Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 fan thread.

Posts 6,441 to 6,460 of 7,514

KirbyTheVampire

I don't think 3D Mario can be considered niche at all, lol. Odyssey will probably be one of the Switch's best selling games.

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

BLP_Software wrote:

And as for Mario itself on October 27th, looking at the lineup everywhere else? RIP that game. Do you want your one Switch game for the month or all these PS4 and Xbox One games? Plus 3D Mario just doesnt get the numbers, 2D Mario would at least do respectably against the others but 3D is significantly more niche.

I feel like this is a troll post...

We'll see in a few months time when the game breaks sales records and becomes one of the best selling Switch games.

@Peek-a-boo Where did you find that TLOU set? I'd love to get something like this myself.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Not in the UK, I'm expecting Super Mario Odyssey's debut to be around 5th. Beaten by games like FIFA 18!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Undoubtedly. Doesn't mean Odyssey won't sell though. And with breaking sales records, I meant for 3D Mario games (or Switch games). I don't expect it to outsell GTAV or something like that!

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy By skimming (or skipping) informative posts, perhaps?

@Ralizah You might not like those third party games, given your rather eccentric taste, but they are definitely going to be the biggest selling games of the year. I will only be buying Gran Turismo Sport and Star Wars Battlefront II in the lead up to Christmas so, whilst I am not overly interested in those games myself, I have no doubt that millions of other do. The Switch could really do with some of these games.

@Octane The LEGO model is a fan made project. I thought it was available to view on the LEGO Ideas website however, the creator is still tinkering about with it, even though I personally think it’s perfect as it is!

@Grumblevolcano Looking back at the UK charts in 2013, Super Mario 3D World was actually outsold by Knack! I do wonder if history will repeat itself, seeing as Knack 2 is out in September?

The top five selling games in Europe by years end will in all likelihood be Assassin’s Creed Origin, Call of Duty: WWII, FIFA 2018, Gran Turismo Sport and Star Wars Battlefront II. I do hope that Super Mario Odyssey sits somewhere comfortably in the top ten though.

Now that Wimbledon is over (boo-hoo...), I decided to start Until Dawn that’s part of this months PS+ selection.

It was about twenty-odd months ago since I last played through it for the first time, and I am so surprised at how different the various outcomes are this time round.

I tried to save everybody last time, but I panicked towards the last third of the story, which lead to two or three characters dying. This time round, however, I am approaching each chapter with a hint of patience and a dash of caution.

Telltale could really learn a thing or two from playing Until Dawn. Wish there was another horror game like this...

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I'll be keeping an eye on the LEGO Ideas website in that case. I haven't bought anything in over a decade (at least), but I've seen some neat fan projects. I was tempted to pick up the Yellow Submarine, but the price was a bit too high since it was sold out in most places and shipping was pretty expensive.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Speaking of the Yellow Submarine, this is what I got for Christmas!

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Octane

I take back everything I said about DQXI, it's gorgeous! I hope there's VA in the final release though.

Octane

gcunit

@Octane You seem to be mistaking an animation with the game...

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo I guess this is what it means to be utterly alienated from the mainstream, huh? Still, at this point in time, I can't see those games doing very well on Switch. Not enough normies have adopted the system yet.

@Octane DQXI has always looked gorgeous. This art style really shines on modern gen tech.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NEStalgia

@Octane Deep Down is gorgeous too. But that gameplay....

Considering Square's history with very beautifully rendered cutscenes that don't represent the in-game visuals, and given this is a story trailer, not a gameplay trailer, I'm going to buess that DQX1 "looks gorgeous" running on a quad-Xeon, triple SLI rig with 64GB ram

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah @Peek-a-boo It IS a lineup you're going to see on a Walmart clearance shelf in half a year or piled up in a big metal bin in the middle of Gamestop. That's the 3rd party cycle. Complain about rising costs and falling revenues and the sustainability of a $60 price tag in November. Sell DLC season passes to make up the $60 copy insufficiency of funding. Drop the price 25% by February, liquidate in August, and cut the price to $9.99 on Steam by September. Then complain next hear how $60 just doesn't cut costs on the new one.

My tastes aren't quite as ecclectic as yours, and I've enjoyed western third party games more than many Nintendo gamers, but the kind of "summer block buster starring [insert this years hyped celebrity that will be forgotten next year]" junk that has pervaded modern gaming I suspect only appeases a certain "mass" of gamers that are effectively new gamers from the past 10 years or so. Nintendo and Sega gaming wasn't so dull 25 years ago. PC and PS2 gaming wasn't so dull 15 years ago. It's a new phenomenon around when gaming "grew" and became "mainstream."

I.E. they started making "games" that aren't really games that people who would otherwise watch moving pictures and shove popcorn down their throats would buy...which incidentally is a much much bigger audience than people that actually want to play cognitive ability tests disguised as entertainment vis a vis games

On the up side, that audience probably saved Playstation and the concept of a console in general by showing it can still post big numbers...so much as we may hate them, we probably also owe them. We might be playing on Android devices otherwise.

That said, AC: BotW Edition looks pretty decent. I'm an AC fan though I prefer the first. That, as of now, is the ONLY 3rd party Western AAA game I have on my preorder list. I want X1X hardware for the hardware....but then I realized the only game I'd play on it is AC Wolfenstein...I never played the post-Bethesda one...last I played was the Activision/Raven one years back and it was....yuck... It turned me off the brand. Which was sad, Raven was a good shop. The new one....with Nazi hippies....eh....I think I can easily pass on that. It's like Fallout: Wolfenstein Edition or something.

NFS actually looks like fun snack food. Turning a racing franchise into what looks like an action game with boss battles.....that's actually kind of cool. Not sure if the implementation will be good, but looking at it I get kind of a "GameCube" vibe out of. It's a game that asks: "What if Bayonetta had wheels?"

Lego...not the audience for that. And Battlefront looks like the most boring, horrible, time waster I could ever imagine. If I play that, I want to be paid hourly to do it.

One year, I want to watch E3, and not see zombies, nightmare monsters, demonic possession, or walking in dark scary places, or "WWI/WWII/Modern SpecOps." Gaming entered this rut, the same rut as hollywood....where everything is just a rehash of the same themes. That's why I like AC...it's one of the only ones that does something different. Notice even high fantasy became taboo in mainstream gaming? It's either guns or nightmares (or both), even with LotR hype years back, we just get Shadow of Mordor which tries to take the fantasy out of the fantasy game.

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah When I pointed out that you have an eccentric taste, I meant it in kind.

Whilst I don’t quite share your love for those very Japanese and J-Pop anime-style kind of games, I do like the Gravity Rush series, for example, but that’s mostly because of the unique gameplay as opposed to its overall presentation, although its visual style certainly makes the game stand out even more!

Although this website doesn’t represent a mainstream gaming audience, I do think that a game like Star Wars Battlefront II would be welcomed - and do very well - on the Switch. I am also amazed that the Xbox One is (still) getting Kingdom Hearts III, whereas a Switch version is very much up in the air.

Hopefully a more diverse scenario in terms of third party support shows up for the Switch this time next year, irrespective of whether fans and folks in general who visit Nintendo websites want to play them or not.

@Octane Speaking of a game that looks gorgeous, how about that Toy Story world in Kingdom Hearts III?

Untitled

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Wolfenstein: The New Order is pretty cool. It's VERY old school in that it has an elaborate, lengthy campaign with no multiplayer focus whatsoever. While there are setpieces, the focus is on killing wonderfully theatrical Nazis with a variety of weapons. There's even a fun dual-wielding system. TNO and Doom are both reminiscent of the shooter genre before Modern Warfare 1 ruined it.

With that said, shooters have never been my thing, so while I appreciate those games, they're not really exciting for me.

@Peek-a-boo No, I didn't take offense. I know my tastes aren't reflective of what the mainstream likes. Just because these games mostly sound like borderline shovelware to me does not mean most people will feel the same way. They might have good sales if they came to the Switch even if they're not memorable enough to occupy the public consciousness for more than a day.

They're certainly not going to hurt the sales of SMO, though.

I do expect we'll see more third party support if the Switch keeps selling well. This lack of third party support, I think, is thanks to the legacy of the Wii U.

I don't know how realistic it is to expect games like Battlefront, Assassin's Creed, etc. though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Octane

@Ralizah I wasn't sure about Toriyama's style in HD and 3D, because I feel that it always looked much better in 2D. However, after that latest trailer, it has started growing on me. It looks amazing actually.

@Peek-a-boo Those stills look better than the first Toy Story film. Too bad I don't have any interest in Kingdom Hearts, but the game looks good, I'll give them that.

Octane

NEStalgia

I still highly question still captures with a Disney copyright on a Square game as to if these represent the actual in-game motion on the target machine at a playable frame rate, even for a Pro. I've been around enough gaming never to trust stills and story trailers

We all remember Watch_Dogs, do we not?

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

I don't know how realistic it is to expect games like Battlefront, Assassin's Creed, etc. though.

The attach rate they get on Nintendo systems is hideous. The Switch would have to get into the 40+ million zone before they consider it worthwhile, I'll bet. Or at least be projected to be heading for those kinda numbers.
Almost none of those more teenage/adult aimed games sold more than half a million on the Wii U.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Octane

I was always under the impression that a Star Wars game would do very well with the Nintendo fan-base. I mean, the N64 and GameCube got Rogue Squadron, and those are often cited as good games too, right? Maybe I'm wrong though, but I think Battlefront II would've had a chance. Plus, there's actually a single player this time around. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm going to wait until the reviews are out.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane
True, and Force Unleashed did well on the Wii. Pretty much sold on par with other platforms.

Battlefront is one of the most graphically advanced games in existence though.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic