Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

@CanisWolfred Hee hee!

I think Trico is a lovely creature; those hand drawn sketches of various creatures during the games introduction makes you curious about how the creature came to be.

I do hope you can bring yourself to play The Last Guardian one day.

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

Has anybody played TLG on the base PS4 who can vouch for the performance? I'm really, really tempted to get it, but not if the entire game chugs.

Incidentally, I find Trico to be utterly endearing in its own ugly cat-griffin way.

@CanisWolfred Angry about that last boss or something else?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah I have. Just to be clear, it's not broken or unplayable in any way. The frame rate can drop to around 25fps in big open areas (noticeable, but manageable), but the frame drops happen smoothly and the drops don't seem to be instant most of the time, so it's difficult to notice them happening. Not sure why the game does this, unless Trico's AI is more demanding than it seems to be. Indoors, the camera can do some funky stuff when you're getting into close corners, like getting squished between a wall and Trico. Then again, most of my playtime has consisted of a pretty smooth experience. Whilst the imperfect performance is unfortunate, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying every moment of it.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane That's quite odd!

Outside, the frame rate seems fairly consistent. Inside, especially in small confined rooms, the frame rate takes a noticeable hit. Those glowy-eyes armour folks makes things a little bit wayward too.

Saying that, I am playing this on the Pro so, it is generally a pleasing and smooth experience 90% of the time. If anything, it's the somewhat erratic camera that has me exasperating, not the frame rate.

But having said that, in spite of some of technical wobbles, I am enjoying The Last Guardian immensely.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Are you playing in 4K mode or 1080p? From what I've heard, 1080p mode on the Pro gives the most consistent framerate, a solid 30fps throughout the game. In 4K mode it's about the same as playing on a regular PS4.

But yes, many enemies on screen doesn't do the framerate any favour either. Although it does feel that the game handles inside environments a little better than outside, without the enemies that is.

Octane

TuVictus

So, thanks to best buys buy two get one free deal and the gamers club, I've gotten six new games yesterday for the price of roughly 2 full priced ones, split between the boyfriend and I, so there games for the price of one in my case. Last guardian and ratchet and clank. Which is probably the prettiest game I've ever played. It's like a Pixar movie

TuVictus

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Currently playing in a big open area, and the frame rate holds up pretty well, don't notice any drops. So I take back what I said, it apparently doesn't affect all outside areas. Seems a bit inconsistent though, it affects some areas, but not all...

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I'm curious to see how far you are!

Use the spoiler tag to briefly describe where you are.

Me? I'll just use one word that would (or will) make sense to you once you have reached (or shall reach) a particular point in the game.

Beast.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I think I'm around the same part. Feels like I've just passed a midway point.

Maybe this makes sense to you:
Tree

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Yes, it does indeed make sense.

I believe you may well be an hour or so behind me, as my spoiler is a little ways away from the tree and its surrounding area(s).

The best is yet to come!

Untitled

This is the area where you see the 'other one' for the first time.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

Anyone else playing Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero? I'm sort of glad I opted to get this on the PS4 instead of the Vita, because the game's HD visuals are gorgeous. I think the cartoony art style is really what sells it for me, like the more recent Rayman games. I watched the trailer for TLOU Part II and kind of shrugged. I mean, yeah, it's an amazing technical achievement, but it doesn't really do much for me. Games like this, Ni no Kuni, Rayman Legends, and Ratchet and Clank, though? I feel like my eyes are going to pop out of my head when I see them.

@Octane Thanks for the input. That doesn't sound too terrible. I'm not actually a huge stickler for perfomance, all things considered. I enjoyed both Disney Magical World games, for example, and those seem to chug constantly. Same with Senran Kagura Burst (although that's about the limit of what I consider playable, and I'm not sure if I could go back to it after SK2, SV, etc.)

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I know what you're talking about, and I'll probably reach that point tomorrow! But the game teased that particular event from pretty early on, so I already knew it was going to happen eventually.

Octane

Shinion

"But MY dog doesn't listen to me 100% of the time IRL lol" is going to go down in the annals I think. Alongside "git gud" and "you're playing it wrong" or "works fine for me!" as useless and reductive one-liners for dismissing genuine criticism in videogames. And at least git gud is somewhat amusing and is used more tongue-in-cheek nowadays. But trying to research actual critique of this game from Neogaf to Gamefaqs (bleh) to Reddit is a chore with how readily people are bringing out that rubbish. I'm staying cautiously optimistic about this game before I get to try it in a few weeks but I can't take people seriously when they call this game a masterpiece whilst using that line or a variation of it to dismiss others' issues.

Not even mentioning the fact that this dog has feathers and wings and shoots lasers so any attempts at realism went out of the window the moment the thing was designed. And the vast majority of people quite rightly can't stand Yoshi's Island for the times when you get hit and Baby Mario does that awful crying, even though a baby crying when it's without protection is as real as real can get.

I'm glad to see that people here are more sensible than the Gamefaqs eggshell princes, I'll post my thoughts about this game here once I've played it rather than there or even worse at Neogaf. Ain't nobody there got time for criticising this game.

Shinion

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

Anyone else playing Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero?

Did you back it on Kickstarter? Or did has it been out already, and I just missed it? I know it's on Early Access on Steam...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic