Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,901 to 2,920 of 16,083

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: How far are you into The Witness? I'm almost done, but it was a great experience, fantastic game! I've never had so much appreciation for level and world design.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane: I believe I have done the first 'outdoor house' that you start in, all of those symmetry puzzles (some of them had me grinning like a loon!), finished this temple-like place in the desert environment as well as those pink blossom trees that leads to the windmill and beyond.

I am curious to see where those lasers are pointing to (looks like a monument of sorts in the distance) and to find out if there is a 'point' as to how and why the world is created as it is.

How long have you been playing The Witness for? I can foresee it being quite a long game.

£30 was a bit of a gamble to take for a game like this, but I am impressed with it all so far!

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

No Man's Sky has finally got a release date, on the 21st of June!

Here's the AMAZING box-art below too:

Untitled

I am thoroughly looking forward to playing this after Ratchet & Clank in April and Uncharted 4 in May, with Dark Souls III in between those two. It will soon be a great time to play games!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: hm, not sure, could be anywhere from 40 to 60 hours. But let me tell you this, you're not very far yet, so you're in for a treat; Even if you think it's over, there's always more. There's around 600 puzzles or so in the game I believe, so that should be a decent way to tell how far you are.

I think one of the brilliant aspects of the game is that it doesn't always reward the player with a tangible in-game reward, but with knowledge instead. Haven't seen many games unfold like that.

I paid €37 for it, and I'm glad I did. I'm still discovering new stuff, even things that were always right before me, but I never noticed.

Octane

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: Physical release? Great! Hopefully it comes to Europe as well. Still not sure if I'll get it day one, but I'll get it eventually.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane: 40 to 60 hours?! Over six hundred puzzles?!

I have barely scratched the surface...

If the puzzles are consistently enjoyable to solve, and the world continues to be an interest place to wander around, then I shall saviour each moment.

I too love the lack of a 'reward' with the game preferring to acknowledge the player for his or her deeds by gradually opening up.

In the age of achievements and trophies for something as simple as pressing the start button, The Witness feels rewarding without any means of a visual or verbal reward popping up. It's great.

Looking forward to playing more later this evening!

Peek-a-boo

WebHead

Man May is a busy PS4 month:
-Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
-Doom
-Battle born
-Mirrors Edge Catalyst
-Dead Island Collection
-Presumably Valkyrie Chronicles Remastered
-Home front 2

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: There's a handful of really difficult puzzles I got stuck on for an hour or so; not all of my play time is actually spend ''playing'' the game, if you get my point. But yeah, it's a long game.

I've never felt that any of the puzzles were cheap, I've seen some let's play footage where people started the game with the mindset of ''these puzzles are going to be easy'', and they got stuck rather quickly. Never underestimate the difficulty is my advice; but everything is solvable, even though some puzzles appear to have no solution at first. Sometimes a good night of sleep is all you need to solve a puzzle.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Octane wrote:

Sometimes a good night of sleep is all you need to solve a puzzle.

I find that getting a good nights sleep solves a lot of things, ha ha!

I am now at the monastery where you find all those red panels that outlines the solution (and shifts the perspective) to the first few puzzles within the area.

It takes a special game to drag me away from Street Fighter V, and only Firewatch and The Witness have momentarily (but successfully) broken the spell.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: I got stuck on the monastery for a good while, as I didn't realise that you could change side where the panels open. I felt pretty stupid once I realised that was a thing as well...

Octane

Tasuki

Anyone playing Smite on the PS4? I tried it out for a bit last night, and it's interesting. Not sure if I like the third person view over the top down view of a traditional MOBA but I do like the different characters.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo: Yeah, it's gorgeously atmospheric, and the visuals themselves are stunning. I'm hoping the next Supermassive game is better at manipulating the PS4 hardware and delivers a more seamless experience. I also hope they opt for something more cerebral and less B Movie-ish next time.

I'm only two chapters in. Nothing bad has really happened, yet the game already keeps me on pins and needles, so to speak. That first time I had... Chris, I think his name was... navigate the cabin was quite eerie. The bad jumpscare with the animal was actually the least scary part of that segment.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

How can such a beautiful looking game like this wants to hurt your head so much?!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Firewatch, Street Fighter V and The Witness are three of the most gorgeous games I have played in my life, and they all came out within a month of each other, coincidently so.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: There's a little easter egg on that first image actually, discovered it today. There's a white and a red root coming out of the right side of the bridge, if you look at the reflection in the water of those roots (looking from the symmetry island, can't see it well from this angle), they form two koi fish. Stuff like this is just awesome, and there's plenty of that in the Witness.

But I agree, this and Firewatch look absolutely amazing. Haven't played SFV yet, but from what I've seen it pretty good looking as well.

Octane

Octane

Halfway through Uncharted 2. Really enjoying it so far. Definitely better than the first one. I planned to play 5 episodes, but I couldn't stop and I ended up playing about 15.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane: On the subject of symmetry in The Witness, look at what I stumbled across yesterday!

Untitled

I would happily live on that island ... 🏝

A couple more screenshots:

Untitled

Untitled

I haven't played Street Fighter V in a shy over a week now! This game is incredible for playing on your mind when you are not playing it.

I keep thinking about the occasional puzzle that I am stuck on, which I almost always solve straight away after taking a break from them.

Only got the 'Bunker' and the 'Treehouse' left to do before continuing onwards up the snow-capped mountain.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: Hah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I love that second screenshot. The big tree from the forest is exactly centered between those walls, and the forest on the other side of the island! There are so many viewpoints that play with perspective, must've been a pain in the arse to implement them all.

I really liked the bunker, took me a while to solve it, but it was definitely worth it. So that's something to look forward to.

How do you upload screenshots by the way?

Octane

Ralizah

So, uh, Marvelous really knows their audience.

These commercials are fun, but they make me all kinds of salty that the U.S. didn't get a version with the dakimakura.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

@Octane: You can upload your photos from the PlayStation 4 and plonk them onto a USB stick, or an alternative is to send them up into the cloud; I use iCloud since I have an iPad and iPhone.

I am now at the bunker! Those coloured-filter puzzles had me stumped for longer than I would have liked, and is the first time I became rather impatient with myself!

😤

Got tomorrow off and since it's supposed to rain here all day, I'd like to think I will see it through to the end, hopefully!

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

NPD results for February for the few that may well be interested:

PlayStation 4 - almost 410,000
Xbox One - a shy under 250,000
Wii U - about 70,000

The $349 Call of Duty: Black Ops III continues to outsell those $299 Xbox One bundle(s) that can easily be found both online and in-store with several games thrown in for nothing, whilst Nintendo needs the NX to be an enormous success.

So far, 2016 hasn't been a good year for the Xbox One:

a) Xbox Live has experienced 'down times' in long stretches
b) Losing the system-selling exclusives to PC, for better or worse
c) The closing down of two well regarded studios and the swift cancellation of two nearly-completed games
d) Continues to be outsold by the nearest competitor in its own home country that's $50 dearer

Both Nintendo and Microsoft have a lot to play for this year, especially at the likes of E3 in June and Gamescom in August. The video games industry is becoming more and more interesting by the day!

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic