Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,721 to 4,740 of 16,083

Dezzy

The metacritic for Last Guardian is only 83. The previous 2 games both got over 90.

So maybe it's not quite as good. I still haven't played Ico actually. Might have to get hold of it somehow.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

My favourite review yet is from The Guardian, purely because the reviewer - the ever reliable Simon Parkin - openly loves both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and feels that each game connects with one another on a thematic level.

Fumito Ueda’s PlayStation 4 title has been a decade in the making. From the game’s exquisite animation to its emotional intelligence, it has been worth the wait.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/05/the-last-g...

Mr. Parkin admits that the game is a diamond in the rough too, just like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Shinion Well, I'll make sure to post my thoughts in a couple of days. Still looking forward to it though.

So I went back and watched some of the panels from PSX. It's good to hear from Horizon again, still weird to think that the game was announced at E3 2015, it feels like yesterday! From what I've seen, the game runs on their new Decima engine, and it looks great. Close-up of faces look great too, everything's very natural and detailed. And keep in mind that it's an open world too. I'm impressed!

Some important notes regarding Horizon; It's definitely a sci-fi game, no fantasy elements will be present. However, the game will have a lot of mystery and deep lore, and they're keen on keeping everything a big secret. They were also open to explore the lore through other media, but they're currently focusing on just the game.

Anyway, going back to the Decima engine, during the Death Stranding panel, Kojima was joined by Guerrilla Games and Mark Cerny and they talked a bit more about their new engine. The engine is also behing Death Stranding and the trailers we've seen were all rendered in real time. They also showed some more of Horizon and it really handles dense environments really well. Large crowds were seen, yet it still looked very detailed. I feel like Horizon is going to be a game like The Witcher 3, I will completely lose myself in that world for a good amount of time, February can't come soon enough!

Octane

Dezzy

@Peek-a-boo

How can you have a favourite review if you haven't played it yet?

@Octane

Hope it'll be that good. But hardly any open world games end up being as good as the Witcher 3 on account of sucking at telling stories and creating interesting worlds. That's what I'm most dubious about. Guerilla Games don't have much experience with either. They have experience with making good gameplay. Which is what we can see in Horizon. I'm betting it'll fall short in those other departments.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy That's why I would encourage you to watch the panel, and other interviews. They've acknowledged that this is their first RPG, hence they brought in new people that have a lot of experience with RPG development, people that used to work at CD Projekt Red and Bethesda. I mean, yes, it's their first RPG-like game, but they're gamers too and they play all sorts of games, plus the fact that they are aware that they may be lacking in certain areas means that they know what they can improve on, and that's a good sign.

Octane

CanisWolfred

I hope those that were looking forward to The Last Guardian will enjoy it through and through. That said, I can't really get that excited for the game, mainly because the giant griphon-like creature looks scary as hell, and I have yet to encounter a "pet" AI system that wasn't aggrivating. And this is coming from a dog lover. I'd be willing to put up with it if training and getting to know your pet was all there was to it, but it looks like they tried to have some level of conflict and stage design that I just don't really want to deal with. ICO was frustrating enough, tbh.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

Hope it'll be that good. But hardly any open world games end up being as good as the Witcher 3 on account of sucking at telling stories and creating interesting worlds. That's what I'm most dubious about. Guerilla Games don't have much experience with either. They have experience with making good gameplay. Which is what we can see in Horizon. I'm betting it'll fall short in those other departments.

I swear I wrote that exact paragraph a month and a half ago...

Granted, I'd still like for them to be successful, even if the chances are slim. I like Guerilla as a company, so I'd rather that they not blow the first chance they've had in...geez, over 10 years now, to make something new and outside of their status-quo. I won't pre-order it, and I won't get caught up in the hype, though. No matter what, they still gotta work for it if they don't want to go back to being "the Killzone comopany"...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

I said that I wouldn't buy anymore games before The Last Guardian, but I obviously failed...

It's just as good as I remember it, and is a perfect palate cleanser to Street Fighter V!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Makes the wait for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite even harder.

Peek-a-boo

WebHead

Idk if I should get Infinite. I like Marvel but not really big on fighting games either. Don't want to buy the game for the wrong reasons. We will see.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Dezzy

@Octane
It's certainly good that they're conscious of their potential flaws as a developer. That's always a good sign. Don't know if it'll work though.
The success of a game seems to be such a fragile balancing act of various factors. A lot of the best games seem to come from developers who've slowly built a team over time. I doubt you'd have The Witcher 3 if they hadn't gone through Witcher 1 and 2 first.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy Maybe? I haven't seen anything that worries me, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's definitely going to be a day-one purchase for me, so I'll find out in February if it lacks in certain areas. I mean, the combat looks good for sure and the environments and enemies too. Maybe it's a case of ''too good to be true'', but that's difficult to say right now.

Octane

Ralizah

There's a holiday sale on PSN right now.

It's not great, but I did pick up Axiom Verge and Yomawari: Night Alone for my Vita.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Maybe? I haven't seen anything that worries me, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's definitely going to be a day-one purchase for me, so I'll find out in February if it lacks in certain areas. I mean, the combat looks good for sure and the environments and enemies too. Maybe it's a case of ''too good to be true'', but that's difficult to say right now.

For me the problem is more that...I already expect those things - good combat, pretty environments, complex enemies, etc. by default. I seem to share a lot of Dezzy's concerns, and I feel that a lot of those concerns either can be decerned until after the game is out, or at the very least, feels like they're promising more than they could reasonably deliver. Time will tell. I just know that I'm not gonna get on the hype train until I have photographic evidence that its destination even exists, preferably with a road map & compass collabrating that it will, indeed go in the right direction. I've already ridden plenty of trains to nowhere this year, with at least one driving itself straight off a cliff.

TL;DR - It's good to be cautious.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

CanisWolfred wrote:

TL;DR - It's good to be cautious.

And I definitely don't disagree. I do wonder, what do people consider this game and what do they expect of it? Is it an RPG and should it therefore have an incredible story, or is it more of an action-adventure game that can get away with an ''okay'' story? I mean, Zelda isn't the pinnacle of story telling either, but those games don't get flagged for that. Is it because they're not RPGs? Maybe I'm not that concerned about the story, as long as it's not downright terrible. Exploration and combat is what I'm looking forward too. Maybe I'm a bit defensive cause I want the game to be good, cause it does look good in the trailers?

Although, I've been on a roll lately; Apart from Star Fox, I've thoroughly enjoyed every game I picked up this year, so let's hope that continues.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

In what world does "benefit of the doubt" = "will be as good as Witcher 3"?

I didn't know doubt conferred such benefits.

Haru17

Geez, don't be so snippy, friend!

With what combat we've seen, and Ashly Burch starring, I see no plausible path for Horizon: Zero Dawn to be worse than The Witcher 3. Unless it's just unfinished Konami-style, and even then it would have to end in a 2D art cutscene that "resolves" a major plot thread just to match W3.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo Seen here; The plot of Nidhogg.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

Maybe I'm a bit defensive cause I want the game to be good, cause it does look good in the trailers?

...Probably.

Granted, I should mention that personally, I'm pretty burnt out on Open World games, and I've come to realize that there are a lot of problems with the set up, especially in terms of pacing and structure (which I might or might not have gone into already?). While I won't say that The Witcher 3 is the only exception, if even the titans on the industry are missing that high bar by a wide margin, then Guerilla Games has definitely earned the title of "Underdog" just by deciding to bat in the same league...

Anyways, I apparently missed the part where Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was ported to the PS4 and released as a PSN exclusive last Saturday? Holy crap! I mean, I don't need to upgrade, but I'm still glad people now have ready access to it again, since it really is the best in the Marvel VS series.

Haru17 wrote:

@Peek-a-boo Seen here; The plot of Nidhogg.

Don't do this to me, man. It's 4 A.M., and I am apparently the only one who finds that weird fluffdragon thing's design to be kind of terrifying. My imagination is having a field day...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I went with the standard edition, but that steelcase looks pretty neat!

@CanisWolfred We've come a long way since 10 years ago though. I hope that the industry knows by now what works in an open world game and what doesn't. Especially now The Witcher 3 has set the bar pretty high, although its still not perfect by any means. There is still plenty of room for improvement. Anyway, I'm not burned out by open world games yet, I haven't played them all either, so that explains part of it too. Then again, I'm not too fussed about the games that focus only on large worlds (XCX for example), no point in being open world when the gameplay and the world itself don't have any depth.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic