Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,801 to 6,820 of 16,073

Ralizah

@gcunit All that would do is give a green light for developers to not optimize their games for tablet play. I've actually talked with @NaviAndMii about this subject as well, and he took a similar position to yours. It just seems like a really, really bad idea. It would lead to unoptimized ports and confused customers who want to know why they can't play their Playstation Switch (or whatever it would be called) games on the go.

The hybrid concept is relatively untested at this point, so it would be a terrible idea to introduce it and then immediately undercut it with games that still function exactly like home console releases.

Oh, and a hybrid would also lead to confused marketing on Sony's part. Nintendo hasn't played the power game for more than a decade, but Sony's name has been synonymous with powerful console tech this gen. To then introduce a hybrid system that would require devs to optimize for weaker, portable hardware... yeah, ain't happening.

As it stands, the hybrid approach is the only move Nintendo really has at this point if they don't want to abandon home console game development entirely (which still leans very heavily on their dominance in the handheld market), and it would probably be a terrible move for Sony.

This might lead to Sony losing in Japan, but, frankly, Playstation is more of a Western brand at this point anyway.

EDIT: I should mention that I don't think a somewhat expensive accessory whose sole purpose revolves around allowing smooth remote play (inb4: "but isn't that what the PS Vita is? hardy har har!") is out of the question for Sony. I think that's as close as we're getting to any kind of new portable Playstation device from Sony in the near future, though.

EDIT THE SECOND:

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Saying that, I have always admired the fact that new games are still coming out on the PS Vita such as the very recent Undertale, Bad Apple Wars, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Darkest Dungeon, Demon Gaze II, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Papers, Please, Secret of Mana Remake, Shakedown: Hawaii, SteamWorld Dig 2, Windjammers and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana to name but a few.

Not bad for a ‘dead’ system, hey?

It might not get "big" releases, but the PS Vita has received a healthy influx of mostly very niche Japanese games for years now. And, despite it being a failure sales-wise, games on it seem to have a fairly high attach rate thanks to the insane cult following it has, which makes it feasible for devs to keep releasing games for it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

MFD

@Ralizah "Sony's name has been synonymous with powerful console tech this gen" I wonder how miffed they'll be at the Xbox One X taking their prized "Strongest Game Console" title and running with it.

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Thanks to the Pro's price advantage and their strong stable of exclusives, I don't expect XBX to bite too much into Sony's market dominance. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hastening development of the PS5, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

MFD

@Ralizah Yeah, MS does look very weak in that department, with most of their games coming waaaaaaaaay down the line and sharing their "exclusivity" with W10. For the sake of Sony not getting full of themselves, I hope they step it up.

MFD

gcunit

@Ralizah Or, it would lead to more AAA games getting optimized for portability, because of the significant selling point that anywhere, anytime offers.

Sure, it could go either way, but, ultimately developers want/need their games to sell, and if the market shows that anywhere, anytime is what's wanted, the developers would be sensible to accommodate that to the best of their best abilities.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NaviAndMii

Ralizah wrote:

@gcunit All that would do is give a green light for developers to not optimize their games for tablet play. I've actually talked with @NaviAndMii about this subject as well, and he took a similar position to yours. It just seems like a really, really bad idea. It would lead to unoptimized ports and confused customers who want to know why they can't play their Playstation Switch (or whatever it would be called) games on the go.

Yeah I certainly understand where you're coming from - either way, one of us will be able to tell the other 'I told you so' one day!

It does appear (to me, at least - I may very well be reading something in to nothing!) like Nintendo have at least given themselves the option - and it's better to have the option and not use it, than want the option and not have it - so, if they decide to lean towards not going down the Dock expansion/upgrade route, at least the option appears to have been there, which is no bad thing..

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Ralizah

@gcunit I doubt it. Optimizing a game for weaker hardware takes time and money. If they can just dump PS4 ports on a home console version of the Switch, we're going to get a library that's split down the middle with regard to portability. If the Switch sells enough (and interest hasn't really dipped all year), developers will be forced to optimize their games for the platform like they did with the Wii. Give them a lazy out, though, and they'll take it, and we'll all be the worse for it.

@NaviAndMii Indeed. I can see where you're coming from as well. And I wouldn't put it past them to kick around an idea like this, especially given the modular nature of the Switch. Either way, we can both probably agree that it's nice Nintendo is getting enough attention these days that the topic of discussion (hardware expansion for the sake of more demanding AAA third party titles) seems even somewhat feasible!

NaviAndMii

@Ralizah Haha! Yeah, very true If I was the person who came up with the concept for the Switch, I'd go in to work every day and just be like...

Untitled

...legend!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MFD

@Ralizah We'll have another good discussion once the Switch has a decent base (Around 10 mill) and it's still hesitant on the developers side. I've still got those "10 mill, and we'll get more" words from Kimishima stuck in my head, but I'm unwilling to give anything faith at this point. Too much uncertainty.

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Considering how fast it's selling, I could see it hit that mark before the end of the year (this is entirely dependent on Nintendo resolving lingering stock issues, of course).

MFD

@Ralizah I don't think it should be too much trouble, honestly. I'm probably the only person who isn't jumping out of their roof-tops to get Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey.

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@UmniKnight I think the Champions Ballad DLC for BotW will be a higher profile release than Xenoblade 2. This holiday's focus will be Mario Odyssey and new content for existing Switch games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MFD

@Grumblevolcano By the way you say that, it looks quite meagre, but then a lot of people seem really psyched for Mario, and to a lesser extent Xenoblade 2, so it might just be me, I'm not sure anymore, honestly.

MFD

CanisWolfred

UmniKnight wrote:

@CanisWolfred I could potentially give you a hand with HotS, given that your European (Battle.net doesn't do cross-country, silly that Blizzard is)

Actually, I'm an American. And they don't do cross-country to reduce lag. Trust me, I've played cross-country servers before in real-time games, the lag tends to kill it...

But thank you for reminding me that Blizzard's website has some oddities...I haven't logged in for quite a while, so they'll probably lock my account again...except this time I can't just make another one...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@UmniKnight I think the Champions Ballad DLC for BotW will be a higher profile release than Xenoblade 2. This holiday's focus will be Mario Odyssey and new content for existing Switch games.

I dunno about that. Depends on how long they've been working on it. If it was just a 6 month thing, can't be too impressive. But it could've been something they've been working on for over a year, which'd make it pretty cool.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

MFD

@CanisWolfred Ah, well thank you for explaining me WHY they don't do cross country I've been wondering that for a while now.

I duly hope you get to keep your account, I know how much of a hassle it is to juggle with accounts like that, ESPECIALLY with Blizzard these days...

MFD

Haru17

Untitled

"Fallout 4 doesn't look as good as other games. Why doesn't Bethesda make clinical 4K RPGs like all the ones that tried to copy them in 8th gen?"

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

Environment looks good. That doll looks creepy though.

Octane

Haru17

@Octane Oh, like you didn't play games until 8th gen.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Is there anything to this rumour that Bethesda is making a Game of Thrones game.

An elder-scrolls-style game set in Westeros would be incredible.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic