Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,961 to 6,980 of 16,084

Octane

@KirbyTheVampire I've also heard some people complain that the Uncharted (and TLOU) games have too much variance and can't decide what they want to be; a shooter, puzzle game, platformer, etc. So I also acknowledge that too much isn't a good thing either, it needs to be coherent I think.

@Peek-a-boo Hah! I remember the area from that GIF, I stealth-killed all the baddies, looked way less spectacular haha.

I've currently played around 4 hours or so. According to reviews I'm halfway through the game. But I'm still in the Western Ghats, so I have no idea how much I've left till the ending and how long it's going to take me. I don't have more than one or two hours a day, I don't expect to finish the game anytime soon!

Octane

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Looks like FFXV is getting even more content in 2018, a second season pass featuring 4 DLC packs. This is the kind of thing I want BotW to do once Champions Ballad is out. Both games took forever to be released, don't waste what's been created.

Where does it say a second season pass, I haven't seen that. And 4 DLC packs AFTER the 3 they've already done?
That'd be pretty good. They'll have covered Cor, Aranea and Revis with the first 3 packs. They need further story segments for Luna, Ardyn and Cindy.

A perfect story DLC would be Cindy in the dark world just before Noctis returns.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Square Enix at TGS about 2018 plans.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I didn't see any mention of a season pass with 4 DLC.

KirbyTheVampire

@Peek-a-boo Yeah, it's a real bummer. Scenes like when Joel gets impaled would have had me on the edge of my seat if I didn't already know what was going to happen. I had the same problem with Red Dead Redemption. I suppose that's the price you pay for playing games years after they come out. Stuff like that has really made me hate spoilers in general, so after I watch the initial reveal trailer for a game, I basically avoid anything and everything else about it until I can get my hands on it. Still an interesting story, though.

And yeah, I don't really think the ending was bad at all, I just tend to expect games and movies and such to end on really dramatic notes, so it kind of caught me off guard. I do really enjoy how the ending is kind of a gray area that different people will have different views on, though. After looking through various forums, there was definitely a lot of discussion on whether it was right for Joel to stop the surgery or not. (Personally I would have done the same thing as him), and I'll always applaud developers who can create an ending that isn't so black or white and sparks discussion. Too many games rely on characters either being Hitler or a saint, and don't take the realistic approach where the decisions we make in life are often a mix of both good and evil.

@Octane Yeah, I can agree with that. Games often suffer if they try to be too much of a jack of all trades. I'm not saying they should have made the games a huge blend of different genres, I just think a bit more variance when it comes to things like navigating the environment would have gone a long way.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

@KirbyTheVampire In regards to the ending of TLOU, that's why I loved Firewatch too, and I think @Peek-a-boo can agree with me on that one. Very down to earth and real, but a lot of people expected a dramatic ending and they were disappointed. I loved the ending for what it was, and I'm certain it made more of an impact the way it did than it would've if the ending was done the way a lot of people would've wanted it to be done.

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Octane Yeah, I can agree with that. Games often suffer if they try to be too much of a jack of all trades. I'm not saying they should have made the games a huge blend of different genres, I just think a bit more variance when it comes to things like navigating the environment would have gone a long way.

I think you're going to like chapter 4 of Lost Legacy in that case.

Octane

Dezzy

The ending of TLOU is easily one of the best video game endings ever. I love realistic and believable stories over silly heroic cliches.
Joel just does what I'd have done.

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I wholeheartedly agree in regards to Firewatch.

I love how people were genuinely expecting a supernatural twist of sorts. I know the game has some tiny elements of suggestive ghostly happenings, but come on! And I had even read up some wild theories about aliens and UFOs too.

Firewatch captures that very real human drama, and the ending is exactly how it would play out in real life. Go and watch a film or read a novel that is set in the wilderness if you want a climax devoid of realism.

@Dezzy Untitled

Here’s the new - and slightly underwhelming - trailer for Red Dead Redemption II:

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

What exactly were you expecting? Looks pretty damn good to me.

Octane

Good faces, I'm in!

Octane

CanisWolfred

Oh hey, what a coincidence! I just gave away Red Dead Redemption to a friend, since I finally realized that "Cowboys wandering around a desert" is the most boring idea possible! Good to know they're making more of that, so I can continue to ignore it, whilst knowing for certain that I am missing absolutely nothing!

...Yeah, this is why I don't bother talking about Blockbuster games in this thread anymore, I rarely have anything positive to say about them. Sorry to rain on the parade a bit, I just had to get that out of me. It doesn't help that it was one of several gaming disappointments that I hit in a row:

Heart & Slash is actually the worst procedurally generated action game I've ever played. The controls are slippery, there's no level design to the point where there will be stairs that go absolutely nowhere, the map system is confusing, and there's no real progression system, while also being obnoxiously difficult. Exploring is a bad idea, since it'll put you in more danger, and there are few options to repair yourself other than the occasional heart-dropping enemy and scrapping your own items or items you just found! And there's no inventory system, just equipping or scrapping whatever you stumble upon, so this is just as likely to screw you over as it is to help you! You can't even compare items once you've found them, so there's no telling if a "rocket hammer" is any better than your "Moprning Star", but if you decide to take a chance with it, and it sucks, well now you have neither! TL;DR - it's pointless garbage through and through.

Dead Space 1 & 2 - really more of a revelation than anything else: No amount of fun gameplay can make it worth looking at those hideous necro-morphs. I'm serious, the games themselves aren't even that "scary" - just easily telegraphed jumpscares and atmospheric music that a friend of mine informed me years ago that if I turned it off and put some rock & roll in the backround, suddenly they turn into DOOM-esque slaughter-fests - no scares required. But as weird as it is to say...those creatures make me want to barf, and that alone turns me off of these games. Since there are better over-the-shoulder action games now, I don't need to put up with it, anyways. So I gave those away, too. Hopefully he appreciates it more than I could. Honestly, the DOOM reboot was almost at that point for me, too. I might have to see if anyone's still playing online, because I think I'd get more out of that mode for no reason other than the general lack of gross monsters...

Also gave away Rage for the same reasons, plus I just don't care about it anymore. Once again: a huge desert environment isn't interesting on its own.

And with that comes the most depressing admission for me: Fallout 3, and possibly the rest of the series, just doesn't interest me anymore. It's ugly, boring, monotonous, and any positive ideas an concepts it presented have since been done better. Simply put: I'm over it.

Luckily, it seems like the only other games that I might have second thoughts about over this revelation are the HD Resident Evil games, though we'll have to see. I already know I'm staying as far away as possible from Resident Evil 7, but that was a given since the first trailer...

Oh, and my friend didn't have a PS4 yet, so he wouldn't take Bloodborne off my hands...that's a shame...

Smite - Might've just been 1 MOBA too many, but this got too frustrating too quickly (literally to the point where I destroyed my keyboard and had to buy a new one), and the mission mode is too pushy with its attempts to get you to advertise for them or spend real money. They have a system where completing multiple missions in a row yeild special bonuses, yet every other mission I got ranged from "play 5 games in a party" or "refer a friend" or "unlock a skin" (which cost more than characters, btw). Any amount of good will I had was quickly sucked sucked away under an increasing sense that my arm was being twisted into turning it into either an expensive endeavor, or a social nightmare. Screw that, I'll stick to Paragon.

...Except Paragon had an update recently that caused some major issues, and it hasn't gotten much better so far. It's also delaying the next big update, too. More of a minor quibble, but geez. Guess I'll stick to Paladins.

...Except Paladins also had recent technical issues, except coupled with an increasing sense that the devs don't know how to balance characters to save their life, and indeed, they may be purpoisely making certain characters overpowered or underpowered just so they can sell more Legendary Keys for quick unlocks. It's from the same guys who made Smite, so I wouldn't put it past them...

Overwatch's new map is horrible, so that deflated my mood there, too.

EDIT: - Overwatch, Paladins, and Paragon just updated this morning, so we'll see whether or not I'll eat my words!

Luckily it hasn't been all bad, and I'll go into detail on that later, but this post is horrendouly long enough as it is. Basically: I played a lot of fighting games.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

I think Firewatch is a bad walking simulator because realizing that the developers are incapable or unwilling to model a human face in 3D takes all of the stakes out of the pseudo-suspenseful story and probably even made them alter the plot to avoid having face to face character interaction — kind of an important element in drama.

Anyway, who here has actually finished Persona 5? I finally got to the last boss and finished them off early this week and that game's easily my GOTY so far.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Haru17 Firewatch proved you can do it without faces. Not seeing any other characters face to face helped the game in a way. It was definitely a ''lonely'' experience.

Octane

Haru17

@Octane It felt like the plot was jerked around because of the developer's technical incompetence to me. If I wanted to play an entire game that didn't matter at all because the real conflict is going on outside the play space where you can never interact with it or even spend screentime with it I'd go replay Xenoblade again. Or, I dunno, light a fire only to turn around and microwave smores.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

I think Firewatch is a bad walking simulator because realizing that the developers are incapable or unwilling to model a human face in 3D

The Chinese Room doesn't have a single face in either of their 2 walking simulators either. Unless I missed it.

CanisWolfred

I actually have nothing bad to say about Firewatch. I thought it was a really good movie! I dunno if I'd buy the DVD for it, though. Wait...

...What am I saying? No one buys DVDs anymore.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

@Dezzy I haven't played and of their games, I imagine they'd give me the same complaint.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17 wrote:

I think Firewatch is a bad walking simulator because realizing that the developers are incapable or unwilling to model a human face in 3D takes all of the stakes out of the pseudo-suspenseful story and probably even made them alter the plot to avoid having face to face character interaction — kind of an important element in drama.

Here you go: - http://firewatch.wikia.com/wiki/Henry

Now you can go ahead and enjoy the game knowing exactly what Henry looks like instead of, you know, using your imagination or looking at those drawings and a photo of himself inside the firewatch itself!

Talk about missing the point of the game...

This months PS+ line-up is absolutely superb!

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
  • Amnesia: Collection (PS4)
  • RIGS: Mechanised Combat League (PS Plus Bonus – PSVR Required)
  • That’s You (PS Plus Bonus – PlayLink)
  • Monster Jam Battlegrounds (PS3)
  • Hustle Kings (PS3)
  • Hue (PS Vita & PS4)
  • Sky Force Anniversary (PS Vita & PS4)

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo I'm okay with the player character in a first-person game being faceless, it's all of the other characters that I'd like to see. I'm not worried about being murdered out in the woods if they literally can't animate a horror movie-esque player character mutilation scene. I want to meet Diana, or whatever her name was since she's not memorable since she was just a come hither mp3 file, the main character would have gone to meet her if she wasn't out of sight and out of bounds.

And don't tell me I'm missing the point of Firewatch — Firewatch misses the point of Firewatch! Literally only the beginning text scroll and end of that game have relevance to the central conflict.

Edited on by Haru17

Dezzy

@Haru17

Their games are quite interesting to discuss, and very boring to play.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic