Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,021 to 6,040 of 16,083

Haru17

Ralizah wrote:

Also, I'm less pessimistic about MH. It's definitely not a main series game, but it looks like an engaging evolution of the series. We'll see. I was almost offended by how bored that crowd was with it.

I didn't notice that in the moment but, yeah, that sucks. Westerners just ignore Monster Hunter despite it being continually amazing.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah @CanisWolfred I kind of agree with both of you. I was cringing so hard and the 2008 era QTE obsession. OTOH I do think that was a "major action filled story sequence" they wanted to show and as a result would be QTE filled. I don't really think Naughty Dog can be blamed on the QTE fetish. Insomniac has been no stranger to that on their own, and back in their golden age, most games from most studios fetishized on QTE. I think it's the nature of the game mixed with a studio stuck in the past more than "blame ND". (The GoW camera however can be blamed on ND.) I'll say Batman Arkham has it's own mini-QTE fetish so it's not really distanced too far. Spiderman is movie based at this point...cinematic action game was really it's native direction.

As for MH, eh. MH is MH..it's what it's supposed to be and has been groomed over a long time, love it or hate it. If it was its own game it might be cool. But it's a weird game that, if it's "evolving" the series, it's "evolving" a very Japanese game to be Western friendly. The Westernization of Japanese franchises rarely ends well. They may grow the brand, but I fear that means "real" MH just ends up Japan locked and this new format is what we'll get stuck with in the West. I like MH BECAUSE of it's bespoke intricate systems even if I suck at them. If it' devolves into a dinosaur hunting open world action game, there's literally dozens more open world action games that are a lot more interesting than the world/premise of MH. That's the thing. MH isn't strong because of it's world. It's strong because of it's specific gameplay loop. The world is kind of one dimensional and boring without it. This thing looks like they "streamlined" the good parts out to be "like other games" leaving only a bland clone of the standard action game template.

If on the other hand it ends up really carrying on the MH torch, that's going to get weird in Japan where nobody wants a console. Segmenting the already niche player base might not be a good business decision even if the large PS market looks good on paper.

The crowd was guaranteed to be bored. Layden may hold the series near and dear to his heart.....he's spent half his life in Japan. Most of the people in the audience have likely never even heard of MH more than in passing unless they've been in the biz since the PSP days, and really have no idea what the bland looking action game they saw was about

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred That's possible. I just hope the game doesn't rely too heavily on heavily scripted moments like that. If it introduces a proper open world and gives you a variety of activities to engage in, it could be a lot of fun.

But no, I'm not a fan of heavily cinematic games. If my decisions are negligible and the game is just leading me by the nose through a preordained series of events, I'd prefer to just relax and watch a movie/series. Personal preference.

Although, if Xenosaga episode 1 was any indication, I wouldn't even enjoy doing that. That game has 30+ minute cutscenes!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

I'm late to the party so don't mind me if the discussion is heavy about something else in the thread. Just wanted to dump my impressions. Miles Morales Spiderman? Here, have all of my money. That was my big takeaway from Sony's presentation but I expected it to be. I'm curious about Detroit but I haven't cracked the cellophane on Beyond Two Souls or Heavy Rain yet. So I can wait for a price drop. I'll freely admit I'm getting the uncharted game for the protags as I find the series boring...but I do have all of it. Ni No Kuni 2, MVC:I and Tropico 6 are PC releases for me. Still don't care about GoW, Destiny series, Knack or Days Gone. I play more Forza than GT so while GT Sport will be the most beautiful tech demo ever (imo) I won't be picking it up. The only way I'm getting COD is if it goes to switch...lol. So all in all as a Spidey fan Sony did great, as a general gamer...meh. Also Nintendo has officially ruined my ability to get hype about games that are over a year away. Their recent shift to what you can buy within several months has really nabbed my purse strings in a way that other games haven't as I'll forget about them without an Amazon preorder. My backlog is just too big to worry about games 12 months or better away.

I'll say this here since I doubt BG&E2 is going to Switch but I think I'm going to sit this one out. It doesn't feel like the BG&E world and I have the distinct impression that they Warrior Within-ed the sequel/prequel. It is sounding very persistent online a la For Honor/Steep which is a deal breaker anyway for me, however the characters don't have the same feel as the ones in the original game. Also the Domz and their connection to Jade really sold the story for me, so going to before her birth along with the world narrative changes makes the game feel very generic. Plus I really liked the action stealth blend it had going on gameplay wise. I have a feeling that is gone now. It pains me to say this but I've been burned (and wasted a ton of money) with a few series that I tried to stick with out of love for the first entry (PoP (baring the 360 and the movie spin off which wasn't bad), Mass Effect (I hated 2 and never finished 3 because I got so bored), Dragon Age (same as ME series)) so I think I will listen to my gut with this and save myself some money...and heartache. I do hope that those that will buy it will enjoy it immensely however.

Edit: Not wowed by MHW either. However the MH gameworld is really bland to me and I've yet to be hooked by the series...but I intend to give it one last try with XX for switch. Since I played 3Ultimate for about 20 hours (as opposed to my 20 minutes on 4 Ultimate) I am likely better suited to Monster Hunter Stories honestly.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

CanisWolfred

I can't even find a trailer of BG&E that doesn't block me out, so I'm just going to take that as a sign...of what, though, I'm not sure...maybe to go in blind and hope for the best?

...let me consult my oracle...oh...oh dear...

...well, at least it reminds me that I haven't finished the first game. Guess I'll knock that off my to-do in the coming weeks.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peach64

First time I've been disappointed in a Sony conference in years. I always judge them on new announcements and I think all we has here was expansions, a remaster and Monster Hunter, a series I've never enjoyed.

God of War looks amazing, as does Spider-Man but they were already on my radar. Maybe Sony need to stop spreading themselves over so many shows. Last of Us 2 being announced here instead of PSX would have made this more exciting.

Peach64

KirbyTheVampire

@Peach64 They basically set themselves up to have a disappointing E3 by revealing so many games years in advance. I'm really starting to appreciate Nintendo's approach where they don't reveal much that isn't in the near future. Big blowouts of game reveals are cool and all, but not when you have long periods with very few new games to show off.

KirbyTheVampire

TuVictus

The best combo would be a mix of very nearby releases as well as some teases for the future. Sony heavily relies on the promise of games coming in the future

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Peek-a-boo

I saviour a good nights sleep more than waking up at 02:00 for an hour and a half so, I have just woken up a while ago to read up about their show. First impressions? That was a little bit underwhelming.

After reading (nearly) everything? Still fairly underwhelming however, that's mostly because E3 and Tokyo Game Show in 2015, and E3 and PSX in 2016 were so, so good that this years E3 show felt comparatively ho-hum.

It's too difficult - and too unrealistic - to expect each show to be as good as arguably one, if not two, of the best E3 shows of all time.

The Good:

• Detroit: Become Human - big fan of the likes of Heavy Rain, Life is Strange, Oxenfree, The Walking Dead and The Wolf Amongst Us (Telltale series) so, naturally, this has got my attention.

The thing that impresses me the most is the diverse cast; the number of black people is nice to see too. Looks like this game is attempting to tackle the tough question of, 'what if racism was a thing?' My current feeling towards Detroit? Intrigued.

• God of War - after watching the trailer, I felt quite pleased that I have a PS4 Pro to take advantage of those ridiculously brilliant visuals, only for Cory Barlog (the director) to openly say that it was running on the original PlayStation 4. WHAATTT?!

As for the trailer itself, it showed just enough to keep my curiosity flowing, although I would really like to see a traditional epic boss fight at PSX later this year please.

• Spider-Man - if felt like a watching three games merge into one; the worthwhile influences from Batman: Arkham Knight, Sunset Overdrive and the original Spider-Man 2 are easy to see.

Given that they showed a story mission with an empathise on QTE's, I only hope that there will be other missions where you are free to tackle the objective(s) however you choose to do so. The visual are superb, Mister Negative as the main baddie is an inspired choice, and seeing Miles Morales being teased at the end was the icing on the cake.

• Horizon: The Frozen Wilds - the best tribe in Zero Dawn are the ones we shall be revisiting in this story expansion, hooray! To me, it looks like it is set in a whole new area that looks pleasing similar to the Yellowstone National Park. The menacing electrical volcano makes me wonder if it a cauldron 'gone wrong'. And it is being released this year too; talk about a quick turnaround!
  • SUPERHOT VR - the most refreshingly original FPS in years will soon be available to play in virtual reality. On the subject of the PS VR, it looks like a virtual reality version of Skyrim is coming along nicely too. Two new versions of Skyrim to play this year; playing on the move, and stepping out into another world.
  • Undertale - I have never gotten the opportunity to play this game (always wanted to) and now I can. Thoroughly looking forward to seeing why it is held in very high regard. Nice to see Undertale make a surprise appearance on the PS Vita too.
  • And that trailer for Gran Turismo Sport is absolutely fantastic! It is going to be a big success story for both Gran Turismo fans and Sony alike.

The ho-hum:

• Where was Media Molecule and Dreams? Where was the new game from Sucker Punch? Besides the likes of Matterfall and Undertale, where are all those indie games that were happily shown in abundance during their past few conferences?
  • Bearing in mind that ICO is in my top ten games of all time, and that The Last Guardian was my personal Game of the Year in 2016, I felt a simultaneous feeling of 'YYEESS!' and ' ... but why?' when Shadow of the Colossus Remake was unveiled.

Seeing as Bluepoint Games are the ones who are handling this, again, it gives me plenty of reasons to be cheerful about this announcement. On the other hand, I cannot help but think that something like Demon's Souls deserve a remaster more so, especially considering that it this game has already been given a fresh coat of paint in the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection on the PlayStation 3.

• The games revealed at E3 in 2016 make their second appearance this year, with the added bonus of proper gameplay footage, all of which looks great. Now that Sony are in their peak year with the PlayStation 4, are they going to keep churning out game after game, or is their focus beginning to drift onto new pastures? It's not necessarily a bad point though, merely an observation at this moment in time.

The bad:

• Although rumours are just that, rumours, but it was a little bit disappointing to see Capcom being mentioned beforehand with the likes of Devil May Cry, seeing the first footage of Resident Evil 2 Remake and returning to an old IP for today's market, only for Monster Hunter: World to be their big reveal, and not even an exclusive one at that. To me, it didn't look overly impressive either...
  • Noticeable lack of love for indie games (compared to previous showings). No immediate price drop for any of their current three pillars; PlayStation 4 Slim, PS4 Pro and the PlayStation VR. Nary a mention of the PS Vita (unless I missed something?) and nary a mention about their proposed PS+ revamp.
  • @Octane being wrong about Detroit: Become Human and Spider-Man coming out this year, ha ha!
  • The worse one of them all is the complete lack of showing from FromSoftware, given that Armoured Core and a new IP is part of their three games deal with Sony.

Funnily enough, even though I didn't watch it, it sounds like Ubisoft had a really good conference yesterday and had the added bonus of having NEW games to show too. Beyond Good & Evil 2 is actually happening!

So far, out of the four I have read up and/or watched, my favourites from most to least liked:

1. Sony (only just...)
2. Bethesda (sequels to The Evil Within and Wolfenstein: The New Order looked really rather good, and Skyrim on the Switch looks better than it has any right to be)
3. Microsoft (Cuphead, The Last Night and Ori and the Will of the Wisps - a trio of indie games - were my favourite highlights of an otherwise ho-hum show)
4. Eating an unripened banana first thing in the morning
5. EA Play (although 'A Way Out' and Star Wars Battlefront II looked great)

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

Maybe it's just because VR is new territory, but I actually found myself getting the most excited for the VR games on display. Seriously, there were 7 games that had me giddy like a school girl, to a level only Spider-Man has previously managed to eek out of me.

Superhot still gets me excited after all this time, and I would love to see how all that bullet-timey stuff works in VR.

And in that light, DOOM VFR looks cool just based on its teleportation gimmick alone. It's just nice to see an old classic reinventing one of the most basic aspects of its genre.

Then again, Skyrim VR still sold me just for giving me an even more immersive version of a game whose world I already fell in love with. I was already sold on the Nintendo Switch version based on its motion controls, adding a VR helmet clinches it...especially since I always try to roll with helmet in these games as early as possible.

On a similar note, Bravo Team looks like another realistic rail shooter, but I'm at least curious to see what that type of experience would be like in VR. Granted, my hopes aren't too high, since my money is that it'll be way too sensually bombarding, kind of like how a real firefight is...

And seriously, I don't know who thought there was more than one person out there who wanted VR Final Fantasy Fishing, but I want to personally mail them a thank you card.

In fact, now that I think about it, whose idea was No More Heroes VR? I mean, I still definitely want to play it, but that was one franchise I did not expect to see again, let alone at E3.

Now, I don't think they really showed much of Star Child, it looks too damn pretty for me to ignore. I'm already a sucker for pretty sci-fi, especially if there's platforming involved. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the robot they showed at the end is supposed to play a major part. Every since I saw the footage of Cry, I really wanted to try a game like that, where you're involved with both the main character, and a giant that assists said character.

That's also a big part of why I'm interested in Moss, althought the other half is that I used to read a ton of Redwall. Like, a ton. (Ghost of a Tale is also on my radar entirely for this reason). It really brings back the memories, but it also looks cute and fun on its own. I like you control both characters simultaneously. Definitely gonna have to rewire the ol' synapses for that trick, I'm sure.

...so yeah, I really hope this whole VR thing does well and takes off, because it really seems to be an exciting space that I haven't felt in ages.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

CanisWolfred wrote:

And seriously, I don't know who thought there was more than one person out there who wanted VR Final Fantasy Fishing, but I want to personally mail them a thank you card.

Seems like they just want to keep the game in the news as much as possible so more people buy the DLC

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Seems like they just want to keep the game in the news as much as possible so more people buy the DLC

Way to rain on my parade, dude. You're scarin' the fishes!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

@CanisWolfred

Did you actually want to play it? I assumed you were joking

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Yep, I was wrong! I expected at least one of the games (GOW, Spidey, Detroid) to make it this year. We get none. That would be my only complaint, it's still a long wait.

However, that being said, I did enjoy the show. I caught up on some sleep, so let's see if I can write my thoughts down.

They started off with Uncharted, and it was giving me 2 and 3 vibes with the car from 4. And I loved the car, so I think I'll end up liking this game more than I expected. I still don't really care for Chloe or Nadine though, but maybe the game can change that.

Horizon DLC. I thought there wasn't going to be any, but this wasn't the first time I was wrong this year. So we're exploring Banuk territory? Cause that's awesome, I wish there were more missions in the main game that dealt with the Banuk, because they are an interesting tribe (it was mostly Nora, Carja and Oseram). And did Guerilla just tease a giant bear machine? Can't wait! I hope it's a lengthy expansion. I'm hoping for at least 10 hours of content.

It was also good to see Days Gone and God of War. The former looked what I expect from an open world zombie game, big focus on traps and stealth, I like it. I was never really interesting in GOW, but I think this will be first one I play. The setting looks a lot more interesting than in the previous games. And Kratos doesn't look like a cartoon character with that beard anymore.

Shadow of the Colossus remake. One of the best games of all time. I'm sold.

Monster Hunter looked good. Lot of salt, but it's good to see more people liked what they saw.

And Spider-Man. Looked amazing. It was full of QTEs though, so I hope they roaming and other missions feature less of them. After all, we did get to see a story heavy sequence. I do hope even those missions can play out in multiple ways though. We shall see.

Amazing conference, hadn't it been for the fact that almost everything was a 2018 game. Would've loved to get at least one game this year. Oh well...

PS. We still don't know what Sucker Punch is working on, right? And still no release date for Detroit? Hmm...

Octane

PotatoTheG

Shadow of the Colossus looks amazing but... why? The game was fine on PS3, I don't see why that needed a remake.

PotatoTheG

Nintendo Network ID: CaliforniaPotato

Peek-a-boo

Octane wrote:

Amazing conference, hadn't it been for the fact that almost everything was a 2018 game. Would've loved to get at least one game this year. Oh well...

Although a lot of what was shown is indeed being released in 2018, after the chockablock first four months this year, we still have some more exclusives coming out this year, some of which will also be available on PC.

June:
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
Nex Machina
Valkyria Revolution

July:
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Pyre (from the creators of Bastion and Transistor)

August:
Everybody's Golf
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
LawBreakers
Matterfall
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Warriors All-Stars
Yakuza Kiwami

September:
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Knack 2: Electric Boogaloo
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

October:
Gran Turismo Sport ('coming this fall')

November:
Ni no Kuni 2

That is as varied and a diverse line-up as you can get, as well as all those big AAA third party games too. There are at least eight or nine games on that list above that I would happily like to buy, and that's without including any of the usual bombardment of games that come out in the last four months of the year.

For better or worse, I don't even think I need to consider buying a Switch this year...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo That's true. As some others have said, we have more than a dozen of exclusives to look forward to, but people still want more (me included!). 2018 looks great so far though. GOW, Spider-Man, Days Gone, SOTC, Monster Hunter. I believe all of them are early/summer games too.

Didn't know GTS was this year, that's good to hear.

Octane

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

@CanisWolfred

Did you actually want to play it? I assumed you were joking

Nope, I was actually serious, though I forgot to post my story about dreaming of leviathens while waiting in line for Sega Bass Fishing at Chuck E. Cheeses. I can see how you'd make that mistake without that context.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

Didn't FF15 already include some VR stuff? I can't remember what it was.

Octane

@Dezzy Square announced it last year, but they haven't released it yet. It's a separate thing from the fishing VR game.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic