Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The Playstation 4 fan thread.

Showing 381 to 400 of 1,478

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

381. Posted:

I am not sure if anyone can answer this but why the heck are MS and Sony being such punks when it comes to used games? I dont see Blu-ray players not being prevented from playing used movies and I dont see car dealerships refusing trade ins. So what does it matter if your game console plays used games?

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

382. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

I am not sure if anyone can answer this but why the heck are MS and Sony being such punks when it comes to used games? I dont see Blu-ray players not being prevented from playing used movies and I dont see car dealerships refusing trade ins. So what does it matter if your game console plays used games?

None of the systems are blocking use games. The way Microsoft is doing it makes sure they get a cut of every paused game sale. Sony wiykd be stupid not to do the same thing.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

RR529

383. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

The argument is that the used game market hurts the game industry more than other used markets hurt their respective industries.

Pretty much, games cost so much to produce that selling them at $60 doesn't give them enough return to make profit. In reality, AAA games should be priced around $100, but the public views that as too expensive for a game (pretty much, the public wants them to make blockbuster efforts with the most state of the art technology, but not sell them at the price those games are worth).

With the combination of used game sales (mostly people buying for $5 off, the week after release), and the dangerously low price they're forced to sell their games at in the first place, stuff like DLC, Online Passes, encouraging digital purchases, and discouraging used purchases, have become a necessity in order to profit, and in some cases, just to break even.

I know that sounds like a stretch, but if you think about it, games used to cost extra if they cost more to develop (I believe DKC was originally $80, and Super Mario Kart $100, for example). Since there's now a cap on how much devs can charge for their games ($60), and games cost more than ever to produce, it actually kinda makes sense that $60 may not be enough, & that they need to find ways to make more money from their games.

Nintendo has been able to avoid this issue the last couple of gens (Wii & Wii U, respectively), because they've waited until the technology is cheaper to work with, and thus it doesn't break the bank to make their top teir franchises.

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

384. Posted:

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but it seems the PS4 is coming with the new PS eye instead of it being a separate purchase.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

385. Posted:

Vidoc from Guerilla Games about the new Killzone Shadow fall

WAT!

AuthorMessage

banacheck

386. Posted:

It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One.
This clears up a few things:
1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.

Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam).

banacheck

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

387. Posted:

where does it say no drm? I've only read about no online.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

MAB

388. Posted:

Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage

banacheck

389. Posted:

This is a crazy bit of news because it's not actually new but Sony went ahead and kind of circled everyone back around to an earlier point they made regarding used games and DRM. Hence, the company is answering new questions retroactively and confirm that the PS4 won't have any built-in blocks against used games.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used...

banacheck

AuthorMessage

Jaz007

390. Posted:

It says that it Sony won't require publisher to have you register your game online, but that Publishers will be able to do that if they want to. Which means a lot of games could be have a form of used game block. I get online passes and can live with those, but requiring a fee to play a used game in just too much for me. The matter is still very scary and until Sony makes another statement on the matter I'm not going to know what to believe. I'm really worrried about the next-gen getting ruined by this kind of thing.

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage

banacheck

391. Posted:

Jaz007 wrote:

It says that it Sony won't require publisher to have you register your game online, but that Publishers will be able to do that if they want to. Which means a lot of games could be have a form of used game block. I get online passes and can live with those, but requiring a fee to play a used game in just too much for me. The matter is still very scary and until Sony makes another statement on the matter I'm not going to know what to believe. I'm really worrried about the next-gen getting ruined by this kind of thing.

That tells you Sonys hardware will not have any DRM restrictions, 3rd-party devs do have the option to use it just like now. But the only differences is you'll be able to play that disc on any console and choose where you sell it, where as the other one has restrictions.

banacheck

AuthorMessage

banacheck

392. Posted:

The Last Guardian appears on official E3 2013 site, new trailer mentioned.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/03/the-last-guardian-appears-on-...

The Last Guardian has been moved to a PS4 release, according to former Sony employee Kenny Linder.

“It’s been PS4 for a long time now,” he said. “I don’t know, but I know it’s been in development on Orbis for a long time now. Its platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it’s been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/15/the-last-guardian-has-been-a-...

Here hoping it'll finally be released.

banacheck

AuthorMessage

Ralizah

393. Posted:

Damn. Guess I'll need a PS4 at some point...

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage

Jaz007

394. Posted:

Watching Kaz hirai gifs has made my day. His epicness has surpassed that of Reggies for me. My face feels a bit different because it has been smiling and laughing so much. My body was not ready.
Untitled

Edited on by Jaz007

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage

Midnight3DS

395. Posted:

Woops...

Even Microsoft is excited for Killzone: Shadow Fall]

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

396. Posted:

Question do you guys expect Gaikai streaming of PS2/PS3 games at launch. Really want to play this but don't have a PS3.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Midnight3DS

397. Posted:

I don't expect it too. I'm not a fan of the concept to begin with.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

398. Posted:

Midnight3DS wrote:

I don't expect it too. I'm not a fan of the concept to begin with.

why not. I mean unless you have crappy internet I can't see how you could not want something as cool as cloud games.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

banacheck

399. Posted:

I think Sony could well have some Gaikai games a launch, and Sony will be showing off more than 40 games at E3 for the PS4,PS3 & PSVita. If your into MMOs, PlanetSide 2, DC Universe Online & Warframe are coming this autumn, in line with the release of the PS4.

banacheck

AuthorMessage

Peach64

400. Posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 for PS4?

Untitled

Could it finally be time?

Peach64