and Octane were, but I can't deny the cleverness of the design, or the skill with which Mr. Blow teaches you these puzzle languages (in the more hands-on, experimental puzzles that teach you their grammar bit by bit, at least).

On the other hand, a lot of the puzzles, especially more environmentally-driven ones, are almost entirely epiphanic in nature: small environmental cues collect in your mind until a gestalt of elements is perceived, and the solution to the previously arcane puzzle becomes obvious and plain as day.

It's satisfying when you "get it," but the problem with this sort of design is always that the puzzle creator has to take a risk and assume that your cognition of disparate elements will eventually come together to resemble his. And also, even if the moment of epiphany is fun, the hours of banging your head against a keyboard/controller because you just don't get what the game is trying to tell you isn't terribly fun. At the same time, though, it's a necessary element of this puzzle type. Epiphanies aren't epiphanies if you don't give your brain time to stew.

For me, the tetris puzzles have been the most fun so far, because all the rules are laid out for you plain as day, and you just have to put in the work to figure out how they come together. They also allowed me to engage with the game even when away from it. At slow moments at work, I'd take out my grid sheet and try to puzzle out a possible solution.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Not sure, GOW is coming a month later than I initially expected. So my entire release prediction is out of the window! All I know is that they've said it's coming before July. But that's three big exclusive games in three months.

Octane

NEStalgia

Question for you guys. I had set up PayPal in the PSN store last week, both to buy some things, and in preparation for trying out PSVue (that requires a primary payment method on file, and there's not a flaming chance in heck I'm giving Sony my CC a second time.....last time was bad enough.)

So....I made one purchase and it was fine. Then I went to make another purchase, and I got "an error has occurred." I figured it was a weird thing...so I bought a card from Amazon. Tried again today....still getting "error has occurred" and a "missed transactions $0.00" in my payment history for each attempt to add funds or check out. I tried deleting and re-adding the paypal account several times. No change.

Any of you guys experience anything like this with them....ever? I googled around a bit and found it seems to be a common thing....an also found that CS will generally just BS through it to make you go away, but ultimately that some times that basically means "the account is locked forever and nothing will change that" (which also seems odd.) Just curious...you guys are more inventive than the GameFAQs crowd...wondering if you ever experienced such things.

Seems the PSN store is a greater mess than the worst of scam sites. I'm starting to think XBox may be a good deal after all....

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Never had an issue, but it sounds like contacting their customer service is your best option.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane I was hoping nobody would say such things. Their support sounds like an all around "defer and delay" program (telling people to check back in 72 hours, telling people to check back in a month, telling people their accounts are locked (and then they worked.)

My own experience with other stores with obvious PayPal problems on their end is "merchants have NO idea how PayPal even works, and can't help themselves let alone you." (That store I discovered I had to log into my account and then it worked, but if I didn't it didn't work.)

sigh....XBox and YouTubeTV.....next stop....

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia You could always ask on PushSquare. More PS4 users, and thus a higher chance someone encountered the same problem once.

Octane

NEStalgia

Good point. I'm 100% unfamiliar with the community over there short of the people that cross over here as well, so I feel like I'm barging in!

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia It's a small community, and most are often very helpful. I don't think anyone minds you asking!

Octane

NEStalgia

@crimsontadpoles Hmm, interesting. Mine's been a week or so now, so it's not as simple, but it's good to know it can solve itself at least eventually. Actually I think it successfully charged 2 weeks ago, and then charged again successfully a week ago. And then today...errors.

What's odd is I see in my PSN transaction history a bunch of "missed payment $0.00" errors. On the PayPal side I see like a dozen billing agreements, half of them listed "cancelled" half of them listed "active" from PSN. And a bunch of emails sent to me saying "sony has cancelled a billing agreement with you." So it's almost like every time I click order it creates a new billing agreement and then deletes one.

Sony's been in this business for, what, 13 years.....how do they still not have their online store working right? That's the kind of screwup I'd expect from Nintendo

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic