Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

@SuperWiiU: Yet going by their most recent quarterly report, they have absolutely no need to bow to any pressure of dropping the price ... because there is no pressure to speak of!

Sure, the Xbox One will do pretty well in the U.S. (since it is an American product through and through) however, if the PlayStation 4 is 'beating it' in its very own backyard, and at $50 dearer too, then why drop the price?

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Peek-a-boo wrote:

(since it is an American product through and through)

That means nothing; everything is made by Foxconn and impoverished workers in developing countries.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Shinion

@Haru17: people don't care about that stuff though, it's all about the brand, and Microsoft and the Xbox are about as American as a brand can get. Sony are more universal, and even Nintendo to some extent, which is why Europe and particularly Japan find it easy to shun the Xbox, because they know it's Yanks in suits that rake in the real money from that thing. Believe it or not, here in the UK, I'd wager a significant proportion of people don't even know Sony are a Japanese company, they just love the Playstation brand and so blindly follow it.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

Haru17 wrote:

Peek-a-boo wrote:

(since it is an American product through and through)

That means nothing; everything is made by Foxconn and impoverished workers in developing countries.

I meant American (through and through) as in the product being made by Americans and is also made with Americans in mind, but then I think you already knew what I was talking about in the first place!

Peek-a-boo

electrolite77

@Peek-a-boo:

MS will do what they did last year and put all their effort into November and December but the best they'll manage is a couple of months of parity/edging top place in the US, Sony used to use price drops to devastating effect in the PS1 days but I'm not sure they need to/can afford to do that now.

They;ve got the obvious things right. Decent specs, good price, great marketing, a good quality gimmick-free controller and phenomenal variety of software which is what people want above all else. Yes you can pull apart non-exclusives and remakes and it's not the most scientific measure but on Metacritic the PS4 already has 82 games rated 80+. That will be well over 100 by the end of the year. It seems so obvious it's amazing others don't get it right yet Sony consistently do (first couple of years of the PS3 and handhelds aside)

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Shinion

@electrolite77: you were doing so well, then you tripped at the final hurdle. You can't just say that a company consistently 'gets it' when their last 2/4 game systems were at the very best a rocky road to success and at worse a disaster that the company blatantly ignores. I still remember the days, or rather months, that the PS3 was bundled with TVs, microwaves and vacuums here in the UK because no one wanted the thing and they knew how much of a rip-off it was.

Nintendo have been castigated and decimated for the Wii U but lest we forget that every other system they've had bar it since the GameCube has been a success? Credit where it's due, the PS4 has been a phenomenal success but one swallow does not make a summer and I'm already looking forward to what game systems Nintendo, Sony and even Microsoft will launch next. All this without even mentioning the Playstation Vita TV or whatever the hell that thing was. If I had money, a lot of money involved in this 'console wars' I'd sooner take what I've got and run, because I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone can predict what will happen with the next systems.

Shinion

electrolite77

@TheLastLugia:

Which is why I said 'first couple of years of the PS3 and the handhelds aside'. I expect this will be their fourth straight home console to clear 80 million sales. Thats remarkable and unmatched consistency. As a Vita owner and someone who thought the PSP was awful (and has no idea what they're trying to do with Vita TV) I know they're by no means perfect but if there is such a thing as a model to follow when it comes to home consoles its Sony or indeed Nintendo's most successful consoles which funnily enough have offered a very wide variety of software. Thats the key.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Shinion

@electrolite77: yeah to be clear I do agree with you, but the ending of that just weakens the praise, put it another way and I could say that Platinum Games consistently get it bar The Wonderful 101, Okami, The Legend of Korra, Madworld and Bayonetta 2 (as I think Bayonetta 1 is their only game to sell over 1 million without re-releases). You can't just ignore a company's faults when giving them praise and assessing them in general, a 'Let's just forget this ever happened and focus on the positives' is far too optimistic an attitude for me.

I'm loving my PS4 and 3 (only got it very late so I'm playing catch up) and no one can fault the former it seems, but as I say let's just wait and see if Sony capitalises on this dominance they have, as I loved the limited use I got out of my PSPs and really wanted the Vita to be a success, as the gaming world needs handheld competition almost as much as the console one, the domination Nintendo have in that borders on a monopoly, as you name a major handheld franchise Nintendo have probably already flogged 10+ million copies of software on it on 3DS already. And people actually beloved this 'Nintendoomed' and think Nintendo are in trouble rubbish.

Shinion

Ryno

I'm curious, to the Europeans, what makes the Xbox seem so "American?"

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Ryno

SuperWiiU wrote:

It's called the Xbox.

Oh, ok, got it. "Playstation" sounds much more elegant.

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Peach64

For what it's worth, I don't think Europe is buying more PS4 than Xbox because the latter is American. The 360 did very well in Europe, the UK especially. It's more to do with the fact that very early on it became clear the PS4 was going to be the lead platform for many games. Last time it was the 360 being the lead platform and you ended up with some great games getting bad PS3 ports, like the Elderscrolls and Fallout games, and Bayonetta.

Peach64

SuperWiiU

Peach64 wrote:

For what it's worth, I don't think Europe is buying more PS4 than Xbox because the latter is American. The 360 did very well in Europe, the UK especially. It's more to do with the fact that very early on it became clear the PS4 was going to be the lead platform for many games. Last time it was the 360 being the lead platform and you ended up with some great games getting bad PS3 ports, like the Elderscrolls and Fallout games, and Bayonetta.

Wasn't The Elderscrolls IV a better game on PS3 because it was an enhanced port?

Haru17

Peek-a-boo wrote:

I meant American (through and through) as in the product being made by Americans and is also made with Americans in mind, but then I think you already knew what I was talking about in the first place!

American minds, east Asian materials and workers. Either way, it's not American 'through and through' if you literally can't touch the product without touching materials shipped across the world. All I ask is that we not lie to ourselves here.

Haru17

SuperWiiU wrote:

Wasn't The Elders Scrolls IV a better game on PS3 because it was an enhanced port?

Grammar.

And I think he means Skyrim, which got a bad rap on PS3.

DefHalan

SuperWiiU wrote:

Peach64 wrote:

Wasn't The Elderscrolls IV a better game on PS3 because it was an enhanced port?

From what I heard the Oblivion port on PS3 was terrible.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Shinion

@Ryno: err because all the suits who speak and market the damn thing are American? Because all the actors in the adverts are American? Because a huge majority of games that are advertised and particularly exclusive to Xbox just scream ''merica f*** yeah!'.? Because everyone and their dog knows that the Xbox is 100% Microsoft and everyone and their dog knows that Microsoft are one of the biggest American companies? I speak as a British person who has been in several situations where at the very least semi-intelligent people (though obviously not gamers) have said "Sony are a Japanese company?". With the Xbox, I don't think I've ever known anyone who is that oblivious to its origin.

Oh and with regards to people using the 360/PS3 success debate to argue against particularly British people being anti-American because they happily bought a 360, I'd counter that and say I know personally quite a lot of people who really are that anti-American that they will avoid their products as much as possible unless they have no alternative. I'm glad I'm not like them, but those people don't even buy Apple products, let alone Microsoft ones when there's a 'better' and cheaper alternative to the Xbox One in the PS4. I'd say it's nip and tuck how successful the Xbox branding is, I personally love it, but as I said earlier, Sony and the Playstation are more universal and so are easier for people like those anti-American idiots to be loyal to (even though I personally find Sony to be the most anti-consumer out of the big 3).

Shinion

Ryno

@TheLastLugia: So do Europeans mostly use Apple instead of Windows?

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Ryno

DefHalan wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

From what I heard the Oblivion port on PS3 was terrible.

I played Oblivion on my PS3 but like a lot of ports, the PS3 version wasn't the best but it was still playable.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic