Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,481 to 6,500 of 16,084

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo Value proposition is more what you get for your money that you as an individual chose to spend. And an extra £1.50 to play on a bus, train, plane, car ride, yacht, arouns the house, waiting fkr interviews, half time and sport events, break at work, yeah, thats good value.

And hey, look at all the movie style games you didnt mention like Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, Detroit, Days Gone, the list goes on. Yes they have their smaller games that arent but the big hitters are very cinematic ezperiences.

Is Baby Driver any good? Ive heard it shockingly is. Emoji Movie I retain judgement on because that...is a thing. As for phones, well good to see they are doing good with the Xperia line of things. Ive heard they are very good phones so good to see them get a larger market share.

I believe streamlining is a good idea however. Record profits one year doesnt equal record profits the next and sadly this IS Sony. They went from the PS2 to the PS3 launch and while they have changed you nor I have any way of being certain something wont happen in the wider market or to their produce in future.

And thanks for being saracastic with me in tone. I know you dont like me. But I will enjoy playing Sonic Mania on a bus, because weirdly enough thats how I choose to spend that extra £1.50 that would be a cup of coffee while Im out.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@BLP_Software How is Horizon a ''movie-style'' game?

And yes, Baby Driver was very good.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane More cinematic, i.e. comparatively. guess I associate cinematic and Sony with the Naughty Dog camera.

KirbyTheVampire

I'll probably end up building a gaming PC at some point. Just being able to play online on the PS4 is getting overpriced, and Steam sales make games incredibly cheap anyway, so losing out on "free" PS+ games isn't a very big deal, especially when a lot of them are years old anyway.

The only reason I even own a PS4 now is the exclusives, and that's the only thing that could get me to buy future PlayStations.

KirbyTheVampire

Peek-a-boo

BLP_Software wrote:

More cinematic, i.e. comparatively. guess I associate cinematic and Sony with the Naughty Dog camera.

You see why I mentioned those games like LocoRoco/Parappa the Rapper/Patapon remasters, Gravity Rush 2, Everybody’s Golf, Knack 2 and Gran Turismo Sport now? You seem to perceive that almost every project Sony creates is a movie-style experience when it’s more like 20:80 ratio in favour of cinematic games to everything else.

I don’t believe you have played Horizon Zero Dawn, which isn’t anything like a game with a Naughty Dog camera as you continue to label it. Actually, what does that even mean, ‘a Naughty Dog camera’?

There are many, many games available to play in today’s gaming scene with a camera that sits just over the shoulder of the character you are playing as. Resident Evil 4 was the game that truly kickstarted this trend so, shouldn’t you be referring it a Resident Evil 4 style camera instead?

Pop into the movie thread in general discussion to see just how good Baby Driver really is.

I replied drily because you have this perception of the games that Sony creates that only exists if you keep telling yourself that it does. The only ‘Naughty Dog camera’ game that is coming out of their stables this year is, funnily enough, an Uncharted game!

The rest however (LocoRoco/Parappa the Rapper/Patapon remasters, Gravity Rush 2, WipEout Omega Collection, Everybody’s Golf, Knack 2 and Gran Turismo Sport) are completely their own thing. Heck, even the past two years only had one ‘Naughty Dog camera’ game, and that was Uncharted 4.

The rest? Alienation, Bloodborne, Bound, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Gravity Rush Remastered, The Last Guardian, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Beast, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, Until Dawn as well as nearly a dozen first party games available to play on the PS VR too.

That there is more variety of games and genres than most studios output in their lifetime. Thus, I am just not seeing this association that Sony has with the so-called ‘Naughty Dog camera’.

p.s. And I don’t not like you.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

Peek-a-boo wrote:

p.s. And I don’t not like you.

Effusive praise if I've ever heard it!

Anyway, RE4 definitely popularized that type of camera position, but I also associate its modern use in more cinematic games with Uncharted. A couple other factors are also involved:

• The character is usually "heavy" in terms of how they control (i.e. there's a sense that you need to build momentum with their movement instead of them just instantly reacting). It's a small thing, but it bugs the hell out of me in ND games.
  • Usually in this sort of game, there'll be "forced walking" sections where your already unresponsive character slows to a crawl so an NPC can talk your ear off.

It's definitely not characteristic of all of Sony's output, but it's VERY prominent in their bigger Western-developed games.

Next year will see at least two major Sony first-party exclusives in this style (Days Gone and God of War). Possibly three if TLOU Part II releases (although I'm betting on 2019 for that game).

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo Horizon is a game i cant convince myself on. I simply dont believe Ill like it.

And the Naughty Dog camera is pull backs, slow walking and talking, the little white subtitles and how the world unfolds in front of you. Its hard to explain.

And its nice to see Sony do these little side games and more niche titles. But as someone who doesnt follow every move of any gaming company a lot go under the radar. Some of these admittedly mkre in my taste games bekng mentioned would be nice but instead its blockbuster after blockbuster thrown at the average joe like me.

And i dont expect you to like me. I dont expect anyone to. You not disliking me is about as good as it gets.

Peek-a-boo

@Ryno At least the subtitle isn’t quite as daft as the likes of Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness, or the equally daft sounding Infinite Undiscovery from the very same studio (tri-Ace) as the former game no less. ‘Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy’ is another example.

As Spider-Man once said, “with great games comes terrible names!”

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

Wait, $70 a year to play games online? Can I get the plan for $29.99 that doesn't include "free" games I have zero intention of downloading? Why is it, exactly, they want me to subsidize other players' games?

That's got to be the worst joke I've ever heard. I stopped paying when they jumped to the ridiculous $60 a year. $70 a year?? That pretty much assured that never again in my life I will be paying for online Sony play. They can stuff their cloud saves.

I don't mind a small payment for the service, but drop the subsidization of other people's games and drop the price. Off the option at least. They didn't raise prices from 2010-2016. I could understand slightly a price increase for inflation. 2 years back to back? That's just our old pal "Arrogantly Successful Sony" rearing his head again.

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

@BLP_Software You have documented more than once that you would like Sony go back to their old ways in the PSone days, as would I... but things have changed, and certain games - and genres - appeal to today’s audience more so than the games we used to play when we were kids.

At least we have had a new-ish Ratchet & Clank and the recent release of Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, the latter of which has done extremely well to the point that I am convinced Crash Team Racing is coming at some point. Hopefully Spyro the Dragon receives the same treatment somewhere down the line too!

At least you (now) know that Sony broaden their horizons from time to time.

You should go ahead and take those shackles off (figuratively speaking) and indulge in their games catalogue once you have had your fill of playing Mega Man Collection 2 and Sonic Mania. You might even surprise yourself.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@NEStalgia It's still $60 for you guys. This only affected Europe, Australia and New Zealand. I agree with you though.

I'd like to see an option without the ''free'' games, I don't need the discounts either. I get most of my games day one and physical when possible. And if they want us to pay for online (this also counts for Microsoft and Nintendo), make sure there's a reason to pay: dedicated servers. Nintendo doesn't have any and most of Sony's games are also P2P. I like the cloud saving, but again, I'm not paying €60 for cloud saves. Maybe a few bucks a year at most (it shouldn't cost that much anyway).

So to summarise, let us pick what we want to subscribe to, and give us a reason to pay for online. Because if it's P2P, they may as well pay us for running their servers.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo You know Im only getting MMLC2 because of MM8? That was rereleased on PS3 in the US. But not here. We have no usable rereleases of any PS1 megaman stuff.

And sure ill dive into the PS4 when I have money and patience to navigate that storefront. I picked up ADIOS on a whim. Ill check out some of those other games see if any pique my interest.

Just dont hold your breath. Ive yet to start Overwatch out of apathy. Or Saints Row 4. Or Metro...

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

NEStalgia

@Octane Oh, that's good that it's not a double increase here! I'm still not paying, last year's price hike was enough to finally get me to cancel my underutilized subscription after years of paying it, but at least I don't have to loathe them every time I see PSN

Exactly. I've never used a discounted digital game, I've never downloaded a free game. The price increases are purely asking me to subsidize other people's gaming while I continue paying top dollar. Lack of dedicated servers certainly doesn't make it friendly for any of them as well. That would be something worth paying for.

I'm not against small fees for the administration of matchmaking, cloud saves, policing, and the continuous fixes/upgrades that go into online games. Nintendo's $20/yr seems about right. $40/yr was "kind of bearable". $60/year is pushing into the absurd, and it's all about funding the subsidy!

Though I recall what happened to SiriusXM when the government made them support a la carte pricing for the merge. They fixed the pricing so that if you want any 3 of the 200 things, you might as well just buy all 200 for a few dollars more

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

Ryno wrote:

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age officially announced for the West!

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/07/28/dragon-quest-x...

Hey now, don't you realize it's amatuer hour at the business debate comittee? What's all this about actual games that look fun and might be interesting! Shoo! Away with you! We only deal in serious business that more than 90% of us aren't qualified to debate about and have zero investment in outside of how many interesting games might come of it. :shun:

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

Speaking of Dragon Quest XI, it came out yesterday. Here’s the queues in Osaka and Fukuoka for said game. The PlayStation 4 version, surprisingly so, is selling out the quickest in a land where handhelds rule the roost.

Untitled

Untitled

I chose the bottom photo as you can see the car I have. A Mini Cooper!

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

Interesting to see if PS4 outsells overall. I imagine 3DS is being hurt by that currently imaginary Switch version.

And those hold outs may be disappointed. For all we know Switch is a myth and its a way to get the series to PS4 long term.

At this point the worst case scenario is Switch doesnt really exist, gets "canned" while the 3DS version falls to the side under the empty promise of a better portable entry.

Not saying that will happen, its just my pessimistic imagination, but woulsnt it be something?

Ralizah

If it was between the 3DS and PS4 versions, I'd absolutely opt for the PS4 one, and I've always preferred portables. Anyway, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony paid to delay the Switch version so they could ensure a turnout like this.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

Nintendo really let a good opportunity slip by not giving them the extra resources needed to have the Switch version available at launch.
Japan loves handhelds. Japan loves Dragon Quest.
That could've sold a lot of hardware.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic