Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,721 to 7,740 of 16,084

Peek-a-boo

@JaxonH I have the bog standard (black) PS4 Pro which is easy enough to discreetly plonk on the shelf of my oak television unit however, the design of yours is far too nice to tuck away, out of sight!

Seeing as you have so many different games related items, especially from Nintendo, I would love to be able to glance at the rest of your collection. I do like seeing those limited/special edition stuff.

@YummyHappyPills True, but there’s 60+ 4K resolution games available to play on the PS4 Pro, and you can watch films, music videos and TV series in 4K on the likes of Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix and YouTube.

@Ralizah I take that back then! They can drop PlayStation 3 games from PS+, and keep the PS Vita as it is.

Peek-a-boo

JaxonH

I might take some shots later tonight when I'm home.

Probably don't have near as much as you might think, but for getting into gaming for real just 5 years ago, it's a decent bit I guess... amassing the back catalog of DS, GameCube and Wii was tough though, all while keeping up with current 3DS/Vita/PS4/Wii U/X1/360 BC releases, and now Switch.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Wait, you mean you have all those games under your belt more than most people here that have been doing it for 30 years and you've only really been playing for FIVE?!

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
I went ham for those first two years. Sniping near mint copies of the top 50 GameCube and Wii and DS games off eBay every week. Started with a single copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Xenoblade Chronicles. Grew the collection from there.

My PS4/Vita/X1 collection isn't nearly as impressive though. Just your average shelf full of games. Few nice collector pieces though. After MH World and Ni No Kuni 2 Collector Editions, I'm pretty much done though.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Edited on by JaxonH

Peek-a-boo

@JaxonH My eyes widened, bit by bit, as I scrolled down those photos.

This is why I am not overly keen on the digital future. Convenience? Yes. Keeps your house clutter free? Yes. Play Share games with a friend on the PlayStation 4? Yes. Play a multiple choice of games on the go on the Switch? Yes.

And yet the beauty of seeing a games collection in its entirety is gradually becoming a lost art, and to see your obvious love and care for your collection is great. Here’s hoping you shall continue this passion of yours!

I spot two or three SNES classic mini, all the Xenoblade games sitting on one shelving unit (except the PSone version?) as well as a startling number of amiibo’s ... is that every single one released thus far, or several editions of them? It is nice to see a rainbow of colour engulfing the amiibo photo!

Thank you for sharing @JaxonH .

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo PSone Xenoblade? That's a new one

Sure you dont mean Xenogears or Xenosaga, completely seperate franchises owned by BandaiNamco?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Peek-a-boo

@YummyHappyPills Oops! You have corrected me wrong.

Those first four letters, ‘Xeno’, made me think there was life before the Xenoblade series.

Yes, those were the games I was pondering about. I was thinking of Xenosaga, which I believe was the series Monolith Soft did before they jumped ship from primarily developing games for the PlayStation (1 & 2) to Nintendo (Wii, Wii U and Switch) with a few handheld games in between that transition.

As for Xenogears, I am pretty sure that that was a Squaresoft (before they became Square-Enix as they are known today) developed game on the PSone. I recall it being hailed as one of the best RPGs of that era.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Takahashi directed all of those games. First Xenogears when he worked at Square, then the Xenosaga franchise when Monolith published them under Bandai Namco, and now Xenoblade as part of Nintendo.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Huh!

You learn something new everyday. He certainly does consistently delivers the goods.

p.s. On another subject altogether, dare I ask how you’re getting on with Bloodborne?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I haven't had the time to play much beyond the title screen. I'm away for most of the holidays, so I'm afraid I won't have any time until January.

Octane

NEStalgia

@JaxonH BTW, I think I'm finally going to start diving into Skyrim. But as I now have two copies, I can't decide which has the most merit to start into....PSVR, or Switch. You've played at least a little of both....anything to be aware of in decide (beyond the obvious one is portable one is VR difference)?

I'd play both if I could swap my save files, that would be perfect...but since I can't, I'm not sure I want two simultaneous playthroughs going on with two different save files.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
You know what my answer is going to be. I like the Skyrim in VR... but I'm just kind of passed it man. I don't like the Move controllers and it's such a hassle to play and that's a game you would be playing a ton. I think the motion is especially a problem for Skyrim in this game because you hold your shield and sword all the time. I think it's a novel game and I'm so glad I got the chance to experience it but I definitely wouldn't want to sit there for hundreds of hours playing that game in VR.

But if you were to ask my brother I know what he would tell you... he loves the VR.

As for the Switch version, it depends if you play away from the TV. So, I find that extremely useful because I play on the handheld screen all the time. As far as your basic questions of how it looks and runs, I think it's one of the highest quality ports I've seen to date. It genuinely feels like you are playing the PS4 remastered version. Unless you have them side-by-side you're not gonna be able to tell the difference. So yeah it's a quality game and I feel like it's the definitive version.

But if you are all about the VR (and I understand people who are, because my brother is just wrapping up his Occulus VR room with rooms scale), you might enjoy that one more... I think you should own them both, but I understand that can get expensive. VR games drop in price very fast though. I'd say get the Switch version and then later when the price drops grab the VR version as well. If you were like me you're going to get far more enjoyment out of a normal version that you can play anywhere. But I'll leave the caveat that if you are like my brother (and only you can decide if that's you) maybe just get the VR one?

@Peek-a-boo
Yes, every amiibo. I didn't start out with that intention but I got cut so caught up in the hype of that Smash Brothers set that by the time I had completed it I realized I owned like 50+ amiibo and why stop there.

There's only 3 game series I devote an entire shelf or half shelf to... Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, and Xenoblade. I thought about going back into the PS2 era for the displays, and grabbing the original Monster Hunter and Xenosaga trilogy, the problem is I just don't have the space! I wanted to display every console Monster Hunter ever released- MH (PS2), MHTri (Wii), MH3U (Wii U) MHXX (Switch) and MHWorld (PS4), skipping the JP-only releases cause there were so many, except XX cause I actually play that game. And I still might do that actually. But I don't know how I'd have room for those games, or an entire Xenosaga trilogy.

Maybe I'll stick with Collector editions only. MH4U Collector Edition and MH World Collector Edition. Far less space needed for that.

Edited on by JaxonH

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Haha, I actually already own both! I had preordered the Switch one last January as it was a must have, but ended up buying it in the VR bundle because A) It was the big VR Black Friday sale bundle, and B) Skyrim and Doom bundles are currently the ONLY way to get the revision 2.0 headset (passes HDR through the VR processor (not that I have an HDR screen), and reduces to 1 cable from the headset and gets rid of the breakout box, moving volume controls to the headset itself.)

I'm just trying to figure out which one to actually play (or play first) and curious if there's any "gotchas" (or as you said, control issues) with the VR one that make it less playable. I'm into the VR (for now) but yeah it's a hassle to set up. I of course use portability lots, but I already have a backlog on Switch so it's not like the cart slot will be empty. I've played exactly 2 levels of Rabbids!

I have mixed feelings about Move controllers honestly (I have the Aim controller bundled with Farpoint...haven't used it yet, but it looks like what Move should have been if it were made for VR instead of just repackaging spare PS3 Wii-clone accessories as VR accessories.) Big problem for me is games that use wide range of motion (Batman, the desk part of Heist), reloading in Raw Data, I keep running out of camera space and it can't track where the controller needs to be. I almost prefer the DS even though the Move are really cool for some of those games.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

JaxonH wrote:

I don't really like the design of the PS4 Pro. I mean it's not that bad or anything, but it's not great either.

But this... this makes it looks gorgeous.

I now have both special edition Monster Hunter New 3DS XL units- both for MH4U and MH Generations. Now the MH World PS4 Pro... all I'm missing is the MHXX Switch. But I just can't bring myself to spend the money on it. For one, it's kind of ugly. I mean I like the tribal design, but it just seems so low effort. It's not glossy or colored or anything. And the system has no special controllers. Just a symbol on the back of the Switch. Had they made special colored joycons with a design like they did here for the PS4 controller... I would've ordered it along time ago. Maybe one day we'll see a better special edition Switch release for a future game, with special joycons. I'll probably just hold off in hopes of that.

Turns out the plug actually works in US outlets. It uses the same non-polarized dual pin plug the US uses. Japan is 100 volts instead of the 120 volts here, but the power supply unit in the console ranges from 100-240 for all three regions. Which means it will actually work without needing to buy a separate cord. That's cool.

That's quite a collection BTW. I probably have as many (or more) games but a lot less swag! Though I've collected it over DECADES rather than a few years!

The MH PS4 Pro is quite pretty with the silk screening. The controllers kind of disappointing. A bog standard Lava Red with some screen printing on the hand grips? They could have done that better IMO. Heck even using the gold or silver would have been fitting I think.

I like the PS4 Pro design, really. I don't like the "triple stack" look of the front, but the outsides look nice. Anything looks better than the "Eraser" PS4 fat, that put the power/status light on the top where you likely will never see it, with contact switches you can't find when you want to, and tend to hit when you don't want to..... Might be the worst console design other than the top-loading PS3 where any AV cabinet won't let you pop the lid. (I have my old fat and, now, a Pro.)

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo There are a LOT of references to Xenogears/Xenosaga in Xenoblade 2 so far. It's quite cool if you're someone who has been playing these Xeno games across various systems over the years.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@NEStalgia

Ya Idk. Skyrim is kind of hard to play in VR with the Move controllers. You have to do that stupid thing where you use the middle button to run and use your head to point where you want to run to, which generally works OK if you want to move within a 90° angle of your view, but if you want to turn around and move backwards... it starts becoming annoying.

I found I just can't get into any VR games that aren't quick, pick up and play experiences. PSVR World was fantastic. Not too long, built ground up for the system... that's my ideal type of game. Skyrim was more of a square peg forced in a round hole. It's really quite something to be in the world but, there are a number of factors that really break the experience for me. This is a game you want to be truly immersed in because you're going to be playing it for 100 hours or more. The fact the resolution is so low hurts it. If it was being powered by a PS6, with super crisp resolution, and if the Move controllers were more modern with analogs and proper Button design... I think that would go along way into making it an enjoyable experience over the long term. But as of right now, I just put on the visor and played for an hour... and then I'd had enough. I might go back to it sometime but... probably not. I haven't even bothered starting up DOOM VFR. I've kind of lost all excitement. The biggest detractor for me though was the fact that when you use Move controllers, your character is always holding a shield and sword. And the shield can move around so they have to make it translucent for you to see through. It just feels clumsy and when I'm swinging my sword my shield is in the way... Idk. I'm probably not the person to ask because VR simply hasn't grabbed me enough to hold my attention. First three weeks I was blown away, but after that the realities started setting in and I realized it was never going to be more than a novelty for me.

I've got quite a backlog on Switch too. But you're probably going to have more time to play it on a system where it's playable anywhere than on a system you can only play at home with a visor. And Skyrim is a game that you're going to put in a lot of hours. But why don't you just try it for yourself and see what you think? Fire up the game and play for an hour, and judge accordingly. If you can envision yourself sitting there in VR for 100 hours playing the game like that... then that's the way to go.

And ya, I wasn't too hot on the controller, but it looks ok. It's kind of grown on me actually.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Yeah, I might just give it a try. (In some ways it might be cool to play in 2D and then fire it up and be "in" the world like I warped into my own video game. OTOH, just starting in VR could be cool. The one thing going for it is TES worlds are among the few video game worlds I actually want to BE in. Most VG worlds are pretty unpleasant places. Not sure I want to spend hundreds of hours in the visor (my poor eyes) but it's also nice to have a real "proper" sized game rather than a tech demo as well. Looking forward to Moss and such in March, games taht are isometric mostly and only use the 3D the way the 3DS used 3d to enhance the world rather than making it be ONLY about being in the world too. That's an interesting take on VR. I think I've bought most of the retail stack for PSVR at this point (great discounts Black Friday) but so much of it is just tech demos, plus the otherwise cool EVE that's mostly a Pay 2 Win ponzi scheme. Batman was a fun 45 minutes..... World was a fun 2 hours (Scavengers was cool especially, and the Heist was really well done even if it was really more a movie than a game.) But most of the VR meat comes from the online competitive games and Skyrim, for better or worse right now. And Farpoint....Looking forward to that.

I haven't opened Doom VFR either yet. Technically I don't need a gore-fest in VR....but....It's Doom.....

The controller, yeah it's not that it's bad or anything it's just....it doesn't seem very special? And the red color doesn't work for MH to me. It's just some patterning on a vanilla red controller. This is your one and only chance at MH again, Sony, can't you get it right?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@matiasu Based purely on what I've heard from others, Final Fantasy XIV. It's supposedly a really decent online FF experience.

Elder Scrolls online has gotten a... less positive reception.

If I was ever willing to play an MMO, I'd probably go for FFXIV.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic