Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,581 to 2,600 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

Ubisoft have made four great games so far:

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (I should say that Syndicate is a remarkable improvement on the mess that was Unity though)
Child of Light
Rayman Legends
Valiant Hearts: The Great War (had a lump in my throat by the end of Emile's journey)

The bottom three games uses the wonderful UbiArt engine, which is very underused in my opinion. More of those please!

I did not add Far Cry 4 because it was clear that it was not only a cross-generation game, but it was just Far Cry 3 set in the Himalayas with a baddie - and a weak story - that was only relevant in the first five minutes and the last five minutes. Poor 'storytelling' all-round.

A sequel to Watch_Dogs would be welcome if they can fix the number out problems the original suffered.

We should remember that the first Assassin's Creed was more of a glorified tech-demo playground whereas the sequel built upon its foundations and ended up being arguably the best in the series. I can see Watch_Dogs following the same path if they do it right.

I like Ubisoft, but they need to start preparing for a life without the usual yearly line up of Assassin's Creed and Just Dance sequels.

Peek-a-boo

Peach64

I've not bought the last two Assassins games, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they take the series to Japan and play around with ninjas. If they actually make some tweaks to the gameplay for that (and they DO upgrade the mechanics often) then it could be really fun again.

Peach64

Blast

Peach64 wrote:

I've not bought the last two Assassins games, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they take the series to Japan and play around with ninjas. If they actually make some tweaks to the gameplay for that (and they DO upgrade the mechanics often) then it could be really fun again.

Everyone keeps hyping up a Japanese setting but just because there's ninjas... doesn't everything is now super awesome. AC still needs better writing more than anything else.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Blast: There are plenty of western games that don't sell in Japan... Different cultures like different things. You can't force everyone to enjoy the same games you like.

Lol you conveniently (or just accidentally) hide the fact that Japanese games sell a lot better in the west than western games sell in japan.
Cultural relativism is nonsense. The west is just better at this sort of thing.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Rumorlife

Slightly off track, but I just wanted to say how surprised I was at how many PS4 units my Best Buy sold over Thanksgiving/Black Friday. It was like 1 in every 3 customers I got had one and some people bought 2 for whatever reason. Mostly those Uncharted bundles, just a few CoD bundles. Nobody wanted that Darth Vader one apparently. But yeah, I'd love to know how many units they sold over the holiday total.

Rumorlife

Peek-a-boo

There was a 380,000 difference in sales between the Xbox One (1,320,000) and PlayStation 4 (940,000) this time last year.

You could buy an Xbox One with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed: Unity and either an extra controller or a $60 gift voucher for $329 for a shy over two MONTHS.

On the other hand, the cheapest PlayStation 4 deal at the time was a 500GB PlayStation 4 with Grand Theft Auto V and The Last of Us for $399 for two DAYS only.

This year is going to be much closer; I foresee both companies selling over a million, but that Uncharted Collection bundle for $299 was selling like hot cakes according to my close American friends.

My prediction is 1,056,000 for the Xbox One and 1,128,000 for the PlayStation 4, a gap of just 72,000 between the two however, it is a gap that's big enough to extend the lead to over one million in favour of the PS4 (in the US).

Peek-a-boo

Peach64

Really disappointed in the way Sony have gone about putting PS2 titles on PS4. On PS3, the PS1 and PS2 classics were just ISO dumps running on an emulator. It's just like how Nintendo do the Virtual Console. You get the emulator running, there's no need for any more work on the games themselves. It's cheap and it's easy. With the PS4, they're not just ISO dumps, but they're updating the games, upscaling them to 1080 and adding in all the PS4 OS stuff. It means that you can't just download all the PS2 classics you already bought. Do people really want this? Is having trophies and 1080p better than having all your all stuff transfer over? It's like Nintendo's take on remasters. Do some work that doesn't need to be done, and then charge way more for it.

I wish I was strong enough to vote with my wallet and not buy any, but damn it they're putting Dark Cloud up, for less than half the price of what a poor condition used copy goes for these days

Peach64

Ryno

It's interesting to observe how Sony is handling B/C this gen. I remember the complaints about Nintendo charging $1-$2 for VC "upgrades." But good for Sony though, make that money however you can.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Shinion

The prices are undoubtably excessive, though I'm not surprised considering it's Sony and for us poor saps in the UK we'll have to brace ourselves for the inevitable stealth price-hike Sony will do just because they can get away with it. I think I'll stick to PS Now and my PS3 to play the relatively few PS2 titles I still want to play. But damn I will happily pay that price the day Persona 4 is made available through this in the UK/Europe, as it is still unbelievably only possible to play Persona 4 on a PS2 in the UK, and I haven't got one of those readily available anymore. Just give us a downloadable version of it on PS3 or 4 please Atlus!

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Ralizah

I don't really mind. It just means I won't buy one out of curiosity. I'll wait until something that I really want releases.

I'd get San Andreas if I didn't have an almost entirely unplayed copy of GTA V still sitting on my shelf. I can't justify buying more GTA games when I haven't even played much of the current-gen one. Not to mention I already own a copy on my PS2.

I'm really hoping they give this treatment to Fatal Frame or some Atlus RPGs.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

rallydefault

Eh, I think the PS2 backwards pricing is pretty dirty. If you're committed to playing a decent amount of those games, it may actually be cheaper long-term to just scout around for a used PS2 and the games you want on discs. Even "rare" stuff like FF Tactics can be had for less than 15 bucks if you don't care about the instruction booklet and such.

rallydefault

Peek-a-boo

The PS2 Classics were always $9.99 on the PlayStation 3, which nobody really begrudged as it it both an accessible and affordable price for ten to fifteen year old games.

$14.99 is a bit of a hike, yet with all of those extra things on top such as each and every game being up-rendered to 1080p along with the features you expect from a PS4 game including Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals with PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App.

It's not just 'here are the PS2 games, exactly the same as they were all these years ago with a price hike for no good reason', but is actually a decent amount of effort by bringing modern day features to every single game that shall be available to buy, and in up-rendered 1080p too.

I'm not their target audience as I only missed out on the 8-bit and 16-bit days however, whilst the price(s) are not quite as attractive as they could have been, I am not blinded by the fact that each game have been given a breath of fresh air rather than being dumped onto the PlayStation store and left as it is.

Still, the Wii U and Xbox One has the edge in backwards compatibility, but as both Nintendo and Sony openly reported with the Wii and the first model of the PS3 respectively, less than 1% of those who had a console at the time played old games on their newer systems.

Food for thought!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo: It would be an interesting comparison to see how many people would be willing to pay for all the extra stuff that has been added in the games if they put the untouched original games on the PS Store as well for €5/€10. I personally don't care about the sharing features, trophies, remote play, etc. I just want to play some classic PS2 games. The price is a bit steep, but as @Relizah said, that means I'm only buying the games I really want and not any games out of curiosity.

Octane

SuperWiiU

Peek-a-boo wrote:

It's not just 'here are the PS2 games, exactly the same as they were all these years ago with a price hike for no good reason', but is actually a decent amount of effort by bringing modern day features to each and every single game that shall be available to buy, and in up-rendered 1080p too.

All those features are already part of the PS4, and manuals on second screen is even easier, you can do the same with a PDF manual to your phone or tablet. Achieving the 1080p is also easy because they're using PS2 emulator code which already supports that. So it would require no serious extra effort. And 2D Games like King Of Fighters 2000 won't even benefit from it.

It's still a big scam they're not allowing PS2 Classic purchases on PS3 to carry over(or at least offer 50% discounts) nor support discs to download like on the Xbox One.

Peach64

It's not even the price that bothers me, it's the fact we have to buy them again, and they have to work on each one, so we'll get a slow trickle instead of them just being able to put all the current PS2 classics up on day 1.

Peach64

Shinion

But hey, at least we can all agree that this is better than paying Nintendo $8-10 to get Super Mario World/64/Ocarina of Time/Super Mario Bros 3 for the millionth time on our new console. I just hope Sony do give attention to more obscure titles, and don't just be lazy and get GTA, Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank, God of War. We've all played those already, and the PS4 already has or will have new and better versions of each.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

TheLastLugia wrote:

But hey, at least we can all agree that this is better than paying Nintendo $8-10 to get Super Mario World/64/Ocarina of Time/Super Mario Bros 3 for the millionth time on our new console.

For some odd reason, Nintendo fans don't seem to mind paying more than once for their Virtual Console games on various systems (the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U) whereas Sony implemented one of the very best things that has happened to videogames, with their brilliant cross-buy and cross-play feature, on the PS3, PS Vita and PS4.

This is probably why:

Nintendo = okay...
Sony = bad!

Also, don't we have to pay $10 for N64 games on the Wii U? That's a whole generation older too.

I still think that those who already have a particular PS2 Classic on their PlayStation 3 definitely should have some kind of discount though.

TheLastLugia wrote:

I just hope Sony do give attention to more obscure titles, and don't just be lazy and get GTA, Final Fantasy, Ratchet & Clank, God of War. We've all played those already, and the PS4 already has or will have new and better versions of each.

To be honest, outside of the three Grand Theft Auto games, I think the first wave of games are pretty niche and obscure!

Dark Cloud
PaRappa the Rapper 2
Rogue Galaxy
The King of Fighters 2000
The Mark of Kri
Twisted Metal: Black
War of the Monsters

That's a great - albeit small - start, for me.

Only four more hours to go until the PlayStation Experience begins!

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic