Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,741 to 2,760 of 16,083

Octane

The Witness is coming out this month, that's going to be an interesting game. Firewatch and Unravel are coming next month. Some great indie games are coming this year for sure. Wasn't Little Devil Inside a 2016 game as well?

@TheLastLugia: Good to know the second game is better. I stopped halfway through the first game a few weeks ago, I think I'll try some more tomorrow and hopefully finish the first game.

Octane

rallydefault

TheLastLugia wrote:

So I'm now 2/3rds of the way through The Uncharted Collection, as I completed 2 today. I could rag on about this one as well, but staying positive it's way, way better than Drake's Fortune. A solid 8/10. I'll probably think similarly about 3 as I've heard the gameplay was worse in 3 but it was technically more impressive, particularly in regards to presentation. It's a solid if rarely spectacular franchise in my opinion, I struggle to understand how this series has got as big as it has based on the first 2, I'd say I enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot and the 40% I've played of Rise of the Tomb Raider a lot more. Savvy marketing and 'The Power of PlayStation' working their magic I guess. I love Nathan Drake and the majority of the cast though, except cliché Russian bad guy. He left such a bad taste at the end of 2, what was that final boss fight about at all really? More evidence to add onto the huge pile that already existed that western developers can't do boss fights right. Overall loads of pros to 2 along with the several cons mean I think 8/10 is more than fair.

Yea, I got the Collection and I'm also wondering how the series became so famous. The first game, if I'm being honest, was a struggle for me just to finish. It was walk/maybe watch a cutscene, shoot stuff. Over and over and over again. I had to force myself to the end of that game. I found it more repetitive than even the original Assassin's Creed.

The second one, though, does spice things up a bit, and is currently the one I'm playing. But I haven't loved the series as much as I thought I would, being a fan in general of adventure games with light puzzle elements. Between the two new Tomb Raiders and Drake... Lara's games are way better, in my opinion.

rallydefault

Haru17

Yeah, Zelda U will probably win best soundtrack for most.

FFXV and Nier: Automata also have a shot if they release in 2015. Not so much western games.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Shinion

@rallydefault: Agree 100%, I do still think the Collection is worth a purchase and playing through (particularly as I only spent £24 on it, £8 a game is good value IMO). The less said about Drake's Fortune the better, the second improves in many ways and I'm still looking forward to starting 3 hopefully today. It's a good series that should be experienced by any PlayStation owner, and I find myself agreeing with Jim Sterling's review that it's great seeing how Naughty Dog have improved with these games, and not forgetting the pinnacle game that they have made in The Last of Us that I know inside-out. But Sony's claim that it 'changed games forever' on the back of the game box? Go home Sony, you're drunk. Either that or very good at marketing, which I say is the main reason for this series' success.

And in other slightly related news on the effectiveness of marketing, Star Wars Battlefront has sold 12 million in two months. Add that to the $50 Season Pass money that EA needed to make in order to feed their families and I've gone beyond resenting EA and now I do have a certain amount of respect for them. They are the masters of milking as much as possible from the AAA gaming industry, cut down content, preorder incentives, $50 Season Pass, $60 multiplayer only game and capitalising on the biggest film release in years. It's worked wonders as everyone knew it would, now for the crucial part of tempting as many of those 12 million to buy the $50 Season Pass, if they don't capitalsie on this, it could result in a genocide worse than the one caused by the Death Star on Alderaan. They've had one of the best selling games in years, now in order for them to have food to put on their families' tables they will try to make the Season Pass as close to compulsory as possible. God bless EA.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

banacheck

@TheLastLugia:

Your playing Uncharted 9 years after its release same as Uncharted 2 but around 5 years, the games are not going to have the same impact as it would have back then.

But Sony's claim that it 'changed games forever' on the back of the game box? Go home Sony, you're drunk

If your on about the Uncharted series Sony is right, Naughty Dog changed cut-scenes for the better. At the time you could not tell the cut-scene from the gameplay, at the time it was amazing no one had seen anything like that, now it's standard in some games.

banacheck

Shinion

@banacheck: I can acknowledge and understand that, and I'm 99.9% sure if you looked at my first couple of comments one of the first things I said was that it's difficult to compare and critique games nearly a decade after release. But I put it into perspective (and will do so again now) by comparing it to Super Mario Galaxy which came out in the same year and on a 'worse' console. Now I don't need anyone to tell me that those games are completely different, but a good game is a good game regardless of what genre it is, who made it and what their budget was. I would say it's fairly obvious which of the two (Drake's Fortune and Galaxy 1) is better as well as aged better, wouldn't you?

I would agree with you on the cutscenes, they were very good. In Among Theives anyway, can't say I remember too many of the ones in Drake's Fortune.

Shinion

Ralizah

@banacheck: Last gen games should be able to hold up in terms of the gameplay and story, though. Being nine years old is no excuse.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Shinion

@Ralizah: exactly, and even with the so-called 'remastering' for PS4 I would still 'only" (since this is apparently considered to be a bad score now on the Internet) give even 2 which people consider to be the best of the series an 8/10. I don't really get the hype and that is why I'll wait until Uncharted 4 is like £15 pre owned before I get it which shouldn't take too long. The series as a whole just lacks something to make it truly special for me, though it seems that most other people see that extra special something in Uncharted already. Perhaps I should transfer this over to the Unpopular Opinions thread?

Shinion

Octane

@TheLastLugia: I just beat Drake's Fortune too. I've got mixed opinions on the game. I think the best way to put it is; The game isn't good, but I liked it. The game doesn't do anything special, becomes quite cliché at certain points and suffers from some technical issues, but when the credits rolled, I didn't walk away disliking the game and I'm looking forward to playing the second game (especially since it's supposed to be better than Drake Fortune).

Octane

Peach64

5.7 million PS4s sold between November 22nd and January 23rd to take them to 35.9 million worldwide. Crazy numbers!

Peach64

WebHead

@Peach64: but but but home consoles are dead!

Anyway we'll deserved. I don't like some of the trends on it but I do love using the system. Glad Sony focused on a core gaming experience at a reasonable price.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Ryno

Nice work Sony on selling all those PS4's.

@TheLastLugia: I enjoy your comments on Uncharted. I think the Uncharted series is the most overrated series in all of video games. I have played 1 (just before 2 came out), 2 and 3 (at the time of release) and Golden Abyss recently. By overrated I am not saying they are bad by any means, just not the bee's knee's. I never really liked Nathan the character, the "platforming"/leap of faith to a crumbling wall or broken pipe is silly and gets old and the third person shooter sections are fine, though not above average. Cutscenes are really good though but I would rather skip through cut scenes on any game. Graphics on 2, 3, GA are very nice as well so there is that too.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Shinion

@Ryno: yeah I am of a same mind, albeit I do really like Drake (not in THAT way lol) and the other characters. The thing that kills the series for me really are what you point out are what I believe to be the two main gameplay sections- the platforming and the shooting. The former is just a bore fest by this point (I'm well into 3 as of this comment) and it wasn't even good in 1 or 2 when it was still fairly 'fresh'. And the latter (the shooting/combat) whilst better is exactly as you put it, above average. After playing Gears, the recent Tomb Raider games and The Last of Us, I just can't get into it as I've been spoiled by much better games in this area.

That's why I'm still laughing at this 'Uncharted 4 game of the generation' nonsense, and seeing people worship Naughty Dog sorry God (there's one person in PS4 IGN comments in particular with a Joel avatar who I fear for their health with their pathetic comments) as if they've done no wrong. For me, they've proven their credentials with The Last of Us, but my experience with The Uncharted Collection has not made me even a little excited for 4. I'll get through and complete 3 soon, and I'll be more than happy to wait for it to reach bargain bin price before I pick it up. Can't say I'm interested in the multiplayer either, I've got Halo 5, Splatoon, Star Wars Battlefront and will soon pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2. I gave Naughty Dog's multiplayer credentials a chance with TLOU, and didn't enjoy it. I'll stick to those 4 and from the trailers and word of mouth, I don't think Uncharted 4 has anything to rival a good match or two of Warzone or Turf Wars.

I'd only say the Uncharted series is overrated by the people who worship it and Naughty Dog (damn!) God in particular. For us more reasonable folk, I think we can aknowledge it as a good and rarely great series that only stands out in a few areas. Let's hope 4 can take the series to fantastic for the first time, but having now rewatched the trailers for it after playing the games, I'm not seeing anything new or exciting. Branching dialogue options? Yaaaaaaaay?

Oh and those PS4 numbers, wowie I've been proven wrong. It'll reach 50 by the end of this year easily, possibly even overtake the 3DS. Credit where it's due. Well done Sony.

Shinion

IceClimbers

@Peach64: Now imagine how much it would sell if it had actual games

In all seriousness, congrats Sony! 2016 is looking to finally be the year that greatness truly comes, even if a few games get delayed to 2017 (coughHorizoncough).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Shinion

@IceClimbers: yeah I think this is the PS4's most crucial year by a long shot. The 'this gen's still starting hurr-durr' excuses are long gone now, and it's time for Sony to deliver both in software and improving on PS4 as a console. The first thing that has to be said is that they do have a very impressive lineup of games, we all have ones we're really looking forward to, and I'm sure they have even more unannounced they are going to disclose over the next 12 months (Days Gone is a recent software trademark of theirs). There is very little need for lists that I'm tired of seeing Sony fans have saved up months ago to convince us for the support from both Sony and 3rd parties, Sony now need to make sure those games are actually good (no more Knack, Killzone Shadowfall or The Order 1886 plz), working at launch and released on time and consistently.

Then the improvements to the PS4 itself, and this is the area that worries me the most. It is a great console currently, able to do most of the basics very well with a few nice bells and whistles. But why is PSN still so unreliable? Why are the PS+ games crap most of the time? Why can't I change my PSN username or appear offline or put games in folders which the Xbox(s) have been doing for years? It's 2016 now and the PS4 still can't do those basic things, much to the chagrin of Sony fanatics who don't hesitate in giving it to twee-old-Nintendo, yet we STILL can't change our usernames? Talk about hypocrisy. Adding to that I've given up on PS Now having been subscribed to it for the last 3 months because let's face it it's a subpar service and I am genuinely disappointed in the PS4 as a next gen system. If these problems still remain this time next year, even if Sony finally deliver on the software side of things, that still won't be enough. The PS4 could be so, so much more. It doesn't even have backwards compatibility for crying out loud, and at this point it's safe to say it never will. That will remain a huge negative of the PS4 as a gaming system for me, regardless of what excuses people (and Sony) use to justify it.

Sony fans have begun to make fun of Xbox users and Microsoft for their 'customer satisfaction' approach, and whilst they have a point, it can't be denied that SHOULD be the most important thing for these companies, though Sony seem to be of a different mind as their recent statement on this matter confirms, because the PS4 is breaking sales records, everyone must be happy and the PS4 must be the definitive platform to own. I hate to say it, but I'm not of that mind, not yet anyway. So let's hope 2016 is the year when that changes.

Roll on Ni No Kuni II!

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

IceClimbers

@TheLastLugia: That's the one thing that cannot be understated - how insanely impressive the PS4's 2016 lineup is. It's not just he quantity of games either. It's the variety. The variety is insane - you have games going from the big AAA stuff to the super niche stuff and everything in between (and indies!), both Japanese and Western games, and games spanning many genres, regardless of whether it's an exclusive or a multiplat. There's something for everyone.

I mean, look at this list:

Uncharted 4
Street Fighter V
Ratchet & Clank
Gravity Rush Remastered
Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian
No Man's Sky
Gran Turismo Sport
Horizon Zero Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
Hellblade
NieR Automata
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Ni-Oh
RIME
WiLD
Firewatch
The Witness
Drawn to Death
Far Cry Primal
Doom
Dishonored II
Dark Souls III
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV
The Division
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Mass Effect Andromeda
What Remains of Edith Finch
Amplitude
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Persona 5
Alienation
ABZU
EITR
Boundless
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
The King of Fighters XIV
Tekken 7
Matterfall
Shadow of the Beast
Mafia III
Hitman
Battleborn
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Overwatch
Rez Infinite
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Toukiden 2
Let it Die
New Hot Shots Golf
Dead Island 2
Yakuza 0
Yakuza 6
Unravel
Mighty No. 9
Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Senran Kagura Estivial Versus
Paragon
The Tomorrow Children

That's not even all of them. Plenty to choose from, even if a few get delayed to 2017.

Gamer83

I'm not too concerned about the game lineup, there will be plenty to play on PS4. But I absolutely agree the firmware updates need to improve, massively. Folders, which should frankly be a day one feature, and the ability to change your PSN name, must be added. And the no. 1 priority should be external HD support. Everybody else does it, get with the times, Sony.

Gamer83

IceClimbers

@WebHead: With RIIIIIIIDDDDDGGGGGEEEEE RAAAAAAAACCCCEEEERRRR as a launch title! There's also giant enemy crabs.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic