Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,401 to 4,420 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah I should have clarified that Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PC and Xbox 360 - yes, that's the Xbox 360 - has no input lag whatsoever.

In fact, the Xbox 360 version is one of the best looking Xbox 360 games along with Forza Horizon, Gears of War: Judgement and Halo 4.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Calling Halo 4 good looking is... a stretch. Sure, it has nice effects, but that game is blue and orange incarnate.

Anyway, Nixxes ported the 360 version, so thank them I guess.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Peek-a-boo

@Haru17 The visual improvement over Halo 3 is leaps and bounds better; higher resolution, less wayward frame-rate, proper environmental lighting and none of the horrible pop-in textures that plagued nearly all of the cutscenes in Halo 3.

Artistically though? That's debatable!

I do prefer playing Halo 3 and Halo: Reach however, Halo 4 was - and still is - visually impressive.

I will always remember the awful character models in Halo 3:

Untitled

Compared to Halo 4:

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Well of course — Halo 4 was five years and two games later. Halo 3 was released at the beginning of the generation, no less.

All that fidelity, however, and they didn't have anything to show for it but a few anime-but-boring cutscenes and lame Tron monsters. Halo 3's cutscenes are waaaaay better written, directed, and staged — aspects I would argue make them "better-looking."

Edited on by Haru17

Peek-a-boo

@Haru17 Like I said, I would rather play Halo 3 and Halo: Reach than Halo 4 every single day of the week!

I was just impressed with how solid and smooth the whole game was, given that everything (technically) was overhauled and then some.

In any case, playing the original games is rather sluggish now, after Halo 5: Guardians introduced a (mostly) 60fps campaign for the first time.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Halo 5 ... campaign

...I don't get you :/

Peek-a-boo

Apologies for the double post, but there's a World of Final Fantasy demo up on the PlayStation store.

And today is my rare day off too!

Off I go!

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

I was a 360-only owner last gen (my folks did own a Wii, though, so I got to use that on occasion... primarily to play a stellar Super Mario Galaxy) and somehow managed to avoid ever playing anything in the Halo franchise.

I still have yet to play an Assassin's Creed or Battlefield game. And my last experience with Call of Duty was the original Modern Warfare, where I played through the short campaign and promptly returned the game.

I did like the first Gears of War, though. Sublime (at the time, now they're pretty standard) shooting controls combined with a dark and atmospheric environment made it pretty fun. I probably finished it two or three times. The macho quipping among the characters was annoying, but I got used to it.

Gears 2 dispensed with all of the atmosphere of the original title, though, so I never played Gears 3.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

I thought Gears 2 was campy fun, and enjoyed it for that. Gears 3 looked like it took itself way too seriously while being unintentionally campy, so I didn't play it, either.

...that said, I don't exactly miss Gears 2, and overall I'm glad the PS4 is doing well enough that I don't even really feel tempted by the Xbone. I don't need another box in my living room just yet. Seriously, my midea center is packed enough as it is...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred Gears 2 lost the balance the first game had, imo. Between all the overblown drama with Dom and his wife, the vehicle section, and the focus on bigger and more explosive setpieces over the more memorable and somewhat quieter levels of the original, I was really disappointed. Original Gears also had a level of scariness and grittiness to it that I thought was really well-done, and made sense in the context of that universe.

Maybe I should play these games again, though. I'm running on memories that are over half a decade old now.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

Eh, I never played Gears 1, so you could be right. You're certaintly right about Gears 2. Like I said, I don't miss it. It felt like the kind of game Michael Bay would direct, in all the best and worst ways.

On a side note:

CanisWolfred wrote:

midea center

Untitled

...I think I'm craving some more Gundam...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Man, I always tell myself to play some games and I end up doing completely different things instead! Had the entire day off, and I still haven't downloaded the World of FF.. Assuming you've played some of it, what do you think about it?

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane It's pretty good actually!

As long as you are aware that it is jammed packed with Final Fantasy fan service crossed with Pokémon (as you are catching monsters) and the classic turn based battles, you'll be in for a good time.

The demo doesn't have much in the way of story; it is mostly focussed on the battles. Oh, and you can change the speed of the fights in the menu - my first few battles were a little bit on the slow side.

I'm not sure I will buy World of Final Fantasy this year though. Maybe during a quieter month next year.

Fans of the long running series would really like this! The classic remix music is sublime too.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@CanisWolfred You have indeed already pre-ordered World of Final Fantasy.

How do I know?

Let's just say I changed the address from your house to mine!

I played some more of the demo today, and I enjoyed it more a second time, mostly because I changed the battle speed and unticked some of the checkboxes to make the game as little 'stop-start' as possible.

I do not mind the anime/chibi style however, I do prefer the Kingdom Hearts style characters, which you can change on a whim. Only for the main characters though, not all of them...

On another subject altogether, is anybody buying Battlefield 1 this week?

It has been receiving lots of praise (reviews) and good word of mouth for those who were able to play the game for ten hours due to EA Access on the Xbox One. Even the campaign is worthwhile this time round!

I also read that the PlayStation 4 Pro will up the resolution to 1080p, offers a locked 60fps along with added effects - might be worth waiting for that for those of you who may buy the Pro in November.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Apologies for yet another double post, but here's today's biggest news in the world of entertainment:

Untitled

I have never played the original though...

Seems like a long way off. At this rate, it may even be out before the NX!

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic