Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,621 to 2,640 of 16,083

Buizel

I'm pretty happy with the new PS2 additions, particularly as one of the few who never owned a PS2. Sure, you can get these games cheaper second hand...but why not do that then? I'm happy to pay to have them on my new console, with upscaled graphics, trophies, sharing, etc. to bring them into the modern era.

It is a shame that you can't carry things over from the PS3, though I suppose if you've already bought them on the PS3 you should already have the means to play them. I wouldn't expect them to give you the upgraded versions free of charge, but they could maybe do with an upgrade fee, similar to what Nintendo offer with Wii to Wii U...

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

shingi_70

Ni-no kuni 2 and FFVII remake look gorgeous. I'm one jelly Xbox Owner. Hoping those and the other RPGs make thier way to NX., or I'll have to settle for playing them at my GFs house.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Shinion

@shingi_70: FFVII remake is eventually coming to other platforms, but whether that means Xbox One, PC, NX or all three is anyone's guess ATM. Ni No Kuni also has had mixed messages I've seen, people have said it said 'play it first on PS4' at the show, but both Bandai Namco (the publisher outside of Japan) and Playstation's Twitter and Facebook accounts have called it an exclusive. There's little chance, heck I'd be confident to bet anything, of it being on Xbox One or even PC, but yet again there is the mysterious NX and if NNK2 really isn't a full exclusive and things are positive for NX then it could come out on it. Just don't count on it.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

TheLastLugia wrote:

FFVII remake is eventually coming to other platforms, but whether that means Xbox One, PC, NX or all three is anyone's guess at the moment.

In order of likelihood:

a) PC - 90% likely, especially with the likes of Final Fantasy Type-0 and Dragon Quest Heroes being available for the platform
b) Nintendo NX - 50% likely, considering the foundations and the history of this series, and that they begun life on the NES
c) Xbox One - 10% likely, although that's just me being very, very optimistic, and it doesn't help that Type-0 sold rather poorly (on the Xbox One) too

I think most of these 'console exclusive' games that were shown at the PlayStation Experience yesterday will very likely end up on the PC, but not much else. I think Sony are quite happy to let the PC audience share their wealth of third party games.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

IceClimbers

If they say "console exclusive" then it will be PS4/PC. If they say "console debut" or "play it first on PS4", then it's timed exclusive and can go to other consoles and PC.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

shingi_70

Confusing terminology. Will be bummed if No No kuni doesn't come to another system. However glad it's a console game as it really is the high class animated film compared to Yokai Watches Saturday morning cartoon.

Just assumed most Japanese pubs would make the move to NX since its a console/handheld thingy and handhelds is that regions life blood.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Ralizah

@Octane: Looks like they bumped up the framerate on the PS4 version. I'm pretty sure the game run at 30 fps on Vita.

I've already beaten it twice and platinumed it on Vita, but what the heck, I'll buy it on PS4 and platinum it again. It is was one of my favorite games this gen.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-multi-par...

"LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

So... looks like Square managed to find a way to mess this up already.
Sigh

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

As long as it represents the split between those three discs that FFVII was on, I am perfectly fine with this multi-part series thing they have going. It will give me time to go through it all too!

Sounds like they really want to cram in as much of the original game into the remake, and by doing so, it is going to take a very, very long time. I don't think we will see the whole game until late 2018, early 2019.

It's not like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Gears of War and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, whereby they had all the assets and foundations already in place; this is a full blown 3D remake from a game that had static pre-rendered backgrounds and blocky looking character models.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@shingi_70: I have to ask, considering you talk about RPGs a lot (as well as creating a RPG thread a little while ago too), why did you not pomder about your console purchase(s) knowing that the PlayStation 4 was going to get all those RPGs from the Far East?

For example, it's a bit like me really wanting to play 2D and 3D platformer games, yet I bought an Xbox One and/or a PlayStation 4 instead when I fully well know that the Wii U is home to an array of brilliant platforming games.

Just curious, is all!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Ralizah: It looks really good and doesn't look like a quick port. And yeah, it's 1080p with 60 fps, with all the DLC from the Vita version included.

Octane

Shinion

Yep well done Square-Enix, your insurmountable greed and your obsession with milking the Final Fantasy name always made me think you'd mess this up somehow, but an episodic release for a JRPG? Really? It does not even work with Telltale's games, it's plainly obvious which episodes were made by their A-team so-to-speak, and it diminishes the overall quality as particular episodes are deliberately made just to have a forced cliffhanger at the end, running the full episode just to ensure you get the next one. The only saving grace this may have is that the source material is already there and complete in the original FFVII game, but honestly as someone who hasn't played the game I have to ask people who have how are they going to do this? Cliffhangers before boss fights? Are there any good cut-off points in the original? I can only see this ending up diminishing the quality of the game, and all just so Square-Enix can release a game that has 'Final Fantasy VII' as its name as many times as possible.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

TheLastLugia wrote:

Are there any good cut-off points in the original?

Plenty, and the original game was released on three discs that all ended on a good 'cut off point' too.

Midgar alone is going to be recreated into a 3D city and that alone is going to be a hefty chunk of gameplay and story development.

There's a really good post I found on another fourm that folks need to get their heads around sooner than later:

Think about it.

When a town was a tiny room (a pre-rendered background) that you could walk across the entirety of in 5 seconds, it now needs to be a full 3D environment with the scope that we would really believe is a town.

When a cutscene was 5 polygons and 10 dialogue boxes that you could mash through in 30 seconds, it now needs to be a 5 minute, fully voiced, 3D modelled real time animation.

When a battle was a cut to the same generic "factory" background with less polygonal detail than one strand of Lightning's hair, it now needs to be a unique full 3D environment set piece with spaces to allow for combat interactions that feel satisfying in the modern context.

Making FFVII with modern detail means inflating the size of the game significantly. If people don't yet understand that... think it through.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@Peek-a-boo: yeah you're absolutely right. I am A-OK with giving Square-Enix the benefit of the doubt that totally remaking a game more than a decade old is too strenuous for one release on the PS4, so that necessitated this to happen. I am also A-OK in thinking that there are acceptable cut-off points that won't leave a prolonged effect on the immersion in the game. I am also A-OK in thinking that S-E's Japanese studio(s) wil, not be overwhelmed by working on new major installments in the Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest series, and can also dedicate the necessary time and attention that an episodic release needs. In case you missed it that was sarcasm as I believe all that considered the game's quality will be affected.

But what I am absolutely NOT A-OK with is why/how this got announced. Why didn't they say it was episodic back at E3? Why didn't they say it on stage on Saturday? Yeah have all those people having fangasams on screen, imagine what they would've done/said if you announced it to be episodic, you wouldn't have got those same reactions, I can guarantee you that. This is just another perfect example of a greedy AAA publisher being secretive and slimy (Dragon Quest pun lol) in the information they disclose. That's why I'm not in agreement with you that Sony's E3 was the best thing since sliced bread, all three of their main annocnemtns have gone in limbo, and it's took 4 months for this dirt to be dug up about the main one. It's the whole videogame hype culture and I'm sick of it, deceiving people. Sony and S-E can shove this game now as far as I'm concerned.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

TheLastLugia wrote:

But what I am absolutely NOT A-OK with is why/how this got announced. Why didn't they say it on stage on Saturday?.

Because they are wise enough to know that it would have soured the first gameplay reveal of Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Yeah, I am not overly happy at the u-turn in just over a day after the PlayStation Experience however, I keep having to tell myself that it is not only a very, very ambitious undertaking, but that it is finally happening, even if it isn't quite in the format we all hoped for.

This is Square-Enix's decision by the way; I very much doubt Sony has anything to do it so, there's no need to grumble on their behalf!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

TheLastLugia wrote:

That's why I'm not in agreement with you that Sony's E3 was the best thing since sliced bread, all three of their main annocnemtns have gone in limbo, and it's took 4 months for this dirt to be dug up about the main one.

Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian are still coming though. I don't see the problem with those titles.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Oh, Hob looks really interesting! I like refreshingly new and original looking experiences like those.

Onto the subject of games, someone kindly took the time to make a decent table of both the first party and console exclusive games that is coming out on the PlayStation 4 next year and beyond. I have to say, I genuinely need a second life to be able to play a small percentage of these:

Untitled

I'm quite happy to play Street Fighter V all year long!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic