Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,681 to 5,700 of 16,083

Haru17

You realize we also literally have to see 15 minutes of Destiny 2.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TuVictus

Oh man I can't wait for destiny 2. As long as they change up the supers I totally see it getting more time than the first one.

Also maybe darksiders 3 features fury because someone called famine probably wouldn't be intimidating, looking all sickly and malnourished, hah

TuVictus

IceClimbers

@Peek-a-boo That picture shows stars... Pokemon Stars confirmed PS4 exclusive

In all seriousness, I think we're gonna get a heavy dosage of Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront II. Like, 30 minutes worth between the two.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NEStalgia

@ZeldaFan50 Because Iwata told us that the Wii was ideal as a second console, so all Nintendo fans had to go out and buy a first console, o we have a PS4 fan thread because Iwata made us do it.

But now Switch is my first console and 3DS is my second console and PS4 is my third console and I'm really running out of HDMI ports....

NEStalgia

Octane

Monster Hunter. If that's a thing, it could very well be a multiplatform title. Or maybe Capcom dug up Deep Down again.

@ZeldaFan50 Why is that a problem? We have a Switch thread and a Zelda thread over at PushSquare too!

Octane

Ralizah

So I only got PS Vita games in the sale (because, let's be real, I have enough unplayed home console games as is), but I did download a very nice Persona 5 PS4 theme.

@ZeldaFan50 Probably 99% of the forum's threads are unrelated to the PS4, so it should be very easy for you to ignore this topic. Yet here you are.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Octane Multiplat MH? Too soon. Nintendo's not going to let that relationship fracture yet. I'm sure Capcom will drive it that way eventually, but right now MH's market is Japan, and Japan isn't exactly buying PS4 in droves. They buy 3DS in droves, and now they buy Switch in droves more than either 3DS or PS4. And at this point that's probably the one 3rd party Nintendo actually pays something to the publisher for exclusivity on. Capcom toyed with the idea, and I'm sure someday it will return to Sony in some form, but not yet.

Deep Down. LOL!

@ralizah You bought multiple Vita games? Did you get a trophy from Sony board members for single handedly saving it? "In recognition of your efforts in allowing us to present positive sales figures at this year's earnings briefing for the PS Vita product line in the Americas"

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia The question is whether Ninty is actually paying for MH... I'm not too sure about that. Maybe it's because the 3DS is so different from any other platform that a port required too much work considering the sales of other consoles in Japan. But the Switch? That's essentially an HD home console; if something is playable on the Switch, it can also be playable on another platform in theory. I know that home consoles in general aren't very hot in Japan, but if it's another platform to sell the game on, who knows? Especially considering the PS4 just passed 60 million units sold. I'm thinking that it'll happen, unless Ninty pays for exclusivity.

Octane

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The Vita has a surprisingly strong cult following in the States. A lot of Vita owners don't really want to admit to themselves that, before long, all Vita-esque games will be making their way to the Nintendo Switch, though. Doesn't bother me. From day one, I knew what the Switch truly represented: the revenge of the Vita and the Wii U. In their last moments of life, the two innovative yet underappreciated machines came together to form a brave warrior platform that would seek vengeance against the ruthless PS4 and its brutal legacy of market domination.

NEStalgia

@Octane It's an unknown if Ninty is paying, but if they aren't I imagine for that one they'd be willing to when asked. But it does mostly have to do with where the market for the game is. Japan/handheld is still the game's core market and PS4 really hasn't done well there (hardly better than WiiU.) That 60M (shipped) PS4's puts the install base at rough parity with 3DS, but with a key difference that the majority of those PS4s were sold outside Japan, and primarily to buyers with little to no interest in Japanese style games like Monster Hunter even in those regions. Meanwhile in Japan, the 3DS dominates like PS4 dominates in the West, has a huge attach rate to MH, and outside Japan, the primary audience that has been exposed to MH has been the Nintendo audience. Hardware sales numbers tell us that market in Japan is easily migrating to Switch (3DS sales down, Vita sales WAAY down, Switch sales way up, PS4 sales static.)

So in Japan (the game's main market) it's really a no brainier that there's no point putting it on another system. The only real value would be growing the brand outside of Japan. The market research question would be: IS the average PS4 buyer someone interested in games like MH, or is the average Switch buyer more likely to be, from a Western perspective.)

It's not a secret Camcom's considered MH on other platforms, and we don't know if Nintendo would pay or not. For that I'm pretty sure they would. There's also dev costs associated with the higher visual expectations on PS4 vs Switch, so including PS4 just to "see what happens" comes with a large opportunity cost.

What troubles me about the numbers is that 60M gives Sony a 74% market share. Nothing good happens for consumers when a single company controls almost the entirety of the market. It makes me want to root for Scorpio. But then I remember what THAT company controls and tipping the balance to them is probably also bad.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom developed a PS4 version of MH5 specifically for the Western market. Capcom has certainly hinted a lot about going in that direction.

I don't care too much as long as I still get a Nintendo Switch version.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Hah! That metaphor needs to be emblazoned upon bronze and hung above the rack of every gamer's library....simply beautiful.

I was such a huge Vita fan when it came out. Such lovely hardware. I thought that was going to replace all my consoles. That feeling lasted a few months at best. Then the PS4 machine ramped up and Vita became a R.O.B.-like accessory for it. I returned to my 3DS & WiiU for all the good games and PS4 for ports of old good games

But your description is perfect. Switch is everything the Vita should have been, everything WiiU should have been, all rolled into one super console. I do hope it can be the competition Sony needs to not do what Sony does when they get too successful. A 1-platform gaming world would be no gaming world at all!

Vita still wins one and only one aspect: Wireless headphones.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah True. I do wonder though how successful such a version would be. It would get some sales in Japan from those that one the Pro graphics (the niche.) It would get some sales in the west from curious people. But despite us being PS4 "fans" here, stop and think for a moment of exactly who represents MOST of that PS4 market here in the West. How many of them actually have the patience and mindset for a game like MH that pretty much requires enough OCD behavior to make the most dedicated otaku weep?

Heck, I'm a "Nintendo Hard" vet, and I barely make it through half the campaign Yet I keep buying it.... Not sure if the PS4 audience is their audience at all. Playstation's audience today isn't what Playstation was in the MH era.

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia wrote:

What troubles me about the numbers is that 60M gives Sony a 74% market share. Nothing good happens for consumers when a single company controls almost the entirety of the market.

@NEStalgia The PlayStation 2 had a shy over 70% of the market share at the time, and what happened?

It only ended up being arguably the best console of all time with a ridiculous variety of games to cater for everybody and their Nan.

And this is coming from someone who only had a GameCube during that era. I could openly see that the PlayStation 2 was an influential and enviable console to own, despite being a Nintendo fanboy at the time.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@NEStalgia Who knows though. Persona 5 is apparently doing pretty well over here, so have games like Final Fantasy or Dark Souls. Yeah, they're no GTA V in terms of sales, but I imagine they made a pretty good profit by bringing those games over to the west. I also don't think that the difference between visuals on the Switch and PS4 would lead to huge dev costs. Games are made on PC, then downgraded to run on consoles, that's always how it works. Getting a PS4 port of a Switch game running (or vice versa) is pretty easy, in terms of visuals at least. Easier than getting a 3DS running in a presentable state on the PS4 for example. And games like Persona 5 managed to release on both the PS3 and PS4 with no issues at all, and the Switch is much more capable than the PS3 (heck, there are even a good number of games that released on both the Vita and the PS4 without any issues!).

74% market share? I'm sure that the Xbox One sales are at least half of the PS4 sales, so it's definitely less than 66%. Regardless, all the more reason for Nintendo to push the Switch as much as possible. Although, with the lack of third party AAA games, the Switch is already out of that part of the competition.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo You forget your history. The PS2 was awesome, though personally I still feel the PSX was Sony at their best (they were using it to regain their honor after Nintendo flipped them off, after all) and they already started some negative directions with the PS2 aligning their gaming approach with their film & music industries, which was not necessarily good at all. Still it was a great console. But what happened as a result of Sony being so successful with PS2? This:

Untitled

If PS4 exceeds PS2's market share, do you want to guess what PS5 will have in place of that gif?

@Octane Persona has always done the best of the whole SMT series in the west. It's an odd almost pastiche on JRPG culture that appeals to westerners somehow where the other JRPGs don't, and FF has been a mostly Western franchise from the start (well the re-start on PSX...NES/SNES notwithstanding) (which explains its questionable directions.) DQ always stole the thunder in Japan. We've seen a return to form of games from Japanese developers that have always sold primarily to Western audiences (Metroid reboot NOW Nintendo!) but it's not quite a Sony love affair with the actual games that sell in Japan. Take a look at how DQ11 numbers do on PS4 in the West for a better idea of how that goes. $20 says the 3DS + Switch versions will sell better.

The stats are 74% PS4, 24% X1, 2% WiiU. That excludes handhelds however, and the numbers run up to March, thus excludes the Switch, and is only looking at home console, so Switch enters with a very different set of numbers.

And yeah, Switch has to grow the market beyond what is the AAA market that Sony owns, though a lot of that market already exists between 3DS/Vita/WiiU and the un/under-tapped market from the Wii/mobile/PC market.

Edit: Edited details on history in middle paragraph.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Just curious, but where do you get those numbers from? The Wii U sold around 20-25% of what the PS4 sold (14 million vs 60 million), so that can't be 74% vs 2%...

I mean, yeah sure, Switch + 3DS would sell better than Switch + PS4, but that's not what I'm getting at. Let's say they make MH5 for Switch, what's going to be easier, porting it to the 3DS or PS4? The latter obviously. For the same reason why all multiplat games release on both Xbox One and PS4, there's no point in limiting yourself to just one console, and a port is relatively cheap, even if it doesn't end up being a blockbuster on the other console. Developing a Switch version and a 3DS version of MH5 would be like developing two different games.

Octane

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The Vita's library is actually really good if you like indies and/or otaku-oriented games. The biggest problem right now is that almost all of its games are being ported to other more successful platforms. Why buy a Vita now when its best games are on the home console you likely already own?

As to MH on PS4: I could see it going over well. The flavor of the moment among the hardcore crowd appears to be the tough-as-nails action game ("action-RPG," whatever), and MH is, among other things, a hardcore action game. Also, don't forget the series was a Playstation property until last gen.

I wonder if Nintendo is smart enough to pay for exclusivity? Even if it winds up being multiplatform, a new MH game releasing on PS4 would be a devastating loss for Nintendo.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@Octane It would be like developing two different games.

Like Dragon Quest XI.
Or Fire Emblem Warriors
Or Yoshi's Woolly World.

Switch/3DS is just as likely as Switch/PS4/3DS.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

@Peek-a-boo well, the result was Sony having a very arrogant attitude at the beginning of the PS3 generation. "you can get a second job!" "599 US dollars! "

I'm sure what he means is, if they have too much success, they'll be even more smug next gen. One could argue the same happened for Microsoft. 360 was king for quite a while and as a result they thought they'd be able to get away with their original Xbox one version. So now they spend most of the generation playing catchup, similar to how Sony did the same with the ps3

Edit: ahhh my bad, nestalgia explained his post. I guess I was too quick to reply without reading the rest of the page lol

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic