Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,541 to 2,560 of 16,083

Ralizah

@Blast: Commercials? Word of mouth? Probably the same way you find out about things in areas you're only casually interested in.

Akiba's Trip is definitely a lot of fun, but it's not really like a Persona game at all. Something like Mind Zero might be more up your alley, if that's what you're looking for. Unless you're just talking about anime-styled games in general.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

RR529

@Blast, the average gamer finds out about games by what advertisements they see on TV, or what they hear about word of mouth from their family/friends. That means they play the occasional CoD, Destiny, Madden/Fifa, Fallout, ect., and are completely satisfied with that (and there's nothing wrong with that).

The number of people who feel passionate enough about games to go to online sites like this or Push Square, IGN, ect., are a very small minority of any particular console's user base. Every single Playstation fan online could be excited for and buy the new JRPG coming out, and that would still be just a very small minority of the people who own the system overall.

Probably 80-90% of the PS4's/XOne's userbase, are just people who don't have any particular brand loyalty, and only got it because it's the system their friends have, or they got a good deal on. They got it so they can play CoD & Madden with their friends, and don't actively look into other games because they're content with what they have.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Blast

RR529 wrote:

@Blast, the average gamer finds out about games by what advertisements they see on TV, or what they hear about word of mouth from their family/friends. That means they play the occasional CoD, Destiny, Madden/Fifa, Fallout, ect., and are completely satisfied with that (and there's nothing wrong with that).

The number of people who feel passionate enough about games to go to online sites like this or Push Square, IGN, ect., are a very small minority of any particular console's user base. Every single Playstation fan online could be excited for and buy the new JRPG coming out, and that would still be just a very small minority of the people who own the system overall.

Probably 80-90% of the PS4's/XOne's userbase, are just people who don't have any particular brand loyalty, and only got it because it's the system their friends have, or they got a good deal on. They got it so they can play CoD & Madden with their friends, and don't actively look into other games because they're content with what they have.

If this is true... What kinda world am I living in?! My mind is blown

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MrGawain

Blast wrote:

RR529 wrote:

It's not just games, I'm into music and it astonishes me the amount of people between 25-40 that I know who have never even heard of bands like Alice Cooper, The Who, The Bee Gees... I would of thought they were household names but apparently not. I guess in a world where people can pick exactly what they like (through iTunes, Netflix, even online takeaway food ordering), everything else is disregarded and not even considered.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Blast

MrGawain wrote:

Blast wrote:

RR529 wrote:

It's not just games, I'm into music and it astonishes me the amount of people between 25-40 that I know who have never even heard of bands like Alice Cooper, The Who, The Bee Gees... I would of thought they were household names but apparently not. I guess in a world where people can pick exactly what they like (through iTunes, Netflix, even online takeaway food ordering), everything else is disregarded and not even considered.

Wow. This is sad....

Master of the Hype Train

Peek-a-boo

@Blast: Althought the ratio is lower than the oft-generous attachment rate for Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, first party games like Bloodborne, Driveclub, inFAMOUS Second Son, Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack (surprisingly underrated) and The Last of Us Remastered are all million selling games.

I believe Bloodborne passed the two million milestone a couple of months ago, which is very good for a game of its kind!

Both Germany and Great Britain seems to like racing games a lot as Driveclub has sold over two million (since June). Gran Turismo 7 will sell over three times that, easily.

So, yeah, while the likes of Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, FIFA and Madden pull in the majority of the punters, it is still worth celebrating the other first party games that sell over a million copies as it is difficult to do so nowadays, especially with new IP's too.

Peek-a-boo

Blast

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@Blast: Althought the ratio is lower than the oft-generous attachment rate for Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, first party games like Bloodborne, Driveclub, inFAMOUS Second Son, Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack (surprisingly underrated) and The Last of Us Remastered are all million selling games.

I believe Bloodborne passed the two million milestone a couple of months ago, which is very good for a game of its kind!

Both Germany and Great Britain seems to like racing games a lot as Driveclub has sold over two million (since June). Gran Turismo 7 will sell over three times that, easily.

So, yeah, while the likes of Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, FIFA and Madden pull in the majority of the punters, it is still worth celebrating the other first party games that sell over a million copies as it is difficult to do so nowadays, especially with new IP's too.

I hear you. It's just... The sales for games I actually care about are JRPGS and niche games. Western games will sell whether they deserve the high sales or not.

Master of the Hype Train

Ralizah

@WebHead: Yeah, apparently there are going to be visual enhancements and whatnot on the games as well. It'll be more like playing them on an emulator than playing them on the original console they released on.

I'm just glad to finally hear something about PS2 game compatibility on PS4.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

WebHead

@SuperWiiU: Odds are they'll go the digital classics route, Hopefullly priced $10 or less. Sucks the same can't happen for PS3 but I guess the Cell processor is too costly to implement and too difficult to emulate.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Peek-a-boo

WebHead wrote:

Sucks the same can't happen for PS3, but I guess the CELL processor is too costly to implement and too difficult to emulate.

Been saying this for the past two years; Sony were in trouble, financially, before the PlayStation 4 was released and wanted each unit to be profitable from day one, which it has been and continue to be.

Adding the CELL architecture would have been welcome, but not only is it very costly, even to this day, the emulation would still have been quite troublesome anyway, due to the entirely different ways in which the PS3 and PS4 work, hardware wise.

I would love to buy and play some PlayStation 2 classics - at the right price, though.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/25/9797964/ps4-sales-worldwid...

As of Sunday the 22nd of November, the PlayStation 4 has sold over 30.2 million worldwide. With its first ever price cut back in early October, the momentum is surely only going to increase from here on out.

To put it in perspective, the PlayStation 2 took 26 months to hit 30 million whereas the PlayStation 4 did it in almost 24 months.

Also, the 2:1 ratio (to the Xbox One) is absolutely in effect now too.

Last but not least, The Old Hunters expansion for Bloodborne is probably the best add-on I have ever played. For those of you who want more Bloodborne in your life, I cannot recommend the expansion any higher. The first boss alone is up there with the very best in the main game, which is a great feat in itself!

Here's a review for those of you who are on the fence: - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-23-bloodborne-the-o...

Peek-a-boo

Blast

@Peek-a-boo: I know you don't mean harm buy I really hate it when people bring up PS4 sales but don't bring up how JRPGS don't sell like crazy on PS4. When you have a install base that big but can't make a JRPG sell over a million... Something is wrong. I swear it's like everyone just buys the big Western games.

Master of the Hype Train

Octane

@Blast: There are plenty of western games that don't sell in Japan... Different cultures like different things. You can't force everyone to enjoy the same games you like.

Octane

Blast

Octane wrote:

@Blast: There are plenty of western games that don't sell in Japan... Different cultures like different things. You can't force everyone to enjoy the same games you like.

Not forcing anyone to like JRPGS... Just don't care how big the install base of PS4 is.... Especially when it's so huge that games dont sell like 3 million easily.

Master of the Hype Train

Peek-a-boo

@Octane: Funnily enough, both Black Ops III and Star Wars Battlefront topped the Japanese charts when they were released, the former has sold over 200,000 copies since it came out and the latter sold 123,000 in just a couple of days!

@Blast: Once the big hitters such as Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest are out, we shall see if the Western audience are still fond of those big Japanese franchises. Metal Gear Solid V, for example, sold very well in Europe and the US respectively.

Bloodborne, a once-niche series, has passed the two million milestone a little while ago, and that's very good for an exclusive game on a single format too.

It's not all doom and gloom. It is just a little bit harder to stand out from an increasingly busy crowd nowadays.

Both Dragon Quest Heroes and Tales of Zestiria sold a few hundred thousand copies, and that is pretty much in line with how those kind of games are (realistically) expected to sell. I personally do not think there is anything to worry about at present!

I just posted those life-to-date figures purely because it is good to see that our hobby is a relatively healthy market considering the doom and gloom before this new generation begun, as well as the advent of mobile games (becoming more and more popular) too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic