Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 fan thread.

Posts 6,201 to 6,220 of 7,269

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo That's an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of on one hand.....that the difference between 4 Pro and 1X are the same in percentages as between 1 and PS4. Though in terms of actual substance that's quite a bit more raw power difference still considering Pro is more powerful than 4. However, in both cases, I'm not silly enough to not see ANY of them as more than a mid-range PC. Honestly the PS4 isn't nearly powerful enough for what it claims to do....and that shows the One really is pretty awful. I'm assuming all game footage at the Sony show was PS4 Pro rendered....they did look impressive. Honestly a lot of the stuff at Microsofts show was likely PC rendered (the beauty of XBox + PC support on the games means it's still "truth in advertising" to run it on PC for the demo reels) so that's down to the games themselves if they weren't as visually impressive.

The checkerboard 4k falls a little lower than "truth in advertising" IMO, however, I'm not personally interested in 4k AT ALL (my setup is a 23" PC monitor actually....I'm far too near-sighted for a TV to be useful most of the time But I'll throw it on the 1080 projector if I want to go for big and grand.) What I AM interested in is 1080p and stable framerates. Heck half Switch's games are 1080/60 but PSXBox wants me to buy mid-range models to get it. Ugh! Hardware-wise, X1X is nice for the OS (proper download management would be a dream.....PS4 drive me batty), the smaller size (I have it crammed in tiny places) and controllers I don't actively loathe (I hate DualShock. I have always hated DualShock. I hate the DS4 notably less than I hated the DS3. I hate paper cuts less than I'd hate having an anvil dropped on my head, but I'm fond of neither. )

But....the exclusives....

I'm interested in Pro because of, in addition to the promise of 1080/60 (remember when the OG 4 promised that? Yeah...me too....) the faster SATA bus to help the dreadful load times on the thing, and that it supposedly no longer sounds like a leaf blower when revved up (and burns cooler). I have it cramped into some.....poorly ventilated spaces (Switch takes top spot...sorry PS). I dislike that it's SO big though. That can be problematic. In all likelihood I'll upgrade to neither and stay with the stock 4, I don't even play many PS/3P games now that I have Switch. There's a lot of them I WANT to play....and buy....but actually spending time playing them seems to be happening not so much. I'd like to have that upgraded experience when I play them, why hundreds of hours getting less than the best experience I could get....but that's just E3 hype talking and I'll slip back into complacence after the next Switch games come out (hey look, it's ARMS!)

As for Sony inevitably messing up. They will, I guarantee it. And I agree, it's all 3 of them. They all have a history of getting too successful, too arrogant, trying to coopt the industry too much, and flipping off their customers with a bad product/price/policy or both. They've done it before (PS3 launch), MS has done it before (One launch), and N's done it before (WiiU.....and arguable the N64/NPS debacle....arguably that was born of the shared arrogance of Sony and Nintendo simultaneously.) Sony screwed up, everyone fled to MS. MS screwed up, everyone fled to Sony. It's Sony's turn. Switch is too young for it to be their turn.

As for them being forced into PS5....I'm less confident on that one. It's just a consideration. These companies are in their urination contest with each other over specs and don't like being showed up by the other. When one does something the other reacts. I could see Sony's angle to take the wind out of Microsoft's investment in X by rendering the current gen dead and dropping a 5 that surpasses its specs. Not that X is catching on, but it would put MS in a position they'd have to respond but likely couldn't after having just invested considerably in X, and needing to avoid offending its customers. Those two play scorched earth. I could see Sony finding value there, at the risk of flipping of their own Pro fans...but...they're in arrogant mode.

NEStalgia

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I don't believe any of the third party games ran at 4K on the Xbox One X either. Anthem didn't for sure. It was all checkerboard 4K. Their first party games do run at 4K, but Cuphead or Sea of Thieves in 4K is far less impressive.

@NEStalgia Surprisingly, most/all(?) of the trailers and footage at Sony's conference usually runs on vanilla PS4. I don't think most dev have confirmed the console their game ran on, but the GOW director said their game ran on vanilla PS4. Uncharted: Lost Legacy also ran on vanilla PS4. ND released some 4K screenshots after the presser.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@NEStalgia Fair enough. I appreciate you replying. I think that we can come back to this conversation this time next year.

We have still got the Christmas period to look forward to (the inevitable three-way playground fight between the PlayStation 4, the Switch and the Xbox One X), PSX in December (Shu Yoshida has openly said that they would like to spread out their announcements throughout the year instead of putting all their eggs in one basket) as well as the games that are hopefully going to be released before E3 in 2018; Days Gone, God of War, Gran Turismo Sport, Spider-Man, the latter four of which are guranteed to be million selling games.

Let's see what they get up to between now and then. I do hope that they change their mind about cross-play with other platforms on Minecraft and Rocket League though.

@Octane Yeah, I was just gobsmacked that God of War was running on the 'bog standard' PlayStation 4!

On the other hand, I don't why I was surprised given that Horizon Zero Dawn looked absolutely fantastic on the original model anyway. My friend who joined in the Gran Turismo Sport beta is playing the game with comparable visuals to the very same beta that I am also playing on my PS4 Pro.

I just think Sony and their first party studios have that extra special motivation and spark about them.

Finally, as I usually do once-monthly, the new copy of Edge magazine droppped through my letterbox yesterday morning. Far Cry 5 is the cover game this month and, without further ado, here are the review scores:

Arms - 9
DiRT 4 - 7
Injustice 2 - 8
Tokyo 42 - 7
Tekken 7 - 6
Endless Space 2 - 7
Impact Winter - 4
Polybius - 9 (PS VR)
Star Trek: Bridge Crew - 8 (PS VR)
Farpoint - 7 (PS VR)

Next months issue is teasing Super Mario Odyssey!

Three great PS VR games in a single months issue is really good to see.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Wow, they don't seem to be very tekken with a certain high profile release cough

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah I'm having a great time with Tekken 7, especially coming from a lifelong Street Fighter fan however, as fun as the game is, the story mode is only ninety minutes long at the most (depending on how you get on with Akuma) and whilst there is a practice mode, it is just literally you and a freestanding AI character in a blank room without any virtual lessons or rewards for completing a certain criteria.

There's no Tekken Ball/Bowl, a basic arcade mode that no longer gives each character an individual ending, no time attack, no survivor mode, no Tekken Force (I spent my childhood playing through this!) and no Mokujin, which is a randomly generated fan-favourite character whom takes an appearance of a tree log.

Although I don't particularly enjoy playing the Injustice series, mostly because of its awkward and cumbersome mechanics, the staggering amount of modes on offer embarrasses the competition.

So yes, for me, a 6 for Tekken 7 is pretty fair in its current state.

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Geez, what's with big Japanese fighters releasing without basic modes and content lately?

That's one of the higher scores I've seen for ARMS, btw.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Octane

@Peek-a-boo And Horizon was an open world game!

By the way, my parents got a 4K HDR TV, so when I'm spending the summer at their place, I'm going to bring my PS4. I'd like to see what HDR can do to Uncharted 4. Gives me a reason to replay the game too.

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah @Peek-a-boo A lot of the Jpn FG are catering to the tourney crowd...which doesn't need all the story mode bells and whistles...just solid netcode and (preferably a decent training mode but not required either) solid gameplay and a decent character roster (10 plus...nobody is really begging for 25 characters the way non FGC people do unless it is a 2v2 or more because balancing...ugh balancing.) as at this point that is where the main money is. FGC players are going to buy every revision to stay competitive, while a non FGC player might get one copy and play that until they get bored. EVO has branched out to Japan and Capcom and even Sega (sega is sorta rando though since THEY WONT UPDATE VF) have their own tourneys that they host and other tourneys are popping up on the east and west cost in the US (and I'm sure in other countries as well).

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah God knows why so many Japanese fighters are being released in a barebones state.

Street Fighter V is in a really good place (to play) now, with more modes and a greater selection of characters to choose from too however, for newcomers, the online side of things is a rude awakening. I played Tekken 3 and Street Fighter Alpha Max 3 on my PS Vita last year, and the replay value is incredible because of the number of modes on offer as well as having a genuinely compelling arcade mode.

It sucks, but at least they are able to gradually add new content to the game nowadays, for better or worse.

@Octane Do try playing The Witness on your parents new television. The colours literally pop out of the screen in the best way possible, and the higher resolution makes everything look so clean. You would be sacrificing a drop from 60fps to 30fps, but it is worth giving it a look out of curiosity.

Ratchet & Clank is another one to consider, given that it looks almost like a Pixar film.

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm well aware of the global fight scene, and I watch a little bit of them on Twitter from time to time. Personally speaking, the focus of chasing after the competitive fight scene isn't necessary the best one, especially if you are a fan of some fighting series without any real competitive aspirations... like myself!

As I explained above; the gulf in terms of things to do in Tekken 3 compared to Tekken 7 isn't a good look. I'll continue to play it, and I will continue to enjoy it, but it is not going to hold my attention for years to come like the way that Tekken 3, the original Tekken Tag Tournament and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike once did.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I don't have a PS4 Pro though. No 4K for me. I don't know if the vanilla PS4 upscales to 4K, and if that improves the quality considerably. Either way, it doesn't really matter, because HDR is probably the biggest jump in visual quality, more so than going from 1080p to 4K.

Octane

WebHead

So second half 2018 for Days Gone and Detroit: Become Human.(Don't think Days Gone got a release window at the end of its trailer/demo)

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

BezBot

Nintendo have been the only consoles I've ever had along with a PC and Nvidia Shield tablet. I've been thinking of buying a PS2 used along with some ps1 and ps2 games. I would buy some of the best ones online and stuff but mostly go to places like Oogie games and Gamestop to buy the games. Should I do this? I feel like I've missed out on tons of great games that are too old to run on PC anymore and weren't on Wii and up.....

If it's a good idea, what games should I buy? I mostly enjoy adventure games but I'm open for other genres too

BezBot

Switch Friend Code: SW-4750-8467-7698 | 3DS Friend Code: 0147-3539-2436 | Nintendo Network ID: nobboysbro | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

Octane wrote:

Good news! All of the 2018 games are confirmed to be Q1/Q2 games! Days Gone, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War!

February - Shadow of the Colossus (Gravity Rush Remastered came out in February last year)
March - God of War (traditional date for this series)
May - Spider-Man (the first of the two-parter Avengers: Infinity War film is out in May)

I think it would be wise to avoid April because of it being whispered to be Red Dead Redemption 2 release date, and that Take Two often likes to release a big game before their annual financial report (in April).

Peek-a-boo

Octane

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Octane wrote:

Good news! All of the 2018 games are confirmed to be Q1/Q2 games! Days Gone, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War!

February - Shadow of the Colossus (Gravity Rush Remastered came out in February last year)
March - God of War (traditional date for this series)
May - Spider-Man (the first of the two-parter Avengers: Infinity War film is out in May)

I think it would be wise to avoid April because of it being whispered to be Red Dead Redemption 2 release date, and that Take Two often likes to release a big game before their annual financial report (in April).

If that's true, I expect Days Gone late summer (August or maybe September). TLOU2 is probably an early 2019 game...

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Looks like Days Gone could end up being shown at not one, not two but three E3 conferences!

Of all the games they had to show their hands early, Days Gone could have been held back to be shown for the first time (at E3) this year. And yes, The Last of Us Part II is definitely a 2019 game. It's probably going to be released in the same month as the first game, in June, which is exactly two years away...

And Death Stranding is another 2019 game too.

I'm not thinking too much about those games in all honesty. In the next two and a half months, before the crazy season begins in September, I have got Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Pyre, Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to look forward to. Possibly Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Matterfall too.

Too many games, and not enough hours in the day.

Peek-a-boo

WebHead

I have a feeling Dreams will launch in December this year or January in Early Access. Full release before November 2018.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Haru17

Don't you remember how long Kojima took to make Metal Gear Solid 5? Death Stranding will be announced for PS5 before it ever gets a release window. It's going to be The Last Guardian all over again.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

Grumblevolcano

@Haru17 Even Metroid Prime 4 will come out before Death Stranding!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

@Haru17 I believe Ground Zeroes came out in March 2014, then Metal Gear Solid V was available to buy eighteen months later in September 2015.

Moby Dick Studios (which ended up being a cover/pretend name) were also formed in January 2012 so, if we took that date into consideration, it took three years and eight months to go from nothing to Ground Zeroes (in two and a bit years), then Metal Gear Solid V eighteen months later.

Death Stranding was first announced at E3 in 2016 and had already been in preproduction since the beginning of that year. Three and a half years of development, and it fits the timeframe of '2019' pretty well.

Saying that, it could just end up being on both the PlayStation 4 and the next PlayStation if Metal Gear Solid V is anything to go by! If we don't see any proper non-cutscene gameplay at PSX this year, then folks may well begin to ponder if 2019 is a realistic (if vague) date or not.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic