Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,781 to 6,800 of 16,083

MFD

@Peek-a-boo Paladins is in the same vein as Overwatch, but with different characters I guess. It's by the guys that made SMITE, that 3rd person gods fighting each-other moba.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

MFD

@Ralizah I'd almost want them to do it. But then I'm still stuck to Nintendo's hardware due to their IP. Never is easy and clear-cut, is it?

MFD

CanisWolfred

UmniKnight wrote:

@Peek-a-boo Battleborn is in the same vein as Overwatch, but with different characters I guess. It's by the guys that made SMITE, that 3rd person gods fighting each-other moba.

No, you're thinking of Paladins. Battleborn is a First-Person MOBA/Hero Shooter hybrid from the same guys who made Borderlands.

Trust me, I just spent the last hour on Paladin's website filling out Bug reports, and reading up about the company so I know that they're not the type that'll take my money and run.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MFD

@CanisWolfred Oh derp, I put in the wrong name, let me fix that. As for the type to take your money and run, dunno about that. They do have some weird crap going on in SMITE though, like locking skins exclusively behind some silly loot-box system ala Overwatch, while also selling skins at the same time. Baffling, really, because those are some nice skins, but since you can't get them without throwing money at a gambling machine...

Edited on by MFD

MFD

BAN

@Octane Why is there an "other gaming" subforum on Nintendo Life? There's every other gaming site on the planet for that.

BAN

CanisWolfred

UmniKnight wrote:

@CanisWolfred Oh derp, I put in the wrong name, let me fix that. As for the type to take your money and run, dunno about that. They do have some weird crap going on in SMITE though, like locking skins exclusively behind some silly loot-box system ala Overwatch, while also selling skins at the same time. Baffling, really, because those are some nice skins, but since you can't get them without throwing money at a gambling machine...

Eh, I dunno about SMITE, but I wasn't worried about that in Paladins. I mean, like, the game all of a sydden has been suffering from a ton of glitches. I guess someone screwed up after the end of a recent event (it wasn't even a big deal, they just let everyone have access to legendary cards for a week), so now all the loot chests and purchasing legendary cards at the start of the game using in-game currency suddenly became a giant resource vacuum.

@BAN I can't tell if you're trying to get banned ironically or not. But I'm looking forward to the climax of this tragedy.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

gcunit

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

@Grumblevolcano I doubt a sony hybrid will be the switch killer. PsP and Vita didn't topple Nintendo from the handheld throne and now that you can have home console games from Nintendo on the go? Not much else Sony can do to steal that thunder. They don't do a good job of backing their portables, and the the hardware needed to have a ps4 on the go and have decent battery life just isn't there yet.

Not the only person saying this, but icba to find the other quotes.

Sony's lacklustre record with regard to previous portables doesn't make Switch safe.

Given Sony's position in the market and past home console successes, a Sony portable/hybrid will always be a serious competitor to Nintendo. Imagine if they decided to fully back one next time... Just because they've not quite mastered it previously, that's in no way assurance that they can't get it right one day.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

CanisWolfred

@gcunit It's still the only evidence we have to go off of, and we're just speculating blindly at this point.

EDIT: Decided to try Paragon for a bit, since I wanted something to introduce me to the basics of playing a MOBA, since the last couple tries just left me dazed and confused.

Well, it was certainly good for that, at least. Not much else, though. Never before have I seen a more by-the-numbers cast of...can I even call these characters? But I'm just beating a dead horse. I was bored to tears, but intrigued enough by the basic concepts that I think I'll try Heroes of the Storm again at some point.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MFD

@CanisWolfred I could potentially give you a hand with HotS, given that your European (Battle.net doesn't do cross-country, silly that Blizzard is)

@gcunit If that hybrid does happen, I hope Nintendo is willing to FINALLY step up to the plate, and actually face their competition, because hell knows they ignore them all the time instead.

MFD

gcunit

@CanisWolfred If anything though, I'd be inclined to interpret it differently. Sony have shown some intent and ambition in the past, but made some mistakes. Apply that intent and ambition (plus a bit more) and the learning from previous mistakes, and they're likely to improve. It's not like they don't know the business. They have the brand recognition and the industry clout to succeed.

It just needs another product to demonstrate to them that the market is sufficiently interested in hybrids. Which it appears the Switch is on its way to doing (e.g. in Japan, currently outselling PS4 3:1 in the first 6 months). If that continues Sony will likely respond.

I've said it several times before. Consumer tech will continue to converge. Why be tied to a TV when you can take your games anywhere too?

Two years ago most of the users on this site pooh-poohed the idea of a Nintendo hybrid.

gcunit

@UmniKnight Some might argue that BotW, MK8D, Splatoon2, ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey and M&R:KB is Nintendo stepping up to the plate.

MFD

@gcunit Personally, I believe we'll see Nintendo in a tight spot, probably spiralling towards their exiting the hardware business if Sony does implement a good, far stronger hybrid. Especially with how "Competition" is probably posted around their office with the words "Absolutely do not speak" written below it.

MFD

MFD

@gcunit A great game but held back by Wii-U/Arguably an improved port/An interesting game, but it's already starting to fade/I really can't see what's so incredibly awesome about Odyssey, so I couldn't say/Rabbids is a good genuine effort, and it's a worthwhile one. I can't say anything truly negative on account of that, save for the fact that it needs a bit of technical patching up. Also Rabbids is more Ubisoft stepping up to the plate to support Nintendo, so there's that. All in all, if you're a total Nintendo fan you'll have a lot of good moments with the Switch. I can only stare boggle-eyed at people with 10-20+ games, where I've got a grand total of 5 next to me here, 4 of them being ports (Disgaea 5/MK8D/Fate/Extella and Zelda BotW.)

Edited on by MFD

MFD

gcunit

@UmniKnight I only have 3 (plus a Neo Geo download), but the gaming media and general consumer base is definitely taking notice, and praising, Switch, for the quality of its hardware and software.

Me personally, I don't see anything wrong with having a hybrid with a powerful dock and some games being 'docked-only', if portable specs really are the reason AAAs haven't come to Switch yet. So, assuming it's technically possible, I could see Sony going that way.

MFD

@gcunit Let's hope Sony's new hybrid gets some of that Nintendo IP by that time then eh? (If it becomes a thing of course) It'll at least resolve the issue of people wanting Sony's third-party, but also being stuck to Nintendo's IP. They'll only have to buy 1 device for once.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Ralizah

gcunit wrote:

Me personally, I don't see anything wrong with having a hybrid with a powerful dock and some games being 'docked-only', if portable specs really are the reason AAAs haven't come to Switch yet. So, assuming it's technically possible, I could see Sony going that way.

Having a portion of the system's library be dock-only defeats the purpose of a hybrid system. Might as well just stick with a home console at that point. Unlike Nintendo, the pure home console thing is actually working out really well for them.

UmniKnight wrote:

@gcunit Let's hope Sony's new hybrid gets some of that Nintendo IP by that time then eh? (If it becomes a thing of course) It'll at least resolve the issue of people wanting Sony's third-party, but also being stuck to Nintendo's IP. They'll only have to buy 1 device for once.

Might as well kill that hope now. Nintendo has been pretty clear that they're never going third party.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

@Ralizah Imagine the current Switch library of games. Imagine that, but with the addition of all the current gen AAA multi-plats also playable on Switch, docked-only. I would find it hard to believe anyone who claims they wouldn't be interested in that.

Peek-a-boo

There’s not going to be a new handheld, a hybrid system or a portable device of sorts from Sony. I don’t know why this narrative continues to carry on, and it is always resurfaced by the same old posters too, with no concrete source(s) or a webpage link to back up their claims.

The PlayStation Portable did really well, whereas the PS Vita was more or less abandoned into its third year.

Sony have shown time and time again that they have trouble balancing development for two different/separate platforms, and right now they have three wildly different ventures with the PlayStation 4 and the PS VR as well as their mobile games that has found great success in Japan.

Why would they make things even harder for themselves by releasing a fourth pillar in their already busy portfolio? And as @Ralizah says, unlike Nintendo, the pure home console thing is actually working out really well for them. It is what they do better than anyone else does.

Saying that, I have always admired the fact that new games are still coming out on the PS Vita such as the very recent Undertale, Bad Apple Wars, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Darkest Dungeon, Demon Gaze II, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Papers, Please, Secret of Mana Remake, Shakedown: Hawaii, SteamWorld Dig 2, Windjammers and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana to name but a few.

Not bad for a ‘dead’ system, hey?

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

gcunit wrote:

Yeah - the idea certainly seems to divide opinion, but I believe that there's a real possibility that it will happen...some have suggested that Nintendo could release a suped-up Dock offering an improved Docked experience (more on par with X1/PS4) - I'm more in the camp that Nintendo will release an N64-style 'Expansion Pak' for the vanilla Switch Dock, offering a similar upgrade - either way, I think it'll happen & I think it'd be great, personally!

Ralizah wrote:

UmniKnight wrote:

Might as well kill that hope now. Nintendo has been pretty clear that they're never going third party.

Yeah, never gonna happen - I highly doubt that Nintendo would be especially worried by a rival hybrid either...Sony have released rival portable consoles before and Nintendo has comfortably seen them off - I don't see any reason why it'd be different this time around...especially because the Switch seems to have been designed with a certain degree of 'future proofing' in mind, giving them the flexibility to be able to respond/upgrade if necessary - Sony belatedly releasing a rival is unlikely to have much of an impact in my opinion...

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic