Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 fan thread.

Posts 6,781 to 6,800 of 7,024

gcunit

I imagine Sony's current strategy is to wait a couple of years and watch the Xbox One X fizzle out while the PS4 keeps romping it.

Regarding the Switch, if it takes off then I don't think Sony will ignore it. I'm expecting someone to to produce the converged device I've been dreaming of by releasing a gaming phone that's done properly. I know Sony have tried it before, but the Switch should be able to inspire them to do better this time round.

Right now in my head, it's all horses, horses, horses, food, and horses.

Currently playing: Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Yoshi's Woolly World

Switch Friend code: SW-3124-5612-5724 - I like to keep a tight list of peeps I'm familiar with.

Peek-a-boo

Jeez guys.

There’s not going to be a new handheld device to ‘fight’ against the Switch, there’s not going to be a minor upgrade for the PS4 Pro to ‘fight’ the Xbox One X and there certainly won’t be a PlayStation 5 until 2019 at the earliest, 2020 at the latest.

Why on earth does Sony have to ‘fight’ when the PlayStation division is having arguably the best year ever in terms of software output, global sale figures and the biggest annual profit since the PlayStation was born?

Untitled

p.s. Anyways, here’s the first trailer for BioMutant, which had my curiosity, but has now got my attention!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

@BLP_Software I agree with your stance on Sony entirely. IT's PS2 era Sony again, and that's a really bad thing. OTOH, You know that MS was going to be in the exact same position if the X360 momentum continued. And Nintendo already once WAS in that position. So none of the 3 can be allowed to be on top as they've all demonstrated they'll make a monopoly of it if they can (technically Nintendo was the only one to ever actually succeed at a genuine monopoly back in the 80's.)

Still, I don't know if they'd make a Switch clone that's not just a Vita. Or badly implemented. And they'd have a problem. Playstation is the library at this point. And segmenting handheld vs. console has proven to be something they're AWFUL at doing. So Mobile PS wouldn't be a PS4, and even if it's more powerful than Switch or more sleek, it would still be something they themselves would treat as inferior to PS4. And that has proven to be an awful strategy. Right now, Switch's selling point isn't that it's a hybrid, it's that its a Switch. The brand the games, the image, work together. A hybrid PS along with PS4 would just be "another Sony portable, but not a real playstation" like Vita. I could honestly see MS doing handheld/hybrid more than Sony simply because Sony would have to compete against themselves and make one of their products the inferior one, and it would have to be the new one rather than the one that's already industry leader. MS doesn't have that problem. XBox 1 is already the inferior Playstation.

NEStalgia

IceClimbers

Sony can't exactly put out a hybrid that's more powerful than Switch anyways. The laws of thermodynamics and the limitations of battery technology are still a thing.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@IceClimbers New Tegra chip + better battery and selling it at a loss? Unlikely, but who knows

@Peek-a-boo Biomutant has got my interest too!

Octane

Dezzy

IceClimbers wrote:

The laws of thermodynamics and the limitations of battery technology are still a thing.

"The total entropy of a closed system increases over time" is a description of Square Enix.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Operative2-0

Still waiting for the Jak and Daxter PS4 ports. Wasn't it supposed to be packed in with the new Uncharted game?

Operative2-0

Octane

Dezzy wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

The laws of thermodynamics and the limitations of battery technology are still a thing.

"The total entropy of a closed system increases over time" is a description of Square Enix.

I laughed way too hard at this.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

CanisWolfred

^Ahah, same.

Also, yeah, that was a pretty CGI trailer I saw for Biomutant. The gameplay sets up a lot of promises. Time will tell what pans out and what doesn't. I want to be really excited for it, and I've seen nothing that warrants extreme apprehension from a logical standpoint...

...however, I was mentally scarred by a hentai featuring genetic mutation as a central mechanic last year, so I'm saying this after having only recently stopped hyperventilating...I guess I can find out once and for all whether or not that game was actually cursed, or if I was just going insane...fingers crossed it's good...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Octane

@Operative2-0 I got my codes for Jak & Daxter two days ago. The retailer told me it was a DL code for Lost Legacy, so I was a bit confused, but they assured me it was for J&D. I'm not at home, so I can't check, but apparently it exists.

Octane

Haru17

Yeah, that Biomutant trailer did exactly nothing for me. From taking time to look screenshots and descriptions of the game it appears to be Fallout with more mutations, melee weapons, vehicles, platforming, greenery, and where the characters are anthropomorphic animals.

And that's all fine, but it would be far from the truth to say this game looks visually impressive in 2017, which makes me worry about a brand new western studio making an open world game with a lot of melee combat — common sticking points for developers. So hopefully it goes well.

It's also funny how, in broad terms, "Bio-mutant" means the same thing as "Evolve." Also the main character is Furry Punished Snake.

I like Zelda but probably not that one.

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

Yeah, that Biomutant trailer did exactly nothing for me. From taking time to look screenshots and descriptions of the game it appears to be Fallout with more mutations, melee weapons, vehicles, platforming, greenery, and where the characters are anthropomorphic animals.

And that's all fine, but it would be far from the truth to say this game looks visually impressive in 2017, which makes me worry about a brand new western studio making an open world game with a lot of melee combat — common sticking points for developers. So hopefully it goes well.

It's also funny how, in broad terms, "Bio-mutant" means the same thing as "Evolve." Also the main character is Furry Punished Snake.

Untitled

Looks pretty good to me. If anything, I'm more worried about them showing bullshots. I don't blame you about the trailer, it was just CGI and didn't really reveal much that wasn't better summed up in the synopsis on the official website. Moreso than anything, I just think they didn't show enough to really know what we're in for.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Peek-a-boo

I think BioMutant looks pretty good; needs some gameplay footage to compliment the reveal trailer though.

Anyways, moving onto yesterday’s super-hot topic!

Is it a new handheld to react against the Switch? Is it an incremental update for the PS4 Pro to fight the Xbox One X? Is it arrogant Sony being arrogant? Is it - “WORLD PREMIERE” - the PlayStation 5?!

Untitled

Untitled

And the sun continues to rise every morning.

p.s. Shenmue III has had a little unveiling at Gamescom, with the first genuine screenshots of the game, hooray!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Operative2-0

@Octane awesome!! It's been very quiet on that topic. Word is they rated it in July which usually means an imminent release but I figured it'd have to be out at some point before or on Lost Legacys release because it was supposed to come with a download code. Though I suppose they could still release the game later on

Operative2-0

Octane

@CanisWolfred Are those screens from the trailer? They look pretty good. I'm not a fan of the Darksiders aesthetic, but I can dig this.

@Peek-a-boo Hey, that bundle looks alright! Shenmue III on the other hand looks kinda weird with no facial animations.

By the way, seeing Dunkirk in the theaters was something special, but seeing it in real life is pretty special too

@Operative2-0 No interest in Uncharted I assume? I don't particularly care enough about J&D to think something of this (since I've never played them), but I wonder how others feel about this? Is it like a neat easter egg for the people that bought Uncharted (like DQ1 being part of DQ15), or is this like the Modern Warfare Remaster? At least they're not charging extra for an Uncharted + J&D bundle.

Octane

Operative2-0

@Octane I do want to play the uncharted games eventually, but sadly it's just been game after game after game over the past year, I seriously haven't had the time. So, unfortunate I didn't have incentive enough to go for the new one, even if I am desperate for Jak Ps4

Operative2-0

CanisWolfred

@Octane No. Unless there's a different trailer I missed. The one I saw looked entirely pre-rendered. I got that from the offical website. They got a bunch of other screenshots there, too.

Also, I still have a PS2 and PS3 hooked up, so I can play Jak & Daxter whenever I want. It's definitely only a bonus. That CoD business was a whole bigger issue than just being locked in with a special edition for a sequel not everyone wanted. The fact that it cost twice as much was one thing. The fact that online was a bigger deal, but the series hasn't evolved much so it almost feels pointless unless you're a die-hard fan (hence why they felt they could get away with charging so much). Then there's the obvious fact that it was going to available as a separate purchase later on anyways, and the not-so-obvious marketplace they shoehorned in later on. All for a barebones remaster they were extorting for way higher than the rest of the market, while still charging extra for DLC maps - at a higher price than they originally cost, I might add!

...Plus, it's not even that good. Martyrdom alone ruins the online mode, and the campaign just isn't that impressive in retrospect. Sure, well-done singleplayer campaigns are rare these days, but there are still enough examples on the PS3 and PS4 that I don't really see anyone who doesn't have a ton of nostalgia for it enjoying it that much like people did way back when.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Peek-a-boo

Untitled

It is an utterly brilliant game. This series should be stagnating by now, but somehow The Lost Legacy feels like the freshest Uncharted game yet. Chloe is one kick-arse character to play as too. I am absolutely loving it!

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic