Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,621 to 3,640 of 16,083

Ralizah

CanisWolfred wrote:

Thank you! While I didn't write it down, I was trying to remember the title of that book for about two whole hours after he wrote that post. Did they ever make a movie adaption? Not that I'd watch it, I'm just curious. I was also trying to remember if there was a movie about refugees escaping from a modern civil war, mostly centered on an older man and a kid...I could swear that was a thing, but google's failing me (as it has for the past two years).

Yeah, they did.

It was decent, from what I remember. The biggest appeal of the book was the gorgeous prose style, though, and the movie's cinematography was really nothing to write home about, so I doubt I'll rewatch it.

It's probably not what you're thinking of, but this game also reminded me, stylistically, of the film Children of Men.

Just want to say that I too prefer my video games stories when they're presented in a manner that could only be accomplished in an interactive medium, and I definitely agree with your examples (except I was thinking of the first Metal Gear Solid).

I mentioned MGS2 because it pretty famously got crazy and post-modern in its later half, often breaking the illusion of narrative to mess with the player and freak him or her out. Thanks for mentioning MGS1, though (still my favorite game in the series), because I forgot to mention one of the greatest moments of fourth wall breaking in video game history: Psycho Mantis reading your memory card and forcing you to switch controller ports.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah Same, I remember hearing about Children of Men (the book was featured at my school library twice, probly because of the 2006 movie releasing around that time). I could use some good sci-fi movies (all I got are Logan's Run and Space Balls on my shelf, and I haven't seen Logan's Run yet. Also, I just remembered Space Balls 2 is a thing. And Zoolanders 2. Weird, it's like it's the 80's/90's again)

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@DiscoGentleman Thanks.

@CanisWolfred
I'll avoid mentioning obvious movies (Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, etc.).

Good sci-fi movies:

Blade Runner

Gattaca

Strange Days (movie was a total box office flop, but it's an awesome, gritty piece of hard sci-fi)

Her (awesome social satire combined with an interesting meditation on the origin of intelligent A.I.)

Ex Machina

Looper

Dark City (I would actually consider this to be more dark fantasy, but all of the concepts in it fall broadly under the sci-fi umbrella and it has a neo-noir feel to it)

Interstellar

Transcendence (this one was critically panned, but I'm convinced the critics didn't know what they were talking about, as this was a very decent movie)

Primer (I actually didn't care much for this one, if only because the movie's time travel plot is so complex and multifaceted that people have to draw complex timelines just to be able to make sense of everything, but I respect the film for what it tried to do)

Just off the top of my head, of course.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention a very recent movie, The Martian. The main character's emotional reactions to his situation are totally unrealistic, but that's forgivable considering the film kind of hearkens back to golden age science-fiction, where cheerful scientific inventiveness could overcome almost any problem.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haru17

Haha, of course you like Interstellar! It takes someone with that little understanding of plot structure to rag on The Last of Us that hard.

Can anyone, can anyone get me the line from that movie where Anne Hathaway moralizes about love? Or how about the incoherent ending for the sake of convention? Thank god Damon did The Martian to make everyone forget about that mess.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

@Haru17 - Hey man, Transcendance and Interstellar are the only ones on that list that don't seem interesting. Granted, I've never watched any of them. Those two that I mentioned, as well as Blade Runner, are the only ones I've even heard of. But everything else...those are going on the top of my...very short list of movies to check out this summer....gotta make up for the crappy theater showings this year somehow.

Oh yeah, PS4...I have one of those. I use it sometimes....Strike Vector EX looks cool. Also, I just noticed that the main cast of Galak-Z are a Starblazers/Yamato reference. That's cool, didn't think anybody else outside Japan remembered that show.

...I'm only writing this because I just checked the PS Blog to see what the new member games are this month...I don't know why I bother. The only thing I'll be missing when my subscription goes up will be Overwatch, but I haven't played that in over a month, so maybe that's not- Watches Unreal Quake Champions trailer...well, my subscription's good until January...I guess that gives me time to save up...wait, the new DOOM has MP?!

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@Haru17 Hey, hey now. I won't defend all of the "love overcomes physics" nonsense in that movie, but it has a scope and grandeur to it that I really liked. Also, great cinematography and good acting.

@CanisWolfred New DOOM has mp, but it's not as compelling as the sp portion of the game. Which is kind of awesome, in its own way, considering how much the mp is emphasized in most modern shooters.

The last two Wolfenstein games didn't even have mp. Just long and gloriously stupid sp campaigns.

Edited on by Ralizah

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah - I actually meant that in a good way. I saw the trailer for the new DOOM multiplayer maps, and it looks really fun. Like...Quake III: Team Arena-style fun. Or at least a faster-paced Halo 2/3, whose online deathmatches I adored far more than was probably healthy back in high school.

EDIT: Also, Note to self: Pick up Galak-Z next time it goes on sale. Seems like it's made a lot of progress since I first saw it last year.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

Ralizah wrote:

Hey, hey now. I won't defend all of the "love overcomes physics" nonsense in that movie, but it has a scope and grandeur to it that I really liked. Also, great cinematography and good acting.

That's fair. It was a pretty movie, I just think the plot was ridiculous and hyper-dramatic. Like certain other things McConaughey has done...

Untitled

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred: Galak-Z was actually a free game on PS+ earlier this year. I still need to try it. It looks fun.

@Haru17 It's a really ambitious and personal movie for Nolan. It's not uncommon to see that kind of animating creativity in smaller projects, but for big movies with 150 million plus production budgets? Not nearly as common. As ridiculous as it might get with its cringey monologues about the transcendent power of love and black-hole-tesseract-extra-dimensional-deus-ex-machina-thingamajigs, it was still an engaging cinematic experience, and I really appreciated the enthusiasm.

I guess the same could be said of his earlier film Inception, but I found that one to be an incoherent, pretentious mess from start to finish. How you seem to feel about Interstellar, I suppose.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah The Prestige is better than Inception and Interstellar combined! I didn't like how Interstellar introduced the fourth ''time'' dimension black hole thing. It came out of nowhere, that's no-no for me in sci-fi films. It wasn't bad, but definitely not my favourite either. They should've established that time dimension better in the beginning I think. It didn't feel like a plot twist; a good plot twist is technically recognisable from the start, but you won't, because it's well hidden. This came out of nowhere; that stupid black hole library thing..

Anyway, before we carry off too much, let's try to get back on topic.

There's a movie thread if you want to continue this discussion in futher detail: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/movie_t...

Octane

Haru17

Yeah, I agree with the reviews in greatly preferring Inception over Interstellar. In dreams there's at least an inherent excuse for normal people acting willfully antagonistic. The two times that happens in Interstellar it doesn't make much sense. Oh, three. I forgot wife-beater man. He's very upset.

Haru17

Oh yeah, on topic... Are there any good games you guys don't hate? (If you say "Witcher 3" I will cut a witch.)

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

Oh yeah, on topic... Are there any good games you guys don't hate? (If you say "Witcher 3" I will cut a witch.)

Overwatch and DOOM. Dead or Alive 5: Last Eound is also my third most-played PS4 game thus far, right after Towerfall and Stories: The Hidden Path (which I just remembered I am over 90% done with, but I marathoned that game way too hard, and all of a sudden, every enemy is a damage sponge now. I only have two endings left to get before the true finale, but I think I might need to look up a guide for those just to save my sanity).

That said, I have a lot of PS4 games I've barely touched, simply because...I've been horrendously depressed, to the point where doing things I usually enjoy just seems to make it worse. I'm not gonna act like there's a shortage of good games or anything, since I'm not in a position to judge unbiasedly right now. Same with the Wii U, actually. I have 8 games still in their shrink-wrap on that one. I'm pretty sure Wonderful 101 is one of them (don't tell kkslider).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@Haru17 On PS4? Gravity Rush Remastered is great. As was the HD remaster of REmake. Alien: Isolation was an excellent horror game. I'm also thoroughly enjoying Gal Gun, although I'm not sure I'd call that a "good game."

Wii U has had some gems. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is probably the biggest surprise for me this gen, although Splatoon was unexpectedly great as well.

3DS and Vita have had tons of amazing support. Original Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 2, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Mario Kart 7, Virtue's Last Reward, Etrian Odyssey IV, SMT IV, etc.

PC has had a lot of great indies this last year or so. Undertale, Va-11 Hall-A, Stardew Valley, The Coma, etc.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haru17

@CanisWolfred I've been having trouble completing games as well. Nothing as seriously as depression, but definite lethargy. Right now I've stalled out on Persona 3, Severed, The Unfinished Swan, and Dragon Age Inquisition. I need something to break the dam.

Peek-a-boo

Anybody going to go on a journey to the centre of the universe in No Man's Sky tomorrow?

Really looking forward it. I suspect the game will be divisive though, mostly because of its indie roots (yes, some strange people perceive this to be a negative thing) as well as the media overhyping the game to be something that is asking far too much of a very small independent studio to achieve.

This is shaping up to be the best August I can remember!

On a separate note altogether, rumours are pointing at Wednesday the 7th of September being the date in which the PlayStation 'Neo' shall be publicly revealed in New York.

Going to be a tough test for Sony; anything over $399 - at 4.2 teraflops - is going to be a hard sell, especially when the original PlayStation 4 drops in price (to $299). They also have the PSVR to contend themselves with too.

A stronger machine, and one that is closer to 5 teraflops, shall be an easier sell if goes on sale for more than $399. I hope they can achieve something more premium rather than playing it safe, but that's just me!

Watch Microsoft swiftly cut their prices across the board by yet another $50 if the PlayStation 'Neo' is $399.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I'm going to wait for reviews. I've seen some gameplay, but I'm not sure if it's a game for me. There doesn't really seem to be a goal other than ''reach the centre of the universe''. Plus the price is too high for me to just get it and try it out. If it was €20 or €30 I would definitely have bought it just out of curiosity.

It doesn't really matter though, I'm still playing Hyper Light Drifter and I definitely want to play through ABZÛ a second time to find all the secrets. I'm also still playing Infamous Second Son.

As for the NEO, I do think it will be priced at $399 and sold as a ''premium'' console for the few that want to upgrade or the people that have yet to buy a PS4. The original model will get a price drop and that'll make it even more tempting to pick one up if you don't own a PS4.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Hyper Light Drifter is confusing me every time I play it.

It doesn't help that the map is very obtuse, and those triangle pieces are scattered all over the map without any real direction, which is fine if you can memorise those locations for when you boot the game up again!

I also wasted those golden/yellow bits on my health and bombs instead of a new dash and/or sword moves. Wish I could take those points back.

I chose to replay ABZÛ again instead. Such a nice and relaxing game to play...

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

I was originally planning on picking up NMS, but there are too many other games releasing in the next month. Valkyrie Drive. Steins Gate 0. Re-release of CP with extra EX chapters. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs. Dragon Quest VII. SMT IV: Apocalypse. And that's just September. World of Final Fantasy, Disney Magical World 2, and The Last Guardian are releasing in October!

Pokemon in November. Gravity Rush 2 in December. Persona 5 and Horizon in Feb. And BOTW will probably launch alongside the NX in March.

lol

I don't know when or if I'll ever play NMS as a result.

If it gets AMAZING reviews, though, and/or looks like a game I can't miss, I'll delay something else I'm planning on getting instead.

Definitely not a day one buy, though.

Haru17

I think I'm going to go in on No Man's Sky just to experience the moment. I don't think it'll be a very good game, and $60 is a lot, but who knows.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic