Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 16,084

LzWinky

Good lord, I have enough to play. I still have to finish Sly Cooper.

I do plan to play Tearaway, Dragon Quest Heroes, and Gravity Rush on the Playstations (4 and Vita). I also have to finish South Park on PS3.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Peek-a-boo

Gosh, I knew Hyper Light Drifter was going to be somewhat of a challenge, but not this challenging!

It is very easy to get crowd-rushed by the enemies, making things all the more difficult. I really, really like the pixelation visual style, although there is a hint of 'stutter' during the more chaotic moments.

I am a little bit disappointed that it isn't 60fps however, I doubt that these visuals would be anywhere as impressive (if they had gone down this route). Music is great too - very fitting for this kind of experience.

I'm also playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst; after getting over the lack of a 'roll landing' move that Faith needs to upgrade using XP points (who on Earth thought that this was a good idea?!), I am beginning to enjoy the game.

It's far too easy to get distracted though, what with all these side missions you can choose to do in between the story levels. The OCD 'tick box' person in me cannot move on until they are done...

ABZÛ next week, No Man's Sky the week after then Bound follows.

Too. Many. Games!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Didn't even realise ABZÛ is coming next week! Still need to finish Infamous and I do plan on finishing HLD before next week as well then. Haven't even got the time to start Mirror's Edge yet. And it doesn't help that it's a billion degrees outside at the moment.

Octane

Pokefanmum82

i just bought Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force. I was just wondering if you guys knew if it is easy to get into for someone new to the series.
I also got Hatsune Miku Project Diva X, Return to Arkham, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Dragon Quest Builders, The Elder Scrolls Skyrim Special Edition, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spiderman pre-ordered.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

CanisWolfred

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

i just bought Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force. I was just wondering if you guys knew if it is easy to get into for someone new to the series.

Honestly, I still can't tell if it's supposed to be a Rebirth-style remake or a sequel...the way they've talked about it, it might be a bit of both...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

Another update on the Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 front. Those who preorder get Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for free.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tasuki

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Another update on the Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 front. Those who preorder get Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for free.

I believe this offer only applies to the PSN store.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

LzWinky

Why the hell do they have preorders on a digital store? What's the point?!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@Lzeon Preloading the game I'd think, but that's not possible yet. The longer something is available, the more copies it'll sell? There will be people who pre-order the game, but would've forgotten about it when it actually releases, or aren't interested in the game anymore. Impulse buying would be my best guess.

Octane

Tasuki

@Lzeon @Octane If you preorder digitally you can play at midnight on the release day I believe. Also for people who can't get to a store I assume.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

LzWinky

Ni No Kuni 2 was announced and somehow I never knew about it?!

Octane

I've been playing Hyper Light Drifter here and there for the past couple of days, and the difficulty is brutal at times. If you're a fan of top-down action-adventure games, then this is a must-buy. There's a lot of secrets, mysterious lore and awesome combat.

@Lzeon PSX last year I believe!

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Which way did you choose to go first?

I went West, as it is a little bit more bearable than the brutal brick wall-like enemies in the East.

I shouldn't have started it to be honest, as I finally begun Mirror's Edge last weekend as well as feeling like I have to finish Dark Souls III before moving onto new(er) games.

Already pre-ordered ABZÛ and No Man's Sky too. I will never learn...

Peek-a-boo

LzWinky

I was playing Ni No Kuni and looking stuff up at that time. How the hell did I miss the sequel?! Stupid internet...

Well anyway, needless to say I definitely do not regret my PS4 purchase. Now if only they'll fix the AI in the sequel

Edited on by LzWinky

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I went north first, spent a lot of time on the boss and eventually decided to go back to some treasure hunting. I think I've cleared everything except for the boss itself and all that is unlocked after defeating him. Just upgraded my items and going to give it another shot tomorrow. I discovered that the triangles you need to find are actually in sets of eight and not four; so there's even more stuff to find now. Maybe I'll try west next, that's hopefully a little easier than north.

Octane

CanisWolfred

Lzeon wrote:

I was playing Ni No Kuni and looking stuff up at that time. How the hell did I miss the sequel?! Stupid internet...

Well anyway, needless to say I definitely do not regret my PS4 purchase. Now if only they'll fix the AI in the sequel

Honestly, I keep forgetting about it, too. It didn't exactly slip under the radar, but it's been quiet for a while. Last I saw it was at E3, alongside a ton of other games that I'm sure dominated the discussion. I'm sure we'll see more about it in September (actually, was it shown at that Level-5 event I keep trying to ignore?).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I actually went east to see if I could clean that area first, as you mentioned difficult enemies, but what enemies are you talking about? The frogs or the toads? Maybe it's because I upgraded my items a little, but I don't find them too difficult at all. They're annoying in large groups for sure, but I find them more bearable than those pesky flyers from the north.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I think I may have confused East with West, and West with East, sorry! I didn't play the game for very long either, as I want to be able to finish my games before moving onto new(er) ones, which has been a bit of a burden for me to do so this year.

On the subject of completing my games, I finished Mirror's Edge Catalyst this afternoon.

It's a funny old game.

I thought that whilst the first Mirror's Edge had some glaring flaws, and the odd inconsistently in level design, it was unique and fresh enough to stand out; no game prior offered beautifully free-flowing mechanics, and it was a genuine joy to move around.

The story in the original was pretty barebones, but you got to know - and like - the small ensemble of characters. The soundtrack is by far and away one of the best OST of last generation, and the music fitted the game and its futuristic world so very well.

A shame then, that Catalyst does everything worse.

I don't like the open world. The original game was linear however, it still had an open world feel to its environments as well as offering multiple routes (to one destination).

By being set in an open world environment, for the first half of the game, you literally have to backtrack every single time until a warping feature (to return back to base) is activated. This means the first couple of hours slowly become tedious and dull... and I don't like playing games that are dull.

As much as I like the colourful and vibrant visuals, a lot of the textures are murky and surprisingly low-res. There's an awful lot of distance 'pop-in' when you are running and jumping across the rooftops, and is especially noticeable in daylight.

Story wise, it is as bad as it gets. The twist is painfully obvious, and the ending is genuinely the worse I have seen since the abrupt and underwhelming climax in Rage. Catalyst is also guilty of throwing more questions at you by the end rather than, you know, attempting to answer them.

If you simply focus on the story missions, you can see the credits rolls within six hours.

For all the things that everybody goes through in the game, it is extremely jarring to see everyone looking nonplussed when you re-enter the world again after completing the story... although to be fair, this isn't the only game that is guilty of doing this.

The last quote of the game is, 'I'm going to run (away)'.

If they ever want to make a third one, which I seriously doubt will happen, then they need to ensure that a decent and logical conclusion is put in place BEFORE writing the story! If I have to see a similar ending to Catalyst, I would prefer the series to be laid to rest.

Funnily enough, my trophy percentage is sitting squarely on 50% and, just like the game magazines of old, that's the rating I would personally give the game. It would have been a little bit higher if the terrible ending did not sour the whole experience.

Peek-a-boo

LzWinky

If there is one demand I have for the new South Park game, it better not be broken like Stick of Truth for the PS3. I am so sour over the game-breaking glitch I experienced.

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I see, I'm on the west side now and I already thought you mixed them up, cause I know exactly what enemies you're talking about.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic