Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,901 to 5,920 of 16,083

Octane

@Dezzy Nah, I was just thinking that if it's ahead of the PS2, it can definitely reach 100 million, maybe even better than that [the Wii]. I don't think it'll get to 150 million though, despite being ahead of the PS2. I should've worded it a little better.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Oh ok yeah, ambiguous wording. I think 100-120 million is probably where it'll end. Depends how long the generation continues for though I guess. If the new Xbox is massively more powerful, Sony might not want to tolerate that deficit.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy wrote:

The PS4 will probably beat the Wii over its lifetime.

Their next fiscal report in April 2018 is targeting 78 million shipped to retailers. That means it will only have to sell 11 million in both 2019 and 2020 respectively to pass the lifetime sales of the Wii. The home console that is perched above the Wii is the PSone at 102.50 million, which the PlayStation 4 is very likely to pass too.

Dezzy wrote:

If the new Xbox is massively more powerful, Sony might not want to tolerate that deficit.

The gap in power performance between the Scorpio and the PlayStation 4 Pro is exactly the same power performance gap between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, which is approximately forty percent.

The extra grunt from the Scorpio is to ensure that the majority of their games going forward can run in a 4K resolution, compared to the clever checkerboard method that the PlayStation 4 Pro commonly uses.

You won't be seeing a gulf in terms of visual differences or anything like that. It'll be all about the resolution 90% of the time, in which the Scorpio will offer (a better resolution) over the games running on a PlayStation 4 Pro.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Peek-a-boo wrote:

You won't be seeing a gulf in terms of visual differences or anything like that. It'll be all about the resolution 90% of the time, in which the Scorpio will offer a better resolution over the games running on a PlayStation 4 Pro.

That doesn't sound worth buying at all.

Ralizah

Neither PS4 Pro nor Scorpio sound like they're worth buying unless you own a 4KTV, and it'll be a long time before I'm bored enough to waste money upgrading from 1080p screens.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

Untitled

Got to finish my lesson planning, my pupils practice test marking and RiME before I boot this up though...

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

@Peek-a-boo ohhh shiny! Have fun!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Dezzy

Why does Tekken have VR?

Peek-a-boo

RiME - 8/10

Firstly, I am more than happy to admit that I am an emotional person; I always cry at the end of films like Up, Toy Story 3, The Notebook, The Land Before Time and The Green Mile, even upon repeated viewings.

Secondly, RiME is a 7/10 game set in a 9/10 package with an ending that makes you think about the subject matter as well as pondering in regards to the way this story was told.

Please, please do NOT read these spoilers until you finish the game! Finding out about how and where the ending takes place would ruin your whole journey.

My hypothesis of this game is that you are playing as the kid, but the game is about the father dealing with loss and passing through the (five) different stages of grief.

The chapter titles seem to imply my reasoning as well.

Denial (washed up onto an island)
Anger (the stormy windmill skies)
Bargaining (bumping into those two-legged things, and co-operating with each other)
Depression (a gloomy downpour, the fox fades away and the implication of suicidal thoughts)
Acceptance (epilogue; entering the child's bedroom and giving the boy one last cuddle)

I honestly think that there's two stories going on; the father dealing with the loss of his son, while the child is trying to make his way to limbo and accepting his fate.

And when you finally make it to your father in the child's bedroom during the closing scene, both the father and son come to terms with what has happened, even though the boy has already passed away.

That choral song as the credits begin to roll... gosh, you have to have a pretty cold heart for it to not make your lip wobble! I had a lump in my throat upon viewing the closing scene, but that music opened the floodgates.

Untitled

My only criticism is that it's a little bit too similar to Journey in the way the story is told, and that RiME takes more inspiration from other games rather than crafting it to be its own thing. It is also quite a brief journey - six or seven hours in all.

Last but not least, RiME doesn't have a single word, be it a verbal or written word, throughout the entire game, and it is such a wonderful thing. The likes of Flower and Journey did this unique wordless style of storytelling too.

From Night in the Woods, to What Remains of Edith Finch, to Little Nightmares, to GNOG, to Yooka-Laylee (not my favourite...) to RiME goes to show the incredible breadth and variety our hobby provides, and long may it continue.

@Octane Going by your post in the Switch thread, I take that you recently finished RiME too, hey?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Yeah I did, finished it last week. I agree with your post. I liked it, even though I thought it took a bit too much inspiration from other games at times. A solid 7/10 in my opinion.

I've read stories about how RIME was originally supposed to be more open in structure, instead of sectioned off into separate levels, and the world map you receive at the end also hints at a more open-world structure. If you add the collectibles and the perspective-like puzzles, I wonder how the game would've played if it was a bit more similar to The Witness.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Given that the original trailer for RiME at the Sony E3 Conference back in 2013 (!) was showing a large island (much like the first island in this game), along with an emphasis on exploration and puzzles that focussed on the lone white golden keyhole tower, I was very surprised when you walk through that brilliant bright white light and find yourself somewhere new.

That's why I was half-expecting RiME to be set on an island similar to the one you roam around on in The Witness. I will probably go back to the game again another day, to see if I can find the child's toys, the hidden statues or those 'white shades' (of which I only found two) along the way.

It helps that RiME is easy on the eyes too.

Untitled

For now though, it's time to play Tekken 7!

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@Octane The tears were streaming down my cheeks all over again!

You know those 'white shade' figures in RiME?

After you stumble upon them all, just as they swirl away into nothingness, you find out that those random white shade meetings is actually the child's mother and wife to the boys father... because when your father cuddles you at the end, the mother is also sitting on the bed hugging them both too.

What a great moment. Such a bittersweet scene.

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Lol the ridiculous fake leaks have begun:

Untitled

Haruki_NLI

Lol it says Origin.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

PushSquare wrote:

“The crowd will only have to suffer I think in aggregate 90 seconds of me,” PlayStation America’s affable Shawn Layden told TIME. “And in the middle will be all the games.” The big question is: will the live orchestra be there as well?

Sounds good.

@Peek-a-boo White shades? You mean those stone sculptures?

Octane

TuVictus

I'm glad they're not going to spend much time boasting about themselves. I got tickets to the theater thing for the 4th year! I'm so excited for the digital goodies.

TuVictus

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo So, Playtonic announced a variety of fixes for Yooka Laylee in the upcoming patch. Seems like they're listening, because they added an option to shorten the gibberish sound effects from the characters and there are a ton of changes involving the camera. When I saw this change, though, I thought of you: "Improved Rampo boss fight"

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FGPackers

Why does this not surprise me at all? Why?

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic