Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,401 to 5,420 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Octane For me turn based battles all depend on the battle system. Too many Square games bore me to tears, the greats (Chrono Trigger, FF6, 7, 8, and the best ever, 9) I love, 10 always bored me. Let's never talk about 13. Ever.

Atlus/SMT specifically have to me a very addictive battle system. It's all about elemental weakness, and if you add in monster collection in mainline SMT, it's actually the granddaddy of Pokemon (Pokemon dramatically simplified everything and added its own elements, but the core concepts are inherited from SMT.) Persona is a spin-off from SMT that's a bit more JRPG-ish (SMT is really more WRPG despite being Japanese) but inherits the elemental weakness system.

If you've played any of the SMT games on 3DS and hated it, yeah, avoid Persona You might be able to grab a demo or something. Personally Tokyo Mirage is one of the best games I've ever played, and that's a Persona spin-off.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama You said "switch" and didn't make the click noise. $1 in the swear jar.

@FGPackers I happen to like SF0 too but it's a very acquired taste. If you go into it expecting an epic space opera flight shooter you're going to be disappointed. If you treat it like a sit-down arcade cabinet you impulsively shove quarters into you'll adore it.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

On the subject of Star Fox Zero, I'm kind of curious to play it, but the idea of struggling with the controls of a rail shooter doesn't seem too appealing to me.

@TheLZdragon I'll be honest: when I played the original, I was lukewarm. It was fun, but I didn't think too much of it.

Then, about a year later, I played the sequel. Probably spent three or so days just absorbing the game every second of the day. When I was finished, I decided to do all the grindy post-game activities to get the platinum. Nevertheless, I still wasn't satisfied, and went back to the original until I platinumed it.

My love for DR2 is so great that it even transferred over to the original!

I feel like the first game struggles a bit to find the right tonal balance between slapstick goofiness and existential horror. The second game really nails it, though, and is hugely compelling from beginning to end.

Ultra Despair Girls also feels much more sure of itself than the original game.

As such, I don't just have hope for the upcoming game. I have super-duper high school levels of hope for it. A hope that will radiate like the sun and eradicate all despair!

@NEStalgia I liked Persona 4 enough that I own both the PS2 and Vita versions. Also have both P3P and Persona 3 FES (although those are vastly different experiences). I can't imagine I wouldn't be thrilled to double-dip for a Switch copy of Persona 5 in a few years.

As it stands, though, I expect to see pigs flying first.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia But, but I wasn't talking about games! Books don't make the cute snapping noise...if they do it isn't a good thing.

Anybody playing/bought Toukiden 2? I got it on PC and then apparently forgot I'd pre-ordered it for PS4. Darn system has been on sleep mode for 3 weeks now. I think this multi system thing is finally becoming too much to manage without making an inventory database. Sigh, I had only wanted to be anal enough to do that for my books.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama The word "switch" must always be accompanied by the click sound. No exceptions.

I've tried and failed the inventory database thing more times than I can count. Every E3 I get real focused on building out the table. Within 4 months, half the games are delayed and I've already lost track.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I threw a bomb into a pit and a bokoblin went flying way above the pit, over my head, and landed behind me. Does that count. P5 ON SWITCH CONFIRMED!!!1!

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The clicking sound is deceptive, though. I've noticed it happens right before you actually click the joycons into place.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Haha, that's true. I think I must never click the joycons when it's not in the dock and sleeping, I never hear the click except for a few times. But the trailers have made it official. Even in common speech when anybody says "switch" you have to make the click sound. It's going to become a tic

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia It does feel like Nintendo engineered the perfect sound for its marketing. It's instantly gratifying and burrows itself deep within your mind, manifesting any time you even hear the word "switch." It's pretty much the video game equivalent of those visceral fizzing sounds you hear in coca cola commercials.

LzWinky

@Ralizah I'd be terrified to teach high school in Japanland

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I will admit to humming the song from the reveal trailer sometimes when playing in handheld mode...but I'm not snapping my fingers every time I say NS...I might drop it and then where would we be?

Also so I'm not derailing. Toukiden 2? Anybody? Just me then? Ok.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Dezzy

I actually like Star Fox Zero more than Star Fox 64. Don't really understand the weird critic responses to them.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Gamer83

@NEStalgia
Gotta say, I'm getting beyond sick of everything having some political bs. What happened to the days of just enjoying good games? I remember there were some on this very website who said they would 'boycott Breath of the Wild because you can't play as female Link.' So f'ing stupid, just as stupid as the 'I don't want to play as a female' crowd, except the former camp is louder and much, much more obnoxious these days.

Gamer83

Dezzy

I imagine Breath of the Wild managed to weather the boycott of 5 people.

Meanwhile, back in PS land, OH WOW. 94% for Persona 5

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/persona-5

This is a pretty massive year for gaming it seems. Given that we've also got Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Red Dead 2, Ni No Kuni 2, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Dragon Quest 11, this could end up being one of the best years in gaming we've ever had. Lets hope they all deliver.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy 'PlayStation Land' has been an overwhelmingly great place to visit this year!

Untitled

Resident Evil VII is on there due to its exclusive PS VR content, as you can play the entire game in virtual reality, which is a new - and separate - experience in itself that you cannot get elsewhere.

I am also 1.56% away from fully completing Horizon Zero Dawn. Outside of The Ringed City DLC, there's going to be a big void in my game time now.

I'm going to miss my time with Aloy...

Untitled

And the above gif was captured on the 'normal' non-Pro PlayStation 4; it genuinely boggles the mind.

Peek-a-boo

diwdiws

@Peek-a-boo ill miss her too! The only thing left for me to do are some of those hunting lodge missions. Might as well start RE7

diwdiws

Peek-a-boo

@diwdiws The Hunting Grounds Trials was really good fun. I especially liked setting off those log pile traps in time to roll down and crush the Grazers, or the trial in which you had to override a Thunderjaw to join you in an absolutely thrilling battle against three or four Ravagers at once!

I found the last training (deer) dummy outside a bandit camp yesterday too. Spent ages looking for the last one!

Oh, and I finally spoke to Teersa upon exiting the metal door inside the Mother's Heart mountain, and heard her recount Rost's tragic story as to why he was made to be an outcast. I didn't half feel choked up...

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

Are those hunting challenges actually difficult? I generally hate timers in games, so I usually don't bother with them.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane There's an old game developer's axiom: If your game is too easy, add a timer. If your game is too short, add a timer.

@Peek-a-boo Guerilla infamously makes questionable design decisions in a lot of their games, and often focuses on aesthetics over gameplay to the extreme, but one thing no one can take away of them is they're simply the masters of milking every last drop of performance from a console, bar none.

I'll have to try to find some Pro vs non-pro comparisons of it. I'm guessing the two aren't very different for that game. (And I'm STILL furious at sony that I even have to have this conversation about a 3 year old console.)

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic