Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,721 to 2,740 of 16,083

Dave24

TheLastLugia wrote:

II was still laughing at the pathetic monsters they shoehorned in and I was just relived it was all over.

Can't wait for your opinion about 2nd if you thought it was laughable - from 2nd game you will explode. Only 3rd game sorta dropped that.
2nd game got way, way too far with taking out entire army and shoehorned monsters. Even Gears of War doesn't have bodycount that high.
I don't know what is that amateur hour you constantly repeat, though. It's still great game, but the awesomness of avrage of tlou gameplay wise shows what are your standards.

Changed the HDD for PS4 yesterday, because by complete accident I noticed you can back up the hdd and then dump it on new one. And changing drives doesn't take 20 min. At all.

Downloaded Transformers, because it was dirt cheap on sale (cheaper than PC - take that mustard race), and consoles are not supposed to have sales!

Dave24

Shinion

@Dave24: well from my playing it, it just reeked of a development team's first attempt at a new genre with a (relatively) low budget. Which was exactly what it was to be fair. None of the puzzles were clever, none of the set plays were memorable (were there even any at all? At least comparing to say the famous train scene at the beginning of 2), the gunfights were as basic as you can get, with waves of enemies coming out of nowhere and no cohesion to the whole thing. It speaks volumes that the only truly thrilling part of the game was when Elena busts you out of the jail and you shoot up cars in the most scripted part of the game, everytime you had control, you were just going through the motions, solving terrible puzzles or partaking in a spot of wave based combat. Though yes whilst the whole experience was average at best, maybe even good for its time, the 3 sections that I consider to be amateurish were the infamous jet ski section along with the aforementioned ending (they didn't even try with it let's be honest) and the chapter(s) where you're shooting the monsters. They looked no better than ones you see on the crappy Unity games plaguing Steam, in terms of being visually appealing and creative, and they have the most basic AI of 'go to player and attack', which completely throws the cover based aspect of the game for a loop. And everyone playing the game NEEDS to shoot them with a shotgun, it was like playing the first couple House of the Dead games in the arcade, who needs believable animation?

But yes I accept that it's harder to criticise older games when you've been spoiled by the newer ones, as The Last of Us is just undoubtedly several leagues above Drake's Fortune and that is probably why I've played through TLOU 3 times in just over a year (played it for the first time with remastered in 2014) and will probably never play Drake's Fortune again. I might be being harsh on it but good grief, it came out in the same year as Super Mario Galaxy and after the original Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, Wind Waker, Shadow of the Colossus and more that not only stand the test of time to this day but will continue to do so for many years to come. I just have a hard time envisaging a time when this was considered to be 'high quality'. Hopefully the second continues to be better, I've played upto chapter 4 and can see it's an improvement.

Oh and good call on getting Transformers Devestation, it's a great little game

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Dave24

@TheLastLugia: Even though I played it like 5 years ago, I still remember Uboat/submarine, escape with jet ski (although I agree it's pointless and can be annoying), the beginning - in my eyes it's a good game and only thing that I hated was total Resident Evil turn of events and crapshoot of monsters.
Funny thing is, this

the gunfights were as basic as you can get, with waves of enemies coming out of nowhere and no cohesion to the whole thing

solving terrible puzzles or partaking in a spot of wave based combat

have the most basic AI of 'go to player and attack', which completely throws the cover based aspect of the game for a loop. And everyone playing the game NEEDS to shoot them with a shotgun

Although with the last quote, you won't live long without grenade/rocket launcher.
This is excatly what can be said about Uncharted 2. Yes, there were improvements, like dropping that godawful sixaxxis, but for the setup of the franchise, it got the spirit and personality. Although I don't get hate towards the first, when the 2nd game repeated the mistakes (jet ski not included) and made it worse, or the third one. You're not spoiled by the new ones, you're influenced by the hype/opinions and were setup do disappointment before even touching it. All the complains you have can be also attached to The Last of Us, although it's actually more broken with some things. But hey, that's your opinion and your choice what you like or not and nothing wrong with ithad to say it and state the obvious, so nobody will accuse me of being ahole and forcing my opinion etc.
Personally, I prefer the 3rd, because while there was some shooting, there was no crappy Uncharted 1 and 2 monster shootouts (or at least not that hard/epic facepalm, without spoiling anything) or ridiciolous taking out entire armies of enemies.

Anyway, I enjoy Devastation, even though devastator is kicking my butt. Probably because I set highest difficulty setting, because I enjoy some punishment or idiot. Weirdest thing is witch time. Can't get used to it after playing Bayonettas for hunderds hours - timing feels little diffrent.
HDD change advice - don't bother with philips screwdriver, it will save you misery.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24

banacheck

MadAussieBloke wrote:

After being hooked on that Uncharted 4 beta, that is the only multiplayer I will need for a long time when the game gets released... Still deep into Fallout 4 and Bloodborne The Old Hunters at the moment

Your post is like sipping on fine wine.

banacheck

Shinion

@MadAussieBloke: anything non-PS4 on your horizon (Zero Dawn)? Fair play there managing to get such a variety of games in respect to their genre and status, especially Unravel. I'll only be getting Resident Evil 0 and Gravity Rush on my PS4 in the first 6 months of next year, kinda sad that neither of which are new games but that's how it goes most of the time on PS4 it seems. Hopefully Fire Emblem Fates, Zelda U and Ni No Kuni 2 won't be too far off though I still have the majority of 2015's best games to play.

Shinion

Gamer83

@TheLastLugia:
This is a PS4 thread, I know you'd love to see everybody kiss Nintendo's a$$ at every turn but that's not the way it works.

Gamer83

Shinion

Wow I dunno where the hostility came from there dudes and dudettes, just chill out and continue to do your lists of every remaster and port coming to the PS4, maybe it will make you feel better?

I swear if 'Unravel' was made by Nintendo and called 'Kirby's Epic Yarn', or 'Yoshi's Wooly World' you guys would pretend it doesn't exist or it would automatically be a bad game.

But of course thank God for the third party games I will endlessly see lists of, otherwise there would literally be 0 Sony games I would be looking forward to releasing next year, as I'm only interested in Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian and Ni No Kuni 2, and those ain't coming out anytime soon without a delay or seven

So yeah your beloved Sony and PS4, they ain't all you think they are in my eyes, sorry for suggesting a change of pace and trying to broaden the discussion a bit. Here I was hoping you remind me of things I forgot like Cuphead or Recore on Xbox One, a few games on Steam or le gasp maybe just maybe that guy actually liked playing Nintendo games, after all he said he's looking forward to Unravel, it's not an unreasonable assumption to make. From his oh-so-brilliant response however, I can see exactly what he thinks of Nintendo oh sorry Nintendoomed. I'll keep it strictly to PS4 now guys, no discussions allowed on any other games or game companies. Wait are there any other companies in this industry other than Sony and the 3rd parties that constantly kiss their a*****? I've forgotten them already.

Remember when videogames were about fun and people thought the Internet was a place where you could dsiscuss such things freely wherever you wanted? Thanks to this forum, I now know that's not the way it works. Obviously.

Happy gam- oh sorry- Sonying everyone

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Ralizah

@TheLastLugia: Ports and remasters... like Twilight Princess HD? Hyrule Warriors Legends?

Your comment is a bit silly, seeing as how 2016 is going to be the year that the PS4 finally starts getting quality exclusives that aren't called Bloodborne and P.T.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

@MadAussieBloke: I know! I think he got just a bit bitter about that winking smiley you used.

Personally, once my GOTY hits PS4, people won't be hearing from me for days...

Untitled

60fps 1080p sexy ninja brawling action!

Dave24

Ralizah wrote:

@MadAussieBloke: I know! I think he got just a bit bitter about that winking smiley you used.

Personally, once my GOTY hits PS4, people won't be hearing from me for days...

Untitled

60fps 1080p sexy ninja brawling action!

My God GOTY material right there! Also can't wait for PC release of Shinovi Versus next year!

Dave24

Ralizah

The gameplay is incredibly smooth. Kind of incredible when you compare it to the frankly pitiful performance of SK Burst.

Be sure to watch in Chrome on the 1080p60 option.

I'm excited about the Ikki Tousen and DoA DLC characters!

@EdJericho: I'm really looking forward to trying out Homura, Saya, and Super Sonico in that game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Gamer83

If nothing else Senran Kagura is going to have one of the best soundtracks in 2016. If the game is actually decent is another matter entirely. Based on past entries, not much hope for it.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Ralizah

@Gamer83: If you didn't enjoy previous games, you probably won't enjoy this one. It is supposed to be the most polished game in the franchise thus far, however. Unlike the first game, I expect to prefer the gameplay over the story. Which is fine by me, because as much as I enjoy the VN aspects of SK, I play hack and slash games to... hack and slash.

As to best soundtrack in 2016? Persona 5 is releasing soon, so I doubt anything else will even come close.

Ralizah

Can't wait for this opening to play after I first put the game into my PS4 this Summer.

Shinion

@Ralizah: I loved this theme ever since the trailer showcasing it nearly a year ago... But those vocals... Leave something to be desired. It'll be the same as any Persona game and similar to the recent Xenoblade Chronicles X in regards to the soundtrack, I think it will be very polarising and people will either love it or hate it. Fortunately I do love the soundtracks of both recent Persona games so I'm very much looking forward to this one. Yeah I have to agree with you there, not much does tend to come close to Persona, at least on PS4 and I dare not acknowledge other consoles after being rightfully put in my place the other day. I'm confident Ni No Kuni 2's will be excellent along with The Last Guardian but the AAA western games in particular tend to have very forgettable music.

Shinion

Ralizah

@TheLastLugia: Yeah, Western AAA games almost always have very forgettable music. The best music I've heard from a Western game in ages is in Undertale, which was clearly inspired by various Japanese games.

I don't know, I really like the vocals. I actually prefer this over the other Persona openings, in terms of music and vocals. You're probably right about it being polarizing, though.

Shadow of the Colossus had an amazing OST, so I hope TLG follows suit.

Edited on by Ralizah

Gamer83

@Ralizah:
I'm sure Persona 5 will have a great soundtrack as well. I don't play the Persona games but I always pull up the soundtracks on youtube, never been disappointed by the music.

Gamer83

Shinion

So I'm now 2/3rds of the way through The Uncharted Collection, as I completed 2 today. I could rag on about this one as well, but staying positive it's way, way better than Drake's Fortune. A solid 8/10. I'll probably think similarly about 3 as I've heard the gameplay was worse in 3 but it was technically more impressive, particularly in regards to presentation. It's a solid if rarely spectacular franchise in my opinion, I struggle to understand how this series has got as big as it has based on the first 2, I'd say I enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot and the 40% I've played of Rise of the Tomb Raider a lot more. Savvy marketing and 'The Power of PlayStation' working their magic I guess. I love Nathan Drake and the majority of the cast though, except cliché Russian bad guy. He left such a bad taste at the end of 2, what was that final boss fight about at all really? More evidence to add onto the huge pile that already existed that western developers can't do boss fights right. Overall loads of pros to 2 along with the several cons mean I think 8/10 is more than fair.

Shinion

Ralizah

I don't get the love people have for modern ND. I've played Drake's Fortune via PS Now and The Last of Us: Remastered, and while the latter was VERY pretty, I didn't particularly care for my time with either. Golden Abyss would have been OK if it hadn't forced all of the stupid touch control stuff into the game.

IceClimbers

For best soundtrack, we can't forget Zelda Wii U at the end of the year! That'll surely be great.

Anyways, looking forward to Gravity Rush Remastered, Gravity Rush 2, and Ratchet & Clank.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic