Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,461 to 5,480 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Ralizah So true about Uncharted....I wasn't actively thinking of it that way but that's a perfect discription!

Hmm, well, maybe you're forgetting XC2 and SMTV are still technically slated for 2017 (at least in Japan, West unknown.) that could alter your opinions!

But you're probably right...

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I probably won't even buy XC2. I dislike the first one (I've spent 40+ hours with it and... I'm really not feeling it!), and, despite buying the special edition at launch, have yet to touch XCX on my Wii U.

And I don't believe for a second that SMT V will release this year (has it even been confirmed as SMT V?). Heck, at this rate, I'm not even sure we're getting EOV this year, which is incredibly disappointing for me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah OTHER than the horrendous voices what did you dislike about XC1? XCX I know has generated mixed responses. I liked what I saw, but I know it has some issues deeper in. I'd double dip because I only opened it at the tail end of my WiiU being connected.

SMT is still listed as 2017 for Japan....so probably not for us...but we'll know about it And can import it if we don't care about the story I assume it's SMTV...it would be weird to be an offshoot, we already got an expansion for SMTIV. And they're not really into spinoffs these days. I'd be happy with Devil Summoner, and I'm sure they're not using UE4 for Devil Survivor

NEStalgia

TuVictus

This year is off to such a strong start it'd be hard for the rest of the year to even touch the quality of games that we've had these past 4 months. Re7, persona, nioh, botw, horizon. All easily good contenders for game of the year and it's only April

TuVictus

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Big, open-world, but nothing to do in it other than completing MMO-esque sidequests where you kill loads of creatures or farm shiny material orbs for people. Slow-burning plot where nothing much of substance happens for 30+ hours. There are unlockable character moments dotted across the map when you raise the affinity between specific party members (imagine if the memories in BotW had requirements attached to them), but so many of them require higher levels of affinity than I had that they seemed to exist for no other purpose than to tease me. The menus, systems, etc. in this game are arcane BS, and the game doesn't explain itself very well.

It feels like a decent forty hour JRPG plastered across a 100+ hour open world JRPG. It doesn't feel like it was designed to reward exploration or engaging with the world at all. I'm hoping XCX's apparent focus on side content makes it more enjoyable.

I think it's SMT V as well, but I don't like setting myself up for disappointment. Could be a remake or something.

Hopefully we'll hear more about it at E3 or TGS.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

Most of the mixed responses for Xenoblade X came from the fact that a lot of people found its systems hard to understand.

That was a problem that existed at the time for reviewers but now each problem has about 100 different forum posts explaining how it works, so it shouldn't really apply any more.

I found Xenoblade X to be pretty much as good as the original. Something like a 93% / 91% difference for me.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

My only complaint was the ridiculously tiny text that gave me migraines after extended play

TuVictus

diwdiws

@NEStalgia @Ralizah haven't had played XC1 is it better than XCX? I found XCX fun at first but got bored at around the 20hr mark. Havent touched it since

Edited on by diwdiws

diwdiws

Dezzy

@Operative2-0

Xenoblade X needed a big TV to play on.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

@Dezzy no. It needed font adjustment. At the time I played on a 40 inch HDTV.

TuVictus

Ralizah

So, general improvements in Persona 5 so far:

• A lot more interactivity in dungeons. You can hide and ambush enemies, figure out puzzles, etc.
  • More complex dungeon level design. Feels more like SMT and less like the drab, featureless hallways of Persona 3/4.
  • In general, at least based on the first one, the dungeons have a ton more character to them, and feel like actual places you're exploring.
  • Demon negotiations are a ton of fun. It feels more rewarding to convince a "shadow" to become your Persona than to just get them via cards or something.
  • The overworld is so much bigger and more varied than in Persona 3/4.
  • Guns are a blast to use.
  • While the tutorial is longer in this game, it actually gradually introduces you to stuff in this game as opposed to talking your ear off for four hours. It does a much better job of explaining itself than any other Persona game, which is good, because this game is PACKED with stuff to do.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Fair criticisms of XC1, and I generally a agree with most of them. IMO the game hit its stride about halfway through and finally showed "oh THAT'S what this game is!" Most of the MMO quests (I HATE those) can be ignored, and the system wasn't really arcane, but it WAS poorly explained. I'm hoping XC2 now that it's a "big launch title" rather than "here's something for otaku nerds!" will flesh out the system a lot more.

@Dezzy Kind of like Has-Been Heroes Yeah that makes sense though,the game is a little rough when it comes to informing players how to actually play it, and it's a fairly intuitive system. The questing system is definitely rough. I also jut think the genre confused people, and more to the point the genre shift from XC1's linear JRPG to the whole open world RPG thing either clicked or didn't click with people.

@diwdiws XC1 and XCX are games with very similar battle systems, but are technically two different themes/genres and paces. XCX is the big open world to explore, but you do so kind of aimlessly, subquesting from the hub world. So if you get bored of running subquests and exploration, there's not much else going on. XC1 was a pure JRPG, a linear narrative, heavily story driven with a ridiculously convoluted story, set in a high-fantasy/techno-magical world and a band of defined characters going from city to city along the path. it's a "semi-open world" you can go anywhere at any time and you can explore relatively large, open areas, but it's not REALLY open, they're still individually loaded areas, and you still march ever forward to get to the next area and advance the story.

So the art design and combat system, along with the questionable MMO style subquests are really the only thing similar between the games. XCX arguably had a more polished battle system. XC1 was rougher. But while XCX is relatively storyless beyond exploring the world, and fairly straight forward, XC1 was a character driven long linear narrative where you progress forward in the game to your destination with major plot twists and turns (and excessive overdrama at times.)

If you hate the battle system, and the kind of semi-open landscape grinding, no version of the game will save it for you. If the problem was the aimlessness, XC1 is very opposite of that, and XC2 will be a sequel of XC1. XCX is a spinoff.

@relizah Demon negotiations?! Demon negotiations in a PERSONA game?!!! Mind. Blown.

You're going to make me go crazy taunting me about this game. I want to play it! But there's no point starting a PS4 game now, or really any time for the next 8-10 months! That's why I have a Switch!

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia It's pretty funny how much more prominent the Xenoblade franchise has become in the West, considering NoA wasn't even going to bother localizing the original Wii game initially, if I remember correctly. Even after people complained, it only got a limited release at Gamestop.

And yeah, it's pretty cool convincing "shadows" to follow you. Never was a fan of the system in the first two games, although the one in P2 is infinitely worse. Collecting tarot cards in order to summon Persona was tedious, to say the least. Even the process of talking to demons in P2 was a pain, because demons only responded positively to certain actions depending on their temperament, which meant it was both exploitable AND annoying, because you had to memorize what actions appealed to what kinds of demons.

shonenjump86

I know the big PS4 game at the moment is Persona 5, but I'm playing a lot SNK fighters on PS4. I recently bought Garou Mark of the Wolves and DLC characters for King of Fighters 14.

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7254-3677-0897 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-2566-1897 | Nintendo Network ID: Shonenjump86

Octane

Kinda weird to think that something that was originally rumoured to be Uncharted 4 DLC, has pretty much become its own game. I thought it was going to be small standalone spin-off, but I doesn't sound it's going to be small. Here's hoping that it's actually good, because the only reason I cared about this was because it's a ND game.

Naughty Dog wrote:

"Years ago, when we were asked if we were ever doing a single player expansion for Uncharted we always said, 'Well, we don't have the self-discipline to do that'. If we tried to do that we'd create a full game," Mayer told us.

"There's no way we could, sort of, constrict and restrain ourselves, and that's exactly what was happening here. When we were doing story pitches, we were coming up with a game that would be over ten hours long and so we suddenly realised everything we said was true and we couldn't keep it short."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/naughty-dog-teases-uncharted-lost-le...

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane The Lost Legacy will do especially well if they target the price point that Ratchet & Clank was nearly a year ago, at £35/€40/$40. Funnily enough, that is the very same amount to pay for both the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and the WipEout Omega Collection.

I thoroughly hope this pricing-related tradition continues!

In other news, I haven't played any games for nearly two weeks now. The void that Horizon Zero Dawn left behind was an even bigger one than I had previously anticipated. I should make a start on 'Night in the Woods' one of these days.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Maybe! Isn't 10+ hours very close to a regular Uncharted game? UC4 was around 12 hours I think. Who knows though, maybe they consider this as a standalone product and it's going to be €60, or maybe they just don't want to devalue the IP. €40 would be nice though, but I could see this becoming Sony's flagship title of this year's holiday season.

You should start Zelda soon. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that game as well.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Blimey, I believe my first play through of Uncharted 4 (on hard mode) was nearly 19 hours or something! It certainly wasn't a brief globe trotting adventure, that's for sure. A Thief's End is easily the longest Uncharted game in the series too.

I told a little white lie and restarted The Witness on a new sale file last weekend. It is still perched up somewhere in my top ten games of this generation.

Untitled

I will start Breath of the Wild once I make my way through 'Night in the Woods', which isn't supposed to be very long.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic