Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,561 to 6,580 of 16,083

Ralizah

@Haru17 I agree, although I would say, more broadly: "All games are flawed, and you don't owe them a damn thing." Life is short. Play what interests you, folks.

@Peek-a-boo This is one reason I love the Switch so much. Progressing through some giant 100 hour RPG on consoles is a chore, and takes me months and months to accomplish. I'm willing to bite that bullet to play something I absolutely love, like Persona 5, but in general I just don't have constant enough access to my home consoles to make insanely long games consistently worth playing. The Switch, on the other hand, is so versatile that it makes long games doable for me. I can play on the TV when I have the time at home, but, more often than not, the tablet will be in my bag, waiting to be played here and there in those spare moments when I'm free. The ease of putting the system into rest mode means I can leave a game at almost any point, which means I don't have to plan my day around playing it.

I used to play the heck out of my handheld games and always be behind with my collection of home console games. The same is true now, but with a slight twist: I'm able to keep up with all of the experiences on my Switch because they're as easy to access as my handheld games.

@kkslider5552000 I guess that was another problem for me. I... don't hate the battle system, but I didn't find it to be particularly fun, either. And I have hard time finding exploration to be fun when you can't really interact with your environment. If you really like those aspects of the game, though, I can totally understand why you love it.

Another issue I had was the weird in-game systems that added nothing to the game, in my opinion. Like, the fact that heart-to-hearts were locked behind raising your affinity with certain characters drove me nuts. It'd be like if the flashback spots in BotW told you that you needed to grind for hours with that characters in your party before you could access them to see a simple, short cinematic.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TuVictus

I got Rayman Legends off psn on impulse since it was on sale for ten bucks. Wow, this game is sooooo much more fun than I had ever even thought possible. It seriously beats out games likes new Super Mario Bros for me. And the musical levels are by far my favorite.

TuVictus

TuVictus

@Octane Tropical Freeze wins by default just because of the music.

TuVictus

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 Rayman Origins and Legends are two of the best side-scrolling platformers I've ever played. They rival the absolute best of Nintendo's output in any generation.

Octane

I've never played Origins or Legends. Always wanted to try them, but I never got around to it.

Octane

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

Another issue I had was the weird in-game systems that added nothing to the game, in my opinion. Like, the fact that heart-to-hearts were locked behind raising your affinity with certain characters drove me nuts. It'd be like if the flashback spots in BotW told you that you needed to grind for hours with that characters in your party before you could access them to see a simple, short cinematic.

I do agree it was a bit too much (even as someone who did the vast majority of the content and spent a ton of time on it, I still needed to do a ton of item trading between characters), but one of the reasons I grew to love the characters were how they were used in combat. The focus on combo attacks and the ability to directly play as any of them and all the endearing catchphrases were a huge part of their appeal, maybe more than the main story cutscenes for some of them. So it fit that these long term interactions in battle would make them closer, thus making it so you could unlock the next one. Blah blah blah, gameplay as storytelling, wordy wordy text, random reference to Journey.

If it makes you feel better though, it isn't like Heart to Hearts added a lot, for the most part. Even as a huge fan, I'm fairly indifferent to them. I do think there needed to be more, or maybe some freebies like the Tales of conversations.

And to be fair, it's still better than the requirements for story missions in X requiring you to explore an area a lot, even if you have nothing else interesting to do in said area.

Ralizah wrote:

Rayman Origins and Legends are two of the best side-scrolling platformers I've ever played. They rival the absolute best of Nintendo's output in any generation.

True! Accurate! Correct!

I will never get over how Rayman Legends was what the Wii U Mario platformer should've been. A next gen showcase of the Wii U that puts together weird gimmicks and classic platforming wonderfully. It's amazing how much more it used the Wii U's features compared to 3D World. Legends is also one of the only games I've played through twice from this decade, and both co-op with 2 separate people at separate times. Also, it just did so many things that existed seemingly to make me happy, like Mario Galaxy-like bonus challenges, putting nearly all of Origins' levels in the game, it's so great.

And both games I think, at least in 2 player, are the best co-op platformers (I liked DKCR more in single player tbh).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TuVictus

Yes the co-op in Legends is by far some of the most fun and satisfying to play in a game possibly ever for myself. I truly can't believe I let it slip under my radar

TuVictus

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild are both flawed open world games and you don't owe them a damn thing.

The Witcher 3 has fewer flaws than any other story-based open world game. You owe it a pledge of undying allegiance.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

Watching the bf play Witcher 3, the game is infinitely more interesting and detailed than any other open world game. So it really does surprise me how people think BOTW is some revolutionary open world game, when it's already been beaten.

TuVictus

Ralizah

I'll try to get around to it one day, but, from what I've seen, I'll never understand why people rave about Witcher 3 so much. The combat, in particular, doesn't look fun at all. Then again, I actually played most of Bloodborne and still don't understand why people think that game is so amazing.

Persona 5 and P.T. are the only genuinely amazing games I've played on my PS4 so far.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah The combat isn't amazing, but mainly because it pales in comparison to the rest. I've never heard anyone talk about great combat in TW3 though. It suffices, it does what it has to do. But I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be either.

But yeah, don't go play TW3 and expect the best combat simulator, that's not what the game is about. It shines in all other aspects though. The story, lore, world building. The side quests, the choices you make and how they can affect your game 50 hours later. It's an immersive experience, and it has two of the best DLC expansions I've seen in long time, maybe my favourite even.

Octane

Dezzy

The combat is adquate. Witcher 3 is good because it's really one of the only open world games that has as good character development and writing as a linear RPG would.
I can't really think of any other open world RPG that really comes close. There are just really interesting side-quests absolutely everywhere. It makes the world feel so real. I kept thinking about characters and events from the game for months after I'd finished it.
Mass Effect Trilogy is the next best in that regard. But not quite open world.

I'm actually about to go back and play Witcher 2. Never played it. And I just bought a PC that can handle it. My last one struggled.

Edited on by Dezzy

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Only just realised that that is out on the very same day as when the Xbox One X is available! I am pretty sure that Frozen Wilds will still be the best looking game on that day, irrespective of what the latter console can produce.

Anyways, just had a browse around in the past quarter of an hour, and it seems that Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is receiving some very positive reviews. Here are a couple that caught my eye:

GameSpot - 8

“Hellblade's most notable achievement is the handling of an incredibly sensitive subject matter within an engaging and well-crafted action/adventure game. At its heart, the story is about Senua's struggle to come to terms with her illness. In the process, she learns to find the strength within herself to endure, and to make peace with her past. And in a profound and physical way, we go through those same struggles with her, and come away with a better understanding of a piece of something that many people in the world struggle with.”

God is a Geek - 9

“One of the most inventive games of the year, showing that time and patience can be behind a challenging, smart, and incredibly interesting game.”

IGN - 9.0

“A masterclass of atmosphere, storytelling, and the marriage of mechanical and conceptual design. While there are moments that feel shoehorned in to remind us we’re playing a videogame, the care and attention Ninja Theory has clearly poured into Senua and her story has created something amazing. This is a game everyone should play, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to have lived inside the mind of Senua, however briefly.“

Going to have to put this one at the back of my already overly long queue, unfortunately, but I will definitely buy it at some point. I believe @Haru17 has expressed an interest in this game for quite some time though. Here’s hoping that he shall let us know what he thinks of it!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

I think I have to pass on Hellblade. I'm thinking of starting Bloodborne soon, I still need to finish Gravity Rush 2 and NieR, and all of that should preferably happen before Uncharted comes out later this month. Horizon DLC later this year, Mario Odyssey, haven't played Titanfall 2 yet. I want to try out Nioh too, Tomb Raider... The list goes on...

Octane

Dezzy

Do bloodborne! I just finished it for the 3rd time. Such a wonderfully atmospheric game. It grows on you more and more as you progress. I like games that do that.

TuVictus

Once I got into Bloodborne and its mechanics, I had such a blast in that world. Truly crafted with expert hands. I wish more games had as interesting a setting as that one.

TuVictus

Dezzy

@Operative2-0

It took me a while to get into the first time because I always played as a tank in Dark Souls. Big armour, big weapon, lots of shield use.

Bloodborne implicitly tells you "that's not the best way to play, you clutz!"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic