Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,861 to 2,880 of 16,083

MrGawain

I must admit I haven't even plugged my PS4 in for the past 6 weeks, mainly because I've been playing Xenoblade, and will play Twilight Princess, Pokken, and Starfox before I turn my attention to my backlog of sale bought PS4 games in December- I'm using the PS4 to fill in gaps of time instead of it being the centre of my gaming world. At the moment, nothing with a concrete release date has inspired me to buy a PS4 game in 2016; I will probably buy SFV, Ratchet and Clank, and The Last Guardian, but I don't feel a desperate impulse to rush out and get any of them upon release after buying a few PS4 games that lost their value 2-3 months after release in 2015. PSVR doesn't appeal to me at all. Plus I'm still not convinced by the sterile, clunky, and a lot of times confusing menu's and PS online store access.

I still think Sony has to go a bit further to show broad appeal to the non 'PS3/XB360 Core Gamer'.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Shinion

@MrGawain: couldn't agree more. I'm still finding plenty to play on PS4, but I think its getting an undeserved reputation due to a lack of competition. The only Sony exclusive games I've loved so far on PS4 have been Bloodborne and Until Dawn, and out of the upcoming games, only Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2, both of which are ages away from releasing in the UK (screw you Atlas). In my honest opinion, Sony have barely put any effort in this gen, PS Now is crap, PS 'backwards compatibility' is crap, the PS+ titles are usually crap and PSN as a service is crap. If they were going gangbusters with all their studios releasing great games every other month I'd be sympathetic but they ain't. Step it up Sony.

Shinion

Ralizah

What on Earth does Ni no Kuni 2 have to do with Atlus?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@MrGawain: I'm the exact opposite. I haven't turned on my Wii U in a while. With game like Gravity Rush, The Witness, Unravel and Firewatch, I've got plenty to play during the first two months of the year. I'm also thinking of getting Digimon Cyber Sleuth, but I'm not even sure if I have the time to play that game. Uncharted 4 is coming soon-ish and Valkyria Chronicles too. With other upcoming releases like Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian and NieR, I'm pretty satisfied with the games that are coming out.

Of course, Zelda U is my most anticipated game of the year, and there's Star Fox as well, and hopefully more. I'll wait for a price drop on Pokkén and TPHD. But the PS4 has more games that I'm looking forward to.

Octane

Ralizah

TheLastLugia wrote:

@Ralizah: I was referring to Persona 5 obviously.

Okay. But Level-5 gets a pass?

Also, Persona Q released only a few days later in Europe, so you guys might not have to wait half a year for it.

Shinion

@Ralizah: well Level-5 gets a pass because they at least know Europe is a thing that exists. But I don't feel like nitpicking over my original comment, I'll vent my anger for Atlus another time, probably when they announce the US release date and still don't acknowledge us Europeans.

Shinion

Ralizah

TheLastLugia wrote:

@Ralizah: well Level-5 gets a pass because they at least know Europe is a thing that exists. But I don't feel like nitpicking over my original comment, I'll vent my anger for Atlus another time, probably when they announce the US release date and still don't acknowledge us Europeans.

Fair enough. I wonder why they still haven't established a branch in Europe?

Shinion

@Ralizah: well there's the obvious reason that their games don't sell well enough over here to justify it, but I can't have too much sympathy for them if that's it as there are smaller companies that at least try and branch out into at least one or two major European countries. The fact they don't even do that just means they aren't even trying. Even then, their most recent Persona 5 update that confirmed the delay in the US bore no mention of their plans for an EU release at all. Again, a mention that they're trying to find a publisher (Deep Silvercough-cough) would've been what I would expect but nope not even that. So when I read the finicaial report from Sega/Atlus bemoaning the mediocre sales it probably will have I have no sympathy for them that I would have if they tried.

I tried not to vent but I couldn't help it.

Shinion

Octane

Has anyone played Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth yet? If so, can you recommend it? It's getting decent reviews and I enjoyed the first two seasons of the anime and I do like an occasional monster collecting RPG. The issue is that most of the gameplay and screenshots I've seen look a little bland. It's clearly a Vita port, but still. Like to hear your opinions.

Octane

Ralizah

@TheLastLugia: Nah, I understand. Not surprised you're frustrated. Let's hope Atlus finds a publisher soon.

Dave24

Didn't Atlus said like year or two ago that they will self-publish in Europe and the only thing making the releases coming slow was translating to other languages?

Dave24

Ralizah

gamedealdaily.com has the downloadable NA version of The Nathan Drake Collection for $22.49. I downloaded it, but have yet to play it.

Peek-a-boo

I believe I have come to a firm conclusion that Street Fighter V is the only game that I shall need to buy/play this year.

For a barebones game, I have already put a silly amount of hours into it!

Amplitude, Firewatch, Gravity Rush Remastered and The Witness will have to wait their turn, even if those four games end up waiting for a very, very long time indeed.

I still have The Last Guardian, No Man's Sky, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End on pre-order too! There really isn't enough time in the day to play games anymore...

Peek-a-boo

ukemi

So I just recently purchased a PS4 and blitzed through the Uncharted trilogy.

Holy crap.

No, Navi. You listen.

Peek-a-boo

@ukemi: You mean, 'holy crap, that was amazing!' or, 'holy crap, that was crap!'?

I know the second game is the one everybody loves however, I am fond of the first game most, as it was set on a single mysterious tropical island and had an Indiana Jones adventure feel to it.

It was my very first PlayStation 3 game that I purchased (and completed) too. The U-boat scene made me genuinely gasp as to how good the animations and visuals were, especially the water effects as you ran back out again!

I really hope Uncharted 4 goes back to being (mostly) set on an island again, if only to bring the series to a full circle of sorts.

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@ukemi: I did similarly last month after getting the Collection for Christmas, and whilst I was in agreement with the vast majority of people here when I discussed it a few pages back that agree that the first hasn't aged well at all (despite the best efforts of Bluepoint with their work being commendable), the two sequels were a vast improvement over it and whilst they didn't live up to the highest praise I've seen them been given (best game series ever. Somehow.) I thought they more than made up for the pile of mediocrity that was Drake's Fortune, albeit the combat was never brilliant and the story dragged in both with them failing to provide epic conclusions to it all, having to rely on the supernatural far too often I just was laughing when the fire guys popped up at the end of 3.

I'd give 'em a 5, 8 and 8 respectively. I don't quite understand why so many die-hard Among Theives fans think that Drake's Deception is bad, they're effectively the same game in my eyes, just as similar as any Assassin's Creed, Mario or Halo sequel has ever been, if not more so.

Can't say I'm particularly excited for 4 but I guess this Collection has done its job in making me interested at all, even if I think it's worth £20 max.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

I know it is your opinion, which I totally respect however, Drake's Fortune is hardly mediocre whether you feel that its mechanics are outdated or not.

For a first game in a well-loved series, it did a better job of conveying a sense of adventure better than the sequels, of which the latter two felt like a James Bond inspired around-the-world trip.

I still think the U-boat scene is the series highlight. The claustrophobic way the camera plays on the whole scene is great!

I am really looking forward to the fourth (and last) game.

🙂

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@Peek-a-boo: well then here's where we agree to disagree, as I think that that particular speedboat section was one of the most annoying I can think of from a game that I've played recently, it controlled poorly, was unfairly difficult and led to stupid deaths if you tried to play it like it should be played (going fast) and didn't even have the wherewithal to tell the player they could fire a handgun whilst driving.

In the end, after countless deaths ranging from driving into those stupidly placed barrels, getting killed quickly by goons with machine guns that weren't balanced for this situation where there was little-to-no cover whilst all I had was a handgun and driving into the walls by going too fast due to the aforementioned poor controls I had to resort to stopping every 5 seconds to shoot the goons, judge where the barrels where and drive sloooooooooowly around them and repeat.

Not my idea of a white-knuckle thrill ride. Wouldn't play that section again if you paid me,

Shinion

ukemi

Holy crap, they were great. I actually really loved all three games, but I've only ever played the remastered versions. The atmosphere and setting of Fortune and Deception were my favourites, but I can see what everyone means when they say Thieves was their favourite; the action and storyline definitely surpasses the other two.

I think number three is my favourite.

No, Navi. You listen.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic