Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,281 to 2,300 of 16,083

Gamer83

I'm still giving MS the advantage because of Halo 5 and Tomb Raider. It may be a lot closer now though. Before this news MS was set to easily dominate the holidays.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

Gamer83 wrote:

Before this news, Microsoft was set to easily dominate the holidays in the US of A only.

I agree!

As for the limited edition PlayStation 4 models, it is only the orange-stripey Call of Duty: Black Ops III and the Darth Vader Star Wars Battlefront consoles that are indeed 'limited edition', only two of the biggest third party games this holiday, especially with the eagerly and long awaited Star Wars film coming out as well.

Outside of that, you have the standard Star Wars Battlefront and Uncharted Collection going for $349, which is the current RRP for an Xbox One. Sony could not have dropped the price at a better time than today, especially a week after Microsoft unveiled all their many, many bundles for this holiday season, and their prices too.

Interesting times ahead.

Peek-a-boo

Gamer83

The only thing that would've made it better would've been had Sony had at least one big holiday exclusive. It really needs to get better at that. Two holidays in a row now where it has failed to deliver on that front.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

@Gamer83: To be fair, neither Halo 5 or Uncharted 4 will sell as much as Call of Duty: Black Ops III and Star Wars Battlefront however, I agree that, yes, next Christmas, Sony will really need to put more empathise on releasing one or two well known games during their holiday season.

I can see Gran Turismo 7 (Japan and Europe always go crazy for this series) and Horizon: Zero Dawn being two of the likeliest candidates to be released aroundabouts this time next year. I can also foresee Final Fantasy XV being available late in the year next year too, which may as well be a PS4 exclusive given the really poor sales (a shy over 10%) for Type-0 on the Xbox One.

The limited edition Destiny: The Taken King bundle is now $349 on Amazon.com and is already top of the (monthly) console chart. Destiny is not as 'strong' a franchise as Call of Duty or Star Wars so, goodness know what effect those two will have closer to the time!

Peek-a-boo

foodmetaphors

Peek-a-boo wrote:

It only took a shy over a 22 months before the PlayStation 4 gets its first official price drop; something that is unheard of in the videogames industry!

Here goes, for US and Canadian citizens:

Untitled

$50 less than before, and before anybody cries foul at the Canadian prices, the dollar is especially weak at the moment and is hardly Sony's fault for keeping the price in line with other countries; US $349 = CAD $455, therefore $429 Canadian dollars is actually lower than today's current exchange rates!

The last - and arguably only - remaining 'battlefield' for Microsoft is going to be even more interesting this Christmas, especially considering they revealed their seasonal line-up this time last week:

Untitled

Sometimes an abundance of a choice isn't necessarily a good thing. Their flagship game, Halo 5, is bundled with a console for $500, which is absurd - I expect the Kinect to be thrown in for that price. The limited edition Star Wars PS4 bundle however is $100 less!

These are crazy (but good) times ahead for US and Canadian shoppers.

True story, I looked first at the Wii U section to see if anybody had started a "PS4 GETS PRICE CUT IS WII U DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED?!11??!" thread

everything's good and it'll be that way forever!

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9105-7282 | Nintendo Network ID: FXM-729 | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@foodmetaphors: To be fair, the Wii U is already doomed, and long before the price cut too.

There's only four Wii U bundles to choose from this Christmas:

1) Super Mario Maker plus the Modern Colour Mario amiibo
2) Splatoon (annoyingly, it is only a download code, not a physical copy of the game)
3) Mario Kart 8 including both DLC character and track packs
4) Super Mario 3D World along with Nintendo Land already pre-installed

All four are priced at $300; it's only an extra $50 to buy a PlayStation 4 and a bundled game (Destiny: The Taken King, Star Wars Battlefront and Uncharted Collection, for example) and that's not exactly making the Wii U look particularly desirable. Unless Nintendo drops the price by $50 soon-ish, of course!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

foodmetaphors wrote:

True story, I looked first at the Wii U section to see if anybody had started a "PS4 GETS PRICE CUT IS WII U DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED?!11??!" thread

I think that ship has probably already sailed if NX is coming as soon as people are saying it will.

At least we're getting games on it that will last us years.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SuperWiiU

Peek-a-boo wrote:

All four are priced at $300; it's only an extra $50 to buy a PlayStation 4 and a bundled game (Destiny: The Taken King, Star Wars Battlefront and Uncharted Collection, for example) and that's not exactly making the Wii U look particularly desirable. Unless Nintendo drops the price by $50 soon, of course!

They should with this news, if they still want to good holiday season for the Wii U now is the time to bring a price cut to at least 250.

Haru17

It's pretty spectacular that the Wii U hasn't at least dropped to the Wii's launch price by now. I bet they're really regretting that whole tablet screen thing now...

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Peek-a-boo

Moving onto another subject altogether, I have been playing the Star Wars Battlefront beta and despite the simplistic nature of the deathmatch-style gameplay, it is surprisingly good fun and is a real looker too; the explosions and laser effects looks like they have come straight out of the early films!

Only negative is that the Empire side is quite a bit more powerful than the Rebels. Plenty of time to make appropriate changes though.

This is going to be such a popular game once the new Star Wars film is showing at all cinemas.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

These are all in-game captures!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Tasuki

Haru17 wrote:

It's pretty spectacular that the Wii U hasn't at least dropped to the Wii's launch price by now. I bet they're really regretting that whole tablet screen thing now...

It was a novel idea but they should have market it as an add on or made the 3DS work in a fashion similar to the Vita with the PS4 instead of forcing it on developers and consumers.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Haru17

Darth Vader and Luke's animations actually look really good. The game is noticeably lacking the level design and diverse playstyles that the old Battlefront games had from what I've seen so far, though.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17 wrote:

Darth Vader and Luke's animations actually look really good. The game is noticeably lacking the level design and diverse playstyles that the old Battlefront games had from what I've seen so far, though.

My only complaint is not so much the level design (although there's a few instances in which the Empire has more of an advantage, especially their spawn points), but that the very last mission objective as a Rebel fighter is totally unfair due to you coming out of the Hoth base and out into the snowy open.

Once out into the open, you face an uphill fight with only the (surprisingly low) trenches as cover. On top of the hill is nothing but AT-ST's continuously firing at the entrance of the Hoth base as well as the Empire fighters lining up on top of the hill, swaying left and right whilst shooting whatever weapon(s) they happen to have.

And there is a lot of cheeky hiding places for them too!

Totally unfair; I have only won one match as the Rebels and that was all down to good teamwork, and a helpful sprinkling of luck too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Gamer83

@Peek-a-boo:
I'd love to see at least one of Horizon: Zero Dawn or Gran Turismo 7 in 2016 but I can't shake the feeling that neither will be out before late 2017. Sony has been very slow on the exclusives this gen.

Gamer83

SuperWiiU

Gamer83 wrote:

@Peek-a-boo:
I'd love to see at least one of Horizon: Zero Dawn or Gran Turismo 7 in 2016 but I can't shake the feeling that neither will be out before late 2017. Sony has been very slow on the exclusives this gen.

Late 2017 is a bit early for GT7 going by how long it took the other GT's to get released... Maybe a GT7 Prologue will be out by then.

Ralizah

Tried the beta last night. Walker Assault is, indeed, wildly unbalanced. I know for a fact that the other team (Rebels, in this case) played much better than my team did, yet they still lost by a pretty healthy margin.

The mode with the pods was... pretty standard FPS stuff. I mean, it looks good and plays well, but it's unimaginative.

Edited on by Ralizah

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah: I like the drop pods matches as I love zipping upwards with my jet pack and shooting the (oncoming) Empire soldiers in the distance that are hurrying towards the present captured pod; you are much more vulnerable, but it makes the kills all the more rewarding!

It's quite odd really - I thoroughly enjoy playing this game, yet I find myself wondering if I am actually having fun. A rather unusual feeling indeed, but hey-ho.

I think that because the Star Wars-esque audio and visuals are absolutely spot on, I am more invested into the game than I would be if it had been 'generic shooter number 69'.

My friend phoned up earlier and he had been playing this on his Xbox One. To my surprise, he didn't think the game looked particularly good! Says it looks a bit blurry.

Just found out why. The PlayStation 4 version is 900p whereas the Xbox One version is 720p, which is a hefty 56% decrease in terms of pixel count (!)

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo: Oh, definitely. I would play this long before I'd play another Call of Duty or Battlefield game.

If they fix the game balance in the full release, don't have very many issues with online play, and give it a variety of game modes, I might grab it just to have a shooter other than Splatoon to play once in a while.

Is 720p really that big a downgrade in visual quality? Either way, if they did that to keep the game running at 60 fps, they made the right choice. The PS4 is going to be this gen's Xbox 360, in terms of the big publishers all using it as their primary development platform.

Edited on by Ralizah

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah wrote:

Is 720p really that big a downgrade in visual quality?

Untitled

The above image is taken from a professional HDTV testing website.

It's not overly difficult to see why my friend thinks Star Wars Battlefront looks a bit blurry on his Xbox One; Luther (Idris Elba) looks rather blurry on 720p whereas he looks a lot sharper at 1080p - the former, compared to the latter, is a 56% reduction in image quality.

I guess that answers your question!

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic